Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Shedite27 wrote: »
    How much is Motley Fool?

I pay for MyWallSt - €80 for the year, a lot of the good stuff is free on it anyway, the Learn section was great for getting started. I've since found out that they've a premium version for €800 which seems a bit cheeky, seems to suggest they keep the best picks for themselves. I like their analysis tho, well thought out picks.

FWIW, Motley Fool had an "All in" recommendation this week, and without giving away the name, they gave quotes from an interview. I googled the quotes and turns out the pick is The Trade Desk.

The stock bumped 20% in the 2 days since they gave it, I'm suspicious that's just a load of their members picking it up though and will correct itself.

They seem to have a few different levels of access you can pay for but the entry level "Stock Advisor" feature is currently discounted to $99 for the year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I've seen an ad for their Stock Advisor and it says that their "All In" stock recommendations have an average return of 773%

Do they give "All In" recommendations or is this just cherry picking their best results?

It is neither, it's the way they construct it and it's not a realistic proposition for the average investor. But that is not to say that some of their picks are good, they are, but how well you do will depend on how you construct your portfolio based on their picks.

You are going to need 7 to 11 positions to get reasonable diversification, but what do you do after that? If you were to invest in every stock they recommend, your funds would be spread out very thinly and any bounce in a stock would have little impact on your portfolio... and if you don't invest in all their suggestions then you might miss the bounce altogether......

At the end of the day it is asset allocation, not stock picks that will be the major contributor to your portfolio's return not stock picks and that is down to you.

It's a good source for idea and education, but the rest is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I've been using Degiro for the past while for trading. I'm looking to purchase a few health care/biotechnology ETFs, liking the look of the ARK Genomic Revolution ETF and I feel that the broader pharma/health care industry may have taken a hit like all other sectors but I think it will bounce back stronger than most.

Degiro have a poor selection of ETFs. Anyone know of an alternative for low fees and easy deposits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Ekels wrote: »
    I've been using Degiro for the past while for trading. I'm looking to purchase a few health care/biotechnology ETFs, liking the look of the ARK Genomic Revolution ETF and I feel that the broader pharma/health care industry may have taken a hit like all other sectors but I think it will bounce back stronger than most.

Degiro have a poor selection of ETFs. Anyone know of an alternative for low fees and easy deposits?

Is it not because we are in the EU that Degiro has a poor selection of ETFs? We can't invest in any US ETFs

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

US futures hit the circuit breakers already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

voluntary wrote: »
    US futures hit the circuit breakers already.

A Federal Reserve Bank President talking about possibly 30% unemployment in the 2nd Q will do that.

Quick, catch those falling knives before they get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Should have dumped on Friday, every rally must be sold and Fridays was a good one in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Elliot wave and Fibonnaci sequences indicate a short bounce in s+p then a crash later next week to @2000

There is no bottom in this market, 2000 will not hold it and as the virus hits the US hard in the next couple of weeks the lows of 09 can come into view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Should have dumped on Friday, every rally must be sold and Fridays was a good one in Europe

Would you not say you should have just bought Bearish assets from the very start of this crisis because you underestimated its impact?

Sorry if I’m being a dickhead. I’m actually just trying to understand how seasoned investors like yourself would see this whole thing.

The Australian share market dropped 7.5% on opening, to the lowest levels in 8 years.

• Advertisement

One Aussie wit managed some nice black humour:
    At least there's one market open with plenty of stock on sale that isn't attracting hoarders.
    :D

There is no bottom in this market, 2000 will not hold it and as the virus hits the US hard in the next couple of weeks the lows of 09 can come into view.

A drop to 2009 would equal a drop almost as bad as the great depression

I reckon we drop to the 2007 high

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Would you not say you should have just bought Bearish assets from the very start of this crisis because you underestimated its impact?

Sorry if I’m being a dickhead. I’m actually just trying to understand how seasoned investors like yourself would see this whole thing.

I meant everything should have been sold Friday because it was the weekend arriving and two up days in a row haven't happened in weeks , i don't mean I'd have gotten out for good, today is a buying opportunity again in stocks which are fine but everything gets dumped on a morning like this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I meant everything should have been sold Friday because it was the weekend arriving and two up days in a row haven't happened in weeks , i don't mean I'd have gotten out for good, today is a buying opportunity again in stocks which are fine but everything gets dumped on a morning like this
    Theres another large intervention planned today, would wait till tomorrow before buying
    Expect today to drop small amount with large drop tomorrow. I don't have access to shorts but would like to now!

I sold my NCL shares at a profit on friday, >10% in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Australian share market dropped 7.5% on opening, to the lowest levels in 8 years.

