Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Hi guys, I've been lurking this thread over the past couple weeks as recent developments have been pretty fascinating and also hit an investment account of mine pretty hard.

I know next to nothing about the stock market and trading but would be interested to learn with a view to getting involved in future. Can anyone recommend a good place to start learning? Books/videos/blogs/courses etc assuming that my base level knowledge is essentially 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Kamu wrote: »
    Don't forget dividends in those 5 years. Ok, very little in 10 shares, bit something nonetheless.

Dividends...hmm how does that work if you invest via say Revolut or Degiro - surely dividends aren't paid through there? It must be via Computershare (if that's who Coke use, for example), or some more direct way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Dividends...hmm how does that work if you invest via say Revolut or Degiro - surely dividends aren't paid through there? It must be via Computershare (if that's who Coke use, for example), or some more direct way?
    Dividends are paid through Degiro and go back to your cash account. I know some company shares are auto invested but for the ones I hold, the dividend price is paid to my cash account.

august12 wrote: »
    Dividends are paid through Degiro and go back to your cash account. I know some company shares are auto invested but for the ones I hold, the dividend price is paid to my cash account.

Oh wow right, nice! That's sweet :) Do Coca Cola pay much of a dividend do you know (or anyone else)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Oh wow right, nice! That's sweet :) Do Coca Cola pay much of a dividend do you know (or anyone else)?

Don’t forget you have to pay tax on it

• Advertisement

At current SP of $47 the dividend is 3.48%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Heiser wrote: »
    I've been holding off buying the s&p500. Was going to jump in today but think I'll leave it till Monday and see how the weekend goes

Elliot wave and Fibonnaci sequences indicate a short bounce in s+p then a crash later next week to @2000

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Heiser wrote: »
    I've been holding off buying the s&p500. Was going to jump in today but think I'll leave it till Monday and see how the weekend goes
    Good idea. This could be one of the most impactful weekends ever for the US stocks, who knows what sort of numbers/lockdown there'll be by the time the market opens Monday.
    MR NINE wrote: »
    I know next to nothing about the stock market and trading but would be interested to learn with a view to getting involved in future. Can anyone recommend a good place to start learning? Books/videos/blogs/courses etc assuming that my base level knowledge is essentially 0.
    App store, search "Learn: How to invest in stocks". There's an app that has the word "My" in the icon. Lovely digestible guide to get you started.
    Augeo wrote: »
    A great example also of why diversification is best, having your money in a few great companies might not cut the mustard at all, it needs to be spread around in the S&P500 and the FTSE100 etc etc :)
    That's been the biggest lesson for me this week, by 8 stocks isn't diversified enough. Need to be hitting 20 to avoid big losses

Don’t forget you have to pay tax on it

Yep, guess that automatically takes 33% of all your profits! So much better than what you get with money sitting in the bank / savings though, so all good!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That's about as much as I'd have expected alright :) Is it more the bigger, established companies that pay dividends?

No, sometimes the opposite but it can depend. Berkshire Hathaway pays no dividend. Often newer floated companies, such as Tangiers Malls, offer a big dividend yield to entice investors to buy shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I just bought my first position ever. It's a tiny amount, but it's for test purposes. Do we ourselves pay stamp duty on shares, or do Deigiro pay it for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

I just bought my first position ever. It's a tiny amount, but it's for test purposes. Do we ourselves pay stamp duty on shares, or do Deigiro pay it for us?

Welcome on being new proud owner of a piece of a company. Now steady as she goes, look and learn and take your time. More volatility to come until the oil price and covid19 plateau. Who knows when that will happen. But it will. So don’t be spooked on the spikes in both directions if you believe that the company you bought a piece has feet long term potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Ush1 wrote: »
    "The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient" - Warren Buffett

I will see your buffet quote and raise you with one from Keynes
    "The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."

I think what we are seeing is an irrational reaction to a large number of stocks and this will self correct in time once the market has had time to digest the facts. There is some real value in blue chip companies that are not impacted by the virus, people still need to eat & drink and their supply chains thus far are generally in tact with limited disruption. I would imagine some of the tech companies will do very well, anything related to working from home will be in huge demand including laptops etc

alanceltic wrote: »

I think what we are seeing is an irrational reaction to a large number of stocks and this will self correct in time........

Most definitely.
    It's rationale in ways though, you can be sure the institutional investors etc etc sold off loads at close to peak value and may or may not have bought back in yet.
    The large volume of selling done early on in this drop wasn't from private investors.

