Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

Shedite27 wrote: »
    fed just pumped in $1BN.

Gonna be a bounce for the rest of the day

Jay to the rescue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

initially a billion and then 500m a week thereafter? plus the overnight repos

https://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/opolicy/operating_policy_200312a

"Today, March 12, 2020, the Desk will offer $500 billion in a three-month repo operation at 1:30 pm ET that will settle on March 13, 2020. Tomorrow, the Desk will further offer $500 billion in a three-month repo operation and $500 billion in a one-month repo operation for same day settlement. Three-month and one-month repo operations for $500 billion will be offered on a weekly basis for the remainder of the monthly schedule. The Desk will continue to offer at least $175 billion in daily overnight repo operations and at least $45 billion in two-week term repo operations twice per week over this period."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Shedite27 wrote: »
    fed just pumped in $1BN.

Gonna be a bounce for the rest of the day

Ah thats what that sharp increase was.
    I bought yesterday visa at 172. It crashed over night. I sold today on the peak of that bounce at 171. only a 60 dollar loss. Perfectly happy with it. I was wondering what was causing it.

Delighted i got out. It fell immediately after.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

manonboard wrote: »
    I bought yesterday visa at 172. It crashed over night. I sold today on the peak of that bounce at 171. only a 60 dollar loss. Perfectly happy with it. I was wondering what was causing it.

Not hold for the mid-term? (As in a few years, not Easter hahah)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Might aswell have flushed that 1.5 billion down the bog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Bought some Microsoft just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well, my view is always long-term or at the very least medium-term. I would imagine the 'real low' will come in a few weeks or thereabouts (or maybe even a few months), and it will be some time before it all starts to rise again.

So for example, wait for a few weeks (at least) to buy Delta, and hold for the next few years - or sell if you want once you do see that uplift and you want / need the funds.

We are due a relief rally - bear rally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

What are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Why on Earth did you do that...??!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Vix at 73.

• Advertisement

S&P now at 2017 levels. The panic is real :pac:

Probably be a big green day tomorrow followed by red Monday.

I'm trying to attain Zen as a means of dealing with all the upheaval over the last number of days and weeks.
    To be clear; this is not a recommendation to buy zendesk shares(nyse: ZEN) which are performing just as poorly as the rest of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

Thankfully I don't have a serious amount invested, currently small holdings in MA, DIS, FB and VKTX.

However I am fascinated by this drop and what is to come, my eyes are glued to the TV and wrb. I was barely out of the womb the last time the FTSE had a bigger drop so this is unprecedented for someone like me.

And by the sounds of it it'll only get worse. Absolutely fascinating

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Sorry.. couldn't resist..

Okay. Pork belly prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody's waiting for it to hit rock bottom so they can buy cheap and go long. Which means that the people who own the pork belly contracts are goin' bat-****. They're saying, "Hey, we're losing all our goddamn money, and Christmas is just around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip, right? And my wife won't f... my wife won't make love to me 'cuz I ain't got no money, right?" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now! I can feel it! They out there!

Why on Earth did you do that...??!

Why did I sell on the peak rise today? I dont know if I explained my self clearly. I sold on the highest today which was near what I bought at yesterday.
    I thought yesterday it was a good entry point. I was wrong. I got lucky today n sold..saving myself nearly a 7pc loss had I stayed in.
    Kamu wrote: »
    Not hold for the mid-term? (As in a few years, not Easter hahah)

I do intend to actually. However with the ever increasing panic from average Joe, I think the reality is going to be more severe than I thought. The market has been easy to make money in the last years. It became hotter than i ever imagined. I think it'll have a deeper fall due to the over valuation intensity it had. Its dropping 3 to 7 pc bad days now...its still a falling knife.
    I've been lucky during this. Lost practically nothing so far.
    2 decisions to sell out about 4 months ago because I felt everything was too expensive. I nearly capitulated a few times as my friends/family made more.
    I remembered how 2008 felt it always felt like a bottom due to the crazy falls.. those charts only show a bottom in hindsight..while longer..it fell much more than this.

My office closed today on senior orders. Schools closed. Continents locked down. Formally identified cases are the numbers of people infect 1.5 weeks ago at a minimum. After symptoms. The numbers now indicate a general population spread with a 1 to 4pc mortality rate.
    Productivity will be down massively imo. Cut backs. Bankruptcy.

