Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

EMA just gave the green light on the vaccines.. lots of good and bad news in the market today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

PIC - Pivotal Investment - up 25% today after getting the Jim Cramer thumbs up on Friday. Up 60% since I got in, will it hold or run more?
    It's hard to hold for the long term when you get these kind of pops that tempt you to take profit and wait for a retrace to get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've noticed my few "traditional" high performers like fb, ms, Mastercard etc have all been very flat the last few months (and are losing out to the dollar/euro if anything), but my attempt to find the next up and coming companies just before they hit the hype stage, likes of NIO, nndm, AQB, UMC , MCHP, NET, they have all paid off massively. I've afew absolutely turds along the way which have tanked like 60%, but thankfully most of them were only a grand or so of a punt so still I'm still nicely in the green. Hard to know what to do moving forward, my strategy is definitely higher risk/reward so the odds are I'll hit a rough patch at some stage, do I hang onto the likes of them fb/mastercards which could be ready to pop but hopefully be lower risk, or do I just keep the head down and keep going with what works now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've noticed my few "traditional" high performers like fb, ms, Mastercard etc have all been very flat the last few months (and are losing out to the dollar/euro if anything), but my attempt to find the next up and coming companies just before they hit the hype stage, likes of NIO, nndm, AQB, UMC , MCHP, NET, they have all paid off massively. I've afew absolutely turds along the way which have tanked like 60%, but thankfully most of them were only a grand or so of a punt so still I'm still nicely in the green. Hard to know what to do moving forward, my strategy is definitely higher risk/reward so the odds are I'll hit a rough patch at some stage, do I hang onto the likes of them fb/mastercards which could be ready to pop but hopefully be lower risk, or do I just keep the head down and keep going with what works now?

You keep doing what your doing and diversify the risk. It's a safety net.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone know how IOB units are gonna work on Degiro? IPOB converted to their other ticket (OPEN) today, the IPOBU (units) that I have entitle me to 1 extra share for every 3 Units I hold. Do I need to do something to exercise these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭md23040

ADZAM wrote: »
    Does anyone have any insight into GREENCOAT RENEWABLES (GRP)? State backed Irish fund investing in wind farms, it could be a slow and steady one with a dividend kicker?

I would avoid such schemes as there normally are lots of costs and the returns never materialize to the expectation of the prospectus. I would advise that community energy schemes are going to get more popular in Ireland and the government provide sudsidy to the scheme. I think there is three at the mo including a grey climate solar farm in Claremorris.

Today based on the DOW Futures down 508 points I sold €10,000 in HYLN. Bought on Thursday and went up 18% that day and fell 5.67% Friday with 2.1% fall before the trade could be placed. The SPAC is too risky and sold at $17.31 and the stock could go to $10 or potential $68 but in the COVID environment too risky. Placed €7500 into IAG. Based on cheap oil prices and demand expectations improving after Easter it looks good value to fundamentals. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone follow Chris Perruna on Twitter (@cperruna)? He's a great stock picker for the type of stuff I'm into (long-term holds, tech-based growth stocks). Last year's list included Livongo, Zoom, SE, Shopify, Square, Crowdstrike, PayPal, Roku etc - pretty much all of them doubled over the year. This was definitely an exceptional year, but you can see his prior years lists on his pinned tweet

Anyway he releases his list this time every year so I'll post them up here as he releases them.
    1. FUBO - life TV streaming for live sports, news and entertainment in US. Went public via SPAC this year - I actually bought a small position in this one a month ago.
    2. QS - develops batteries for electric vehicles, Volkswagen have a stake so presumably ae interested in the technology. Seems to charge a lot faster than competitors. Again, only IPO'd a month ago.

