Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body found in Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Hast here been any leads at all on this ?
    Surely people who know him knew if he was in trouble with someone,
    Surely its not just a random killer type situation ,
    Also why very odd to do what was done and not try hide the body ?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4945890/cork-murder-frankie-latest-suspect-flees/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That Cork always had an edge to it, i disagree with that.In general it always was a safe city, but Cork has gotten rougher in the last couple of years alright.

Dublin has en edge to it but it's a safe city as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Be right back

TheChizler wrote: »
    Where specifically are these no go areas?

Wondering where are these areas too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I seen on twitter a person of intrest to the Garda in the investigation has fled to eastern Europe

Im not surprised iv thought from day one it was an Albanian,

A number of reason for this but the brutally of it is something they have been know for in London for years and they seem to be making there way into Ireland's drug scene of late,

Again wasn't mentioned where in eastern Europe but this is just my own theory on it being an Albanian ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Reading between the lines of the previous homeless guy that was murdered in cork a few months ago a guy working with the homeless down there was interviewed and said a lot of sinister new faces had arrived on the scene in cork.
    Hopefully his dna is all over the place he crime scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cantalach

I seen on twitter a person of intrest to the Garda in the investigation has fled to eastern Europe

Im not surprised iv thought from day one it was an Albanian,

A number of reason for this but the brutally of it is something they have been know for in London for years and they seem to be making there way into Ireland's drug scene of late,

Again wasn't mentioned where in eastern Europe but this is just my own theory on it being an Albanian ,

Given the brutality in the abduction and torture Kevin Lunney, what’s your theory on the provenance of that gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Wondering where are these areas too?

Around Jury’s Inn, the old FAS building, the Coal Quay, up towards Shandon Street is sketchy too, I’m sure there are more and I’m sure you know where they are. Clearly the Boreenmanna Road area...

If people’s response to this is always “Move on, move on, nothing to see here” it will never improve, only get worse. Ah we’re grand, we’re not as bad as Dublin is a cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Looks like the Gardai are on the ball with this investigation...
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eu-wide-manhunt-for-cork-murder-suspect-973516.html

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Fair play to the Gardai for being quick in finding out who is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Around Jury’s Inn, the old FAS building, the Coal Quay, up towards Shandon Street is sketchy too, I’m sure there are more and I’m sure you know where they are. Clearly the Boreenmanna Road area...

If people’s response to this is always “Move on, move on, nothing to see here” it will never improve, only get worse. Ah we’re grand, we’re not as bad as Dublin is a cop out.

Wouldn't have a problem walking around any of those areas any time of day. Why don't you include the Mardyke and Bandon Road on your list as they recently had murders in places with them in the address?

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Why don't you include the Mardyke and Bandon Road on your list as they recently had murders in places with them in the address?

I don’t need to because you’ve just included them yourself, perfectly proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don’t need to because you’ve just included them yourself, perfectly proving my point.
    What is your point exactly? That the length of any street adjoining a property where a murder has happened is a no go area? The same for any place with a higher than average number of poor or homeless people? Not sure where Cornmarket St. falls into this theory tbh.

Have walked those areas without experiencing any issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,924 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Some amount of tripe being posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looks like the Gardai are on the ball with this investigation...
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eu-wide-manhunt-for-cork-murder-suspect-973516.html

That’s good detective work. They should have him back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If you consider those areas as 'no-go' then you must be of a seriously nervous disposition. All of those places have thousands of people passing through each day and night with only very odd instances of criminality or intimidation taking place. Certainly nowhere near enough to consider them no-go areas.

If you consider those areas as 'no-go' then you must be of a seriously nervous disposition. All of those places have thousands of people passing through each day and night with only very odd instances of criminality or intimidation taking. Certainly nowhere near enough to consider them no-go areas.
    If these are no go areas, I would hate to see real no go areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Someone better warn the children at the primary school at one side of the road and the secondary school at the other side, the childcare facility and medical centre they're all in a no go area. Not just in a no go area but "clearly" in a no go area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Blackpool is rough and don’t particularly like walking on north Main Street at night.

I was walking back aloneto my friends after a night out, they live in the Lee flats, was nervous enough walking down north Main Street and the street where the cinema is. Walked pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder if the problems in Cork are caused by outsiders coming in form the likes of Limerick and Dublin bring their problems with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Seriously, you would think Cork has turned into Medellin in the past 12 months the way people here are talking. Most of the posters here must have lived very sheltered lives if they think Cork has turned into an unsafe city or has no go areas. Obviously certain parts are rougher than others, but that is the same in every city in Europe.

Murders and assaults are just getting more coverage on social media these days, before it would just be an article in the paper or on the radio, now it's endlessly discussed online.

You could go back 20 years or so to some horrendous murders and violent assaults that happened in Cork, but people back then weren't calling the areas they happened in no go areas.

As for people from Limerick and Dublin being the cause of all this, Limerick has been heavily involved in the drug trade in Cork for many years, so I'd doubt that all of a sudden they are causing a spike in any violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

fin12 wrote: »
    I was walking back aloneto my friends after a night out, they live in the Lee flats, was nervous enough walking down north Main Street and the street where the cinema is. Walked pretty fast.

