Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

FED or ECB stimulus used to boost markets for a week, then two days, then one day only, today the boost only lasted few hours pre-market. Investors realize now that no money can sort out this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

voluntary wrote: »
    FED or ECB stimulus used to boost markets for a week, then two days, then one day only, today the boost only lasted few hours pre-market. Investors realize now that no money can sort out this virus.

Sell the rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tedwardoconnor

crushproof wrote: »
    Very nice returns on AYTU already pre market, cheers for the tip!

Second that! Very pleased with the returns, making up for some losses elsewhere at the end of last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

reckon europe will be up tomorrow , FTSE futures are almost green , this decisive action by the UK government will likely inject some assurance in financial markets ( for a while anyway )

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

Newbie question... Is a huge sustained spike in price after hours generally an indication that the price will rise when the markets open? Or is it meaningless?

I've seen Aytu has gone from 1.87 to 2.13 this evening and just wondering if it means anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Newbie question... Is a huge sustained spike in price after hours generally an indication that the price will rise when the markets open? Or is it meaningless?

I've seen Aytu has gone from 1.87 to 2.13 this evening and just wondering if it means anything.

Generally meaningless. Often tops AH/PM then drops through out normal trading hours. (Not always the case obviously).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is a reason why we tell people to keep the hell away from penny stocks! You are asking about a stock with a market capitalization of a little over $54m, in an attractive sector which makes it ideal for a pump and dump exercise... the price surge could mean nothing and then again it could mean a couple of individuals are setting up a sting and you will not know it until you get shafted.

This market is going to teach some people who have got comfortable playing with penny stocks over the last fiver years or so some expensive lessons, just like past down turns did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

JMMCapital wrote: »
    I need to look more into it, any good places to start?

This is an excellent starting point to understand the proposition that bitcoin offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is a reason why we tell people to keep the hell away from penny stocks! You are asking about a stock with a market capitalization of a little over $54m, in an attractive sector which makes it ideal for a pump and dump exercise... the price surge could mean nothing and then again it could mean a couple of individuals are setting up a sting and you will not know it until you get shafted.

This market is going to teach some people who have got comfortable playing with penny stocks over the last fiver years or so some expensive lessons, just like past down turns did.

Can you teach us uneducated what a penny stock is? My education extends to the Wolf of Wall-street. So are there any real stocks worth investing in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Bitcoin up 11% on the day the fed announces unlimited printing. I know where I'd be sticking a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

I've absolutely no intention of buying shares in a company like that. I'm just looking at daily fluctuations of loads of companies to get a feel for things and thought it was odd. I hadn't really thought about it as being possibly manipulative though, so thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Its an indication, especially in pre market trading before the market opens (as opposed to the post market after hours). Generally the price when market opens will continue in the same mark. Doesnt mean it can't spike or drop instantly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Be wary of pre-market penny stock jumps.
    Often 'positive' news is released early 6.30/7 am....the PM jumps but by the time the main market opens at 9.30 the euphoria has died away as people realise the news may not be as good as first appeared.

It may shoot up though as day traders look for a stock to pump, they pour in driving up the price and jump ship with their profits leaving bag holders.

The PM is a lot less liquid so prone to big jumps on low volume. Not many trading platforms facilitate it or only after say 8am so it is not as true a reflection as the main market and I use threword 'true' loosely in relation to the main market also.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Can anyone recommend an ETF for emerging economies that can be bought on DeGiro?
    Sterling exchange rate isn't bad right now €1 = £0.93 so I'd consider sterling funds as well. I'm trying to study up on Vanguard but I'm new to ETF's.

I've absolutely no intention of buying shares in a company like that. I'm just looking at daily fluctuations of loads of companies to get a feel for things and thought it was odd. I hadn't really thought about it as being possibly manipulative though, so thanks.

Stocks traded on the kerb are always open to manipulation given their size and motivation:
    - Owners wanting to exit
    - Ventrue capitalist wanting to exit
    - The company needing to raise additional finance
    - Employees wanting to dispose of their benefits holding
    - Dealers wanting to make bit of cash no the side

And these markets present a great opportunity for it.

Unbelievable recovery, DOW nearly 8% up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Its a sucker rally, book your profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

I'd suspect its just the QE?

However having heard all the world leaders addresses yesterdays I thought the Trump presser had the best content.

The FDA approving rapid testing and drugs for treatment in record time. Meanwhile back in the EU more rhetoric about social distancing. That's great lads but what about the sick. Any plans on how to treat them? Or what about the hundreds of thousands of symptomless affected who will continue to infect unknowingly infect others?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've a feeling all the stock market needs to get a kickstart is solid plan for C19, not an eradication of C19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I'd suspect its just the QE?

However having heard all the world leaders addresses yesterdays I thought the Trump presser had the best content.

The FDA approving rapid testing and drugs for treatment in record time. Meanwhile back in the EU more rhetoric about social distancing. That's great lads but what about the sick. Any plans on how to treat them? Or what about the hundreds of thousands of symptomless affected who will continue to infect unknowingly infect others?

Trump is one of those guys who'll take credit for everything good and blame others for things which are not working....

check this article, he's more worried about his re-election and stock market than people's lives.

• Advertisement

Trump is one of those guys who'll take credit for everything good and blame others for things which are not working....

check this article, he's more worried about his re-election and stock market than people's lives.

All that might well be the case. However, it doesn't excuse the toal inaction on the EU side!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

What about all the tech companies and their huge cash piles, surely we're going to see alot that been put to use now. I find it hard to believe though we are even going to see more consolidation, maybe the regs and anti competive authoritys might hold them back to keep out of the media.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    All that might well be the case. However, it doesn't excuse the toal inaction on the EU side!

What exactly would be the point of feeding the speculator frenzy????

What is important is how they will support industry going forward, what the spectators on the market do on a daily bases is irrelevant, except to the extent you can take advantage of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

cash in today, these days are rare

What exactly would be the point of feeding the speculator frenzy????

What is important is how they will support industry going forward, what the spectators on the market do on a daily bases is irrelevant, except to the extent you can take advantage of them.

EU leaders are not talking about testing or treatments because they haven't approved anything. This is nothing about a feeding frenzy it's just a reality that the approval process isn't fit for purpose once a pandemic arrives. The wheels of innovation long trundling too slow.

Closed all remaining US based positions. Following my gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Do people think there will be red days this week and next. All stocks have gone up a lot today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fol20 wrote: »
    Do people think there will be red days this week and next. All stocks have gone up a lot today

Almost certainly. It's a case of will there be as big as today is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I know it’s against most posters sentiments here, but I took the “free money” I got last week when I confused the Zooms and came out up 200% and put it into real Zoom (on its dip today) and PayPal I’m hoping to hold these longish... so not too concerned if they dip during the week, just want something that might be worth having in a year or two, who knows though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Jesper wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an ETF for emerging economies that can be bought on DeGiro?
    Sterling exchange rate isn't bad right now €1 = £0.93 so I'd consider sterling funds as well. I'm trying to study up on Vanguard but I'm new to ETF's.

EMIM is one of the biggest and most popular. Ensure you do your own research obviously.

Advertisement