Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Palantir had a really bad day. -8% today. Other 'new' Tech stocks down as well. I wonder is this some kind of re-balancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Palantir had a really bad day. -8% today. Other 'new' Tech stocks down as well. I wonder is this some kind of re-balancing?

Impossible to know. Could be some year end profit taking and they could all be up 10% tomorrow. Bought some NET calls with a low threshold to close if not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Thargor wrote: »
    No its a rights issue, every 7 shares you held in PLS entitles you to buy 1 of the new shares for 36c, they issued a load of new ones to pay for acquiring a load of assets recently. Still risky but I had them written off and they're suddenly looking very interesting again.

The ratio is 5 rights distributed for every 38 shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

riddles wrote: »
    There’s a good bit more wind in GEVO sails

No kidding, 65% in the last week

Up 85% since mid November

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thargor wrote: »
    No its a rights issue, every 7 shares you held in PLS entitles you to buy 1 of the new shares for 36c, they issued a load of new ones to pay for acquiring a load of assets recently. Still risky but I had them written off and they're suddenly looking very interesting again.

131 shares offered, based on my 1000 in PLS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

4D Pharma finally taking a bit of a jump and back in the green overall... not sure what caused it though... no major news coming out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Motley Fool's 10 stocks for 2021 released recently;

Appian
    Cloudflare
    Fiverr
    Fulgent Genetics
    Lemonade
    Mercado Libre
    Okta
    Pinterest
    Shopify
    Zoom

Feel like I've missed the boat on a lot of these already but interesting to see how they get on. Having sold out of Lemonade a week or so ago, I'd be happy not to see this one do well next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Appian
    Cloudflare
    Fiverr
    Fulgent Genetics
    Lemonade
    Mercado Libre
    Okta
    Pinterest
    Shopify
    Zoom

Feel like I've missed the boat on a lot of these already but interesting to see how they get on. Having sold out of Lemonade a week or so ago, I'd be happy not to see this one do well next year!

Nice dip across the last 2 days in a few of them, I've picked up some Cloudflare Fiverr Pinterest, alongside Square, APPs, Xpeng, JD.com and PACB, I'm banking on this selloff just being people taking profit for end of year taxes in the USA.

My only regret is I didn't go swing trade NNDM some bit, big pump to 10.50 last week followed by an offering yesterday, down to sub8 but held nicely as loads of buying, strong talk of them making an acquisition of a private company, which will hopefully be a manufacturing company to let them build alot more of their machines for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

4d will have NASDAQ listing and may become more liquid. Also more access to capital...maybe that explains the move.

Looking good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

Hi

I had a nominee account with Davy whic I closed this year confirming a loss of 50k on Irish bank shares from 2008.

I opened a DEGIRO account made about 18k net profit on what was bought and sold overall.
    I would like to submit a tax return to record all an ensure the loss is carried forward.

18k minus 33% cgt 5940 minus 1270 exemption 4670 tax liability (if married and assessed as a couple is it possible to add the second exemption?)

50k-4670 loss to carry forward 45330€

Is this correct an if so what form
    On revenue.ie needs to be submitted?
    Thanks

I assume dividends are paid at your rate of PAYE tax rate?

For the shares do I simply need to complete the CGT form?

DO i need to pay any tax in this calendar year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

riddles wrote: »
    Hi

I had a nominee account with Davy whic I closed this year confirming a loss of 50k on Irish bank shares from 2008.

I opened a DEGIRO account made about 18k net profit on what was bought and sold overall.
    I would like to submit a tax return to record all an ensure the loss is carried forward.

18k minus 33% cgt 5940 minus 1270 exemption 4670 tax liability (if married and assessed as a couple is it possible to add the second exemption?)

50k-4670 loss to carry forward 45330€

Is this correct an if so what form
    On revenue.ie needs to be submitted?
    Thanks

I assume dividends are paid at your rate of PAYE tax rate?

For the shares do I simply need to complete the CGT form?

DO i need to pay any tax in this calendar year?

Did you sell all the shares this year when you closed your Davy account i.e. were the €50k losses realised this year? If so, your loss to carry forward is your net loss, so €32k based on your above figures. Losses have to be used before the €1270 so it isn't relevant for you.