As sure as night follows day the market shall rise again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

alanceltic wrote: »
    I will see your buffet quote and raise you with one from Keynes
    "The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."

I think what we are seeing is an irrational reaction to a large number of stocks and this will self correct in time once the market has had time to digest the facts. There is some real value in blue chip companies that are not impacted by the virus, people still need to eat & drink and their supply chains thus far are generally in tact with limited disruption. I would imagine some of the tech companies will do very well, anything related to working from home will be in huge demand including laptops etc

If you're playing with your solvency you're already on to an extremely high risk strategy.

On the second point, you would think so but Cisco tanked like the rest but will come back over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Ush1 wrote: »
    No, sometimes the opposite but it can depend. Berkshire Hathaway pays no dividend.

Speaking of Berkshire Hathaway, anyone think there's value in it at the moment? I am wondering if it's effectively a good alternative to the US s&p 500 ETFs we can no longer buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

PaulKK wrote: »
    Speaking of Berkshire Hathaway, anyone think there's value in it at the moment? I am wondering if it's effectively a good alternative to the US s&p 500 ETFs we can no longer buy.

I own a few from a few years back and had the same mindset at the time. With all the cash at his disposal, I'm sure he'll look at taking advantage of the value available at present prices. Logic would suggest he might buy Delta outright given his significant stake and their valuation relative to peers. Who knows, but yes, I think it's a good way of 'piggybacking' a very well managed, cash rich, sophisticated company.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its not a bad place to buy here, likely to go up and down some in the near future, get a feeling for how it feels when down and how not to panic when it is, the way the volatility is right now you will be up next day, see how that feels too :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

.......... the US s&p 500 ETFs we can no longer buy.

Is Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF (VUSD) not an option?
    I've not bought into it but it appears I can once "BEFORE PROCEEDING
    In order to proceed with this transaction, we will provide you with a Key Information Document (KID)/Key Investor Information Document (KIID). Once you click Request, the document will be sent to the Account Correspondence section of your online account. You should ensure that you read and understand this document before proceeding with this investment"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

In order to proceed with this transaction, we will provide you with a Key Information Document (KID)/Key Investor Information Document (KIID). Once you click Request, the document will be sent to the Account Correspondence section of your online account. You should ensure that you read and understand this document before proceeding with this investment"

It is but I couldn't be bothered with the 8 year deemed disposal. My intention would be to regularly invest rather than lump sum.

I held VTI and VOO on degiro until the rules changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Supercell wrote: »
    Fed pump news has the market euphoric, going to be an interesting day for sure. My guess uuuuge gap up followed by drift down midday (US time) and dump last hour or so into close. Thoughts?

Coming up next, the lottery numbers 4,7,9,15,20,32

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Available on the European stock exchanges, not accessible for the us exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭BikeRacer

manonboard wrote: »
    It's got me spooked. I'll hold off until I stop seeing fear n panic..when I see sadness n regret. I'll call that a bottom. That's how it seemed in 2008 to me.

There was a work colleague declared this week that has no experience/history of trading that 'it's a great time to buy shares', the last time I heard someone say that was in 2008 before the crash.

The bubble now is America and not carrying out proper testing so they're deliberately manipulating their numbers and effectively burying their head in the sand. When they declare a state of emergency, then we'll see panic.

I'm in cash waiting in the wings for that to happen. Of course, this is just my own opinion so should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone trade in some of those short efts on Degiro?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

KKR is one that I've got on my watchlist
    https://www.kkr.com/businesses/kkr-portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

BikeRacer wrote: »
    There was a work colleague declared this week that has no experience/history of trading that 'it's a great time to buy shares', the last time I heard someone say that was in 2008 before the crash.

Ah the memories that brought back too. My mum who has no clue how anything like this works also came to me in 2008 asking about shares and apartment in Bulgaria.. I think she heard it on eastenders.

I've a few people asking me about shares this week too. It might help if i didnt talk about them! :D

BikeRacer wrote: »

The bubble now is America and not carrying out proper testing so they're deliberately manipulating their numbers and effectively burying their head in the sand. When they declare a state of emergency, then we'll see panic.

I'm in cash waiting in the wings for that to happen. Of course, this is just my own opinion so should be taken with a grain of salt.

They've already declared a state of emergency in several states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's gas, I've been saying for a few years the markets too expensive to start. I only went in today to prep myself for a few months down the line

Advertisement