Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm applying for Degiro and I'm bring asked "do you want to apply for a reduced withholding tax rate on us source income?"

What is this and should I do it? I'm based in Ireland for tax purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    buy and hold is a mugs game

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ush1 wrote: »
    Why?

High frequency trading culture means violent swings happen more often and can wipe years of gains out in short periods of time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm applying for Degiro and I'm bring asked "do you want to apply for a reduced withholding tax rate on us source income?"

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

https://www.taxback.com/en/corporate/dwt-faq/

• Advertisement

High frequency trading culture means violent swings happen more often and can wipe years of gains out in short periods of time

Yes but the right picks for the long term is generally a solid strategy.

Investors holding long term are less likely to effected by short term volatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Investors holding long term are less likely to effected by short term volatility.

Correct and proven over time. Irrational behaviour frightens people into selling. Irrational exuberance will frighten them further into buying when matters improve. And they will.

I can’t speak to day trading or the 4.50 at Chepstow, each to their own and best of luck.

What I can say is that super companies aren’t going anywhere. Monetary policy has no fire power so fiscal instruments will be needed to keep small and medium companies functioning. We will see unprecedented intervention. The fake tan man in the White House cannot afford the market in red and middle America rusting further. Every day in red reinforces paranoia. He has to fix it fast if he wants another go and idiocy is his best friend right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Guys I know things are looking bleak at the moment regarding this pandemic, but people make money on these major dips. What would be good buys on an upturn & when is the best time to buy, I know a difficult one to predict.

I have no experience in share buying, any taughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

James 007 wrote: »
    Guys I know things are looking bleak at the moment regarding this pandemic, but people make money on these major dips. What would be good buys on an upturn & when is the best time to buy, I know a difficult one to predict.

I have no experience in share buying, any taughts.

Unless you have a strong idea about day trading. Avoid trying to get short term profit.

If you have money which is risk ok, and time which is medium to long. Any of the big well known companies such as Microsoft, Disney, netflix, Visa, Mastercard, Amazon are all safe buys in my opinion for long term holding.
    If you know about tech, AMD is a cool option i think.

It would be worth scanning the last few pages for big name long established companies. Those that have a proven record of recovery and you intend to keep using yourself in the future.

Im partially interested in Coco Cola. They've dropped 25%. I don't see that brand having recovery issues. They dominate their market, I dont see people cutting back on addictive sugar intake other than a short term decrease to avoid cost. They have a good dividend, and they bought Costa Coffee, which i see them as having a likely profitable future in. It's very fast growing in US, and in general is seen as a less 'Starbucksy' place (even though it entirely is!)

True but the returns are fairly modest when you hold through crashes, the FTSE 100 is no higher today than it was in January 1998, the dividends obviously are a plus

• Advertisement

manonboard wrote: »
    Unless you have a strong idea about day trading. Avoid trying to get short term profit.

If you have money which is risk ok, and time which is medium to long. Any of the big well known companies such as Microsoft, Disney, netflix, Visa, Mastercard, Amazon are all safe buys in my opinion for long term holding.
    If you know about tech, AMD is a cool option i think.

It would be worth scanning the last few pages for big name long established companies. Those that have a proven record of recovery and you intend to keep using yourself in the future.

Im partially interested in Coco Cola. They've dropped 25%. I don't see that brand having recovery issues. They dominate their market, I dont see people cutting back on addictive sugar intake other than a short term decrease to avoid cost. They have a good dividend, and they bought Costa Coffee, which i see them as having a likely profitable future in. It's very fast growing in US, and in general is seen as a less 'Starbucksy' place (even though it entirely is!)

Coca cola is just about the safest stock out there, Johnson and Johnson another

True but the returns are fairly modest when you hold through crashes, the FTSE 100 is no higher today than it was in January 1998, the dividends obviously are a plus

If you bought Microsoft shares in 1998, you'd be a happy man today if you held them.

True. Coke have issues with the supply chain and that’s short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Underground

Transferred funds to degiro account for the first time in months this morning. Plenty of fun to be had out there now.

Anyone looking at airbus, dropped 15%yesterday, might be a good proxy for the airlines?,effectively part of a global duopoly and with Boeing going through a very rough patch, perhaps well placed to recover quicker than it's American counterpart?

High debt however

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

If you bought Microsoft shares in 1998, you'd be a happy man today if you held them.

U’d be happy man to be alive that’s 22 years to wait at that stage u’d be more interested in keeping the shares than the wife !

Yeah, J&J is a hugely diversified stock in itself.
    Along with Coca Cola you'd expect both to get back to previous highs within 6 months .......... 30% ish returns within that period is very good. Unless they fall further of course.