Regretting not pulling the trigger on this one (FUBO), up nearly 100% since u posted! Good spot Shedite27 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

jams100 wrote: »
    Regretting not pulling the trigger on this one (FUBO), up nearly 100% since u posted! Good spot Shedite27 :o

I posted the QS one Friday when someone was already holding. Looks a moon shoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

ALPP on a mad one. Anyone in on it? Up by around 60% today. I think the surge is from the news of the Chinese drone manufacturer DJI being blacklisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I posted the QS one Friday when someone was already holding. Looks a moon shoot!

Fair play to anyone who jumped on Shedite27's recommendations. I did some research into QS at the time and came to the conclusion that it was too risky.

Shows, what I know :-( its only up a mere 65% in the last week.

• Advertisement

ALPP on a mad one. Anyone in on it? Up by around 60% today. I think the surge is from the news of the Chinese drone manufacturer DJI being blacklisted.

Not in it but have been adding to my EH holdings position which is a Chinese human rated drone company, its absolutely took off the last week, up 20% today.

Fair play to anyone who jumped on Shedite27's recommendations. I did some research into QS at the time and came to the conclusion that it was too risky.

Shows, what I know :-( its only up a mere 65% in the last week.
    I didn't go for QS myself either. To be honest, this lat Chris Perruna has such a following at the moment that it seems he can move stocks on his own. He doesn't even own Fubo himself yet. While up 70% or whatever in a week is great, part of me is a little disappointed as I wanted to buy more at $30. First world problems.

I've a feeling CURI may follow a simialr trajectory. It's a streaming dervice for documentaries, Discovery Channel, History Channel etc. Got a 25% jump today but is still only a $13 stock ($500mn cap). Seems to be the next darling of Twitter and Reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anybody with those 36c PLS options ye need to be sorting it out now in case you were waiting for a letter or anything like that, Im going to try and get through to Degiro in the morning and see if they'll do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

VLDR saves the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Most stocks are up pre-market what with all the positive news.

My 2 runners today will be GEVO ,already holding but will buy more and DPW which has already gained alot but Im going to follow the price action and volume on it.

Followed your tip here Rigolo, was in a hole for the first half of the month but it’s rallied, up 20% today

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

I didnt check the portfolio much today, but I did see the posts and was watching some of the business news. All this talk of red and drops made me think the sky was falling in.
    When I did to check the portfolio after market closed it was up over 2.5%.
    Looks like my 2021 positioning is paying off already.

I really thouhgt the market would settle into some normality, but Im wrong, the madness will continue as long as the fed tap is on . Whether its solar, EV, gene editing, drones, spacs, the swings are gettign swingier. Covid hasnt gone anywhere and as long as NO government has figured out how to deal with it then the market will react to each bit of Covid news.
    The way to play many of these is on shortened cycles, not always a day trade but over 2-3 weeks.

Planning to spend some time over the holidays looking at some of the SPACs that have yet to announce tie ups, Q1 2021 could continue the action of 2H 2020 in this space. Some are still hovering around their $10 issue mark, which is an asymmetric risk as your pretty much guaranteed to get your 10 bucks back if no deal is signed, the only risk is if they merge with a lemon and the street reacts negatively . Plus all those stimulus checks will be looking for a home. The millenials wont spend it all on CRSR headsets.

Green&Red wrote: »
    Followed your tip here Rigolo, was in a hole for the first half of the month but it’s rallied, up 20% today

Delighted to hear that, they were around a buck 15 at the time I tipped/bought in , sitting at 2.86 tonight. I trust your now out of that hole friend.
    Probaly have some more room to run. Took 2 months of patience. I dumped a good chunk under the $2 . But they are one on my list to play again in early 21 Biden will give all these green energy plays another lift.

Dont forget to take profits... any fool including me can ' make profits ', but it takes smarts to ' take profits '. ;)

Thargor wrote: »
    Anybody with those 36c PLS options ye need to be sorting it out now in case you were waiting for a letter or anything like that, Im going to try and get through to Degiro in the morning and see if they'll do it for me.

With other options Degiro have usually emailed me, I didn't think it would be any different with PLS. Can you give an update on what they say when you get through? I think we have until early January to sort it.

