Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body found in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cork may be going through a bad patch right now, but to be fair it didn't have a shootout in a hotel, or a body in suitcase in a canal, or a pair of teens who lured and murdered another teen or semi regular gangland shootings so no, it's nowhere near as "weird" as the capital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I am not shocked by human nature, they are slowly going back to their natural animalistic actions. Humans are no different from the monkeys on the trees or the bears in the forests. Chrisianity losing its grip will quickly cause humans to return to their animalistic nature. The worshipping of Gods was the only thing that separated humans from the rest of the wild beasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

As someone who lives in the city I agree that it is getting more violent. There's some streets you wouldn't dare go down in the dark anymore. The lack of visible Gardai for the last year or two is a reason for this imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

this is terribly and dreadfully sad. Cork does seem to be even more weird than Dublin.
    Homeless are dreadfully vulnerable.

There is a weird, shocking, divide in this country: between firstly, the Millionaires who are drawing in rents from the State and thus ensuring that their many mortgages will be paid;
    and secondly, the Social Employed workers (many Unionised), and in this kind of case, these would be the plethora of hostels.

The cute link that maintains these two is: Insecurity. Insecurity of Tenure.

And the people that pay the ultimate price for this deliberate inattention by the political 'elites', is Frankie.

R.I.P.

Hold on.

I just heard on the news this man was living in a house paid for by a homeless charity.

He wasn’t living on the street.

Can we not wait for the story to be released before ranting about da gubberment?

Cause we know how that mistake has been made in the past many times.

Been homeless doesn’t absolve people from anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Possible warning to distributors of crack/smack in the area who don't pay up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭The gray bird

Cork may be going through a bad patch right now, but to be fair it didn't have a shootout in a hotel, or a body in suitcase in a canal, or a pair of teens who lured and murdered another teen or semi regular gangland shootings so no, it's nowhere near as "weird" as the capital.

There's way more people living in dublin so the likelihood of such things will obviously be higher in dublin, but this is nothing we haven't seen before the scissor sisters done something similar years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

There's way more people living in dublin so the likelihood of such things will obviously be higher in dublin, but this is nothing we haven't seen before the scissor sisters done something similar years back.

Also, the cases given were selected over a number of years. The point was that Cork had had a run of it recently. Probably the most horrific murder I've heard of in the state took place on the same street as where Frankie was found just this past July. Cork generally has lower crime stats than other urban centres. Murders are common annually, but that's a function of population. However, there does seem to have been a spike in the past 6 months, and they have also been incredibly gruesome. Let's hope it ends with the turn of the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I am not shocked by human nature, they are slowly going back to their natural animalistic actions. Humans are no different from the monkeys on the trees or the bears in the forests. Chrisianity losing its grip will quickly cause humans to return to their animalistic nature. The worshipping of Gods was the only thing that separated humans from the rest of the wild beasts.

We are living in the most peaceful era in history. In ancient agricultural societies, rife with Gods and religion, about 15 per cent of all deaths were caused by human violence. Today, in the world as a whole, less than 1.5 per cent of deaths are caused by human violence.

Religions and Gods are comforting, because they explain to us in simple terms what is happening in the world, what is our personal place in the cosmic drama, who we are, and what is the meaning of our lives. But these are just fantasies. Humans have existed for more than two million years, while all religions we know today are the product of the last 3,000 years. They are changing social constructs rather than eternal truths.

If anything, it could be posited that violence in Western society has declined as religion's influence has waned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

this is terribly and dreadfully sad. Cork does seem to be even more weird than Dublin.

There is a weird, shocking, divide in this country: between firstly, the Millionaires who are drawing in rents from the State and thus ensuring that their many mortgages will be paid;
    and secondly, the Social Employed workers (many Unionised), and in this kind of case, these would be the plethora of hostels.

And the people that pay the ultimate price for this deliberate inattention by the political 'elites', is Frankie.

R.I.P.