For small money Baron Oil is decent IMO, £2.5m placing at £0.001 recently and the share is £0.0007 now .......... recent highs of £0.005 or something before the placing ......... short term funding now in place and they've a nice gas asset to explore/develop. Quite real chances of 500% rises from current SP within 2020 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fed pump news has the market euphoric, going to be an interesting day for sure. My guess uuuuge gap up followed by drift down midday (US time) and dump last hour or so into close. Thoughts?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

U’d be happy man to be alive that’s 22 years to wait at that stage u’d be more interested in keeping the shares than the wife !

"The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient" - Warren Buffett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

manonboard wrote: »
    Why did I sell on the peak rise today? I dont know if I explained my self clearly. I sold on the highest today which was near what I bought at yesterday.
    I thought yesterday it was a good entry point. I was wrong. I got lucky today n sold..saving myself nearly a 7pc loss had I stayed in.

I remembered how 2008 felt it always felt like a bottom due to the crazy falls.. those charts only show a bottom in hindsight..while longer..it fell much more than this.

It's got me spooked. I'll hold off until I stop seeing fear n panic..when I see sadness n regret. I'll call that a bottom. That's how it seemed in 2008 to me.

Man, I completely agree with 2008, I got into some Bank shares thinking this is the lowest they'll go and then everything burst....so folks stay calm and try to accumulate in these dips bit by bit

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Fed pump news has the market euphoric, going to be an interesting day for sure. My guess uuuuge gap up followed by drift down midday (US time) and dump last hour or so into close. Thoughts?

I’m thinking that could be the playbook alright. A sort of manipulative dead cat bounce. Then again, some cracking value for long term holders. A lot of cash waiting for a bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Thank god I listened to my gut, should have done it a week ago. What a bloodbath today and likely worse tomorrow. Can see Trump shutting down the US exchanges to get people to calm down at this rate..
    Make up your mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

This is how those ten baggers get bagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

I've orders in DIS, KO, and AT&T. I'd be happy in and around the price I set.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Make up your mind :D

1.5 trillion Fed pump wasnt announced when I posted the first one, anyhow, the close is all the matters, 5% + swings every day its crazy.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah, J&J is a hugely diversified stock in itself.
    Along with Coca Cola you'd expect both to get back to previous highs within 6 months .......... 30% ish returns within that period is very good. Unless they fall further of course.

Coca Cola sounds like one of the best stocks you could buy, but I see it was at the same level a year ago. I guess this is one where you'd expect to see steady, modest gains since they are so established and unlikely to see massive highs or huge dips (aside from in these kind of scenarios of course!)?

For example, if you'd bought 10 shares 5 years ago at the then price of $40 and sold in the middle of last month at $60, you'd have made a couple of hundred dollars. Not huge obviously but still a nice gain and way more than you'd get with the funds sitting in a bank account! And of course, double that investment makes double the return, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

Coca Cola sounds like one of the best stocks you could buy, but I see it was at the same level a year ago. I guess this is one where you'd expect to see steady, modest gains since they are so established and unlikely to see massive highs or huge dips (aside from in these kind of scenarios of course!)?

For example, if you'd bought 10 shares 5 years ago at the then price of $40 and sold in the middle of last month at $60, you'd have made a couple of hundred dollars. Not huge obviously but still a nice gain and way more than you'd get with the funds sitting in a bank account! And of course, double that investment makes double the return, and so on.

Don't forget dividends in those 5 years. Ok, very little in 10 shares, bit something nonetheless.

Coca Cola sounds like one of the best stocks you could buy, but I see it was at the same level a year ago. I guess this is one where you'd expect to see steady, modest gains since they are so established and unlikely to see massive highs or huge dips (aside from in these kind of scenarios of course!)?........

coca cola is a great example of how the stock market isn't at all rational.
    Year on year growth in sales, volume etc etc but stock price was $44 in 1998, $20 in 2004, $30 in 2007, back to low $40s in 2014 (16 years to get back to that from 1998), all time peak of $60 a few weeks ago and now back to mid $40s.

A great example also of why diversification is best, having your money in a few great companies might not cut the mustard at all, it needs to be spread around in the S&P500 and the FTSE100 etc etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Year on year growth in sales, volume etc etc but stock price was $44 in 1998, $20 in 2004, $30 in 2007, back to low $40s in 2014 (16 years to get back to that from 1998), all time peak of $60 a few weeks ago and now back to mid $40s.

A great example also of why diversification is best, having your money in a few great companies might not cut the mustard at all, it needs to be spread around in the S&P500 and the FTSE100 etc etc :)

Anyone know if VUSA is the EU equivalent to the vanguard VOO S&P 500, can't buy VOO through Degiro now but sold 10 x shares just before this nightmare began and made a handsome profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Heiser

I've been holding off buying the s&p500. Was going to jump in today but think I'll leave it till Monday and see how the weekend goes

Advertisement