Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

pitrn wrote: »
    MINDMED is a 3 euro share on frankfurt stock exchange..Is this the stock that's being discussed?

MMQ or BGMH - These are the psylocibyn company trading as MMED in Canada, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

80s Child wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with lodgements with Degiro?

I lodged funds on the 3rd and they're still not in the account. I emailed them but just got the standard 'we are experiencing high volumes etc'

Lodged money last wed, was in acc thurs afternoon. Check the iban, they changed it recently

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

MMQ or BGMH - These are the psylocibyn company trading as MMED in Canada, eh?

Exactly this is the reason I asked... different stocks but similar names...wasn't sure. Like there is already less confusion where to invest!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

@80s child
    Is this the bank details you entered for lodging?

Dont send to this one!! This is Skippy alongs Flatex account!!, not yours, you can find it in your emails or log into Degiro, then click the top right "Deposit/Withdraw" - Manual Deposit , it will then show your your deposit IBAN etc details.
    I usually find it takes about 3 working days for the deposit to show up.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

if I transfer the money in the morning before 9, I have it in Degiro account at 2-3 the same day. It's much faster than previously and no issues at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Supercell wrote: »
    Dont send to this one!! This is Skippy alongs Flatex account!!, not yours, you can find it in your emails or log into Degiro, then click the top right "Deposit/Withdraw" - Manual Deposit , it will then show your your deposit IBAN etc details.
    I usually find it takes about 3 working days for the deposit to show up.

Jasus i have deleted it sorry about that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

DutchYurt wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on NIO and the offering of new shares? Think this will dramatically affect the SP?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/12/11/why-nio-stock-is-down-today/

This has happened with a a couple of Chinese stocks lately.

<Conspiracy theory time>Could the board be selling their shares at high prices before they're kicked out of the US?</Conspiracy theory time>

It's going to dilute your share holding so short term the price will go down but if the company is any good then the share price will go back up. IF...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Wombatman wrote: »

Over the short term CDR will be a bit crazy and there'll be a lot of knee jerk reactions but I think they'll be making money off CyberPunk for a few years to come. I topped up yesterday at 265 at the dip. Already back up to 305.

• Site Banned Posts: 74 ✭✭Mickey_James

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Something happening in the mushroom world

MIND MEDICINE (MINDMED) ticker BGHM has increased 60% since last wednesday. 400% in the last month..

News broke today of the successful completion of a Pre-IND Meeting with the FDA. One to watch for sure.

Compass pathways I mentioned a few weeks back was mid thirties and now sitting pretty at 57!

Waiting for robinhood investors to get a wiff of this and drive it up even more!

MMED has already been mentioned loads on reddit - well into meme status.

I'm not getting burned again like I did with Li. I was up 30% on Li at one stage and now down about 15%!

Stock I like and wish I bought a few weeks ago is NCR. Only reason I looked into it was it was in the top 10 holdings of my company pension plan and was wondering what it was.

They make self service tills, automated kiosks, barcode scanners etc. It was @25 when I first looked and it's at @33 now. P/E just over 10 so still low.

I can see a self service scanner in every grocery shop in future.

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering on ABNB, can it move into any other type of business?

You know the way nowadays all it takes is for a company to say they're moving into something else and the stock pops, like Amazon saying they'll deliver prescription drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Anyone investing in PFE, strange to see such a downturn over the last few days, ive been in since start of Nov and up slightly but not by much (<2%) , with their vaccine approved in the UK and going for FDA Approval this week i was sure it would climb, but the opposite is happening, Down 5% this week...picked up some more yesterday, but perhaps i should have grabbed up Moderna instead

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

How do you stop beating yourself up over stocks you sold that you should have kept . I had 10k worth of Tesla in 2017 , each day it's painful . I had 5 stocks back then Tesla Google BP Ryanair and Berkshire .
    I read too much about diversification and ended up getting into investment trusts . Costly error. I'm never selling again 😅

new2tri19 wrote: »
    How do you stop beating yourself up over stocks you sold that you should have kept . I had 10k worth of Tesla in 2017 , each day it's painful . I had 5 stocks back then Tesla Google BP Ryanair and Berkshire .
    I read too much about diversification and ended up getting into investment trusts . Costly error. I'm never selling again ��

That's my plan for 2021, I am not selling a damn thing unless its on really existentially bad news for that stock, only buying.
    FWIW I am planning on going mostly into trusts :D, with IEM, EWI and JAGI my next planned buys and hold for a long time targets, though when in doubt I usually add some BAM if its burning a hole in my pocket.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

I read too much about diversification and ended up getting into investment trusts . Costly error. I'm never selling again ��

Same way I don't beat myself up for not getting the lotto numbers right. You don't have a crystal ball. It could work the other way beat yourself up for not selling a stock that went on to **** the bed.

As some lad I used to work with used to say "If hindsight married foresight presence of mind wouldn't be such a bastard" stop looking back you're not there. Try and figure out the next stock that will pop like Tesla over the next five years. And if you figure it out please tell me, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ADZAM

Couple of ideas:

INAQ (Metromile SPAC) - expected to complete merger in Q1 - pay per mile insurance ~$13 - Also see ROOT - Insuretech Car insurance - big drop off after IPO could be worth a punt, I'm bag holding as I bought in around $19.

SRAC (Momentus SPAC) - expected to complete merger in Q1 - Space transportation system - only other public traded space company, the other being Virgin Galactic (SPCE)

SPLK - Splunk - cloud data software company, dropped 25% after earnings, could be a good entry point now around the $155 mark

RAVN - Raven - Agriculture AI and autonomous vehicles, think driver-less combine harvesters - bought around $30, could be interesting for the future

Hammerson (HMSO) - London stock exchange - retail outlets (big centers in major UK cities and Dundrum), huge fall since March, you would imagine the stock will come back the more good news we have around vaccines and reopening. I bought around 0.22p

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I read too much about diversification and ended up getting into investment trusts . Costly error. I'm never selling again &#55357;&#56837;
    I've nothing too drastic, but I like pairing my sales in my records with what I did with the cash. There's plenty of things I sold that did well afterwards (StichFix for one was up 40% one day yesterday), but if you have a record with what you put that money towards, it helps keep it straight in your head.

Or of course, don't ever sell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I read too much about diversification and ended up getting into investment trusts . Costly error. I'm never selling again &#55357;&#56837;

On the brightside you picked 5 companies that all performed really well. So just try to repeat the feat.

On Tesla the only way not to sell was to be marooned on a desert island so don't be too hard on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

My new portfolio is 50% investment trusts
    Then Boeing , netease , flutter , applegreen , Amazon , DCC , Disney , and Google. Equally split hopefully they do as well

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

My new portfolio is 50% investment trusts
    Then Boeing , netease , flutter , applegreen , Amazon , DCC , Disney , and Google. Equally split hopefully they do as well
    I had very bad day for me yesterday. 60% of my holdings in BNTX, dropped 15% after all the good news. These kind of bear attck when everything is positive is stilk bothers me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

ADZAM wrote: »
    Couple of ideas:

INAQ (Metromile SPAC) - expected to complete merger in Q1 - pay per mile insurance ~$13 - Also see ROOT - Insuretech Car insurance - big drop off after IPO could be worth a punt, I'm bag holding as I bought in around $19.

SRAC (Momentus SPAC) - expected to complete merger in Q1 - Space transportation system - only other public traded space company, the other being Virgin Galactic (SPCE)

SPLK - Splunk - cloud data software company, dropped 25% after earnings, could be a good entry point now around the $155 mark

RAVN - Raven - Agriculture AI and autonomous vehicles, think driver-less combine harvesters - bought around $30, could be interesting for the future

Hammerson (HMSO) - London stock exchange - retail outlets (big centers in major UK cities and Dundrum), huge fall since March, you would imagine the stock will come back the more good news we have around vaccines and reopening. I bought around 0.22p

Best of luck!

Hammerson’s share price is down 98%+ for a reason. They were given a 1-year investor bailout this summer gone. Maybe for a small short term spike play, but I wouldn’t look further into that. Could we saw what happened with Debenhams.

That's my plan for 2021, I am not selling a damn thing unless its on really existentially bad news for that stock, only buying.
    FWIW I am planning on going mostly into trusts :D, with IEM, EWI and JAGI my next planned buys and hold for a long time targets, though when in doubt I usually add some BAM if its burning a hole in my pocket.

