Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT due soon

Options
  • 28-12-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi, I hope I've put this in the right place.

I have a quick question about an upcoming NCT.

My car is due in March for it's NCT and I was just wondering would the car be classified as over 10 years old (2010 reg) when it completes the test? I've been told it would receive both 1 and 2 years by friends so just curious.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you do it over 90 days before that due date you will get 2 years from the test date, once you are inside the 90 days it will be 1 year from the due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

If you do it over 90 days before that due date you will get 2 years from the test date, once you are inside the 90 days it will be 1 year from the due date.

Learned

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, you need to do and pass the voluntary test prior to the 90 days before it's due date to get a 2 year cert. If you do it within 90 days of it's due date you will just get 12 months plus the remainder of the 90 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yep, you need to do and pass the voluntary test prior to the 90 days before it's due date to get a 2 year cert. If you do it within 90 days of it's due date you will just get 12 months plus the remainder of the 90 days.

Hi guys, thanks for the answers :)

So, as the NCT is due in March, I should have booked it through this month in order to receive the 2 years. Wish I would have known that.

It is due on the 30th of March so if I had only thought about it a few weeks ago I could have booked it to just be outside of the mandatory 90 day window.

Thanks again for your help everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

When is the car actually 10 years old?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    When is the car actually 10 years old?

Hi, I'm not sure. It was a NI car but don't have the original plate

It’ll be on the reg cert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

It's on the cert, Box on the top left beside (B)..... Not (B1).

Perfect, I'll check tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you've wasted precious days figuring this out. If you did the test more than 90 days before it was due, you'd get a 2 year cert. from the date you passed the test. If you did the test within the 90 days, you'd get a 12 month cert. from the date the NCT was due.

You had nothing to lose by booking the test a few days ago when you created this thread. It now looks like you wont be able to get it done outside the 90 day window so you're going to end up with a 12 month cert.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, you've wasted precious days figuring this out. If you did the test more than 90 days before it was due, you'd get a 2 year cert. from the date you passed the test. If you did the test within the 90 days, you'd get a 12 month cert. from the date the NCT was due.

You had nothing to lose by booking the test a few days ago when you created this thread. It now looks like you wont be able to get it done outside the 90 day window so you're going to end up with a 12 month cert.

Before you make statements like that wait and see what the OP says about when the car was first registered.... We do not have all the info of the car yet.

Oops! wrote: »
    Before you make statements like that wait and see what the OP says about when the car was first registered.... We do not have all the info of the car yet.

OP said the NCT is due on March 30th, what more do you need?

90 days before March 30th 2020 is Dec. 31st 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

My 2010 car was due its NCT in March also. I got an email from them a while ago saying if I booked and passed before a certain date in November I would get a 2 year cert but have a new due date in future. If I left it until March I would only receive a 1 year cert.

OP said the NCT is due on March 30th, what more do you need?

90 days before March 30th 2020 is Dec. 31st 2019.

My NCT is due in August but car was first registered in UK in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Oops! wrote: »

If you log into the NCT system to book your test it'll tell you if you are going for the early inspection, where the OP will get 2 years, or the periodic inspection. You don't need to know when you car was registered the NCT system knows.

The OP asked a question, i'm only trying to answer it.

Hi guys, yeah I should have booked it early but I don't drive an awful lot and was away the past few months so it never crossed my mind the NCT will be due soon.

I checked with the NCT booking service and it is coming up as periodic inspection.

The cert says it was first registered on 31 march 2010 so I must have just missed the deadline. Wish I had thought about it earlier.

Thanks for the assistance :)

Affluenza wrote: »
    I checked with the NCT booking service and it is coming up as periodic inspection.

Sadly the NCT centres are closed until Thu Jan 2nd. Your NCT is due on March 30th 2020 which is 91 days from today.

Sadly the NCT centres are closed until Thu Jan 2nd. Your NCT is due on March 30th 2020 which is 91 days from today.

Hi, yeah noticed that :/ The earliest date I can get is the 6th January after ringing up customer support. Pretty annoyed with myself but not much I can do at this point so I'll just book it for March. I'm pretty sure the car needs a couple of things anyway to pass so it'll give me a few months to get them all sorted.

Advertisement