Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bitcoin up 11% on the day the fed announces unlimited printing. I know where I'd be sticking a few quid.

Christ, stay the fook away from Bitcoin. It is inherently worthless. What does it do, at the end of the day - allow you to buy and sell on the internet. A credit card does that. Charlie Munger has strong opinions on it. Look them up. ;)

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Made a few mixed choices in the past day

Sold ING @4.90 for a 10% gain yesterday, it rose 20% today, worse still i put the proceeds yesterday in Bank of Ireland which had a moribund day relative to the broader financial index in Europe

Sold Home Depot yesterday for a 4% gain , soaring today

Sold Ryanair yesterday for a 4% gain, soared today

Bought kingspan this morning, it had a good day

Opened a short position in kerry at 101, it closed at 96, will close if it fails to break below 85

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Christ, stay the fook away from Bitcoin. It is inherently worthless. What does it do, at the end of the day - allow you to buy and sell on the internet. A credit card does that. Charlie Munger has strong opinions on it. Look them up. ;)

Sold nearly everything by now. Except for crypto.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Sold ING @4.90 for a 10% gain yesterday, it rose 20% today, worse still i put the proceeds yesterday in Bank of Ireland which had a moribund day relative to the broader financial index in Europe

Opened a short position in kerry at 101, it closed at 96, will close if it fails to break below 85

Do you pay 1% stamp duty everytime you trade irish shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Took some profits on NDVA and AMD @ 245 and 45 respectively.

Made a list of 26 companies and a price I'll jump in at.

Going to review balance sheets and see how leveraged they are and decide whats a gamble and what will easily survive.

• Advertisement

voluntary wrote: »
    Do you pay 1% stamp duty everytime you trade irish shares?

Yes, been in and out of Bank of Ireland this past month and have made some money, got ING for under 4.50 a week ago, should have just kept it

Ryanair is going no lower than 8, it has held when all other airlines were catering, I'll buy back again assuming it drops back a bit

Bank of Ireland is a red headed stepchild, doesn't matter that it's safely capitalised

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Biggest point gain ever for the Dow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ah well at least the brokers did well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Might you be better off if you stuck a few hundred in to a paddy power a/c and took your chances .imo playing the markets is like playing with fire .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Great day on the markets today..... I resisted the temptation to sell a couple of my remaining holding's, big double digit rises accross the board today but would still be selling at a friggin loss :-(

Wonder what tommorow will bring ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Great day on the markets today..... I resisted the temptation to sell a couple of my remaining holding's, big double digit rises accross the board today but would still be selling at a friggin loss :-(

Wonder what tommorow will bring ???

We are going to have some more red days, I'll be lodging money in my degiro to be ready to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

heffo500 wrote: »
    We are going to have some more red days, I'll be lodging money in my degiro to be ready to pull the trigger.

Can I ask when you do that there is exposure. I know they insure the first 2500. Could someone kindly explain the MMF what it relates to and what exposure. Like the above poster I want to be ready to react. Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MAJJ wrote: »
    Can I ask when you do that there is exposure. I know they insure the first 2500. Could someone kindly explain the MMF what it relates to and what exposure. Like the above poster I want to be ready to react. Thanks

Instead of holding your money in your account as cash, they invest it in a cash fund. Unfortunately, that fund is losing money so your balance drops. If you have €2,500 or less than DeGiro will refund it. Any loss on the balance over €2,500 they will not refund. So, if you have €5,000. You will only get refunded half of the loss.

The loss is rather small. Just looking at mine it's averages out about 1c or 2c a day per €1,000 and some days it has been 0c. The past week the losses are higher for some reason, probably averaging about 3c or 4c a day per €1,000.

cute geoge wrote: »
    Might you be better off if you stuck a few hundred in to a paddy power a/c and took your chances .imo playing the markets is like playing with fire .

Of course not! Max considers all the research on timing the market to be fake news and he is kind enough to share his adventures with us on a daily basis so others may learn.

MAJJ wrote: »

Flip the question the other way around - what is the exposure to leaving a large block of cash on account with a broker? If the broker were to go bust then you would only be a general creditor and might not get much back. To avoid this many brokers sweep cash into money market products rather than leaving it sitting there. It may cost you a little, but look at it as an insurance cost.

US Senate passed the stimulus bill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Having said I was going to hold firm til this was over, I buckled and sold down on Monday. Great timing as usual

Having said I was going to hold firm til this was over, I buckled and sold down on Monday. Great timing as usual
    Think in the past month everyone's sold something they've regretted selling, and held something they've regretted holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Think in the past month everyone's sold something they've regretted selling, and held something they've regretted holding.
    That explains it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Might bail into some bank shares like citigroup. Folks on US closing bell saying they consider them cheap in the long term. Do they pay a dividend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hypothetical question: Say you made a small profit recently shorting the market and you want to take some of it off the table

eg. 30k

Whats the best place for it? Do you trust the banks? and you dont want to keep it on an exchange...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Only in the last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Where do people see the rest of the week going? FTSE is up big this morning after decent gains yesterday too. About 15% up from the lows at the moment. I think it's a bit of a dead bounce, especially as the White House press conference seemed to aim to talk unfounded confidence into markets.

'Buy the Rumor, Sell the News'.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Might bail into some bank shares like citigroup. Folks on US closing bell saying they consider them cheap in the long term. Do they pay a dividend?

If buying a U. S bank, JPMorgan is the best of breed by far

I think you’ll find they didn’t. In every crisis I have worked through in the last 35 years, the pattern is always the same, most individual investors make few changes, fund managers move to defensive positions within the restrictions of the fund rules and the yo yo speculators do what they always do.

People who know the price of everything and the value of nothing tend to make bad calls more often.

If buying a U. S bank, JPMorgan is the best of breed by far

Right because buying into a bank with a massive under provision in it’s pension fund, a weak T1 and a low dividend yield is much better than BOI after all...

You haven’t got much of record in calling them, so I’ll pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Theres some bounce today in pre market
    I already sold all except long term holdings, if I hadnt, I'd be selling today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Yep sell them all, stay in cash.. we're just a day or two away from a another sell off...check this Morgan stanley's Asset manager assessment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Hypothetical question: Say you made a small profit recently shorting the market and you want to take some of it off the table

eg. 30k

Whats the best place for it? Do you trust the banks? and you dont want to keep it on an exchange...

Put it in something like a gold or government bond based ETF?

Advertisement