Don't you need to do that whole deemed disposal thing every 8 years?

Not very friendly for monthly investments.

I'm just treating BRK.B as the S&P500. It's diversified and responsibly run.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

allybhoy wrote: »
    Anyone investing in PFE, strange to see such a downturn over the last few days, ive been in since start of Nov and up slightly but not by much (<2%) , with their vaccine approved in the UK and going for FDA Approval this week i was sure it would climb, but the opposite is happening, Down 5% this week...picked up some more yesterday, but perhaps i should have grabbed up Moderna instead

Very odd, isn't it? Down again today so over 10% from its high last Wednesday. It's back to where it was in January despite having since increased its dividend (slightly), offloaded the "dead weight" consumer and off patent drug divisions to increase its growth potential, and having the only approved covid vaccine. Hopefully it'll see a return to the 40s sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Absolutely mental few days for the likes of IPOB, APPs, Baudi, Xpeng, all of them I've swung traded across the last month or so but would of been alot better off just buy and hold lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Very odd, isn't it? Down again today so over 10% from its high last Wednesday. It's back to where it was in January despite having since increased its dividend (slightly), offloaded the "dead weight" consumer and off patent drug divisions to increase its growth potential, and having the only approved covid vaccine. Hopefully it'll see a return to the 40s sooner rather than later

Id be fairly confident they will have either a strong end to the year, or else a quick start to 2021, its not one im too concerned about tbh, Buy the dips i suppose....

I think everyone is guilty of this to be honest, selling too early and living with regret. A guy on twitter (StockDweebs) has his 10 commandments in trading to live by, this is step 4 quite prudent advice. If you look at number 8 also, when I make a trade now, I immediately set an alert for a % of profit that i would be happy with, 10\15\20% etc. If it hits that target, sell, forget and move on to the next one.... of course thats what i say i do...

stockdweebs.jpg

I read the vaccine barely puts a bump in their profits, such is the money they make from what they make.

Don't you need to do that whole deemed disposal thing every 8 years?

Not very friendly for monthly investments.

I'm just treating BRK.B as the S&P500. It's diversified and responsibly run.

Nope, you may be confusing ETF's with Investment Trusts (CEF's) , no deemed disposal on the latter.

allybhoy wrote: »
    Id be fairly confident they will have either a strong end to the year, or else a quick start to 2021, its not one im too concerned about tbh, Buy the dips i suppose....

I think everyone is guilty of this to be honest, selling too early and living with regret. A guy on twitter (StockDweebs) has his 10 commandments in trading to live by, this is step 4 quite prudent advice. If you look at number 8 also, when I make a trade now, I immediately set an alert for a % of profit that i would be happy with, 10\15\20% etc. If it hits that target, sell, forget and move on to the next one.... of course thats what i say i do...

What does no. 1 mean exactly?

And not sure about 2 and 3...never buy a stock that is up 3%? In what timeframe? Shares hitting ATH is a bullish signal.

Investing is a kind of gambling. You're making informed decisions but if you knew where the stock would be in a year or 5 years everyone would buy it now anyways.

Shares are only worth what someone will pay for them. You're relying on more people wanting to buy at a higher price than what you did.

Nope, you may be confusing ETF's with Investment Trusts (CEF's) , no deemed disposal on the latter.

What's the difference? Is there fees?

That's not same as pension is it?

• Advertisement

What's the difference? Is there fees?

That's not same as pension is it?

At its most basic an ETF just blindly tracks a bunch of stocks that meet certain criteria (eg inclusion in the S&P 500), a CEF is a close ended fund actively managed by someone (initial money raised on sale of shares) who invest according to a certain ideal, eg IEM is a trust that invests in Environmentally friendly companies. The trust management person/team will get paid based on a percentage of the overall value of the trust and sometimes also with performance bonuses if it grows by a certain amount.
    Trusts can sometimes spectacularly outperform the market in volatile times if ran by one a star manager, have a look a SMT or MNKS performance in the last year as examples.

Both are totally different products with different risk profiles, a star manger leaving a Trust can cause its value to plummet for example, but a star manager in a Trust can give star returns far in excess of the market. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Advertisement