Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body found in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They can shut up about the homeless crisis right now. Some cannot be housed independently. It will always be thus. They seem to have their own community.

With all due respect to the horrific way this man died rip..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

It's harrowing that someone could come to an end like this. Frightening to think that one human could do that to another. May he RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

smurgen wrote: »
    He was made an example of it seems.to dismember someone would take effort and wouldn't be the act of someone crazed. I think the people supplying homeless people in cork with drugs will be involved in this.

Yeah, are Lithuanian gangs supplying heroin down there anyone know? I believe they have made significant inroads across Ireland. Could well be making an example of to convince others of the need to pay up.
    Same of that polish fella they chopped up with machetes in cork a few years ago. That was over unpaid debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

enricoh wrote: »
    Yeah, are Lithuanian gangs supplying heroin down there anyone know? I believe they have made significant inroads across Ireland. Could well be making an example of to convince others of the need to pay up.
    Same of that polish fella they chopped up with machetes in cork a few years ago. That was over unpaid debts.

No idea but I remember in September there was a polish guy caught selling poitin to homeless people. For 10 eur a bottle. With the sums of money involved I could quickly see violence being deployed https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-target-400k-a-year-operation-selling-poitin-to-rough-sleepers-in-cork-952945.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Ok boomer.

It seems unlikely, though possible that the killings are connected. More rough sleepers, more pressure on the organisations that support them, more heroin, more organised dealing, and the evisceration of garda and other resources during austerity coming home to roost.

“Ok boomer” puts a poster in a particular bracket. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

They can shut up about the homeless crisis right now. Some cannot be housed independently. It will always be thus. They seem to have their own community.

With all due respect to the horrific way this man died rip..

That's unfair on people who find themselves homeless through no fault of their own. Every homeless person deserves a chance to get back on their feet, including drug and alcohol users. Most do get back on their feet thanks to volunteers, charities and state assistance.

And r.i.p. to the guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cantalach

fin12 wrote: »
    Well they haven’t arrested anyone for the murder of the homeless man in the tent. Didn’t hear they had any leads either.

They have. Two were arrested, released without charge, and a file sent to the DPP:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/man-arrested-in-connection-with-murder-of-timothy-hourihane-970739.html

1641 wrote: »
    All those things plus lack of addiction and mental health services. Many homeless people have mental health issues - sometimes the mental health issues led to the homelessness and sometimes as a consequence.

Decades ago we had we had over-incarceration in mental health facilities. But many of these were closed with no adequate replacements. Unfortunately we do need residential/in-patient facilities - both as regards treatment and as regards asylum in the strict sense of a place of refuge and safety.

No one can force anyone else to avail of services they don’t want or don’t think they need. This mans housing needs had been met but he chose to associate with a community who were not conducive to a positive future for him or themselves.
    As you say we used to lock people up including a paternal uncle of mine who was institutionalised for 50 years as there was no one to look after him. But we don’t do that any more and now we have no choice but to allow people who have no skills or tools to deal with life to reach their own level which is very sad.

You think that someone going to the effort of dismembering a body was over something minor?

The row in which this poor man came off worse was probably over something minor, yes. The dismemberment was probably a cack handed effort at concealing the crime, very quickly abandoned when it turned out to be far harder then first thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pablo128 wrote: »
    That's unfair on people who find themselves homeless through no fault of their own. Every homeless person deserves a chance to get back on their feet, including drug and alcohol users. Most do get back on their feet thanks to volunteers, charities and state assistance.

And r.i.p. to the guy too.

I know. But there are some out there and always were, who do not want to engage and probably never will despite the best efforts of everyone.

What are you talking about? :confused:

This was a non-violent man by all accounts. He clearly owed someone a massive debt or something like that.

The person who killed him and even dismembered the corpse is a monster, got it?

The person who killed him is most likely someone else suffering from addiction issues who didn’t intend to kill but then tried to cover up the crime by dismembering the body before giving up when it turned out to be too traumatic. So, not a monster, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Alright I've had enough of Splinter65's posts for this thread.

I know. But there are some out there and always were, who do not want to engage and probably never will despite the best efforts of everyone.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112136617&postcount=77

I agree.

I've had him on ignore for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

The fact of the matter is the City is incredibly underpoliced. It was in the Echo yesterday about how 138 Gardai have been assigned to Cork since the college re-opened. 136 have been sent to Louth (the smallest county) and something like over 1000 have been sent to Dublin.
    It's complete ignorance from the government and Garda HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

One of the problems with being a homeless drug user is that it brings with with a whole host of additional problems aside from the terrible mental effects of drug use or the horrible life-experience of living outdoors in all weathers. One is you leave yourself vulnerable to crazies out there. From crazies who will abuse you on the street or in this sad case leave yourself open to be brutally murdered. You can't live on the streets and not feel the danger you leave yourself open to. Those threats come from other homeless drug users as well let it be said. Wasn't that guy who was decapitated by a bus in Dublin CC some years ago a victim of ppl of his own social and mental circumstances.

