Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Alibaba down 7% in pre-market after anti-trust investigation announced. Based purely on the financials it looks like a great entry point - the Chinese middle class is growing fast and they do all of their shopping online. The only wildcard is the CCP...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Cpfm wrote: »
    Good call ... climbing away, I got in after you posted this and I checked it out... thank you..

Yeah, MP Materials worked out very well, for anybody who jumped in when I mentioned it :-)

You are always worried after a stock goes on a run like that .... that as soon as you hop on...it falls on its backside...and your left bag holding...but all good this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Alibaba down 7% in pre-market after anti-trust investigation announced. Based purely on the financials it looks like a great entry point - the Chinese middle class is growing fast and they do all of their shopping online. The only wildcard is the CCP...

I've been averaging down since 310 uggghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've been averaging down since 310 uggghhh

I got 2 more, averaging up from 165.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

SPAC stocks flying again GHIV RMG

BLNK - Charging Stations still going after Biden promised 500K coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

riddles wrote: »
    I think TDOC will hit 350$ once first quarter results which show the combined livongo acquisition results. Cloud MD will also at least double next year and will be a buyout target. I have big hopes for it. GEVO I think will move up pretty fast possibly to 10$ once their expansion funding is confirmed, if it realises a fraction of its potential 25-60$ is a 2/3 year target. PLUG is where GEVO is now price wise 12 months ago. Others to consider.

AMWL
    OTRK
    GNUS
    aMPE
    PLTR

Good luck all

GEVO has been doing quite well since you mentioned it yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm amazed reading the posts on here. It all seems to be rumours, tips and quick ins and outs hoping to make a quick buck.
    Does anyone actually look at the financials of the companies and go the 'value investing' approach? I'm trying to get my head around balance sheets, cash flow statements etc myself at the moment. Anyone else take this approach?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm amazed reading the posts on here. It all seems to be rumours, tips and quick ins and outs hoping to make a quick buck.
    Does anyone actually look at the financials of the companies and go the 'value investing' approach? I'm trying to get my head around balance sheets, cash flow statements etc myself at the moment. Anyone else take this approach?

Yes. I'm not a trader, not that I've anything against that, I'm a buy and hold person, have sold a stock in 6 years. My gains are modest, I've had some good picks over the years, mastercard and visa being my big winners

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Most of my portfolio is comprised of buy and hold dividend paying stocks.

That said, I do like to take a little punt(usually €200-€300) on a promising SPAC. LAZR has been my star performer, followed by VLDR.
    Holding DDDD(bigger punt) and LOAC in anticipation of their merger, also DMYD, BFT and PSTH.

Luckily, I haven't found a dud yet ☺️.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Tipped this at $1.40 a few weeks ago, I hope some of you got in.

I did thanks got in a little but higher than €1.40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Good fincials is for value traders to be honest, it's over my head but from what I see you're capping yourself at what a blue chip company can compund at.

Most posters on here seem to be younger type, who are looking for growth stocks, where the story of the industry and the company matters more. Spotify signing Joe Rogan interests me more than the PE ratio or free cash flow on the balance sheet. They can have all the cash in the world, but unless they spend it wisely, it's not doing much more than share buybacks and dividends (that are taxed too highely for me).

Best story of the week for my portfolio was Peleton, who are struggling to keep up with demand, buying a company that make fitness equipment. The company they bought have huge manufacturing facilities, hence solving Peloton's problems. That's the stories I look for, not any multiples based on last years manufacturing and sales. Those stories like Peloton can boost a price 15% in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Merry Christmas to all folks. In a pretty ****ty year that took us away from most of the things and people we enjoy, seeing the portfolio balloon like it did was a little bit of joy most days. Some great tips and discussion on this thread. Looking forward to a stellar 2021. If it's 10% as profitable as 2020 I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Delighted to hear that, they were around a buck 15 at the time I tipped/bought in , sitting at 2.86 tonight. I trust your now out of that hole friend.
    Probaly have some more room to run. Took 2 months of patience. I dumped a good chunk under the $2 . But they are one on my list to play again in early 21 Biden will give all these green energy plays another lift.

Dont forget to take profits... any fool including me can ' make profits ', but it takes smarts to ' take profits '. ;)
    GEVO
    Another 25% today Rig, I’ll be cashing out today

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

There are two types of investors which I've read someone more seasoned comment on before, the analytical who looks at all the financials, debt, cashflow, charts etc and the feelers meaning they have a feeling about a company, market, industry, ones for want of a better example have a good feel on macroeconomics, governments/political movements, societal physcology/consumerism etc (Investing in epic games because of fortnite because everyone was playing it, investing in work from home tech at the news of a pandemic etc).

Of course it's good to have the the fundamentals covered but with the current market the finances don't make sense, some companies with incredible Q1 results drop 10% and other companies fly up 20% on a rumour. Bit of a crapshoot at the moment for both types!

Then again what do I know.. just my two cents. I'm not writing any books on it any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Alibaba certainly made sense when I bought it a week ago financially haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

GEVO has been doing quite well since you mentioned it yesterday!

