Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

America has gone with virus lasting 18 months with highs and lows, bit like stock market so I guess . Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

US futures not buying into European stimulus plan. TBH how is buying bonds going to help the common man.

No money can help here if people are locked in their homes, borders are closed, travel is halted, basically the world is brought to a stand still. Diluting currency by 0.5% or so isn't going to fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's not; that's why Australia's helicopter money is far smarter than the ECB enriching already wealthy companies in the hope of a trickle down - the most busted myth in BS economics.

The helicopter money idea is actually (weirdly imo, considering the political environment) taking off, even Trump is planning it in the US. Hong Kong has done it and (afaik) it's worked alright. David McWilliams has advocated it, instead of the ECB's plan, and even derided Lagarde as a clueless economist (well, she's not even a trained economist so he has a point). It's definitely preferable to the stupid tactics of trickle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

The helicopter money idea is actually (weirdly imo, considering the political environment) taking off, even Trump is planning it in the US. Hong Kong has done it and (afaik) it's worked alright. David McWilliams has advocated it, instead of the ECB's plan, and even derided Lagarde as a clueless economist (well, she's not even a trained economist so he has a point). It's definitely preferable to the stupid tactics of trickle down.

Trickle down is a busted flush , a Ponzi scheme to protect and enrich investment banks . Debateable if this is the time for helicopter money ,it may not be spent ; what is required is relief targeted at unemployment benefit, utilities, loans ,mortgages and working capital which in our case I guestimate at 50 billion for the duration of this crisis .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had an order fulfilled for 10 Shares in Dave & Busters last night - up 75% this morning.

This is a sports bar.
    Sports are banned.
    Bars are banned.

Market is not right (but good not right for me currently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

None of you had shares in Advanz Pharma Corp?

Peaked at +170% today.

They have a drug (generic at this stage) that was used in a successful Covid trial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Had an order fulfilled for 10 Shares in Dave & Busters last night - up 75% this morning.

This is a sports bar.
    Sports are banned.
    Bars are banned.

Market is not right (but good not right for me currently)

Oversold.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Am +$200 right now on last week's investment in ZM...can't believe I'm the only one mentioning it on this thread the last dozen pages or so :pac::)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ENZ up 25% today WTF

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    With potential supply issues associated with the �� outbreak, we could see a shift to 3D-Printing products.

This stock in particular is very low right now, and could potentially grow over the next few months

SSYS

anyone pick up on this when I posted 11 days ago?
    at $17.15 today

Think it was $14 ish back then

• Advertisement

Everything's so green right now it makes me fear for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

manonboard wrote: »
    Unless you have a strong idea about day trading. Avoid trying to get short term profit.

If you have money which is risk ok, and time which is medium to long. Any of the big well known companies such as Microsoft, Disney, netflix, Visa, Mastercard, Amazon are all safe buys in my opinion for long term holding.
    If you know about tech, AMD is a cool option i think.

It would be worth scanning the last few pages for big name long established companies. Those that have a proven record of recovery and you intend to keep using yourself in the future.

Im partially interested in Coco Cola. They've dropped 25%. I don't see that brand having recovery issues. They dominate their market, I dont see people cutting back on addictive sugar intake other than a short term decrease to avoid cost. They have a good dividend, and they bought Costa Coffee, which i see them as having a likely profitable future in. It's very fast growing in US, and in general is seen as a less 'Starbucksy' place (even though it entirely is!)

In general looking at shares AMD was at 10$ in 2017 and 2$ in 2015 @40$ today would there not be more downside at the moment?

It looks like every time a large central bank (being either FED or ECB or Chinese equivalent) announces some large money printing scheme, the markets go green for a day or so just to break the following session. FED's impulse boost only lasted a day, let's see how long will this one last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

voluntary wrote: »
    It's sometimes worth to take a step back and look at the big picture.

Yj9EWBc.png

Having medium strength balls you'd want to wait until at least tech index hits 5400, with strong balls you'd wait even for 3600 before going shopping.

I have been looking back on shares referenced in this thread and in general 2015 valuation looks like a reasonable expectation. This is in line with your trend lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Bought some Gilead Sciences Inc. they developed a drug for ebola which appears to work for Covid-19 too

It looks like every time a large central bank (being either FED or ECB or Chinese equivalent) announces some large money printing scheme, the markets go green for a day or so just to break the following session. FED's impulse boost only lasted a day, let's see how long will this one last.

