Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Judging by the stockmarket today, lockdown is nearing an end.

Peleton, Amazon, Slack and Netflix down
    HostelWorld, Disney, Airlines, Starbucks, Cinemas up

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Judging by the stockmarket today, lockdown is nearing an end.

Peleton, Amazon, Slack and Netflix down
    HostelWorld, Disney, Airlines, Starbucks, Cinemas up

The stock market and the economy are two totally different things.
    lockdown will continue for much longer, specially if a second wave occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Hi Guys.
    I have been interested in stocks and shares for a very long time. Can anyone recommend the best platform to trade on for a first time person. Also appreciate any information on online courses etc.
    Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

manonboard wrote: »
    Interesting find. Their balance sheet looks decent now after the bankruptcy.
    That said, sooo much resentment likely in their prior shareholders. wow. That must of hurt.

Oil services likely to recover, but im curious/cautious on oil exploration given the ridiculous supplies atm.. Even if lots of places stop producing until price recovery.. There was sooo much oil coming from the US recently. Absurd levels of increase over the last 5 years.

I got off a conf call this morning and one of the guys side of the business is with the off shore rigs in the North Sea

They are contemplating a lot of them will shut down and for a while and in some cases, its that expensive to start them up again, they might not even bother

US is in a different situation with theirs as majority are on shore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Oil is likely to go down more,
    Everyone's on lockdown till May
    Everyone is still pumping like nutso
    Deal doesn't start till May and even then they'll cheat
    You might even see WTI at $9 it's low from '98

You wanna go long, buy some call options for Weatherford, they've already gone through Chapter 11
    were always a solid company but have now shed their
    bad debts.

Sorry I closed my oil short yday now ha, I'm actually definitely guilty of not letting my winners run on but holding onto losers too bloody long ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

00benski wrote: »
    Hi Guys.
    I have been interested in stocks and shares for a very long time. Can anyone recommend the best platform to trade on for a first time person. Also appreciate any information on online courses etc.
    Thank you in advance.

Before you set yourself up on a platform read up plenty. Do a simulation see how you get on. Pick shares you rationally think will do well, throw a dart at the paper and track those. See who does better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Before you set yourself up on a platform read up plenty. Do a simulation see how you get on. Pick shares you rationally think will do well, throw a dart at the paper and track those. See who does better.

That’s a great idea! Too late for me now, I’ve my toes wet already!

How sickened would you be if your hypothetical picks jumped 50% or so though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fitbit has gone very quiet recently. Bear in mind that Alphabet has agreed to buy them at $7.35 a share. Currently at $6.73 so a 9% immediate return when the deal completes.

The complication has always been “will the regulators allow google purchase a company with access to health records. If they’re currently looking at allowing Google/Apple to help track people’s health with the Covid-19 app, you can’t imagine adding Fitbit is gonna be a deal breaker.

Added to that, Fitbits share price has been rising from $6 to $6.70 suggests the market thinks it’s gonna close soon too.

And finally, Fitbit launches a new wearable last week with built in GPS (their first), Spotify and a bunch of other things that looks ready to compete with Apple.

It’s an easy 10% if anyone thinks the market is gonna crash.

Bob Harris wrote: »

Thank you for your reply. Can you recommend any online stuff that I can track picks that I make. Or even trade with play money for the moment.

GameStop continuing to tank today, down 5% approx right now and down 25% from its high of 6 earlier in the week when the announcement about Michael Burry increasing holding was released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

GameStop continuing to tank today, down 5% approx right now and down 25% from its high of 6 earlier in the week when the announcement about Michael Burry increasing holding was released.

I called this earlier, the proxy war was always going to be settled a few days before week closed. I'd keep a close eye next week and pick up some in the 3 dollar range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

00benski wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. Can you recommend any online stuff that I can track picks that I make. Or even trade with play money for the moment.

Most platforms have a practise option. EToro is very good for this as it’s extremely easy to use. But we wouldn’t do real trades there as the charges are insane. Xtb or ig are excellent platforms when you want to go for real

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Judging by the stockmarket today
    What?