We were due a recession of the market..and I never imagined a pandemic kicking it off.

It's got me spooked. I'll hold off until I stop seeing fear n panic..when I see sadness n regret. I'll call that a bottom. That's how it seemed in 2008 to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Delta are taking a ****ing hammering. They're down 45% from their Jan high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

It’s much worse than 2008 because the corporate debt and bond markets are bombs waiting to explode. All that’s left is massive fiscal stimulus from already indebted governments. This ends in massive inflation and currency crisis like all credit bubbles since the first one recorded in Athens in 594BC. It’s a mess.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    What are you doing?

You mean strategy? I'm out of the market until I see no panic r fear...before we feel happy again.
    The economy is good and the stock valuations were crazy.
    Productivity will be down for a while temporarily.

I'll jump back in when travel bans start to lift. When the rate of infection appears to even out shortly..n if our health services can manage a load.
    When offices seem likely to open again. Before it happens..and after it looks like it will.

I got out of this market 4 months ago because I couldn't predict it easy enough. Things seemed fragile and everything was so expensive. Counting my blessings I avoided a loss in this tragedy unfolding. Share holders losing money is never cool when its regular chaps like boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭cmac2009

You mean strategy? I'm out of the market until I see no panic r fear...before we feel happy again.

I'll jump back in when travel bans start to lift. When the rate of infection appears to even out shortly..n if our health services can manage a load.
    When offices seem likely to open again. Before it happens..and after it looks like it will.

I got out of this market 4 months ago because I couldn't predict it easy enough. Things seemed fragile and everything was so expensive. Counting my blessings I avoided a loss in this tragedy unfolding. Share holders losing money is never cool when its regular chaps like boardsies!

Some lovely after timing there.

Your idea to buy V after a huge drop, then sell it again the next day for a loss doesn't make sense. There was full panic and fear when you bought it.

Either you're only in it for a quick buck, or are in panic mode like the masses. :P

Not attacking or trying to be rude, just trying to understand if you're BSing us the psyche :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Major bull here. Always am. And have bought on each dip down so far. But to be honest, I’m starting to waver now. Trying to hold my nerve but it ain’t easy!

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Your idea to buy V after a huge drop, then sell it again the next day for a loss doesn't make sense. There was full panic and fear when you bought it.

Either you're only in it for a quick buck, or are in panic mode like the masses. :P

Not attacking or trying to be rude, just trying to understand if you're BSing us the psyche :pac:

No not BSing. Happy to post my order as.
    I'm an amateur. Nothing to be gained for me by anyone thinking other wise.
    Well I'm happy with my decision because it saved me another 7pc fall today.
    I only loss 1 dollar per 172 dollar share since I sold on peak today.i dont mind a loss that small. A dozen coffees.
    I did indeed feel the panic. It crashed further over night n i woke up to travel bans/office closed/school closed.
    I'll stay out now so I protect my capital n my good fortune.

No rudeness taken 🙂 happy to get critique n educated!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

I’m all out since Monday. Very very happy with decision after major life impacting gains over 5 years. I have a specific plan for the funds. As for bargains out there, well you better wait for not this round, nor the next round of quarterly results and then wait for 10% after that before buying. Do not buy a dead duck or catch a falling knife. You are better off with cash now, or paying of mortgage or othe debt if any. Stay away from stocks until at least end of this year so we can see what happens, far far too unpredictable to know the full effect of broken supply chain and countless projects cancelled, too many companies leveraged that will fold. Cash is ok for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Couple more weeks of this, and market valuations might start looking Realistic again for the first time in a long long time.

My portfolio has lost 40% of its gains. Many stocks are lower now than when i bought them in 2017/2018.

Still in the green, but i expect to hit December 2018 levels of red. Only regret is not taking some profits on NVDA over 300.

I'll ride it out, adding few hundred each week.

buy and hold is a mugs game

Disney down 40%

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    buy and hold is a mugs game

Not if you own dividend paying stocks

the FTSE 100 was higher in january 1998 than it is today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone watching Vice stocks, like guns, American outdoor brands had a good day, aka https://www.smith-wesson.com/
    https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/aobc

Advertisement