Nice to see the price rise last night hopefully it continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

How some of you guys even go about starting the search for these companies is what I don't understand.

Not the picks themselves but more so the process

How some of you guys even go about starting the search for these companies is what I don't understand.

Research comes in all shapes and forms.
    The process takes all shapes and forms.
    Dont overthink it or look for a silver bullet , one phrase, one process, one sequence of clicks to nail it. Give it time and it will happen.
    Theres elements of economics, time, tv, news, conversations, science, religion, observations, luck, zen, mysticisim, self discipline, forums, interests, newsletters, podcasts, love, expereince among other things. Thats what makes it so interesting to me, its multi-dimensional, my portfolio is connected to my life.

THE PROCESS ..
    for me yesterday that involved carrying the shopping in from the car. The missus arrives home and does the beep thing.. I f'ing hate it .. Im in my world in my office and she beeps and I have to drop everything and go help her with the shopping. The ignomy , me , a self styled wolf of wall st,:p lumping cartons of those giant chocolate chip cookies into the house (speaking of which is it too early in the day to have one, fk it its Christmas).
    So where were we , where was this going.
    Oh yeah so I ask her how was it, she says lucky one of the kids came along the queues at COSTCO were mental, she never seen them that long, they had arrived just at lunch time, so thankfully by the time their cart was full the lines were back to normal, but where had all the people gone. She then tells me they were all queuing at the food service, having their lunch at Costco after shopping at Costco. cha ching ...

So thats my research done for the day, lets leave the pot of cash I put in COSTCO stock back when she bought her Costco card and told all her friends how great it was. Id taken some holdings out in an end of year shuffle but will leave some as is. I think the stash is safe there for the next 12 months.

But now this morning Im doing some boring reading of the prospectus of some SPACs, who are the founders, whats the history and angle. So you see speaking for myself the process varies, one day its chocolate chip cookies, the next day its reams of filings. and now Ive gotten crumbs all over the keyboard ...

• Advertisement

I think there's all sorts or approaches, not many can master them all.

I was never big into the financials, it's a bit over my head.

There's 2 approaches I use:
    Firstly, something I use and understand, and that I think will grow. Could be a phone (Apple), music player (Spotify), or how I pay for things (PayPal). Have a look at the first page of your phone, what apps are they, can you invest in them?
    Other way is through reccomendations. A lot of the companies we have here in Ireland are too small to ever make a splash, market is too small. On the other side, the American companies I've heard of tend to be too big to be able to grow. So I read a lot of bloggers, twitters etc who find small operations in the US that have the potential to grow (Redfin, Lemonade, Ditigial Turbine, Invitae)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

find some sites that you like and read them every day, sign up to newsletters, fastball by mywallst, ark invest, there's loads out there that will give you daily snippets of whats going on in the market. You will soon learn most tickers just by taking in info and reading all the time. Also look into spac's they are the real bread and butter of 2020/21 until it bursts. With a $10 floor and you do research its not hard to find 20-100% runners.

When you have tickers always check prices to find value, put it into Twitter with a $ hashtag i.e $IPOC before, great for extra info and youtube can be good for extra info but take it with a pinch of salt, it's just for extra info as some will do the research you need to hear. The harder part then is learning technical analysis, when to sell/take profit etc.

Everyone has there own style though, some prefer big cap tech stocks, your apples, Microsofts, others riskier. I think your style depends on how much money you have, your risk ratio, how much you can afford, timeframe.

I like spac's cause I am looking to make quicker money for a mortgage, if I wasn't I would have a mix of spac's and long term holds. I cant afford, tesla, square, shopify all stocks I love so I buy fisker, paysafe etc little spac clones that get very nice returns :) I did make lots of mistakes in the spac's at first and its harder to get the big winners now cause some days 7 spacs a day are released! As Rigolo said look at the CEO's as well is a good sign, their background, the spac company founders. Bill Ackman, chamath palihapitiya, Bill Foley lots of guys killing it or very experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

RIGOLO wrote: »
    But now this morning Im doing some boring reading of the prospectus of some SPACs, who are the founders, whats the history and angle. So you see speaking for myself the process varies, one day its chocolate chip cookies, the next day its reams of filings. and now Ive gotten crumbs all over the keyboard ...

