Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

My learning experience has been....
    1. MyWallStreet Learn App
    2. Read Beating Wall Street by Peter Lynch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I'm a fairly inexperienced trader so I'm trying to educate myself by reading blogs, if you think there is a better way then maybe you could offer some help instead of trying to make fun of me

Make a list of traders who have been successful over the long term. The back of a cigarette packet should provide you with more than enough space. And then if you have any sense you’ll stay an inexperienced trader...

The only people who are successful at trading are the pick and shovel sellers.

What has worked in investing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Thanks, when I say trader I mean more long term fundamentals than day trading

What's your opinion on those blogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

CNBC and r/wallstreetbets are great for anyone learning to invest.such a wealth of information on there.We are so lucky to have them.

Absolutely not, avoid them both. CNBC is for sheep all they do is create “noise” in my opinion and r/wallstreetbets is nothing but gambling no solid investment advice from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Absolutely not, avoid them both CNBC is for sheep all they do is create “noise” in my opinion and r/wallstreetbets is nothing but gambling no solid investment advice from there.

So where would you go to learn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any books that people would recommend? I've read a few of the dummy investing books already.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

r/wallstreetbets is pretty funny though :D

it's an absolute pisstake though so do not take anything posted there seriously

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Make a list of traders who have been successful over the long term. The back of a cigarette packet should provide you with more than enough space. And then if you have any sense you’ll stay an inexperienced trader...

The only people who are successful at trading are the pick and shovel sellers.

What has worked in investing

So you don’t trade?

So where would you go to learn?

Academic Books and journals. I’d start with macroeconomics/maybe micro then some accounting/finance

some of the investing books from Graham,Buffett,Lynch,klarnan,Fisher,Soros,Rogers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ya, haven't seen him on CNBC and yes he does look like a bit of a twat but their blogs and youtube videos are usually good

I occasionally watch fast money half time report and find him the best of them, don't remember him pumping any particular company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Hate him or not what you will learn from this video series pretty much covers everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdZWGCZPjTU&list=PL7qCsic6fXxQWFP4r00AiSPOv1CRqmnTI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

When you are an investor in a company where the COO has fabricated the revenue figure, you get the hell out of there as fast as you can. Because you have absolutely no idea of what else might be going on.

The stock may never trade again, it might trade for a few weeks when another investigation is opened etc.... it might go on even longer until the next investigation is opened etc...

Probably a whole bunch of people who wish they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

What are the odds that luckin coffee will trade again. Took a punt of 50e so just wondering what ye think.

Fol20 wrote: »
    What are the odds that luckin coffee will trade again. Took a punt of 50e so just wondering what ye think.

Even if so, the stock is going to zero you don't come back from this.

So you don’t trade?

Why would I spend time and risk capital on something that does not work?

But I have sold the picks and shovels....

Why would I spend time and risk capital on something that does not work?

But I have sold the picks and shovels....

Why do you partake in this thread?

Fol20 wrote: »

I did the same, there's a class action lawsuit between shareholders (those who purchased at the high price) against the CFO, I'd imagine there'll be no trading until that's resolved anyway
    https://www.safirsteinmetcalf.com/luckin/

Why do you partake in this thread?

So that at least the odd person will realize the amount of utter nonsense that goes on and possibly save themselves a bit of money in the process.

Trading is just a sophisticated sounding method of gambling nothing more. You’ve got all these people studying graphs and charts and trying to making insightful comments on the market this and that.... while ignoring one simple statistic - there are no hordes of wealthy traders out there, just like there are no hordes of wealthy gamblers out there.

And nobody should be surprised about this, if you try to predict human behavior in a given economic situation without modeling either in your equation you should not be surprised if it does not go very well.

If trading was such a successful method of generating wealth, why do you think financial institutions trade so little on their own account and spend their time trying to sell you services instead?

So that at least the odd person will realize the amount of utter nonsense that goes on and possibly save themselves a bit of money in the process.

Trading is just a sophisticated sounding method of gambling nothing more. You’ve got all these people studying graphs and charts and trying to making insightful comments on the market this and that.... while ignoring one simple statistic - there are no hordes of wealthy traders out there, just like there are no hordes of wealthy gamblers out there.

And nobody should be surprised about this, if you try to predict human behavior in a given economic situation without modeling either in your equation you should not be surprised if it does not go very well.

If trading was such a successful method of generating wealth, why do you think financial institutions trade so little on their own account and spend their time trying to sell you services instead?

What is your view of something like the turtle project?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

For others, it sounds very interesting and a lot like Trading places.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/turtle.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Even if so, the stock is going to zero you don't come back from this.

Other companies have falsified info on their books and are still trading. It might be a long one but hopefully in 5 years. It’s back up a little.

I’m also hoping that China might step in and try and protect it in some form of nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Anyone have a view on Tullow Oil?

Thinking about a small buy, in the hundreds.

On CNBC, while I understand that their anchors are obviously in the business of drumming up ratings by talking up Bull/Bears, do people feel their contributors aren't giving good advice on air?

People like Bill Ackman, Mark Cuban, El-Erian etc? I even think the likes of Michael Santoli are quite level headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

So as of this moment you are down $50 a share on $TSLA, are you still holding out?

hobie21 wrote: »
    I'll summerise the points.

1. Recession. Fewer customers buying cars (esp Chinese market 50% drop already)

2. The truck. What an ugly machine.
    3. Cash burn, new factories in early stages in Germany China.
    4. P/E of 50.

Plan is short at 570 and get out at 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Shedite27 wrote: »
    On CNBC, while I understand that their anchors are obviously in the business of drumming up ratings by talking up Bull/Bears, do people feel their contributors aren't giving good advice on air?

People like Bill Ackman, Mark Cuban, El-Erian etc? I even think the likes of Michael Santoli are quite level headed.
    They're even worse. Take Bill Ackman's behavior recently.

Absolute tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

XMG wrote: »
    So as of this moment you are down $50 a share on $TSLA, are you still holding out?

Havn't done it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Havn't done it yet

Just more to short now all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hi Bob, I'm going to short TSLA. Why do you think I was dissuaded?

I know timing is everything, especially when shorting stocks but I just think the time is right.
    Well I guess that is not working out well for you

FYI this is the worst time to short TSLA, stock is rising as there is 13.5% of TSLA shares currently shorted and traders are looking to keep their position open till after earnings call at end of April

Good Q1 delivery numbers achieved and a good earnings call in prospect. This is a time to buy, not to short. Remember that trading 101 comment I made? Well this is Trading 102. Know Your Equity

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

ELM327 wrote: »

FYI this is the worst time to short TSLA, stock is rising as there is 13.5% of TSLA shares currently shorted and traders are looking to keep their position open till after earnings call at end of April

Good Q1 delivery numbers achieved and a good earnings call in prospect. This is a time to buy, not to short. Remember that trading 101 comment I made? Well this is Trading 102. Know Your Equity

I have "not" shorted TSLA.

• Advertisement

Two weeks ago .......
    TSLA is still overvalued.
    It is 250-300 usd (over 100%) over what it was in December - on a realistic PE number.
    I sold at ~900 and will buy back in when it drops to around 350. Anyone who "likes" TSLA at 514 USD current price is a madman.

And I have a Tesla :D

Advertisement