Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Altria (MO) has a very attractive div yield right now and looks reasonably safe at .8 of cashflow and at $36 you'd have to think there is some upside. Tobacco is generally considered a good defensive play and they are quite diversified now with e-cigs and cannabis.
    On the face of it, plenty of positives but lawsuits and regulatory change are a concern and it might just be that some investors would
    shy away on an ethical standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bob Harris wrote: »
    it might just be that some investors would

Yes, which I think can be seen as either good or bad depending on why you are buying the stock.

If it is seen as a long term purchase of a solid company which will generate cash flow (dividends), the discount due to some people refusing to buy tobacco stock can be seen as a positive.

If the goal is to speculate on the share price, it can be seen as a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1percent

Hi all,
    That was my thinking too RE defensive play, I hadn't really thought of the dividend side of it but after looking into it its definitely a positive, previously discussed tax aspect aside but sure Revenue will always take their pound of flesh.

My overall play is incremental growth over the long term with tobacco being the 12month to 3year play as a store of value. 10year plus I cant see much growth past inflation.
    If the bottom falls out of the market again, I think it will, and the Mega Cap Techs drop with the tide, can anyone recommend a good ETF to buy?
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I know it's obvious to say on a day when it's up 13% but Draftkings could be huge. Gambling in the US has been fairly underground for so long, think they're ready to go mainstream. ESPN has bought a stake in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

ACB up 60% today.

Bit late after a reverse split!!!! 220 reversed to 54 odd.

I'll let it go to 0 as its just a gamble, along with APHA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Anyone in on Zoom? On fire right now! Up over 50% myself since investing back in March and wondering whether to sell now or wait until earnings on June 2. Total coin flip as earnings may exceed expectations...or really fall short. I do know that insiders are all selling though, not buying...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I do know that insiders are all selling though, not buying...

There you go!

I know plenty of people using zoom, I don't know anyone who's ever paid for it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Pexip (in the same business as Zoom) went IPO Thursday, shares up 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

Anyone in on Zoom? On fire right now! Up over 50% myself since investing back in March and wondering whether to sell now or wait until earnings on June 2. Total coin flip as earnings may exceed expectations...or really fall short. I do know that insiders are all selling though, not buying...

I'd say sell but it's not my money. No one is paying for it as another poster said . Maybe hold on to 25% of your holdings if you fancy a punt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iQuestion

Thinking of investing 20,000 euros in DAL.
    If it were to return to pre-corona values (60) it would yield 300%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

iQuestion wrote: »

DAL be the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

If if's and but's were candy and nuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I am sure you have heard the saying, Buy on Rumour and Sell on Fact. The problem is that everyone may be selling on fact, if figures are negative. You will have to join the queue.
    It might be better to sell now and bank your gains so far. From what you say some people have been selling on the upswing and happy to take whatever profit they have made. Many traders sell before results, ex dividend dates etc

A bird in the hand etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

Bob Harris wrote: »
    On the face of it, plenty of positives but lawsuits and regulatory change are a concern and it might just be that some investors would

As we mention 'vice', there was research done maybe 2 years ago or last year on shares based on guns in the USA. Here's a protocol: buy arms shares like browning, smith & wesson the day after every school shooting and sell them within 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Just registered for a Degiro account.

You are placed on a waiting list to complete the registration process, I'm currently number 11355 in the queue!

Any recommendations for similar platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

kevcos wrote: »
    Just registered for a Degiro account.

You are placed on a waiting list to complete the registration process, I'm currently number 11355 in the queue!

Any recommendations for similar platforms?
    I use xtb and IG. I find them both very good. IG is excellent but a bit more expensive

Worrying seeing those kind of. Umbers. Reminds me of that old story about the taxi driver doling out investment advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

What if they go bust?

What if they drop to 2011 levels of $8....

It's not by any means bullet proof and it is 100% speculation, not investment.

What I do like is that they paid a dividend up until recently and of they do ride out the storm may well return to that dividend paying model, however that could take years...

A better idea may be to wait for Q2 results which will be dire, and buy that dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

What if they go bust?

What if they drop to 2011 levels of $8....

It's not by any means bullet proof and it is 100% speculation, not investment.

What I do like is that they paid a dividend up until recently and of they do ride out the storm may well return to that dividend paying model, however that could take years...

A better idea may be to wait for Q2 results which will be dire, and buy that dip.

100% agree. This covid-19 is at least twice as bad as the last recession for airlines, cant see any sort of v shaped recovery for the airline sector, those shares are still way over inflated in todays market imo
    The only thing is the amount of money the fed is pumping into American shares but still...
    We're not even talking about a recession in the coming months/year we're talking about a depression (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Warren Buffet not only dumped airlines but also banks and automobile.
    " according to a regulatory filing Friday detailing Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s investing moves for the first quarter. "

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

I use xtb and IG. I find them both very good. IG is excellent but a bit more expensive

Worrying seeing those kind of. Umbers. Reminds me of that old story about the taxi driver doling out investment advice..

Haha, I had the same thought.
    I just want to open accounts to get familiar with trading platforms. It's surprising seeing the how different the various providors handle registration.
    Etoro basically just require an email address and phone number, Internaxx require comprehensive id documents sent to Luxembourg for verification and Degiro have a lengthy queue to submit registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

voluntary wrote: »
    Warren Buffet not only dumped airlines but also banks and automobile.
    " according to a regulatory filing Friday detailing Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s investing moves for the first quarter. "
    As far as i know, he only got rid of GS and not WFC, which has the worse performing price of the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Taylor365 wrote: »
    As far as i know, he only got rid of GS and not WFC, which has the worse performing price of the banks.

I read the same thing so eager to see if he actually dumped WFC in the time when a lot of analysts are encouraging buying due to all time low...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    I read the same thing so eager to see if he actually dumped WFC in the time when a lot of analysts are encouraging buying due to all time low...

latest updates here doesn't look like WFC was dumped.
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4348288-tracking-warren-buffetts-berkshire-hathaway-portfolio-q1-2020-update

IAG, ryanair and easyjet seem to be getting attention this morning all up about 8%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

hottipper wrote: »
    IAG, ryanair and easyjet seem to be getting attention this morning all up about 8%

Seems like European markets are optimistic today and beaten up stocks / industries are benefiting from that optimism.

Carnival (cruises) is also up 7% and Accor (hotels) is up 3% after a pretty bad week last week.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    ACB up 60% today.

Bit late after a reverse split!!!! 220 reversed to 54 odd.

I'll let it go to 0 as its just a gamble, along with APHA

weekly hammer candle on the alternative harvest etf could be some scalp trade setups in these, might go for APHA will monitor it at open

| Ticker | Holdings |
    +
    +
    +
    | GWPH - GW Pharmaceuticals PLC | 10.68% |
    | CRON - Cronos Group Inc | 8.58% |
    | CGC - Canopy Growth Corp | 8.15% |
    | ACB - Aurora Cannabis Inc | 5.06% |
    | CRBP - Corbus Pharmaceuticals Holdings Inc | 4.87% |
    | TLRY - Tilray Inc | 4.75% |
    | APHA - Aphria Inc | 4.16% |
    | SMG - Scotts Miracle-Gro Co | 3.43% |
    | SWMA - Swedish Match AB | 3.37% |
    | OGI - OrganiGram Holdings Inc | 3.36% |
    | TPB - Turning Point Brands Inc | 2.95% |
    | ARNA - Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc | 2.84% |
    | 2914 - Japan Tobacco Inc | 2.83% |
    | LABS - Medipharm Labs Corp | 2.69% |
    | CARA - Cara Therapeutics Inc | 2.63% |
    +
    +
    +

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

hottipper wrote: »
    Ryanair FY210 results reported this morning. Excluding the C-19 period, profits up low double-digits. Optimistic guidance around opening up travel which has filtered through the rest of the travel industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Treppen wrote: »
    Holy Guacamole!

Aurora Cannabis ACB went from a basket case $1 to $10 on the back of this https://www.loudmouthnews.com/switzerlands-central-bank-bought-up-apple-ge-and-disney-stock-it-also-loaded-up-on-a-marijuana-stock/

Watch this space for others

Up 100% since stock split.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

AdMMM wrote: »
    Ryanair FY210 results reported this morning. Excluding the C-19 period, profits up low double-digits. Optimistic guidance around opening up travel which has filtered through the rest of the travel industry.

evidence of added liquidity to ride out the crisis could be the main reason for it soaring today ?

if it can defend against the covid slowdown , it will no doubt emerge stronger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bob24 wrote: »
    Seems like European markets are optimistic today and beaten up stocks / industries are benefiting from that optimism.

Carnival (cruises) is also up 7% and Accor (hotels) is up 3% after a pretty bad week last week.

yes , everything is well up but of course irish banks are going the other way

Advertisement