Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You can always count on this thread for a laugh....

The major of traders that are supported by professional research are not trading on their own account and are certainly not blabbing their opinions on twitter.

Your posts are exhausting. They offer nothing of substance to anyone in these markets. All you do is watch this board ready to criticise anything you deem wrong. You have no idea about trading markets. The traders (ex WS investment banks) I was referring to all trade their own accounts and they freely offer their extensive research. I'm not talking about buyside/sellside professional research. You're living in the dark ages where people got their news from the mornings Wall Street paper and paid for analysis.

Do yourself a favor and come back in a few months/years when stocks have stopped doubling or more in a short space time. Until then you just sound silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Any currently available SPAC recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

Timmaay wrote: »
    The simple fact is we have been absolutely gifted this year with the feds printing money, a blunt way I look at it is I've become good at harvesting them 600$ stimulus cheques, we've seen thousands of new traders in the USA on robinhood and degiro here in the EU, many whom are willing to jump into the stockmarket on a whim with money that they cant spent on travel or other normal services, so lets throw it into the stockmarket. My loose aim is to find companies with reasonable long term potential, find that stage where everyone is starting to get excited about them (which is why I like stocktwits, its a pure echo chamber, and plenty of absolute rubbish on it, but all I'm trying to judge is the overall crowd sentiment for whatever stock), I also largely avoid anything post fomo stage (NIO/xpeng/Tesla etc I'm just holding and not adding to anymore). I totally follow the current hype wave, over the summer it was EVs, alongside semiconductors, ever since Biden won its been solar/alternative and Chinese stocks. The last week or so with the US stimulus clearly getting over the line I've gone all in on the spreadbetting account and doubled my return on it, thats a risky move using alot of leveraged, but the last week absolutely was the time to do it while the risk was largely off in the markets themselves. I'm certainly no professional, and follow no professional advice on twitter or anywhere else, I'm simply trying to absolutely maximize this possibly once in a lifetime stock market opportunity, how it will all end I honestly don't have a clue.

Fair play to you for recognising the markets we are in and trading accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

cronos wrote: »

A recent MyWallSt podcast mentioned AJAX.I. It wasn't a dead cert to invest but one that sounded interesting. I'm interested but haven't bitten yet. doesn't seem to be available on degiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Think 90% of us are in pershing Square Tontine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Lancadia Holdings (LCA). Not a holder myself but it looks promising.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

The major of traders that are supported by professional research are not trading on their own account and are certainly not blabbing their opinions on twitter.

You have neck Jim, I give you that, coming round here on a STOCK PICK forum and still posting nonsense, cripes even the newbies realise you havent picked a stock in the greatest bull run in living memory.

Professional traders have been using whatever forms of media is available to manipulate markets in the direction they want since the game was invented.

Theres a million professional traders backed by a million hours of professional research posting on twitter everyday.

Your only showing how little you know of the markets with each post, between telling us you dont even trade and now telling us professional traders dont use twitter, your really showing how out of touch you are to the greatest bull run in a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Your posts are exhausting. They offer nothing of substance to anyone in these markets. All you do is watch this board ready to criticise anything you deem wrong. You have no idea about trading markets. The traders (ex WS investment banks) I was referring to all trade their own accounts and they freely offer their extensive research. I'm not talking about buyside/sellside professional research. You're living in the dark ages where people got their news from the mornings Wall Street paper and paid for analysis.

Do yourself a favor and come back in a few months/years when stocks have stopped doubling or more in a short space time. Until then you just sound silly.

He's a troll. Put him on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Think 90% of us are in pershing Square Tontine!

I'm already well in that one and holding.

Also in BFT, APXT and DMYD

RIGOLO wrote: »
    SOL (5.32) - has had a recent pop but if their earnings meets their guidance on profitability then they may play catchup with the other solar stocks.

SOL hits 11.40 this morning, up 114% in a 4 weeks and a day

I have to give it the boys on Wall St, they are good, they are very good.
    They ran it down after earnings and now they decide to let her run. Its been their game all year. They are as much psychologists as they are traders.
    I sold some but thankfully held onto a good chunk waiting on Bidens election, not going to make as much as I had hoped but its a win from where Im standing now.
    The P word.. PATIENCE .