The one Aussie stock I own didn't even drop :D Low volume ofc :p

ELM327 wrote: »
    Theres another large intervention planned today, would wait till tomorrow before buying
    Expect today to drop small amount with large drop tomorrow. I don't have access to shorts but would like to now!

I sold my NCL shares at a profit on friday, >10% in a couple of weeks.

Markets are down big this morning

Markets are down big this morning
    Futures down 3% across the board too,

THe market can stay irrational longer than you or I can stay solvent I guess :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Would you ever consider buying new bearish assets? Inverse ETFs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sitting on the wings here. Trying to get the timing right to jump in. Everything down again this morning.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

A drop to 2009 would equal a drop almost as bad as the great depression

I reckon we drop to the 2007 high

This is a vicious bear market , there are no buying opportunities until there is good news out of Italy ie a month or more , and the market has a long way to go until that happens . US stimulus may only muddy the water making it untradeable with whipsaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Italy is important but for global stock to recover US must pass through their cases peak. Europe will not recover while US is going down. This never happens.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Would you ever consider buying new bearish assets? Inverse ETFs?

No

voluntary wrote: »
    Italy is important but for global stock to recover US must pass through their cases peak. Europe will not recover while US is going down. This never happens.

The US case load is being priced in as the markets fall and there is plenty of downside , Italy is the canary in the coalmine , if the situation in Italy shows improvement the markets will see it as a bellwether .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

there's a sudden shoot up in US futures' now nearly 3% up....has the congress passed the stimulus plan?

there's a sudden shoot up in US futures' now nearly 3% up....has the congress passed the stimulus plan?
    Futures all up
    TSLA

NCLH both up now, after being down in previous pre market trading.

Something must have happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 DankeyKang

From Financial Times:

Federal Reserve makes open-ended asset purchase commitment

The Federal Reserve has committed to unlimited purchases of US Treasuries and agency mortgage-backed securities and set up additional lending tools to shore up struggling companies and financial markets.

The new moves, announced on Monday, add monetary firepower to America’s efforts to support its economy through the coronavirus pandemic.

“The Federal Reserve is committed to using its full range of tools to support households, businesses, and the US economy overall in this challenging time,” the Fed said in a statement.

“While great uncertainty remains, it has become clear that our economy will face severe disruptions. Aggressive efforts must be taken across the public and private sectors to limit the losses to jobs and incomes and to promote a swift recovery once the disruptions abate,” it said.

The Fed had originally planned to purchase at least $500bn in US Treasuries and at least $200bn in agency mortgage-backed securities. In recent days it has sped up the pace of these purchases, after earlier interventions failed to address strains that had emerged in both debt markets.

By Friday, it had already completed roughly half of its planned Treasury purchases, as well as about a third for the agency mortgage-backed securities. Following a meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee, its monetary policy setting committee, the US central bank is no longer putting a numerical cap on its purchases of Treasuries and mortgage-backed securities, instead signalling that it is prepared to act as much as necessary.

The Fed also unveiled two new facilities that allow it to purchase corporate bonds, including new issues. Another facility called TALF – revived from the 2008 financial crisis – gives the Fed the ability to buy securities backed by student, car and credit-card loans, as well as loans to businesses through the Small Business Administration. The Fed also expanded existing programmes to ease strains in the markets for municipal debt and the short-term loans known as “commercial paper.”

The Fed also said it would soon announce a “Main Street Business Lending Programme” to lend directly to small businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

2 weeks free wages for all companies impacted by Coronavirus. No idea why they think 2 weeks will do it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sorry, it was 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Some coronavirus plays.

LITB which currently has masks for sale, sympathy play to NBY (also sells masks) which did 400% in the last two days.

KTOV which has a clinical-stage antibody, predicting a CV-related press release in the next week.

AYTU have CV tests which can give results in 10 minutes. Yesterday PR’d that they were expanding distribution rights for this test from just the US to also include Canada and Mexico. And they just raised $20 million (priced in, I believe).

Very nice returns on AYTU already pre market, cheers for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Second Price Monitoring Extension

A second and final Price Monitoring Extension has been activated in this security. The auction call period is extended in this security for a further 5 minutes.

Following the first price monitoring extension this security would still have executed more than a pre-determined percentage above or below the price of the most recent automated execution today. London Stock Exchange electronic order book users have a final opportunity to review the prices and sizes of orders entered in this security prior to the auction execution.

The applicable percentage is set by reference to a security's Millennium Exchange sector. This is set out in the Sector Breakdown tab of the Parameters document at www.londonstockexchange.com/tradingservices

Anyone care to translate into English????

Advertisement