Those days a loooong gone! :pac:

Kinda looks like people today are moving their short-term investments on positive movers during the COVID to more medium term / long term stocks. Bit early perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

interesting to see all the oil majors rising sharply today despite oil loosing nearly 10% at one stage

i guess when the dividends are that good , people hold their nose , the likes of BP and shell will most likely not cut either

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    interesting to see all the oil majors rising sharply today despite oil loosing nearly 10% at one stage

i guess when the dividends are that good , people hold their nose , the likes of BP and shell will most likely not cut either

Yeah I agree I got some Exxon yesterday so can’t complain about it being up almost 10% at one point today.

Not counting my chickens yet by any account, totally prepared for it to lose that and swing back to negative days at little or no notice. But yes, I was influenced by their statement to commit to continue paying dividends, whether or not that statement still holds water in 3 months time is another issue of course. Let’s see what happens.

Yeah I agree I got some Exxon yesterday so can’t complain about it being up almost 10% at one point today.

Not counting my chickens yet by any account, totally prepared for it to lose that and swing back to negative days at little or no notice. But yes, I was influenced by their statement to commit to continue paying dividends, whether or not that statement still holds water in 3 months time is another issue of course. Let’s see what happens.

Chevron is a better option

Chevron is a better option

Great thanks for the tip I’ll check them out for my next addition

Most platforms have a practise option. EToro is very good for this as it’s extremely easy to use. But we wouldn’t do real trades there as the charges are insane. Xtb or ig are excellent platforms when you want to go for real

Thank you and appreciate it. I will give them a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dave elle

deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

I was surprised by the decision to spend 15 billion on dividends. XOM were only generating 30 billion with oil at 60. With oil at 20, it’s crazy for them to be borrowing to pay dividends in my opinion. Debt is 55 billion and growing. If oil stays at 20 for any extended period they could go broke quick. Unless the Fed bail them out which is possible I suppose. It could be that the Fed backstopping everything has removed any aversion to debt. They were a good buy at 31 though no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

I downloaded Libertex app, is that any good? Tried getting a xtb, does that use XStation app? Sorry for stupid questions.

pearcider wrote: »
    I was surprised by the decision to spend 15 billion on dividends. XOM were only generating 30 billion with oil at 60. With oil at 20, it’s crazy for them to be borrowing to pay dividends in my opinion. Debt is 55 billion and growing. If oil stays at 20 for any extended period they could go broke quick. Unless the Fed bail them out which is possible I suppose. It could be that the Fed backstopping everything has removed any aversion to debt. They were a good buy at 31 though no doubt.

trump wont allow a big gun like exxon to go under , he has always presented himself as a friend of the energy sector

the dividend is the only reason to own big oil , they will beg ,borrow or steal rather than touch the dividend .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    I downloaded Libertex app, is that any good? Tried getting a xtb, does that use XStation app? Sorry for stupid questions.

Xtb uses xStation

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

trump wont allow a big gun like exxon to go under , he has always presented himself as a friend of the energy sector

the dividend is the only reason to own big oil , they will beg ,borrow or steal rather than touch the dividend .

It will not be Trump's decision to make, it will be congress... we need to see what price the airlines will be required to pay for the next round before making and predictions on how it will go on. Some polls seem to indicate that there is little support among the general pubic to put money into the airlines... treating customers like crap and then expecting them to bail you out, may turn out not to be much of a strategy.... it remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Would dalata hotel group be a good buy at the moment for long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

So institutional investors have bought the dip to fool retail investors that there is a genuine supportable recovery? The institutional investor make a few bucks before commencing the big short?

Have I got the drift?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Dots1982 wrote: »
    So institutional investors have bought the dip to fool retail investors that there is a genuine supportable recovery? The institutional investor make a few bucks before commencing the big short?

Have I got the drift?

the calm before the storm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    the calm before the storm

Very possible and I certainly have cash ready for that scenario.

But I have to say I am not discarding a scenario whereby central banks and governments prevent any further significant market crash in the coming months with all their money printing and debt based stimulus.

IMO it will lead to massive issues in the long run, but what they have done in the past few weeks truly is unprecedented and could be enough to keep the music playing for another while.

Advertisement