There’s a good bit more wind in GEVO sails

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

DutchYurt wrote: »
    There are two types of investors which I've read someone more seasoned comment on before, the analytical who looks at all the financials, debt, cashflow, charts etc and the feelers meaning they have a feeling about a company, market, industry, ones for want of a better example have a good feel on macroeconomics, governments/political movements, societal physcology/consumerism etc (Investing in epic games because of fortnite because everyone was playing it, investing in work from home tech at the news of a pandemic etc).

Of course it's good to have the the fundamentals covered but with the current market the finances don't make sense, some companies with incredible Q1 results drop 10% and other companies fly up 20% on a rumour. Bit of a crapshoot at the moment for both types!

Then again what do I know.. just my two cents. I'm not writing any books on it any time soon

Agree entirely. But at the moment it’s such a bull market that having a tactical war chest for short term holdings makes sense. I’ve most of my portfolio in what I deem to be solid and reasonably priced instruments, but I’ve made as much on 10 plug power call options in the past few months than the rest of my portfolio combined. I’m under no illusion this will continue but my outlook for 2021 would be positive possibly after a pull back at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭md23040

Can anyone advise what’s the best way to utilise the CGT bands for Ireland. Do you need to bed and breakfast the stocks with a quick sell and buy back to lock in the gains. Do you just sell the cash positive stocks or the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Treppen

md23040 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise what’s the best way to utilise the CGT bands for Ireland. Do you need to bed and breakfast the stocks with a quick sell and buy back to lock in the gains. Do you just sell the cash positive stocks or the whole lot.

Look back for Rigolo post in this thread. Something about 'bedding a spouse' is the best way forward .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

md23040 wrote: »

Use it to offset gains of up to €1270, you can buy back whenever you like in the case of gains.

Use any loss to offset tax on realised gains.
    But if you use a loss to offset gains you cant buy the same shares back for 28 days.

If you do want to buy them back with less than 28 days you cant use the loss.

The CGT rate and exemption in Ireland are ridiculous. It's about 12k in the UK by comparison. The rate at 33% is also excessive. You're investing already taxed income, assuming risk and then your reward is to give 33% of it away.

The rate and threshold really need revision.
    A 10k threshold at least and a maybe a tiered rate based on how long you've held for <12 months > 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

Agree entirely. But at the moment it’s such a bull market that having a tactical war chest for short term holdings makes sense. I’ve most of my portfolio in what I deem to be solid and reasonably priced instruments, but I’ve made as much on 10 plug power call options in the past few months than the rest of my portfolio combined. I’m under no illusion this will continue but my outlook for 2021 would be positive possibly after a pull back at the start of the year.

So you're a Value investor who dabbles in ST trades when the opportunity arises? I'm sure some on here would have you believe they're mutually exclusive. Kudos to you.

For anyone who is amazed at the rampant speculation on this board please do yourself a favor and check out the trading volume on some of the mentioned stocks. Some of them are turning over the floating stock x times daily. Serious money driving these at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

So you're a Value investor who dabbles in ST trades when the opportunity arises? I'm sure some on here would have you believe they're mutually exclusive. Kudos to you.

For anyone who is amazed at the rampant speculation on this board please do yourself a favor and check out the trading volume on some of the mentioned stocks. Some of them are turning over the floating stock x times daily. Serious money driving these at the moment.

My underlying strategy is to buy and hold, be that indices or what I believe to be good companies. I could be proven to be yet another idiot that loses it all yet, I’m under no illusions. But there is massive momentum in the market at the moment. To the extent that a 30% rise in a stock is seen as almost a non issue. It’s a bit bizarre but there are opportunities to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Only US markets opened today right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Degiro wrote:
    PILBARA MINERALS LTD has announced an upcoming rights issue, for which you may find the details below:

Exercising 1 right gives you the possibility to acquire 1 new share at a price of 0.36 AUD per share.
    New shares will be delivered under the following ISIN: AU000000PLS0.
    These rights are not tradeable.
    The internal deadline for submitting your instructions is set for the 5th of January 2021 at 13:00 GMT.

Anyone going for it?
    Took PLS quite a while to return from its lows so wondering how current price will be impacted. Tempted to take some profit but FOMO is playing its hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

retalivity wrote: »
    Only US markets opened today right?

Most of Europe is open just not the UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Doodee wrote: »
    Anyone going for it?
    Took PLS quite a while to return from its lows so wondering how current price will be impacted. Tempted to take some profit but FOMO is playing its hand.
    Yeah Im going for it, lithium just starting another bull run and they're offering 88c shares for 36c? No brainer imo, if thats not good enough to take a punt on what is?

Doodee wrote: »
    Anyone going for it?

Yes I'm going for it, at .36AUD a share even if the share price drops a lot you should be up. I sent Degiro my order email earlier today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Zoom is down a hell of a lot

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yes I'm going for it, at .36AUD a share even if the share price drops a lot you should be up. I sent Degiro my order email earlier today

Is this a spin off or a new company? I'm lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

beertons wrote: »
    Is this a spin off or a new company? I'm lost.
    No its a rights issue, every 7 shares you held in PLS entitles you to buy 1 of the new shares for 36c, they issued a load of new ones to pay for acquiring a load of assets recently. Still risky but I had them written off and they're suddenly looking very interesting again.

Advertisement