You'll need to declare this on your form 11.

Dividends are treated as income and taxed accordingly, UK, US, Irish and foreign shares are all treated differently.

If married, ensure that your share accounts are in joint names to maximise tax opportunities. This is also an important factor when declaring losses etc if jointly assessed.

Might be best for you to get some advice if uncertain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mi1234

The loss of 50k is offset against the gain of 18k and the balance is carried forward. No Cgt arises for 2020 due to enough loss to cover the gain.
    The taxes on dividends are paid as on any other earned income by including them on your tax return for 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

Mercado Libre

I spotted this at the start of the year but totally forgot about it, checked in a couple of months ago and was kicking myself. Sensational returns YTD, no idea how much further it can go though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

commited wrote: »
    Did you sell all the shares this year when you closed your Davy account i.e. were the €50k losses realised this year? If so, your loss to carry forward is your net loss, so €32k based on your above figures. Losses have to be used before the €1270 so it isn't relevant for you.

You'll need to declare this on your form 11.

Dividends are treated as income and taxed accordingly, UK, US, Irish and foreign shares are all treated differently.

If married, ensure that your share accounts are in joint names to maximise tax opportunities. This is also an important factor when declaring losses etc if jointly assessed.

Might be best for you to get some advice if uncertain!

thanks, the 2020 form doesn't need to be completed before October 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

crushproof wrote: »
    I spotted this at the start of the year but totally forgot about it, checked in a couple of months ago and was kicking myself. Sensational returns YTD, no idea how much further it can go though

Yea I got on it as soon as they announced it. 190% ytd. Just exited most of my position.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Anybody still left in vxrt and know how approval is going?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sold all of Hive a few days ago. In@60c, out@$2.72

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tesla hit $712 today. It's like the tree that keeps on growing.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

And NIO back up today too.

Beam up 124%. Fecking raging I only bought one share.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tesla hit $712 today. It's like the tree that keeps on growing.

And I thought I was a great lad buying at the 1st dot and selling at the 2nd back in Jan lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

And NIO back up today too.

Beam up 124%. Fecking raging I only bought one share.

I’ve been long on crsp for about 2 years now, but I’m thinking of selling some to get into beam, good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I’ve been long on crsp for about 2 years now, but I’m thinking of selling some to get into beam, good idea?
    I don't know much about crsp to be honest. Maybe have both?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Can’t imagine we’ll ever have a more eventful year for stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Shedite27 wrote: »

Think your right, alot of people expecting a 5-10% correction at some stage in January, probably worthwhile keeping a bit of cash on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It is that sentiment that will allow us to repeat it in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I'm amazed reading the posts on here. It all seems to be rumours, tips and quick ins and outs hoping to make a quick buck.
    Does anyone actually look at the financials of the companies and go the 'value investing' approach? I'm trying to get my head around balance sheets, cash flow statements etc myself at the moment. Anyone else take this approach?

Yes, I do

I like Canadian stocks above other markets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Yes, I do

I like Canadian stocks above other markets

Hi! Do you mind me asking you why you like Canadian stocks so much? I live in Canada but have less than 5% of my portfolio in canadian stocks. Seem to be mainly banking and oil. The individual companies I like, I just buy them but would love to hear a different perspective!

jams100 wrote: »
    Think your right, alot of people expecting a 5-10% correction at some stage in January, probably worthwhile keeping a bit of cash on the side

The people waiting for that correction since April have lost more money in lost gains than we'll ever lose in a correction.

Hi! Do you mind me asking you why you like Canadian stocks so much? I live in Canada but have less than 5% of my portfolio in canadian stocks. Seem to be mainly banking and oil. The individual companies I like, I just buy them but would love to hear a different perspective!

From what I read of Canadian stocks, they've some great big dividend players so its mainly dividned investors that invest there.

• Advertisement

What a mental year, portfolio is up 61% for the year. My annual bonus in work gets paid in March, which coincided with the crash this year. It was nervy adding them to stocks but the shares I bought around Paddy's Day are up crazy numbers for 9 months, Trade Desk, Pinterest and Peloton all up nearly 4x.

Here's where my money is as we turn the year.

End-2020.png

Onto 2021

Advertisement