Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

Hi everyone. I bought into Norwegian Cruises at 20e a share a couple of weeks. Just to see them drop like a stone to sub-8e a share. To see that they've opened today at 17+ a share. I know this is directly related to the US stimulus plan.

My feelings are that these bumps are artificial and that share prices will fall back down.

Considering all the developments with Covid, what do you guys think? Cut my losses or hold long term?

I was planning on holding long term (10+ years).
    Don't need the money that's tied up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

I always try to force myself to think like this owning a losing stock:

"Would I buy this stock today?" - if not - sell.
    That's not easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

voluntary wrote: »

That's not easy though.

I think the markets will turn red today and fall the next few so I'd be cutting losses. You got a lifeline with the stimulus, take a loss and if you insist on Norweigan you might well buy them for a nice discount soon.

voluntary wrote: »

That's not easy though.

I sold there at 17.
    A small loss,150e.
    I will jump back in when travel restrictions are over, whenever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Same share on different markets, does it make a difference which one I use?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Same share on different markets, does it make a difference which one I use?

American market usually has more volume to better prices to buy/sell. Also cheaper fees. I use US markets where it's an option

Kamu wrote: »
    I sold there at 17.
    A small loss,150e.
    I will jump back in when travel restrictions are over, whenever that may be.

You saved money already!

Bob Harris wrote: »
    You saved money already!

Got out at the right time! When I saw it drop to 7e a share, all I could do was laugh. Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Kamu wrote: »
    Got out at the right time! When I saw it drop to 7e a share, all I could do was laugh. Hahaha

Think you did the right thing. Thats a massive increase, way too big imo. I'd expect it to fall after such a big over correction. The markets are eating up money. I dont see how these money injections are going to stop anything from occuring. I understand the current growth rates of infection in the US. It's likely to be a million confirmed cases in 2 weeks.
    That leaves multiples of that infected and just not confirmed.

That a pretty big proportion of people sick/dead. I don't see many industries safe to open again soon. I certainly wouldnt be travelling any time soon, i dont think many others will either. So you did right imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

There is a possible big dogleg down in the US markets after this rally particularly as the infection rate increases and they realise that it may not be manageable , possibly looking at the mid teens on S+P or even lower as there is no strong level to hold it.

• Advertisement

There is a possible big dogleg down in the US markets after this rally particularly as the infection rate increases and they realise that it may not be manageable , possibly looking at the mid teens on S+P or even lower as there is no strong level to hold it.

Looks like it could drop down towards 2000 easily, i've closed out of nearly all US positions, either taken profit or cut losses and will have cash available if/when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Was quite happy to take the growth yesterday but wouldn't be buying at current levels unless it sticks for a week or so.

The prices last Friday were a bargain.
    The prices today look like they're built on quicksand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Very difficult to know whats going to happen next.

I am taking advantage of the run up over the last couple of days, cashing in a few positions (at a small loss)
    in the US ... can always get back in again, when the future looks more certain. (even if its at a higher price)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm waiting on the sidelines for much bigger drops in the next 12-18 months

The DJIA could drop to 10,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Was quite happy to take the growth yesterday but wouldn't be buying at current levels unless it sticks for a week or so.

The prices last Friday were a bargain.
    The prices today look like they're built on quicksand.

yep, Boeing has gone from 90's to 160 today and all theAirlines/cruise/Energy stocks up nearly 50% in the last couple of days...as many of you's already noted, time to cut short losses or book profits and keep the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Christ, stay the fook away from Bitcoin. It is inherently worthless. What does it do, at the end of the day - allow you to buy and sell on the internet. A credit card does that. Charlie Munger has strong opinions on it. Look them up. ;)

You've missunderstood the proposition provided by bitcoin. You can't not respect the Oracle of Omaha and his side-kick but by their own admission they got it wrong on tech stocks.

If it was 'inherently worthless', it would have capitulated a long, long time ago.

It's hard money that doesn't have a lender of last resort ( QE Infinity anyone?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

You've missunderstood the proposition provided by bitcoin. You can't not respect the Oracle of Omaha and his side-kick but by their own admission they got it wrong on tech stocks.

If it was 'inherently worthless', it would have capitulated a long, long time ago.

It's hard money that doesn't have a lender of last resort ( QE Infinity anyone?).

Bitcoin may have a future if this crisis leads to a dollar collapse , now the Chinese would like the Yuan to take that place but if Bitcoin could stabilize and there are signs that it is tracking the indices , then it could have an important role is a new world order

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There are 1,658 different types of cryptocurrencies. :rolleyes: You could start your own, if you like. In fact, everyone could start one.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Zoom technologies up over 25% again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Zoom technologies up over 25% again lol

They were 35 bucks on Friday. Now 10 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    They were 35 bucks on Friday. Now 10 :pac:

Very low volumes maybe someone is trying to pump em and dupe others in, doesn’t look like anyone’s biting.

From what I can tell their Market Cap is $324

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted though, bought these last week (in error) for 9.1 and sold on Friday for 31. Could lightning strike twice?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Except that is not what they said, so go back now an read it again.

There is a lot of stuff out there that is worthless and survives for generations...

Read up on the gold standard....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Jim2007 wrote: »

There is a lot of stuff out there that is worthless and survives for generations...

What countries employ a gold standard? It' a historical quirk. The US ended it almost half a century ago. Current money supply is not gold backed, if that was what you implied, it's value is abased on empty promises and fiction.

There are 1,658 different types of cryptocurrencies. :rolleyes: You could start your own, if you like. In fact, everyone could start one.

You're making my point for me. You've totally misunderstood. Firstly there are many cryptos and whilst some pursue the same aims, those objectives differ considerably. Within the ones that have forked away from Bitcoin, they've failed. This notion that multiple cryptos dilute the potency of bitcoin is a fallacy. All cryptos are not equal. You can create your own tomorrow, sure. If it doesn't bring something tangible to the party then it's unlikely to go anywhere.

It's you that needs to go back and read because my post addressed his...it's as simple as that.

You're referring to FIAT money because sooner or later it fails.
    I'm familiar with the gold standard. What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wonder if the unemployment numbers tomorrow will be another -20% day? 2 trillion + unlimited printing not exactly setting the world on fire today.

Thargor wrote: »
    Wonder if the unemployment numbers tomorrow will be another -20% day? 2 trillion + unlimited printing not exactly setting the world on fire today.

The S&P had a weak close probably in anticipation of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Thargor wrote: »

I tried ringing the AIB two days ago to close an account because of their recent fee safari. I was kept on hold for 30 min before I hung up. I found an email address for the branch and complained about them keeping me on hold for €10.21 and asked to close the account. I received a phone call the next day and got a snooty reply about 150,000 people loosing their jobs and inundating them with calls. Then I was told I would have to put my request in writing on paper and post it to them. Another €1 for postage right there - oh yes, and since there was €4.90 in accumulated fees that I couldn't see, could I please un zero my account and put €4.90 back for them to scoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Trump up shortly

Don’t think anyone is going to be holding any hot potatoes over night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'm waiting on the sidelines for much bigger drops in the next 12-18 months

The DJIA could drop to 10,000

just about anything could happen , im now happy with my nine stock portfolio and will stick to options trading in terms of guessing market movements , its only playing with a few hundred here and there while remaining fully invested in physical shares

you could be very right of course , nothing wrong with making a call , everyone has to , beit holding tight or getting out ( until the time is right )

Advertisement