Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Hopefully it will lead to more stringent rules put in place for games. You don't see movies being rushed out with bugs/terrible edits but its ripe in the games industry. Did Sony even look at the game before release on the ps4 or do they just let anything on their platform..

I'd imagine the QA in Sony were similar to the QA in CDPR.
    "This isn't ready to go to market".
    "Yeah we're gonna put it out anyway so could you sign off on that please?"

I've also seen some articles about some CDPR developers getting death threats because of the delay in the game so perhaps the gamers themselves aren't exactly blameless in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

p to the e wrote: »
    This whole Cyberpunk fiasco will be a business case study for years to come. I work in development (not game development) and I'm not surprised by a lot of it. It's very similar with a lot of companies but just not on this scale. Developers screaming at the execs that this isn't near finished and the execs trying to appease the board don't give a crap.

In their mind releasing something half baked is better than nothing at all. I'm not sure it's being said anywhere but I imagine there was significant pressure from the console manufacturers themselves to have a big game release along with their new console. That's why Sony and CDPR seem to be at each other's throats at the moment. I still hold out hope though that this will all be sorted out in a few months and a lot of buyers will just hold onto the game and wait for a patch.

They did an investor call a few days ago where some of your points were asked about. https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/12/call-transcript_en.pdf

I get the feeling that at some point along it's development a decision was made the game would be aimed at next gen consoles. The next gen versions of the game arent out yet, only ports of the current gen ones. But CDPR didn't realise just how bad it would play on current gen, which they've somewhat admitted by saying they didnt do enough testing on them.

If the next gen versions are of PC-like quality when they come out and if the multiplayer aspect of the game is supported similar to how GTAV has been, I think CP2077 will be a big success. BUT they are two big ifs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

cc87 wrote: »
    They did an investor call a few days ago where some of your points were asked about. https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/12/call-transcript_en.pdf

I get the feeling that at some point along it's development a decision was made the game would be aimed at next gen consoles. The next gen versions of the game arent out yet, only ports of the current gen ones. But CDPR didn't realise just how bad it would play on current gen, which they've somewhat admitted by saying they didnt do enough testing on them.

If the next gen versions are of PC-like quality when they come out and if the multiplayer aspect of the game is supported similar to how GTAV has been, I think CP2077 will be a big success. BUT they are two big ifs at the moment.

But this game was originally supposed to come out in April, 7 months before next-gen consoles were released, so you would think that this game would've been designed specifically for current gen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Quantumscape Corp NYSE:QS had great solid state battery results out on the 9th December and are on the charge.

Anyone done any DD? Limitless upside but the development time until they are actually selling is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

RedRochey wrote: »
    But this game was originally supposed to come out in April, 7 months before next-gen consoles were released, so you would think that this game would've been designed specifically for current gen

I think that was the plan 8 years ago when it was announced first but over time they realised the current gen didn't have the hardware to support where they wanted the game to go. Even high spec PCs are struggling to play the game well graphically (bugs etc aside) which means current gen consoles were never going to play too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

cc87 wrote: »
    I think that was the plan 8 years ago when it was announced first but over time they realised the current gen didn't have the hardware to support where they wanted the game to go. Even high spec PCs are struggling to play the game well graphically (bugs etc aside) which means current gen consoles were never going to play too well.

It's not a bug it's a feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

ganmo wrote: »
    It's not a bug it's a feature!

This guy develops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    its a great company , the best ran one on the iseq this past ten years by a distance

volkswagen is a huge company but the diesel emissions scandal still hammered its stock , this could end up the same

with news like this , the money men dump first and ask questions later ,then the shorters arrive

Looking closely at Kingspan today. Seems that they will escape any punishment from Grenfell (their product at fault, but it was not used correctly by the construction company).

Resistance today at €58.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Looking closely at Kingspan today. Seems that they will escape any punishment from Grenfell (their product at fault, but it was not used correctly by the construction company).

Resistance today at €58.

link please , heard no news about them getting off the hook ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

What's up with airline stocks this week? Bad week considering my holdings in them but I'm wondering is it time to double down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    What's up with airline stocks this week? Bad week considering my holdings in them but I'm wondering is it time to double down.

They ran up too fast too soon, and crazy corona numbers in Europe etc still, so it will be a while before travel back to normal, most the expert's did say it will be several years before we see passager numbers get back to normal. Personally I'm holding out yet from going back into the whole travel/services sector, I'd say we'll see more pain in January with more lockdowns etc, then would be a reasonable time to start averaging into some of them stocks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Quantumscape Corp NYSE:QS had great solid state battery results out on the 9th December and are on the charge.

Anyone done any DD? Limitless upside but the development time until they are actually selling is anyone's guess.

I bought them on a whim after seeing an article and they have been up 150-200% for me and keep going up and down in 10-15% increments the last while. SS is a long way off though I reckon but the articles I read about them are good so I will keep it as its one that could be huge if what they say is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Gonna be intereting to see what happens this evening, they estimate that $80bn worth of Tesla needs to be bought by fund managers before it enters S&P500 on Monday. Means $80bn of other S&P500 stocks needs to be sold today to finance it. I'm guessing that should mean there's a big grop in S&P in the last half hour (or after hours) this evening.

We've never had someone this big enter the S&P so it's unchartered territory for everyone to see what happens. Probably nothing major, but don't get spooked if you see it (or wait until 8:55 today if you're planning on buying an S&P stock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

So does anyone have any idea on Tesla then? What's the general consensus? Will it be seeing further growth in the coming weeks or coming back down to reality.

Seems this is always the question with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    link please , heard no news about them getting off the hook ?

