Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

strathspey wrote: »
    I'm thinking some of the Nasdaq PC/Server manufactures might be a good pick. The likes of AMD and Intel were already struggling to fill their order books prior to this crash and now with remote working, virtual conferencing, machine learning processing their products will be in even higher demand.

Intel hasn't dropped output yet. Still operating at 100%. They were ahead of the curve and implemented social distancing on Friday along with a lot of other measures. They are letting unprecedented numbers work from home and so far so good. Expect the price to drop a bit more so I'd hold of on buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Not a share as such but with Bitcoin being up 31% in the past 365 days it's a better store of value than some other asset classes.

Yes we can pick and choose dates and zoom in out etc but you can do that with shares also.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Im looking today to start picking an oil based recovery play for a part of my portfolio.
    Oil is at an incredible low, and ive little doubt coming out of this, we will still be largely fossil fuel dependent! :)

If anything, i suspect the move to green energy will be slowed by this as resources move to more immediate things.

I dont think i want to actually buy the commodity because i have so little knowledge of what/where the oil is etc and how that works. So a oil EFT sounds like the best?

Could anyone suggest? thanks

I was thinking USO but i'd prefer more european if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

manonboard wrote: »
    Im looking today to start picking an oil based recovery play for a part of my portfolio.
    Oil is at an incredible low, and ive little doubt coming out of this, we will still be largely fossil fuel dependent! :)

If anything, i suspect the move to green energy will be slowed by this as resources move to more immediate things.

I dont think i want to actually buy the commodity because i have so little knowledge of what/where the oil is etc and how that works. So a oil EFT sounds like the best?

Could anyone suggest? thanks

I was thinking USO but i'd prefer more european if possible?

I suggest you actually understand something about the energy industry and investment before diving head first into buying an oil ETF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Silly question but I'm trying to learn.

If you are going to buy Microsoft on Degiro, the only euro shares I can see are

MICROSOFT DL-,00000625A | XET | MSF | US5949181045 | EUR | 09:04:18 | 15

Is this what you are buying or are you buying Microsoft on the Nasdaq

Microsoft Corp | NDQ | MSFT | US5949181045 | USD | — | 15

I have never purchased any US shares so presumed that you had to buy the Euro versions like EFTs?

Sorry second question, what does MICROSOFT DL-,00000625A that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I have never purchased any US shares so presumed that you had to buy the Euro versions like EFTs?

Well it depends on what risk you want to take. eg: do you want to be exposed to the US currency exchange at the same time? Are the fees different? (yes)

For instance, when i search microsoft on degiro. I can buy in the US on Nasdaq, or i can buy in Euro in Frankfurt.
    I tend to buy Visa and such in US because the fees are like 69cents a transaction and the liquidity is super high so easy to move in and out.

For degiro, when i set my account up years ago, i had to fill out some forms for US share trading. Maybe you've done this already?

https://trader.degiro.nl/trader4/#/products/332111/overview
    https://trader.degiro.nl/trader4/#/products/889943/overview
    https://trader.degiro.nl/trader4/#/products/8614875/overview
    https://trader.degiro.nl/trader4/#/products/11854107/overview

Here are 4 different exchanges all selling microsoft stock on degiro for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

quick googling shows that US5949181045 is MSFT shares traded on the Vienna Stock Exchange? Double check that but many stocks trade on multiple stock exchanges. Be cautious as prices on various markets are usually different (even though you're buying the same size share of the company)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

i dont use your broker...but if buying MSFT i woukd have a dollar account so us dividends go into dollar account... and u can trqnsfer dollars to eur/gbp when you decide(depending on ex)- msft is a great stock to have in ur portfolio but personally woukd not buy it at this price... it MIGHT get cheaper..when the tide goes out with this virus

i dont think the blood is on the streets just yet...

krissovo wrote: »
    Same for me, has been since last week.

after i posted here yesterday CNBC was working perfectly all day.. but this morning is back to bad signal ..so posting here again to see if it auto fixes itself :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Long time lurker, really enjoying all the comments.

Not yet in the game... the fear is real!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im holding the bag on a few stocks, time to average the BEP down - Avis, Tripadvisor, Groupon, Aphria.

Also waiting on Ryanair/Easyjet/LVMH to fall lower before opening positions.

Feels like the January Sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You buy Microsoft on the U. S market, it's far too lightly traded anywhere else, don't be concerned with currency, it's an American company, you can't avoid currency no matter what you do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

manonboard wrote: »
    Well it depends on what risk you want to take. eg: do you want to be exposed to the US currency exchange at the same time? Are the fees different? (yes)

Thank you Manonboard, that was helpful I can now see the four different Microsoft shares on the exchanges now. I am not sure what I missed yesterday. I think I'll just use the $$ one if I am buying in so I have saved that one.

Bought some ires there a few minutes ago at 98 cent, lower than it's IPO in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Bought some ires there a few minutes ago at 98 cent, lower than it's IPO in 2014

Pray tell Maxx, what’s an ‘ire’ between friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Biffoland

You buy Microsoft on the U. S market, it's far too lightly traded anywhere else, don't be concerned with currency, it's an American company, you can't avoid currency no matter what you do

Is that a rule of thumb for American stocks? Was wondering this with DIS, but also saw WDP traded in Frankfurt. Are you saying the higher volume of trading is more advantageous than the currency risk in dollars?

Pray tell Maxx, what’s an ‘ire’ between friends?

Irish residential properties

It's a REIT

Biffoland wrote: »
    Is that a rule of thumb for American stocks? Was wondering this with DIS, but also saw WDP traded in Frankfurt. Are you saying the higher volume of trading is more advantageous than the currency risk in dollars?

You need to forget about the "currency risk"

If a company is based in the USA and reports in dollars, you are going to experience the currency exchange effect regardless

As for buying on a European exchange, with a tiny fraction of the trade volume, you will get a wider spread in terms of purchase or selling price, you don't want that

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Irish residential properties

It's a REIT

A ha, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

Both some myself at 96cents. Looking at it's portfolio, seems extensive, so happy to hold.

I predicted Boeing @$100 a little over a week ago, it's less than 10% off it today

Should have bought puts

Bought puts in apple three week ago when it briefly regained $200

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Been years since I invested directly in the marlet, and then I had an account with Davy's. What do people use these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Been years since I invested directly in the marlet, and then I had an account with Davy's. What do people use these days?

Degiro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Goldman Sachs have gone on global recession !

As if we didn’t really know there was!

Boi look like there gone ! 1.8

Goldman Sachs have gone on global recession !

As if we didn’t really know there was!

Boi look like there gone ! 1.8

How do you mean "gone"?

Such a pity our gov did not offload AIB shares when even it's directors advised it's time to do so.
    Do we (citizens) still own 71% of the bank's share?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭antimatterx

voluntary wrote: »
    Such a pity our gov did not offload AIB shares when even it's directors advised it's time to do so.
    Do we (citizens) still own 71% of the bank's share?

We should never sell. Order a dividend each year and keep the money in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Underground

TWLO good value at $75 imo. One to keep an eye on.

• Advertisement

We should never sell. Order a dividend each year and keep the money in the state.

You do realize "we" sold aib shares for 4.40 EUR per share and they cost now just over 1 EUR per share? The state lost billions by keeping these shares.

Advertisement