This man wasn’t homeless. He’d been given a home. This isn’t a “homelessness” issue. If it was his choice not to live in that house then we have to either accept that adults are free to live their lives as they see fit OR
    Agree that some people need protecting from themselves, due to addiction issues and/or mental health problems. How we do that is a difficult thorny issue.
    This man isn’t dead because of rent or landlords or any economic divide. He’s dead because of a chaotic lifestyle in which he probably needed a lot of help or encouragement to make better choices.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    The strange thing is that his head and arms were found close by so it wasn't even an attempt at a cover up, just savage butchery.

Poor man and his family.

I know factually the murder stats are not going up but the level of violence involved seems to be rising.

I would imagine that it was a cack handed attempt at disposing the remains, which ended when the murderer/murderers realised that it is almost physically impossible to dismember an adult human without power tools. The sheer physical effort would be exhausting and take far too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

So it's a competition now?

Get a grip mate, I'm from Dublin, now living in Cork and I don't think there's either place looking worse or better than the other.

What I do know is that the level of violence used in murders this year has been more horrific than any other year in either county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Awful death, I really hope they find those responsible.

Lock them up and throw away the keys, animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That's funny because most of the worst people in the world are "Christians".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Possible warning to distributors of crack/smack in the area who don't pay up?

That's some jump !!!

This guy was a hopeless alcoholic, his body was found on the grounds of a well known drinking den. I sincerely hope that the Gardai don't jump to the same conclusion as yourself and instead concentrate on following up on the most likely scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hold on.

I just heard on the news this man was living in a house paid for by a homeless charity.

He wasn’t living on the street.

Can we not wait for the story to be released before ranting about da gubberment?

Cause we know how that mistake has been made in the past many times.

Been homeless doesn’t absolve people from anything.

The Irishtimes article said he was homeless, he was living on the street, he had just been offered a half way house recently by a homeless charity.

See link:https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/postmortem-confirms-homeless-man-was-murdered-in-cork-1.4126985

That's funny because most of the worst people in the world are "Christians".

Why do you think that now? It was atheists who murdered a billion people in the 20th century. In the name of atheism. Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao... did you forget about them?
    Anyway, tell us all the Christians who are the worst people in the world and why.

kravmaga wrote: »
    The Irishtimes article said he was homeless, he was living on the street, he had just been offered a half way house recently by a homeless charity.

See link:https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/postmortem-confirms-homeless-man-was-murdered-in-cork-1.4126985

You do know that being offered a house wouldn’t cure his addiction to drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

kravmaga wrote: »

He was living in a Cork Simon housing shelter not far from where he was found. He left there on Thursday and hadn't been seen since apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hibble

splinter65 wrote: »
    Anyway, tell us all the Christians who are the worst people in the world and why.

https://youtu.be/sAn7baRbhx4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

R.I.P.

Bs post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Chrisianity losing its grip will quickly cause humans to return to their animalistic nature. The worshipping of Gods was the only thing that separated humans from the rest of the wild beasts.

The religion you speak of raped children and killed babies of unmarried women.
    The pope himself tryed to cover it up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Some tripe in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I despair at the people blaming the housing crisis on this poor mans death. He had decades worth of complex addiction & mental health issues, he was living on the streets for some time and was availing of local services from Cork Simon.
    A far cry from the many families living in hotels & bnb’s around the country.
    Not that they don’t also have it hard, but they aren’t remotely similar situations. A free house is unlikely to have helped here.
    Both may technically be homeless but they are most certainly not the same scenarios at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What is up with these childish prats that bring the Dublin v rest of country into every thread. It's bizarre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I hadn't realised that the body was found naked... Just to add to the bizarre.

Any news of when the post mortem will be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I'd speculate it won't be made public as long as they are looking for the perpetrator(s) so it might not be made public at all. If it enters the public domain it may be from court reporting of any trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

I guess if they were going to hacksaw up his body it would be naked doh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    I guess if they were going to hacksaw up his body it would be naked doh

True enough I guess.

Wondering if the killing was unintentional and the killer panicked and tried to remove the body?

Shouldn't speculate I suppose, just hope nothing more sinister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

That pair of teens were from Kildare. It didn't stop you typing rubbish though.

• Advertisement

Why would that be bizarre? The murderer/s did their best to dispose of the evidence. Removing the clothes leaves more work for the Gardai.

Advertisement