Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Dow futures Down 4%!

Plus minus 12%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Godspeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Good luck everyone. Got out on wednesday/thursday luckily, almost kicked myself for missing the big rise on friday but i expected it was a great day likely to follow a bad day. The new last night of so much financial pumping went down so bad with investors. I interpreted it as a great warning sign of what to come.

Its perfectly ok to show investors there are lifeboats on our ship.. but when people are deploying lifeboats.. the reaction changes alot.

Hope everyone does ok today in market. I was thinking it will recover a little before dropping off again maybe very late.

Given that we dont know if immunity from this virus is possible/short term or long term... i still think the best approach is to stay out until we have more information. Whatever recovery will come, it will last a quite a while, plenty of time to get it and grow your shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Massive QE, rate cut, futures down 4.5 right now. Another madly volatile week coming up. QE may prevent huge further falls unless there is some really bad virus headline news. The situation in Italy isn't encouraging have to say.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Vaccine trials are now underway. Theses will be sped up for asap approval. I suspect that once a vaccine is available markets will rocket back.

I'm no longer an individual investor. I'm primarily in Prisma 4 & 5 (was enjoying a great year up to 3 weeks ago), but I suspect markets will be back to normal by the 2nd half of the year.

If I was still looking at individual shares, I'd still look for the strong airlines. The weak ones will go under and this will make the likes of Ryanair, Southwest, Easyjet etc stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

manonboard wrote: »
    The new last night of so much financial pumping went down so bad with investors. I interpreted it as a great warning sign of what to come.

Know the difference between speculators and investors. These measures are not intended to satisfy the speculators, they are there to support industry. Investors are looking five years out and trying to identify the opportunity that will do well in the long run. Speculators on the other hand provide the opportunity to off load your losers to them ‘cause they suddenly think it’s a good and buy their good stuff when the think it’s a bad idea.

People who want to spend their time catching falling knives should not be surprised when they end up with cuts on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Ryanair down over 20%, i hope all the people saying buy over the last few weeks held of ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

silver2020 wrote: »
    Vaccine trials are now underway. Theses will be sped up for asap approval. I suspect that once a vaccine is available markets will rocket back.

I'm no longer an individual investor. I'm primarily in Prisma 4 & 5 (was enjoying a great year up to 3 weeks ago), but I suspect markets will be back to normal by the 2nd half of the year.

If I was still looking at individual shares, I'd still look for the strong airlines. The weak ones will go under and this will make the likes of Ryanair, Southwest, Easyjet etc stronger.

Talk of vaccines at this point is merely "happy talk". Since the swine flu vaccine was rushed out by GSK and later found to cause narcolepsy I dobut we'll see the same mistake repeated. Health care professionals think we'll see this pandemic in 3 waves with significant disruption to all partd of life for next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Well done to anyone that sold - who knows where this will end up. Hard to know what is being priced in currently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

Browney7 wrote: »
    Well done to anyone that sold - who knows where this will end up. Hard to know what is being priced in currently

Almost feel chuffed having sold half my portfolio early last week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Talk of vaccines at this point is merely "happy talk". Since the swine flu vaccine was rushed out and found later to cause narcolepsy I dont think we'll see the mistake repeated. Health care professionals think we'll see this pandemic in 3 waves with significant disruption part of life for the foreseeable.

one of the vaccines is suspected of triggering narcolepsy in one group who had a specific genetic make-up. The reason for this was that that narcolepsy itself was not fully understood and the effects did not show in any trial as no-one with the specific genetic make-up was part of the trials.

This vaccine was withdrawn, (Pandemrix) but the other vaccine (Focetria) had no issue and is still used.

And talk of vaccine is not happy talk. More experts are working on this and collaborating that has ever been seen in the pharma industry - an industry famed for secrecy.

It will be 6-9 months before a valid vaccine is available though, but expect voluntary testing on the worst of patients quicker.

And once there are signs of successful trial, the market will start looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

Along with a vaccine, another indicator of the markets turning would be a lift on the travel ban.

Travel company's are taking a hammering and are looking like bargains.

However, thousands of people across the world will have lost their jobs because of Covid-19, that will have lasting effects on the markets/economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Whats the morality of trading in a crashed market? My trading strategy since I started 3 years ago has always been buying oversold stock and flipping for a quick gain. I am in heaven with the current market, Friday was a good day and I fully expect I could flip the same stock 3 or 4 times as various stimulus packages come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

krissovo wrote: »
    Whats the morality of trading in a crashed market? My trading strategy since I started 3 years ago has always been buying oversold stock and flipping for a quick gain. I am in heaven with the current market, Friday was a good day and I fully expect I could flip the same stock 3 or 4 times as various stimulus packages come into play.

Care to share your pick?

Treppen wrote: »
    Care to share your pick?

I am trawling Tech companies at the moment especially Cloud. VMware has tanked and was below $100 on Thursday. Also companies like Zoom will do well from home working.

I am trawling Tech companies at the moment especially Cloud. VMware has tanked and was below $100 on Thursday. Also companies like Zoom will do well from home working.

Amazon. The cloud tech is just absolutely savage. Im moving my entire career into it. I've never seen something so beautiful tech wise before. Its going to be industry standard for all software companies in my opinion. Microsoft might have the edge in non product companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭antimatterx

AWS is ****ing beautiful tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

What’s the best way to trade options in Ireland? On indices - S and P, Dow. Is degiro the best way to go? Buying, not selling options

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

ive CNBC on my Sky TV - every other channel is fine except CNBC (its like its a bad signal - picture all breaking up)- no rain or anything ..and just CNBC all other chanells are fine anyone having this issue? possible solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

ive CNBC on my Sky TV - every other channel is fine except CNBC (its like its a bad signal - picture all breaking up)- no rain or anything ..and just CNBC all other chanells are fine anyone having this issue? possible solution?

Ya need to buy some stock in it.

• Advertisement

Same for me, has been since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

Same for me, has been since last week.

okay though it might be they changed the frequency or something. its okay sometimes but can be really bad. im guessing but the signal might be coming from far away .. .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

manonboard wrote: »
    Amazon. The cloud tech is just absolutely savage. Im moving my entire career into it. I've never seen something so beautiful tech wise before. Its going to be industry standard for all software companies in my opinion. Microsoft might have the edge in non product companies.

Azure has numerous advantages over AWS, not least the big US military deal they done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Ush1 wrote: »
    Azure has numerous advantages over AWS, not least the big US military deal they done.

That deal may be rolled back, but I feel Microsoft are good value. Hopefully today's inevitable drop is less than Fridays 10% gain.

Ush1 wrote: »

Definitely some advantages and some disadvantages. I have more experience with AWS rather than Azure and my impression so far is that AWS is ahead of them still, which attracts tech companies to them more. For non product, tech savvy companies, such as services maybe, azure could be a more holistic product for them. Certain room for both. Both will make a fortune from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

AAPL, GOOG, AMZN, MSFT, DIS, GS all down more than 9% pre market. Hold on to your hats

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

great time to buy anything that is recession proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Ryanair down over 20%, i hope all the people saying buy over the last few weeks held of ha.

I'm looking at getting some of them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Am waiting for US markets to open, and see what happens, have my eye on BA and AAL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm looking at getting some of them today.

They've just announced they're close to grounding all planes, why would ya be thinking of buying? I understand they'll come back but surely they're nowhere near out of the woods

Advertisement