I understand ppl need help with drug addiction but once you decide to go down that route you can't pretend to be unaware of the additional problems that will bring you. I am not saying ppl deserve to die like this but at the same time you can't expect to be a heavy drug user, live homeless-ly as a result, and expect that you can have any sense of personal security in your day to day life. So if the homelessness doesn't kill you and the drugs don't either, something else might. Sadly that is what has happened here.

I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done for drug addicts. A new injection center has been given the go ahead in Dublin CC, on Merchants Quay I think. I guess this is the best we can do. If there was some better way to deal with them, get them off drugs and get them stable, we would have thrown the money at it and done it by now. But I don't think there is a way to sort these ppl out no matter what money we throw at it. So in that regard I don't think we should be made to feel guilty as a result of this story - that 'we're not doing enough'. There isn't anything more we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I dont care if the victim was a drug user, alcoholic or homeless, he did not deserve to die and die in that brutal way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The Cork I remember didn't need much policing and was a great place to be. I hope it doesn't end up like Dublin or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

He was made an example of it seems.to dismember someone would take effort and wouldn't be the act of someone crazed. I think the people supplying homeless people in cork with drugs will be involved in this.

I'm willing to bet that they won't. Drink was this guys problem, not drugs. Might have taken a small amount of drugs but his full-time addiction was drink. I'd be pretty confident that this was a stupid fight /argument that went too far and then someone went to extremes to try to cover up the killing.
    You think that someone going to the effort of dismembering a body was over something minor?

Quite possibly, yes. It's happened before.

• Advertisement

All you have to do is put me on ignore.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I dont care if the victim was a drug user, alcoholic or homeless, he did not deserve to die and die in that brutal way

Nobody deserves to live and die like that. Everyone is deserving of dignity. We have to find a way of making this lifestyle unacceptable on a legal basis. People literally need to be saved from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I'd be scared to walk the same streets as a barbaric monster. Gardai need to get this animal locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

saabsaab wrote: »
    The Cork I remember didn't need much policing and was a great place to be. I hope it doesn't end up like Dublin or worse.

It's getting to that level sadly.The city seems to have gotten awful rough, within the past two years.Cork is a place i love a lot, but the heroin has destroyed the city.Then we had the incident with the youths on patrick street last November.I just hope they catch this dirty animal, and that he/she gets the punishment and sentence, that they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was back there for Christmas and while there was always a rough edge to the city, it has definitely gone worse. The amount of addicts you see roving around has increased and things like rough sleeping and begging have definitely increased.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I was back there for Christmas and while there was always a rough edge to the city, it has definitely gone worse. The amount of addicts you see roving around has increased and things like rough sleeping and begging have definitely increased.

Not entirely true.There is no active gangland feud in Cork.On the whole Cork always felt, like a nicer more pleasant and safer city than Dublin.While Cork has gotten rougher in the last few years, i still think it's safer than Dublin.Obviously the city badly needs extra garda reinforcements.So the hard drugs problem combined with a lack of policing resources, have led to the city becoming more rougher and lawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Not entirely true.There is no active gangland feud in Cork.On the whole Cork always felt, like a nicer more pleasant and safer city than Dublin.While Cork has gotten rougher in the last few years, i still think it's safer than Dublin.Obviously the city badly needs extra garda reinforcements.So the hard drugs problem combined with a lack of policing resources, have led to the city becoming more rougher and lawless.

What’s not true about what you quoted? You just said it wasn’t true and then agreed with everything in the quote...

The drug use and antisocial behaviour in the city has increased exponentially over the last 10 years. It’s painful to watch and I resent that there are no go areas in the lovely friendly city that it used to be. God love this poor man and his family, and those like him on the streets now. The Gardaí as an organization need to step up their game big time as regards resources in the city, and there needs to be a policy change with property owners being allowed to let buildings fall into such a state of disrepair as to attract this element.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    What’s not true about what you quoted? You just said it wasn’t true and then agreed with everything in the quote...

The drug use and antisocial behaviour in the city has increased exponentially over the last 10 years. It’s painful to watch and I resent that there are no go areas in the lovely friendly city that it used to be. God love this poor man and his family, and those like him on the streets now. The Gardaí as an organization need to step up their game big time as regards resources in the city, and there needs to be a policy change with property owners being allowed to let buildings fall into such a state of disrepair as to attract this element.

That Cork always had an edge to it, i disagree with that.In general it always was a safe city, but Cork has gotten rougher in the last couple of years alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hast here been any leads at all on this ?
    Surely people who know him knew if he was in trouble with someone,
    Surely its not just a random killer type situation ,
    Also why very odd to do what was done and not try hide the body ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Lillyfae wrote: »
    It’s painful to watch and I resent that there are no go areas in the lovely friendly city that it used to be.

Where specifically are these no go areas?

Advertisement