Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is very rarely a good time to buy a commodity industry, especially one as capital intensive as airlines.

My elementary knowledge would suggest if the share price of an otherwise fairly solid and established airline (BA) dropped $85 in a week, it'd be a good time to buy if the longer term prospects are ok / good, and that this price will most likely increase in the coming months and years?

Not sure if people on here generally buy and then sell frequently, but any shares I buy are generally for the long term. That's my rationale anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jesus its bad...im stuck in afew positions, but have a bit of liquidity to play with. Question is...will it go lower???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Are people confusing Boeing (ticker BA), the aircraft manufacturer with British Airways, the airline?:confused:

Ush1 wrote: »
    Are people confusing Boeing (ticker BA), the aircraft manufacturer with British Airways, the airline?:confused:

Literally spotted that a few seconds ago!! Careful ha! That was pretty ridiculous of them to use "BA" as their stock ticker?!?

BA are on the London SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Ryanair is the only Airline I'd be interested in and I'd still wait to get in.

Is there a high yield dividend fund anyone knows of? Some yields have shot up the last week.

• Advertisement

Literally spotted that a few seconds ago!! Careful ha! That was pretty ridiculous of them to use "BA" as their stock ticker?!?

BA are on the London SE.

Don't think they have been for a long time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭cmac2009

retalivity wrote: »
    Jesus its bad...im stuck in afew positions, but have a bit of liquidity to play with. Question is...will it go lower???

I suspect we still have a long way to go before reaching bottom. UK and US will have to take drastic action soon enough, similar to Italy, which will cause further panic in the market.

Don't think they have been for a long time.:)

Oops, even that was "BAE" - a different company! I see they are part of IAG now of course.

Oops, even that was "BAE" - a different company! I see they are part of AIG now of course.

I'd say do more research for a while mate before shelling out any cash, at least know what you're actually buying.

I'd say do more research for a while mate before shelling out any cash, at least know what you're actually buying.

Don't worry, I will ;) Not intending to buy them at all, a bit pricey even now. Although I see IAG have dropped massively of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

You ain’t seen nothing yet. Stock markets were like a fully loaded powder keg waiting for the spark. It is a long overdue correction.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    I suspect we still have a long way to go before reaching bottom. UK and US will have to take drastic action soon enough, similar to Italy, which will cause further panic in the market.

Knife will likely be falling for a couple of weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Just posting this as a snapshot in time for future readers to appreciate!

kCbtznc.png

I propose the thread title be changed to "Share Don't Picks 2020"! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Im same with some long term holds and a bit of cash in the account but I think it will get worse before it gets better. The only question is to load up on more of what I already hold or to buy something else when things start to turn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's dragging down the UK100 that much? Worst on FTSE is -18-20%

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Gone in to BA (boeing) and NCLH today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

My entire watchlist in the red today apart from MNK. Crazy. Wonder when this ends. I don't have much spare cash but I'll be buying something in the next few weeks if this keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Royal carribbean also looks attractive for longterm,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I went in on Ryanair again. Had a buy order at €10 set up yesterday and it was fulfilled. Sold half of my holding at €14. Almost sold the rest at €16 but held on. At least it brings my BEP down a bit more. Considering putting another buy order in for €9.50 or maybe less.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

My elementary knowledge would suggest if the share price of an otherwise fairly solid and established airline (BA) dropped $85 in a week, it'd be a good time to buy if the longer term prospects are ok / good, and that this price will most likely increase in the coming months and years?

Not sure if people on here generally buy and then sell frequently, but any shares I buy are generally for the long term. That's my rationale anyway!

It’s a very reasonable and well thought out strategy for the long term. We will get over this virus and return to normalcy. However, the airline business is in free fall and you need to wait until you see some indication of a floor for the business, not the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Supercell wrote: »
    So after reading today's virus numbers from Italy and seeing how the Americans are still seemingly more concerned about Sanders et al, I capitulated and sold all.
    Its painful, damn painful but I dont think its struck home in the US market how bad this is going to get over there. They just see the numbers out of Asia and think that's going to be them too.
    Well, my wife is from China and I can tell you there is no way in hell any western country can do what the Chinese did and continue to do to control it based on the stories she is telling me the folk back home have told her, just look at Italy.
    America is going to be Italy on steroids.
    Hope I'm wrong, hope I'm right, sick to my stomach on all accounts.
    Fcuk this virus :(

Thank god I listened to my gut, should have done it a week ago. What a bloodbath today and likely worse tomorrow. Can see Trump shutting down the US exchanges to get people to calm down at this rate..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

It’s a very reasonable and well thought out strategy for the long term. We will get over this virus and return to normalcy. However, the airline business is in free fall and you need to wait until you see some indication of a floor for the business, not the price.

Thanks, great advice and something I only just caught onto an hour or two ago, following this thread! It's not just about a low price, it's about getting an idea as to how low it can go.

Supercell wrote: »
    Thank god I listened to my gut, should have done it a week ago. What a bloodbath today and likely worse tomorrow. Can see Trump shutting down the US exchanges to get people to calm down at this rate..
    Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

Will the virus stop in its tracks by tomorrow in Europe/US?
    Would you want to hold over the weekend knowing that by Monday half of the US maybe on lockdown too?

Also tomorrow is Friday 13th ..dun..dun..dun..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Thanks, great advice and something I only just caught onto an hour or two ago, following this thread! It's not just about a low price, it's about getting an idea as to how low it can go.

It's about waiting for the business environment to stabilise or improve. You will not to be able to wait for the low before it surges, which it will, once we get over this crisis. Everyone who sold will jump back in again. It's impossible to time it.

The value available now is generational. It's not a question of if, but a question of when. irrational selling will now hasten the prospects for a recession. It might be a quick or temporary one but we're selling and scaring our way into one. So there's more value to come for those with a long-term perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's more aggressive than the financial crisis which bar October 2008, was spun out over several months

It's about waiting for the business environment to stabilise or improve. You will not to be able to wait for the low before it surges, which it will, once we get over this crisis. Everyone who sold will jump back in again. It's impossible to time it.

The value available now is generational. It's not a question of if, but a question of when. irrational selling will now hasten the prospects for a recession. It might be a quick or temporary one but we're selling and scaring our way into one. So there's more value to come for those with a long-term perspective.

Well, my view is always long-term or at the very least medium-term. I would imagine the 'real low' will come in a few weeks or thereabouts (or maybe even a few months), and it will be some time before it all starts to rise again.

So for example, wait for a few weeks (at least) to buy Delta, and hold for the next few years - or sell if you want once you do see that uplift and you want / need the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Anyone ever invest in Prudential shares? They are down to $48 dollars, usually over the $100 mark.

AIM ImmunoTech look like a great bet now, but I wonder why their share price has sunk over the past 5 years from previous highs...

Will do some research but could see a huge lift if they go to market with their flagship drug in the coming months.

• Advertisement

fed just pumped in $1BN.

Gonna be a bounce for the rest of the day

Advertisement