It’s a bit like being on the titanic. You go up one flight of stairs to just get above water but you eventually it’s going down

riddles wrote: »
    In general looking at shares AMD was at 10$ in 2017 and 2$ in 2015 @40$ today would there not be more downside at the moment?

The semi industry is going to be hit hard for a while

Intel has just put a provisional 9 months delay on the Leixlip extension and with the reliant a lot on China for materials it’s not going to be positive

If they can be picked up around $22-25 I think it would be a good entry point

LRCX sub $120 would be a good one aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Early Pre market, Europe and China suggesting a green start anyway in the US. Who knows if it will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Early Pre market, Europe and China suggesting a green start anyway in the US. Who knows if it will last.

On one hand we are incredibly over sold ( short term), on the other, nobody feels comfortable holding over the weekend

afaik, the NYSE is closed today for trading room floor trading, its all being done online

should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Some coronavirus plays.

LITB which currently has masks for sale, sympathy play to NBY (also sells masks) which did 400% in the last two days.

KTOV which has a clinical-stage antibody, predicting a CV-related press release in the next week.

AYTU have CV tests which can give results in 10 minutes. Yesterday PR’d that they were expanding distribution rights for this test from just the US to also include Canada and Mexico. And they just raised $20 million (priced in, I believe).

Usual caveats, biotech/penny companies, take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Additionally, anyone who plays SPY options/turbos, I’m predicting a big green push into close tomorrow due to put writers having massive amounts more exposure than call writers, they will buy shares to push up the price into close. Can play this two ways, either wait for a drop and pick up some calls/long turbos, in and out within the day. Or wait until the bull run into close and grab some cheap puts/short turbos to hold for the inevitable worsening of the crisis over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    On one hand we are incredibly over sold ( short term), on the other, nobody feels comfortable holding over the weekend

If I see a 10% jump in my portfolio today after nearly that yesterday I'll sell everything bar long term holdings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    None of you had shares in Advanz Pharma Corp?

Peaked at +170% today.

They have a drug (generic at this stage) that was used in a successful Covid trial

Can you find them on DEGIRO? If so how :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bob Harris wrote: »
    If I see a 10% jump in my portfolio today after nearly that yesterday I'll sell everything bar long term holdings.

Long time since we had two up days in a row, be a shame to miss out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Markets rejoicing the stimulus's today:) ... yep I would definitely be not comfortable at all of holding positions over the weekend in the current climate...May be time to go short this morning as there will be selling pressure in the evening.

bought some delta @21.15 and sold at 22.25 before close...now the futures pointing to 24.90:rolleyes:

On another note, today is the third Friday of the third month in the quarter. Execution of contracts. Today funds should pull the indices to the maximum to lose (report) as little money as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Today funds should pull the indices to the maximum to lose (report) as little money as possible.

Interesting. Can you elaborate?

My limited understanding is that funds have to invest their money.... regardless of market volitility. Soo are you saying that they all do this on a particular day every quarter? and this buying will raise indices (temporarily)

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    afaik, the NYSE is closed today for trading room floor trading, its all being done online

should be interesting

Think it starts Monday. 80% was online anyway - I was surprised that wasn't higher really

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Interesting. Can you elaborate?

My limited understanding is that funds have to invest their money.... regardless of market volitility. Soo are you saying that they all do this on a particular day every quarter? and this buying will raise indices (temporarily)

Sorry, read a good article about this a while back, can't find it now, but here's some info:
    The expiration date for listed stock options in the United States is normally the third Friday of the contract month or the month that the contract expires. On months that the Friday falls on a holiday, the expiration date is on the Thursday immediately before the third Friday.
    Index options also expire on the third Friday of the month, and this is also the last trading day for American style index options. For European style index options, the last trading is typically the day before expiration.

So third Friday of the Month. And March is the last month in the quarter, so many firms will report results based on this.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/expirationdate.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hostelworld could be a great buy down the line once travel picks up again. They a big company money wise, but they have a small headcount relative to the amount of money they make.

I work for a similar irish company and we have about 60 tech employees and revenue is in the hundreds of millions. Booking sites can scale really well!

Booking.com and Expedia could be worth a look also.

Advertisement