Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

RiseAbove4 wrote: »

Zoom
    and Netflix

Have they jumped up too much already for decent growth over the next 12 months? Or is there still serious potential there?

Cheers

From listening to Pivot,
    , they thought that Zoom was overvalued before covid and they advised everyone who owned shares to sell them...so I don't think there is much potential now. Worth a listen to the podcast if you are thinking of buying zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Yes the stimulus is a factor but there has been a lot of stimulus for a few weeks , this is the big bazooka all right but it can run out of steam and I am going short mid to late next week if I can find an entry point that doesn't burn me up.

you must be minting today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

I’m taking some Vontobel S&P short contracts into the weekend. No way the cases in the US don’t spiral by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Skelet0n wrote: »
    I’m taking some Vontobel S&P short contracts into the weekend. No way the cases in the US don’t spiral by Monday.

Do you have any resources you recommend on how to use them. I had a look an degiro but I don't have much of a clue about them so need to do a bit of reading before I experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Tilray at up 20% already today

Yeah. I have some at 5.19 but should have been in sub 3. I was too greedy waiting for sub 2...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Link below is a youtuber from a month ago telling followers about his investment in Carnival Cruises. Interesting to watch given the current reality.

https://youtu.be/4-jM9P5teEY

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Yes

AFAIK yu cant short US stocks. I'm on Trader account and I coudnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Link below is a youtuber from a month ago telling followers about his investment in Carnival Cruises. Interesting to watch given the current reality.

I don’t really look for dividends, at the tax rate it’s not worth it, if you’re retired I can see why they’d be attractive.

Also I’m not touching cruises for a while. Take his point about barriers to entry for new companies, but he ignores that people have alternative holiday types. Stories like the one in Panama where people are dying onboard and not being allowed to rock are horrifying
    https://www.businessinsider.com/holland-america-zaandam-cruise-ship-blocked-panama-canal-covid-19-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭antimatterx

If you're paying tax you're making money? So it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I don’t really look for dividends, at the tax rate it’s not worth it, if you’re retired I can see why they’d be attractive.

Also I’m not touching cruises for a while. Take his point about barriers to entry for new companies, but he ignores that people have alternative holiday types. Stories like the one in Panama where people are dying onboard and not being allowed to rock are horrifying
    https://www.businessinsider.com/holland-america-zaandam-cruise-ship-blocked-panama-canal-covid-19-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

I think the cruise industry has been badly (maybe irreparably) damaged. The people who go on cruises are pretty consevative types and will have seen the scary stories of people trapped on ships. Very hard to see share prices coming back to anything like peak levels again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I’d prefer the companies I’m investing in to reinvest In the business to help grow the share price rather than give half the money to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

I don’t really look for dividends

Same here. I avoid dividend paying stocks or cash out pre-dividend cut off dates and sometimes buy after the cut-off. Dividend tax is tough for Irish tax residents.

Not really. The share price is in most cases reduced by the dividend paid out. If you buy stock pre large dividend, take the dividend and sell after, you're most likely losing money by paying large tax on zero gain.

I’d prefer the companies I’m investing in to reinvest In the business to help grow the share price rather than give half the money to the government.

Americans love dividends, many Europeans love dividends because they pay little taxes on them. Irish tax residents (private) are punished for receiving dividends.

Share buybacks are a good alternative to dividends and there's no tax applied for share holders (apart from potential capital gain tax on disposal)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is there not some exception for capital gains tax?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Why not use a spread bet account? That way you can avoid cap gains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Why not use a spread bet account? That way you can avoid cap gains

Can anyone recommend a good Spread betting platform ? I have used them before (Spreadco) but find their offering very basic for trading .

Can anyone recommend a good Spread betting platform ? I have used them before (Spreadco) but find their offering very basic for trading .

IG is the best platform out there. Slightly more expensive but everything has a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm messing around with an ig demo spread betting account here, and the minimum leverage seems crazy, I took out a short on tesla of 0.76$ when it was priced 507$ and I'm down 635$ after it increased to 515$, I'm working out that that's the equivalent of me shorting 80 tesla shares or 40k worth lol??

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm messing around with an ig demo spread betting account here, and the minimum leverage seems crazy, I took out a short on tesla of 0.76$ when it was priced 507$ and I'm down 635$ after it increased to 515$, I'm working out that that's the equivalent of me shorting 80 tesla shares or 40k worth lol??

Did you not work out the trade first? I'm just checking there and the minimum position you can take out is 0.06 of a lot. That would be alot lower than what you have?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Bob Harris wrote: »

Sorry but this guy is just a BS artist, making his living of subscriptions nothing else... unfortunately a lot of people are going to learn this the hard way.

If you are going to rely on any of theses types, make sure they have at least a Series 7... and be particularly wary of anyone with their 'own portfolio', it shouts scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tommy35

Evening all. What is the best free investing podcast around? So much investing info around it would be great to use my time wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Sorry but this guy is just a BS artist, making his living of subscriptions nothing else... unfortunately a lot of people are going to learn this the hard way.

If you are going to rely on any of theses types, make sure they have at least a Series 7... and be particularly wary of anyone with their 'own portfolio', it shouts scam!

I was thinking the same Jim, if he has 80k to invest in Carnival and god knows how much elsewhere then wtf would he be youtubing about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

Hey I’d like some recommendations as to what platform to use. I’ve tried Plus500, but not mad about it. With Plus500 if my shares drop in value, I have to pump more money in to cover my “margin?” I’d like something that’s less stressful to use, that doesn’t require a margin to be covered. Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Hey I’d like some recommendations as to what platform to use. I’ve tried Plus500, but not mad about it. With Plus500 if my shares drop in value, I have to pump more money in to cover my “margin?” I’d like something that’s less stressful to use, that doesn’t require a margin to be covered. Thanks for your help.

Plus 500 is not a broker, it's margin trading CFD's.

Download Degiro. You own the actual stocks there.

Plus 500 is not a broker, it's margin trading CFD's.

Download Degiro. You own the actual stocks there.

Thanks a lot, will do that.

Friday was a shocker of a day, will Monday be just as bad? Need the Donald to tweet his little arse off tomorrow/ Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Thought most of us here have been expecting sell-off and were surprised by the rallies, would say we'll probably see couple more sell-off's and touch Monday's lows.

Thought most of us here have been expecting sell-off and were surprised by the rallies, would say we'll probably see couple more sell-off's and touch Monday's lows.

Yeah you are probably right that most predicted losses on Friday. There is very little good news on the horizon for this week. The stimulus package in the states will be forgotten quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd guess that next week will be brutal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement