Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Picks 2020

Comments

IAG down to a new low of €1.11, down another 10c/8.5%. Is it lack of confidence in the company, confusion over the rights issue or fundamental underlying issues. Other airlines have held up better. Is it oversold or am I missing something (not holding IAG currently, but was considering long term).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Ouch Trevor Milton resigns from NKLA. They are going to get shorted badly in the morning.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/breaking-news-trevor-milton-out-of-nikola

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Bought my first warrants yesterday, in the SPAC "PSTH". It's Bill Ackman's SPAC. He apparently tried to convince AirBnB to use his SPAC, so gives an idea of the type of company he's looking at.

Where did you buy the warrants, i've been looking ages trying to find an exchange to do them.

Just put in a hopeful 4,000 shares at €1.00 for IAG. Not sure I want to complete :confused::rolleyes: It has gone under £1 on the LSE.

Edit, what happens if it goes below the €0.92 rights issue price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Yeah it's a very long term hold for me

We must have a small club all of us in the same boat here. So many radio shows and podcasts arguing handicap and total points bettong lines for American sports now. Some are sponsored by Draft Kings. When betting is eventually legal in each state in the US it'll continue to go from strength to strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Where did you buy the warrants, i've been looking ages trying to find an exchange to do them.

Setup an account with Interactive Brokers for my "alternative" stuff.

This is what i was getting, no US option.

Capture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Just put in a hopeful 4,000 shares at €1.00 for IAG. Not sure I want to complete :confused::rolleyes: It has gone under £1 on the LSE.

Edit, what happens if it goes below the €0.92 rights issue price.

If it goes below .92 cents,I don't think many would be interested in the rights issue.

If I was you and intend to buy 4K worth of IAG shares, wouldn't buy them in 1 go.

I have an a/c set-up with IB, but for some reason reluctant to use it. I just like easy to use Degiro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Got in on the $Kodak upswing. Bailed as I listened to The Donald speech when I realised he wasn't going to mention Kodak I sold to a very active market taking a good gain.

Still one I'll keep an eye on. Very high volumes and patriotic purchasing keeping it high.

Again?!! Wasn't' there a ginormous hype and an equally brutal drop on Kodak just a few months ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I have an a/c set-up with IB, but for some reason reluctant to use it. I just like easy to use Degiro.

With the additional online information Interactive Brokers provide, access to markets and the stability of the platform I'm considering moving everything across from DeGiro.

Any recent IPO's, Warrants and SPAC have appeared well in advance of DeGiro for some reason.

positron wrote: »
      Again?!! Wasn't' there a ginormous hype and an equally brutal drop on Kodak just a few months ago?
      Yes, again. The company hired lawyers that exonerated them. I made €5k, god bless 'Merica.*
      *not a derogatory comment btw, it's proudly used.

If it goes below .92 cents,I don't think many would be interested in the rights issue.

If I was you and intend to buy 4K worth of IAG shares, wouldn't buy them in 1 go.

Yeah, I've cancelled entirely. It's down to €1.03 now. And the way it usually works is that it'll drop another chunk on opening tomorrow.

I suspect it might drop to at least the Rights price. I think it's over sold as is, but might prefer it to start upwards again.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Anyone looking at lloyds... Might be worth a pun

I have 95% of my money on Degiro. Use Revolut for fractional shares (Amazon) and use Interactive Brokers for anything that Degiro doesn't have (warrants, new SPAC's, Pink Sheets)

This is what i was getting, no US option.

Capture.jpg
      I can't even remember that screen to be honest. Have you set up an account? IF you type in PSTH, there's an option there for July 24 '25 23 Call - currently at $8.10 - that's the warrant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Anyone have the liathróidí to take a punt on a bank today?

bcklschaps wrote: »
      Anyone have the liathróidí to take a punt on a bank today?

Zero attraction at the best of times :P HSBC only 3% down, it's shareholders probably approving of their actions :D

Banks wouldn't appeal to most ......... things will get worse before they get better so anyone seriously interested in investing in banks will have plenty opportunity to buy in over the next 12/36 months.

From a taking a punt viewpoint I'd struggle to see any appeal either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭jams100

20 stocks. 20 Red :eek:
      Bought another Amazon share today, they are going to once again have phenomenal sales in Q3 and more so in Q4!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

jams100 wrote: »
      Bought another Amazon share today, they are going to once again have phenomenal sales in Q3 and more so in Q4!

All red here too, years of gains being wiped out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Pelezico wrote: »
      I have been in and out of Smith's for a few years. I think they are cheap under 300p. But they may get cheaper. A good play on the increasing role of packaging.

DS Smith 270p today. Picked up a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭peterofthebr

looking at BAT atm..on LSE ..

Any particular reason?

Any particular reason?

good dividend, company steady enough.,... will look to see if i can get 60-100p return per share...

buy on the dip :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

As in, British american tobacco? I've been looking at them for quite a while also. Tobacco stocks generally don't really seem to have recovered since the March dip. BATS seems undervalued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Rothmans wrote: »
      As in, British american tobacco? I've been looking at them for quite a while also. Tobacco stocks generally don't really seem to have recovered since the March dip. BATS seems undervalued

Based on your username alone I believe that you have inside knowledge

Rothmans wrote: »

hi yes british american tobacco - on LSE bat.l .. bought in there at £26.21 before 4pm...was looking to buy somthing on the slide today -

folks, anything decent to pick for short-medium term please?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

All red here too, years of gains being wiped out :(
      Years? What?

Tech is on a pullback from ridiculous prices.
      Most other stocks are down but not near recent March lows.

I'm still up +40% in LUV and +30% in DAL.

+100% in MSFT + NVDA, +400% AMD

In saying all that, I've made about 3-4% since 2019 across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I've weathered the recent chaos quite well. Over the last two months my portfolio has probably fluctuated between -2% to
      +2%

Holding in order of position size:

Providence Resources (Oil) - Didnt fall even close to bep over the last two months - Up 20% overall

Barra Resources (Gold) - Rose over the last two months by 60-100%, back down however to below bep but somewhat of a hedge for negative US sentiment with gold involved

Annovis Biotech (Biotech) - Break even currently and wishing to load up on more

GameStop (Retail and E-commerce) - Break even and I'd bet a short squeeze is coming soon

Regulus Therapeutics (Penny biotech) - held a small position which is down 35% through my own stupidity, missed my sell point completely misreading a catalyst and I'll sell for a loss soon

I might open a sizeable position in STOR sometime but have only started my research on it

This year I am up around 350%+ overall from a small starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I poured a huge amount into Amazon right before it plunged... Have been looking for a good point to double down and stay for the long term. I'm not sure how the fibonacci works but it looks like it's hitting a resistance point at 2900. Could this be the turning point I'm looking for? Probably a bull trap with my luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

bfa1509 wrote: »
      I poured a huge amount into Amazon right before it plunged... Have been looking for a good point to double down and stay for the long term. I'm not sure how the fibonacci works but it looks like it's hitting a resistance point at 2900. Could this be the turning point I'm looking for? Probably a bull trap with my luck...

What's your intended holding period? Doubling down on a losing position is just adding to the pain. Amazon could go up from here or it could fall further, even test its 200 day moving average which would still leave it well above its March lows so not an impossible situation. If you have no reason to buy the stock other than you plan to hold it long term, then that's a major risk. Have you an exit strategy if it falls further?

Red on the day just or red from your entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shakespeare021

Mongo DB - Database
      Nio - EV's
      Xiaomi - Electronics and smartphones
      Beyond Meat - Vegan Grub

Also Fast.ly - Content Delivery network... Bit volatile due to Tiktok being there biggest client.

All growing, disruptive companies in their respective fields.

Usual companies that will thrive with the stay at home stay safe brigade is.
      Fedex Courier
      Zoom Video conference
      Roku Streaming
      Netflix Streaming
      DouYu Streaming
      JD.com Ecommerce
      Square Payments.

Get feeding Sharks.

• Advertisement

GME hitting a new 52 week high pre market. Another positive catalyst here and the short squeeze will be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭jams100

When do you have to declare CGT by? Is there a charge if you declare late? If so, what is it?
      Thanks

When do you have to declare CGT by? Is there a charge if you declare late? If so, what is it?
      Thanks

15th of December for gains/losses realised between January and November.

31st of January for gains/losses realised in December

Late interest is about 0.0219% per day I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Kilboor wrote: »
      15th of December for gains/losses realised between January and November.

31st of January for gains/losses realised in December

Late interest is about 0.0219% per day I think

and this is only above the €1270 exemption? (which still needs to be filled in your tax return?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

iAcesHigh wrote: »
      and this is only above the €1270 exemption? (which still needs to be filled in your tax return?)

correct - you just pay now the Tax owed by the deadline in ROS but all gets filled next year when you are doing form 11 for 2020 - so keep track of everything and how you calculated what you owe. I sold last year and had CGT , paid up but only filing it now as part of 2019 tax return !

• Advertisement

iAcesHigh wrote: »

Yes but you can also file your losses and write those off against next year.

If people want/need to diverse there is so much gain in spac's. It wont last forever but they are a goldmine at the moment.

Anybody on here trade US stocks?

Trade, not long term holding.

If people want/need to diverse there is so much gain in spac's. It wont last forever but they are a goldmine at the moment.
      I'm a big supporter of SPAC's and have done very well from them, there's 2 strategies:
      1. Pick an investor (ie before they announce the company) - find out who's running the stock. Is he someone you'd want running your money? You're basically getting him as a free financial advisor (Chamath, Bill Ackman etc). Don't give you're money to someone's SPAC if you don't know who they are.
      2. Pick a growth company (once the company has been announced) - once announced, the stock will jump a bit, but still loads of space to grow.

And most importantly the SPAC's to avoid, are the opposite of those. If you don't know the investor, don't give them your money blind. And once the company has been announced, is it a company you'd invest in if it wasn't a SPAC? There's some awful boring, small SPACs.

I'm a big supporter of SPAC's and have done very well from them, there's 2 strategies:
      1. Pick an investor (ie before they announce the company) - find out who's running the stock. Is he someone you'd want running your money? You're basically getting him as a free financial advisor (Chamath, Bill Ackman etc). Don't give you're money to someone's SPAC if you don't know who they are.
      2. Pick a growth company (once the company has been announced) - once announced, the stock will jump a bit, but still loads of space to grow.

And most importantly the SPAC's to avoid, are the opposite of those. If you don't know the investor, don't give them your money blind. And once the company has been announced, is it a company you'd invest in if it wasn't a SPAC? There's some awful boring, small SPACs.

Couple of good posts here regarding them as well.

https://twitter.com/Doc_Steve_Brule/status/1299928579451637760

I have a feeling the GameStop short squeeze is in full motion now. Up 28% pre market at 100% + short interest and a 10 day short ratio.

Most shorts are in at 6 dollars, price is currently 11.40 with more good news in Xbox pre orders arriving today

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Lads, do you believe Ryanair may go bust soon?

voluntary wrote: »
      Lads, do you believe Ryanair may go bust soon?

Eh, no

DilD wrote: »
      What's your intended holding period? Doubling down on a losing position is just adding to the pain. Amazon could go up from here or it could fall further, even test its 200 day moving average which would still leave it well above its March lows so not an impossible situation. If you have no reason to buy the stock other than you plan to hold it long term, then that's a major risk. Have you an exit strategy if it falls further?

Plan is to hold for 2+ years so long as everything going well. Wasn't too concerned initially but seeing it drop 2-3% for every 100,000 jobs announced or new distribution facility opened had me very concerned that it was in a bubble all along. Did a quick out and back in last week to lower my BEP to 3180 which seems a bit safer. Seems to be getting a nice boost today so maybe I missed my chance to double down. I'll hold and see what happens. Hoping a split around the corner too.

Kilboor wrote: »
      Yes but you can also file your losses and write those off against next year.

I made a CGT loss this year (so far) do I still need to declare that this year in order to be able to use it in following years? I thought only gains had to be paid this year and filed properly next year.

• Advertisement
    Advertisement