Are they on the hook for anything? Its just an enquiry no financial impact, damage to the brand yes but not financial

hottipper wrote: »
    Are they on the hook for anything? Its just an enquiry no financial impact, damage to the brand yes but not financial

mud sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

How long for funds to clear on revolut anyone know?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

RIGOLO wrote: »
    LUCKIN ... . Will look at the early morning action, there may be a nice day trade here as news and numbers are digested. Early mornning pop, 1 hour later a pull back, buy that dip and then the street will let it run some more until end of day..

Opened 8.1
    dropped in 30 mins to 7.4 .. loaded up some at 7.5
    now at 9.6 , >20% gain .. dont be greedy say bye bye and put the money under the xmas tree

sometimes we win sometimes we lose , this one is in the win bucket .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The people who buy their products are not consumers so negative publicity wont have a big impact on sales, the engineers care about specs and builders care about cost if they're able to keep them happy they'll get away with the negative image for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Yeah, they were just called as witnesses. (Not in a position to go hunting for links this minute)

Only damage is (slight) reputational.

If construction hots up, they will be creaming it again.

In a previous life, I had occasion to be on building sites, and the amount of Kingspan product used is eye watering.

If they fall to €50 or close to it.... I'll be loading up the Littlevillage donkey and cart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Treppen

Nearly tempted to sell off Aphria again when they went >$10 this week, but only see now they're merging with Tilray to take on US market.

Think I'll hold for another while and see how it plays out!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

The people who buy their products are not consumers so negative publicity wont have a big impact on sales, the engineers care about specs and builders care about cost if they're able to keep them happy they'll get away with the negative image for a while.
    Yeah, they were just called as witnesses. (Not in a position to go hunting for links this minute)

Only damage is (slight) reputational.

If construction hots up, they will be creaming it again.

In a previous life, I had occasion to be on building sites, and the amount of Kingspan product used is eye watering.

If they fall to €50 or close to it.... I'll be loading up the Littlevillage donkey and cart.

Its in a strong uptrend for years could be a set it and forget it trade. might not make loads out of it but would beat sticking cash in a piggy bank for 10 years.
    47 would be ideal if you can get it.

shorters will short based on negative association , at least for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

Just need a final Christmas push to get me back into the green for the year. Late year rallies by LMND, LIVX and RDS have been my saviours. What a rollercoaster of year, missed on some big gains but overall a lot learnt (aka patience), many thanks to the experienced folk on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

crushproof wrote: »
    Just need a final Christmas push to get me back into the green for the year. Late year rallies by LMND, LIVX and RDS have been my saviours. What a rollercoaster of year, missed on some big gains but overall a lot learnt (aka patience), many thanks to the experienced folk on this thread.

Nightmare year for me. Feel like I haven't had a good day since August. Down about 15% on my stock portfolio. Thankfully I'm up about 100% on cryptocurrency, but still a long way off breaking even.

Tesla got me back in the black , i still wont - dont think il beat the market for 2020 , about a grand of a gain so far

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I don't like selling as I hate paying CGT at such a high rate, I've never actually counted what I am up for the year not sure how you do that on Degiro .started with 50k in 2015 at saxobank , withdrew 50k over the years and now have a portfolio of 52k .

Made some major errors would love to do it all again sold at wrong times, read too much bad advice. Last few years where probably the best time to make money feels like I missed a trick and 40 now so running out of time to become a stock market millionaire ( I jest !! ) But hey we all dream or that 100 bagger . Next year I'll be wiser can probably add a max of 5k a year now going forward so it will be one new stock a year or a top up of what I have . Not clever enough to understand where bitcoin is going .

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Not clever enough to understand where bitcoin is going .
    You might want to look at Ethereum. I was very interested to see one of the people telling people to buy BTC when it was $1 has sold his gold to buy ETH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You might want to look at Ethereum. I was very interested to see one of the people telling people to buy BTC when it was $1 has sold his gold to buy ETH.
    Who is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭md23040

I have the following PL within managed Pension portfolio over the last 3 months that was previously cash and worth €206k. Still in €80k cash.

Bank of America (bought two weeks ago) Profit €234
    BP (bought over 3 occasions over last 3 months) Profit €2943
    Clean Energy Fuels (Bought 2 days ago) Profit €315
    First Trust Cloud Computing Fund (3 months) Profit €1741
    Hylion Energy (bought 2 days ago) Profit €626
    iShare Global Clean Energy (3 months) €1303
    Nextera Energy (bought last week) Loss €157
    Shell UK (bought 3 months ago) Profit €1546
    Shell Denmark (boughht 2 months ago) €2683
    Suncor Energy (Bought 3 weeks ago) Loss €305
    Total SE France (Bought 3 weeks Ago) Loss €329
    United Health Group Dow (Bought 8 weeks) Loss 28
    Vestas Wind Turbines (Bougtht 3 months) Profit €6333
    CNK NYSE (bought 2 weeks ago) Profit €254.00

Scared of Hylion as it's a SPAC and went up 12% on Thursday and fell 5.67% Friday. Clean Energy is up 18% in two days. The Portfolio heavy on Renewable Energy as an ex-Energy Analyst for the EU. I am interested in value stocks that have long term potential, I am getting shovelled by the Bank Manging the Personal Retirement Bond and getting hit with a 1.9% spread on FOREX trades compared to 0.2% on CurrencyFair and Revolut, and €35 per share execution.

Anyone got any views on value stocks esp Irish banks and wonder is Brexit priced in at the mo. My brokers dont have any view on Irish banks.

Advertisement