Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Imagine if Zinedine Zidane spent his days now going around parks watching eight year olds kicking a ball around and yelled insults about how crap they are while also telling them he spent years in the top flights ?

That's our Jim

I think Jim despite his bluntness is alright but that got a laugh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Imagine if Zinedine Zidane spent his days now going around parks watching eight year olds kicking a ball around and yelled insults about how crap they are while also telling them he spent years in the top flights ?

That's our Jim

the thing is, zidane wouldn't waste his time with 8 year olds. he wants to work with the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the thing is, zidane wouldn't waste his time with 8 year olds. he wants to work with the best.

Maybe Jim was only vauxhall conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Touché

ah, only messing :pac:

i can see both POV's, and thats the extent of my input in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ah, only messing :pac:

i can see both POV's, and thats the extent of my input in that.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

I still like KTOV, they have a clinical-stage monoclonal antibody which Fauci in the US has been talking about possibly being effective against CV (the general idea of monoclonal antibody therapy rather than KTOV's one specifically).

Passover (it's an Israeli company) is finished today, could see a CV pump PR out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Skelet0n wrote: »
    I still like KTOV, they have a clinical-stage monoclonal antibody which Fauci in the US has been talking about possibly being effective against CV (the general idea of monoclonal antibody therapy rather than KTOV's one specifically).

Passover (it's an Israeli company) is finished today, could see a CV pump PR out of them.

Pluristem needs research given your train of thought up 300% in the last few weeks. Only 100% successful corona virus treatment. Just started treating people in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Pluristem needs research given your train of thought up 300% in the last few weeks. Only 100% successful corona virus treatment. Just started treating people in the US.

My train of thought is it's more profitable to get in before the PR rather than after.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Pot/kettle black. Surely a wind up at this stage.

I have pointed out the issues in the banking sector a few times now. You sent your time listening to noise rather that digging into the issues that is your problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That's our Jim

I retired at 54 and I only ever invested in deep value, hard, boring work, but profitable.... you are the court jester, just a source of amusement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Skelet0n wrote: »
    My train of thought is it's more profitable to get in before the PR rather than after.

The trains only leaving the station. They've PRd treatment of 8 people thus far, scope for few more. Their main indication to date has been critical limb ischemia with a 6B unmet market need. Anyways, I understand your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I retired at 54 and I only ever invested in deep value, hard, boring work, but profitable.... you are the court jester, just a source of amusement...

So where would you suggest someone starts if they want to be profitable? What should they study?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

So where would you suggest someone starts if they want to be profitable? What should they study?

Yeah, a few suggestions would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Go on Youtube and look at every video on Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger. A good starting point. They always make sense to me.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Hey has anyone ever heard of Verastem :pac: ?

Just kidding, anyhow they're back up again and wondering if I should dump... I'm just down 3%. I'm looking for proper news but keep getting click bait noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Peter Lynch and the Berkshire lads.

Don't trade.

Don't invest your debt.

Invest in products and areas you understand and ones that generate value in a market where there are big barriers to entry and/or little/weak competition.

Follow those rules and you'll generate a nice yearly return from 4-8%.

As an FYI I don't follow the above rules because I'm young and stupidly think I can find an undervalued penny stock that will double or triple my money over the course of a few months but if I had a large sum of money in the 50k plus range I'd probably follow the steps above .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Anyone got any thoughts in Oil stocks or perhaps able to provide some tickers?

I’m guessing they’ll drop further but also guessing it won’t be too long before Oil is in demand again.

Just a noob here so thinking of throwing a few hundred bucks on a “decent” Oil stock and seeing what happens in the next 6 months.

Anyone got any thoughts in Oil stocks or perhaps able to provide some tickers?

I’m guessing they’ll drop further but also guessing it won’t be too long before Oil is in demand again.

Just a noob here so thinking of throwing a few hundred bucks on a “decent” Oil stock and seeing what happens in the next 6 months.

On the subject of oil. Would now not seem a good time to go long the commodity. Can't see it going much lower than this. And even if it does, surely the long term forecast has to be upwards. So many things cost depends on oil, it would seem like a great hedge too if it does start getting more expensive. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Treppen wrote: »
    Hey has anyone ever heard of Verastem :pac: ?