Theres so much to be made playing these short term 3-4 week or even 2 week cycles and swing trades, just look for a sector, look for a pattern, learn it and play it .
    Who knows how long this market madness will continue, lets make some coin lads whilst Jim is getting himself a twitter account.

oh by the way I may be kicked off Boards at short notice one of these days for my transgressions elsewhere, Im sure many have already realised Im a bad person and ye need protecting from me,:D , Im on some kind of final warning whatever that means, if I am , its been a blast, and good luck to ye all .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

NNDM my 2nd massive winner of the year (after NIO), I did similar with NIO and bullishly bought any of the dips the whole way up, its more than doubled for me across the last 2months or so, and represents about 25% of my full portfolio at the minute. Interesting cutting edge company, definitely high risk however what really sold it to me was Ark invests constant buying across the last few months, alongside the very loyal base of followers on both stocktwits and 2 Facebook groups, then talk of takeovers from various companies along the way. One big red flag has been their consistent share dilution, with I think 4 share offerings across the last 2 month's lol, however the consistent bullish attitude from the likes of stocktwits etc during each dilution was enough to keep me happy that the investors would keep piling in behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

SOL hits 11.40 this morning, up 114% in a 4 weeks and a day

I have to give it the boys on Wall St, they are good, they are very good.
    They ran it down after earnings and now they decide to let her run. Its been their game all year. They are as much psychologists as they are traders.
    I sold some but thankfully held onto a good chunk waiting on Bidens election, not going to make as much as I had hoped but its a win from where Im standing now.
    The P word.. PATIENCE .

Theres so much to be made playing these short term 3-4 week or even 2 week cycles and swing trades, just look for a sector, look for a pattern, learn it and play it

100%, its as much a game of chess and being always prepared for the short selling or pump and dump manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

QuantumScape is just an absolute beast, up nearly 340% on it, Apple rumours made it go up another 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

A Twitter account is a must. It's a goldmine of information relating to individual stocks. There are lots of full-time traders posting so it's their job to do extensive research. They will find the companies for you. Of course if they have a position in the stock the info will be biased so it's up to you to verify and dig further. I do this by checking out the companies SEC filings online. Focus on the 10Q and 10Ks which are full of the most relevant info.

There is a momentum frenzy at the moment in SPACs that I haven't seen since the dotcom days when every company with a website soared. Most of them won't show a profit for years, if ever. It's a great trading environment so you have to factor that in when you buy a stock.

AAPL news y/day on EV so watch the related SPACs continue to ramp.

Any Twitter accounts you’d recommend

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    QuantumScape is just an absolute beast, up nearly 340% on it, Apple rumours made it go up another 30%

go on prove it , lets see a screen shot..
    I AM TAKING THE PISS !!! :p. (its a joke) aimed at a time when I remember having to deal with those delicate creatures and their could someone hold my hand attitude whilst I trade.

fantastically played 340% that is beast mode in such a short space of time.

Delighted to hear people here are making some major gains.
    Enough of this negativity the media and politicians inflict on us.

Green&Red wrote: »
    Any Twitter accounts you’d recommend

I hear #JIM2007 has some great stock tips...

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

bcklschaps wrote: »
    MP Materials ($MP:NYSE) going great guns this week.... up 30%

Only recently IPO'd via SPAC.

They mine/refine rare earth metals ...used in the magnets in Electric motors, wind turbines etc.

They were featured on 'Mad Money' yesterday and jumped 10% and up 15% again today

Seems like a 'Picks and shovels' play on the EV and Green energy boom. CEO in fact used that exact expression during the interview.

US Government has given them a leg up too.... seemingly to counter Chinese dominance.

Good call ... climbing away, I got in after you posted this and I checked it out... thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

They may not be "good professional traders" on Twitter but after spending a couple of hours trawling twitter they definitely have enough sway to move some of these smaller stocks.

Many of these so called blabbers have over 150k followers, do the maths if 4 or 5 of these blabbers put out a stock tip you have probably 100k people who would religiously follow them and put in maybe an average of $500 thats 50 million (conservative), maybe others see the momentum train and off to the sky you go. I would strongly advise people to be very careful with these sort of stocks as when the tide goes out you may well find yourself swimming naked.

These SPAC's are out of control really, jump on the train by all means but just be careful if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is, in any case don't be too greedy as Rigolo said a profit is only a profit when you exit a trade.

As for Jim, you probably need to get with the times, things have changed now, there are a lot of micro investors out there like myself who combined have a much bigger impact than they did say 10 years ago, people don't get their information from the wall street journal anymore.

Anyway my investments this week are:
    1. Covanta - Own and operate waste to energy plants throughout the US and Europe. The good: the industry will survive recessions/pandemics as we still produce rubbish, they also have a few projects going on in the UK, the bad, they have a significant amount of long term debt. They are now conducting a strategic review to see how they can exploit their assets further. Paying about a 2.5% dividend. Probably a 3 year+ hold for me. Wouldn't expect major returns on this, but I think you need to try diversify away from purely tech or SPAC's

2. Coca-cola: Nothing to say again a safe long term play

3. Pfizer: Forget about the covid vaccine they won't really make that much off that but this really is a dividend play for me. Got out a while ago at their highs but wanted back in for the long term

My Top 10 Holdings at the end of 2020
    1. Amazon
    2. Salesforce
    3. Microsoft
    4. Shell
    5. Coca-cola
    6. Alphabet
    7. British American Tobacco
    8. 4d Pharma
    9. Diageo
    10.SSE

Other holdings include: Alibaba, associated british foods, SAP, IAG, DraftKings, Nvidia, Mastercard, Covanta, Wells Fargo, LiveNation, KraftHeinz, GAN, pfizer
    Overall up 14% for the year

Hope everyone has a good Christmas and there are many more good picks in 2021! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

https://twitter.com/MrZackMorris

This guy has a big following and a lot of stocks he tweets about absolutely fly, fubo being the main example, some of his recommendations are Ipoc, amci, pic, fubo.

You need to weed out the daytrade pumps though as he is in a discord group called Atlas trading (nothing to do with my username! its US based.). If your into your daytrading, its free and some of them are killing it, i find it handy reading the spac threads for info but would lose my boll** if i tried day trading as i need to learn a lot more TA first to even go near it.
    go on prove it , lets see a screen shot..
    I AM TAKING THE PISS !!!
    its overtaken Nikola as the highest priced spac ever now but It has to crash a lot soon, the swings on it are a bit crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

IAG up for no conceivable reason! Get in !

• Advertisement

IAG up for no conceivable reason! Get in !

That usually means one thing next ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

With other options Degiro have usually emailed me, I didn't think it would be any different with PLS. Can you give an update on what they say when you get through? I think we have until early January to sort it.

Nice to see the price rise last night hopefully it continues
    I got through to Degiro after 30 minutes on hold, the lady I spoke to sounded a bit frazzled, she said she hadnt put through any other PLS rights options so wasnt sure if they were doing it, she said she'd talk to her boss about it and email me back, Im not too hopeful tbh.

I put all the details in an email and fired it off to them anyway, Ill see if I hear anything back before I ring them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

NEW THREAD

Hi all, started the 2021 thread as promised for stock picks.

See ye there. Thanks to everyone here for the 2020 picks, few more days to go but christ I learned alot. When I finally go green in my degiro I'll buy some pints for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Lads quick question before this thread wraps.

Holder of a few Spac's which changed Tickr this year / month. DeGiro shows the tickr change as a sell off the SPAC / purchase of the newco, gain / loss.

In the case of a gain and a tickr change I assume capital gains is due this financial period? Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Despite your dismissal of Stablelad's post, his point about Twitter being a source of information is valid.

I've come across a few nuggets on there. So called professional research is not the exclusive conduit of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

AmberGold wrote: »
    Lads quick question before this thread wraps.

Holder of a few Spac's which changed Tickr this year / month. DeGiro shows the tickr change as a sell off the SPAC / purchase of the newco, gain / loss.

In the case of a gain and a tickr change I assume capital gains is due this financial period? Is this correct?

I assumed not, but you've put a doubt in my mind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

outonawing wrote: »
    I assumed not, but you've put a doubt in my mind now.
    I assumed not
    This is the case afair. I believe Degiro add an asterix or note to show ticker change (like they do for share splits).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I started a new thread, a kind of look back over 2020 if anyone is interested here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Cheers for all the replies to my query yesterday. Was half expecting some sort of a dyor replies!

Some food for thought . Will work on developing a proper picking process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Really a bizarre approach to things. Everything is wrong and everyone is stupid. Came here for some advice before when I was very much in learning mode and honestly never came across such an odd theme in the response by that poster.

Well done to the people posting picks and best of luck for 2021.

Advertisement