Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Could use an oil share such as Tullow as a proxy? That would react faster than commodity price?

Had been considering Tullow, but the reaction of its share price to the resignation of the CEO a few months back just seemed a really drastic and odd to me so not having any real experience or knowledge decided against it, and went with Exxon instead - but sure who knows what might happen, Exxon could be half the price in a couple weeks time, just wanted to throw a few hundred at it now and leave it sit there come what may. Hopefully in a couple years it’ll have paid off, but if not, no major loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Halaleuih...magic potion found :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Halaleuih...magic potion found :)

??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

??

Big jump on s&p futures

Big jump on s&p futures

Based on trump saying the economy will start reopening, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Was anything new announced? It seems like he said that it would be up to governors to decide when to reopen...which was already the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Was anything new announced? It seems like he said that it would be up to governors to decide when to reopen...which was already the case.

Apparently the early sets of results from a test group in Chicago of 125 patients treated with remdisivir are very promising though I understand there are still many other locations it’s being trialled and so presumably many more test results to come. However it’s still a very positive sign and obviously creates a much better atmosphere today than for instance had they concluded it had no discernible positive effect.

According to the vague reports I could find online it says of 125 patients tested of which 118 were severe most of them were discharged within a week and only 2 died.

Also presumably the announcement of a plan to reopen the US is seen as a positive step.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

And my Gilead shares finally get their jump. Was beginning to lose faith in them

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

Shedite27 wrote: »
    And my Gilead shares finally get their jump. Was beginning to lose faith in them

They’ll go through the roof later today.

??

As Littlemac said, trial of Remdesivir (Gilead sciences medicine) was succesful in a hospital and Dow futures jumped nearly 800 points on that news Afterhours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The ar$e has fallen out of oil. $18.33/barrel right now
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CL=F?p=CL=F

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I know all about them....I was in them from summer 2018 when they were up near $10....went all the way to under $1 after FDA approval. I averaged down all the way...must have bought 7/8 times, had about 1500 shares. I had averaged down to about $2.50 about 6 weeks ago or so when they jumped and sold for somewhere around $2.70 as they were a far too big a part of my portfolio.
    Back in the last couple of weeks from $2.35 I think they have a lot of upside potential and a lot of potential catalysts that people are taking notice of now.

Cheers Bob I remember they were a role coaster along with Viking (I'm still holding that too).

So you think maybe they've a bit to go yet?

Wow, have been looking at the markets this morning and everything is up!
    Pity I've already done most profit taking this week and only have some NCLH left, a couple hundred stocks only. I'll probably look to sell those today too. I hate having cash in my investment account but in these times you gotta take the profit on the up days/weeks and buy in at the low.

So where do people think markets are headed now? Still down eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Treppen wrote: »
    Cheers Bob I remember they were a role coaster along with Viking (I'm still holding that too).

They have a a lot of trials going on combining their drugs with others and their FDA approved Coptrika will adding more to revenues. Plenty of potential upside so I'm optimistic but like most companies in this sector it's more in hope than conviction. I still have a few Viking too - another one I'm optimistic about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

giphy.gif

My outlook is:

Volatile daily
    Medium term (6month-1year) down
    long term (2 years+) up

And this is why I profit take on significant up days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Same people been saying that on the forum for the past month, it'll happen eventually but I've been happy to fill my boots while it's running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Treppen wrote: »

Yep, if there is a rollercoaster called the "Crash & Burn"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

What do you think about shares in GE? Dropped considerably the past few years and down to the 6.2 mark now, anyone feel there is long term value there?

• Advertisement

GE - have been on a downward spiral for years now...and other day they were downgraded by JP Morgan....better look at other names

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

hunter164 wrote: »
    What do you think about shares in GE? Dropped considerably the past few years and down to the 6.2 mark now, anyone feel there is long term value there?

Long term I'd say so, the dividend being cut to nothing doesn't help.
    Here's what this chap has to say...

https://www.barrons.com/articles/ge-stock-valye-trap-aviation-aerospace-airlines-jet-engine-servicing-backlog-51586895891

I'll echo what ELM said, till year-end markets will be very volatile.
    S&P might not touch March lows again, however there's some sectors which are down 70-80% specially Energy, Metals and travel related. If anyone's looking for value.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

What's the best way to go long on oil with degiro? ETFs on LSE?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Wow, have been looking at the markets this morning and everything is up!
    Pity I've already done most profit taking this week and only have some NCLH left, a couple hundred stocks only. I'll probably look to sell those today too. I hate having cash in my investment account but in these times you gotta take the profit on the up days/weeks and buy in at the low.

I took a punt yesterday and bought Aim, delta and Southwest :D

voluntary wrote: »

Depends on your risk appetite and the work you want to put in.

Depends on your risk appetite and the work you want to put in.

Would London Stock Exchange be the most efficient in regards to costs and liquidity for Irish residents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

voluntary wrote: »

Oil is likely to go down more,
    Everyone's on lockdown till May
    Everyone is still pumping like nutso
    Deal doesn't start till May and even then they'll cheat
    You might even see WTI at $9 it's low from '98

You wanna go long, buy some call options for Weatherford, they've already gone through Chapter 11
    were always a solid company but have now shed their
    bad debts.

Not asking what to buy this time but how to buy and where :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

99nsr125 wrote: »
    You wanna go long, buy some call options for Weatherford, they've already gone through Chapter 11
    were always a solid company but have now shed their
    bad debts.

Interesting find. Their balance sheet looks decent now after the bankruptcy.
    That said, sooo much resentment likely in their prior shareholders. wow. That must of hurt.

Oil services likely to recover, but im curious/cautious on oil exploration given the ridiculous supplies atm.. Even if lots of places stop producing until price recovery.. There was sooo much oil coming from the US recently. Absurd levels of increase over the last 5 years.

Advertisement