Just kidding, anyhow they're back up again and wondering if I should dump... I'm just down 3%. I'm looking for proper news but keep getting click bait noise.

I know all about them....I was in them from summer 2018 when they were up near $10....went all the way to under $1 after FDA approval. I averaged down all the way...must have bought 7/8 times, had about 1500 shares. I had averaged down to about $2.50 about 6 weeks ago or so when they jumped and sold for somewhere around $2.70 as they were a far too big a part of my portfolio.
    Back in the last couple of weeks from $2.35 I think they have a lot of upside potential and a lot of potential catalysts that people are taking notice of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

On the subject of oil. Would now not seem a good time to go long the commodity. Can't see it going much lower than this. And even if it does, surely the long term forecast has to be upwards. So many things cost depends on oil, it would seem like a great hedge too if it does start getting more expensive. Thoughts?

No doubt it will but the key factor here is opportunity cost, it could be another year or two before Oil fully recovers.

Do you want your money tied up in oil or ride the S&P wave?

• Advertisement

Yep that’s what I’m thinking and that’s why I’m asking?

I have North American trading account so don’t have the same options as the LSE for instance, but being a noob I don’t really know the technicalities of how many stocks are structured so am really just looking for a ticket or two that tend to mirror (track?) the price of a barrel of crude.

Hope that makes sense? Any suggested tickers/stocks I might be able to take a look at?

Kilboor wrote: »
    No doubt it will but the key factor here is opportunity cost, it could be another year or two before Oil fully recovers.

Well i kinda want to do both, lol

Yep that’s what I’m thinking and that’s why I’m asking?

I have North American trading account so don’t have the same options as the LSE for instance, but being a noob I don’t really know the technicalities of how many stocks are structured so am really just looking for a ticket or two that tend to mirror (track?) the price of a barrel of crude.

Hope that makes sense? Any suggested tickers/stocks I might be able to take a look at?

Never mind the question, since picked up a few Exxon Mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Seen JD.com mentioned on here in the past - current valuation seems very lofty relative to earnings and other metrics. People still holding or taking profits at this stage?

Browney7 wrote: »
    Seen JD.com mentioned on here in the past - current valuation seems very lofty relative to earnings and other metrics. People still holding or taking profits at this stage?

I have taken profits for now. Have done really well out of JD and BABA

But only cause I lost my nerve. i would prefer to still be in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

A general rule of thumb with commodities during a recession is they will lag the normal markets in a recovery, because companies who are using that commodity generally only start buying it again when they are using it, whereas the normal markets will recover sooner based on speculation. So yes this is the big problem, you don't want your money all tied up in a commodity that is flat lining for the next like 2 years, where instead you could be generating a much better return elsewhere.

I did however make afew quick on an oil short across the last week, based on this opec+ deal not making enough of an effect against the demand drop, I took my profit today, its not the sort of thing I'd want to be holding onto any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I have taken profits for now. Have done really well out of JD and BABA

But only cause I lost my nerve. i would prefer to still be in

JD whipsawing around like crazy, I'd more say fair play for getting out at your tidy profit, and forget about trying to time the highs and lows perfectly.

Timmaay wrote: »
    A general rule of thumb with commodities during a recession is they will lag the normal markets in a recovery, because companies who are using that commodity generally only start buying it again when they are using it, whereas the normal markets will recover sooner based on speculation. So yes this is the big problem, you don't want your money all tied up in a commodity that is flat lining for the next like 2 years, where instead you could be generating a much better return elsewhere.

I did however make afew quick on an oil short across the last week, based on this opec+ deal not making enough of an effect against the demand drop, I took my profit today, its not the sort of thing I'd want to be holding onto any longer.

Could use an oil share such as Tullow as a proxy? That would react faster than commodity price?

Timmaay wrote: »
    JD whipsawing around like crazy, I'd more say fair play for getting out at your tidy profit, and forget about trying to time the highs and lows perfectly.

In there since 20 so did well. But was hoping to keep forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Plus even if someone goes into it for the long run, my understanding is that there is a fairly high carry cost for financial products tracking the price of oil. I’m not sure what the exact figures are but unless I am mistaken you really would want to expect prices to go to the roof to cover that cost for a long period and make a nice profit.

Big oil companies can be interesting though.

Advertisement