If you're researching SPAC's Rigolo this YouTube channel is a good starting point....

https://www.youtube.com/c/PatrickDesjardins/featured

He was right on LCA and HCAC to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

A Twitter account is a must. It's a goldmine of information relating to individual stocks. There are lots of full-time traders posting so it's their job to do extensive research. They will find the companies for you. Of course if they have a position in the stock the info will be biased so it's up to you to verify and dig further. I do this by checking out the companies SEC filings online. Focus on the 10Q and 10Ks which are full of the most relevant info.

There is a momentum frenzy at the moment in SPACs that I haven't seen since the dotcom days when every company with a website soared. Most of them won't show a profit for years, if ever. It's a great trading environment so you have to factor that in when you buy a stock.

AAPL news y/day on EV so watch the related SPACs continue to ramp.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

A Twitter account is a must. It's a goldmine of information relating to individual stocks. There are lots of full-time traders posting so it's their job to do extensive research.

You can always count on this thread for a laugh....

The major of traders that are supported by professional research are not trading on their own account and are certainly not blabbing their opinions on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

Not going to lie, I pretty much use this forum as a base and then do a little bit of research on twitter.

Superb commentators on here with great tips/research so for someone like me who is just spending some extra cash and hoping for some luck it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

4D Pharma making a bit of a move this morning. GBX 109.00 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

ADZAM wrote: »
    Does anyone have any insight into GREENCOAT RENEWABLES (GRP)? State backed Irish fund investing in wind farms, it could be a slow and steady one with a dividend kicker?

Not GRP but I am in on TRIG which has the same model. For TRIG it is pretty much as you describe slow and steady growing price then they raise money to buy more assets and the price falls - rinse and repeat, The dividend is nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ADZAM

I contacted Degiro to get a quote for Reinvent Technology Partners (RTP.U:NYSE) but they said:

We would kindly request that you provide us with the ISIN of the product that you wish to have added to the platform.
    Additionally, from the ticker of this system it looks like this is a unit. Please note that if it is, then we unfortunately will not be able to add it as we do not add units to the platform. However, if it is not, then please send us the ISIN and we will do our best to add the product to the platform.

Any ideas? It's a SPAC headed by Reid Hoffman the founder of Linkedin.

• Advertisement

The simple fact is we have been absolutely gifted this year with the feds printing money, a blunt way I look at it is I've become good at harvesting them 600$ stimulus cheques, we've seen thousands of new traders in the USA on robinhood and degiro here in the EU, many whom are willing to jump into the stockmarket on a whim with money that they cant spent on travel or other normal services, so lets throw it into the stockmarket. My loose aim is to find companies with reasonable long term potential, find that stage where everyone is starting to get excited about them (which is why I like stocktwits, its a pure echo chamber, and plenty of absolute rubbish on it, but all I'm trying to judge is the overall crowd sentiment for whatever stock), I also largely avoid anything post fomo stage (NIO/xpeng/Tesla etc I'm just holding and not adding to anymore). I totally follow the current hype wave, over the summer it was EVs, alongside semiconductors, ever since Biden won its been solar/alternative and Chinese stocks. The last week or so with the US stimulus clearly getting over the line I've gone all in on the spreadbetting account and doubled my return on it, thats a risky move using alot of leveraged, but the last week absolutely was the time to do it while the risk was largely off in the markets themselves. I'm certainly no professional, and follow no professional advice on twitter or anywhere else, I'm simply trying to absolutely maximize this possibly once in a lifetime stock market opportunity, how it will all end I honestly don't have a clue.

Advertisement