Was that independent to the recent murders though or a result of it? Did you see any rowdy behaviour, groups of youths, fighting, broken bottles, syringes or anything along those lines that would give good cause to be nervous?

We can all feel nervous in darkly-light areas or even when turning off the lights in our own home, feeling nervous isn't a very reliable indicator by itself.
    mcgucc22 wrote: »
    You could go back 20 years or so to some horrendous murders and violent assaults that happened in Cork, but people back then weren't calling the areas they happened in no go areas.

I could be wrong but it seems to be almost a cliche to talk about the massively increasing drug and violence problem in Cork. It feels like they've always been saying the same thing, noticing a massive increase lately in drugs. I understand there is a heroin problem that must be tackled but it's still a safe city (2009 article):

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heroin-seizures-up-fortyfold-in-cork-1.694377

I could be wrong but it seems to be almost a cliche to talk about the massively increasing drug and violence problem in Cork. It feels like they've always been saying the same thing, noticing a massive increase lately in drugs. I understand there is a heroin problem that must be tackled but it's still a safe city (2009 article):

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heroin-seizures-up-fortyfold-in-cork-1.694377

It had increased then, and has been increasing since then. What’s so difficult to grasp about that? I just don’t get it. If people are satisfied by three murders of vulnerable people in as many months then fine, I for one believe there needs to be a greater Garda presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Always found cork to be safe enough.

No worse then anywhere else anyway.

Only time I felt discomfort was when those beggars were around that summer in 2017. Few of them were up to no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It had increased then, and has been increasing since then. What’s so difficult to grasp about that? I just don’t get it. If people are satisfied by three murders of vulnerable people in as many months then fine, I for one believe there needs to be a greater Garda presence.

If this guy wasn’t murdered at this derelict house then he would have been murdered instead at some other squat/boarded up house/in the woods in a tent by someone in similar circumstances to himself, someone he owed money too, someone who was angry with him.
    People with this level of addiction/mental health issues used to be incarcerated in institutions under heavy supervision to protect themselves from themselves and protect everyone else from them.
    We don’t do that anymore.
    We now have “care in the community” which means nothing really.
    Their “community” is just themselves, with their own rules and regulations and justice system. I’m interested to know what role you think the Gardai have to play in this, taking into consideration that everyone is free to congregate and assemble however and with whomever they choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

alastair wrote: »
    Hitler was Christian, and no fan of atheism:
    “We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations; we have stamped it out.”
    Adolf Hitler

Stalin trained as a seminarian. You could make as much of a case that his despotic behaviour was moulded by his religious education as his subsequent atheism.

There’s nothing to suggest Pol Pot was an atheist. He had both Christian and Buddhist education.

Hitler may have been baptised Catholic but was not a Christian by any means. He wasn't a fan of Atheism because it didn't line up with the beliefs of Nazism. In their longer term ambitions for Europe the Nazis planned on having a germanic pagan state religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

splinter65 wrote: »
    If this guy wasn’t murdered at this derelict house then he would have been murdered instead at some other squat/boarded up house/in the woods in a tent by someone in similar circumstances to himself, someone he owed money too, someone who was angry with him.
    People with this level of addiction/mental health issues used to be incarcerated in institutions under heavy supervision to protect themselves from themselves and protect everyone else from them.
    We don’t do that anymore.
    We now have “care in the community” which means nothing really.
    Their “community” is just themselves, with their own rules and regulations and justice system. I’m interested to know what role you think the Gardai have to play in this, taking into consideration that everyone is free to congregate and assemble however and with whomever they choose?

^^^^^ This, all day long. ^^^^

In 1980 we had 1,000 people in prison and 13,000 in Mental Health Institutions. Obviously, as history has thought us, these weren't ideal either as they were a bit of a 'catch-all'. Nowadays however, there are roughly 1,000 Mental Health beds and over 4,000 in prison, a huge proportion of whom have mental health issues with a significant proportion of those having serious issues. That's way too much of a turnaround to not lead to problems of its' own.

The label 'Mental Health' obviously covers a very wide spectrum including those with eating disorders or depression etc but there is a wide cohort of people whose issues ultimately manifest in violent and criminal tendencies. Judges hands are tied as they have no safe place to commit these people to so they end up committing them to prison. As good as the services try to be in prison they're overwhelmed and many fly under the radar whilst generally only the worst of the worst get any sort of intensive treatment.

Personally I can't see it getting any better in the immediate future. CAHMS (the Juvenile MH service) is grossly under-funded and has a waiting list of over 3,500 at any given time. Leo, as Minister For Health, even labelled this as unacceptable yet the numbers have grown even more since then !! Of the 'real' homeless, those down and out on the streets such as this victim (and probably his attacker), in and around 70% are estimated as having severe and untreated MH problems. It's a problem that's getting worse, sometimes caused by and other times resulting in drug use and abuse. The likes of 'Hash Psychosis' is very real and has turned what were otherwise normal people into pitiful shadows of themselves. Without investing more in the likes of CAHMS we're literally creating tomorrows problems today.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ollkiller

I moved to Cork 5 years ago. Play gigs round the city and have a fairly good social life.
    Cork is easily the safest city in Ireland. I'd be more wary of walking around Galway, Limerick or Dublin and even then i find them safe enough except for Dublin where i always keep my eye out for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Jesus Christ the amount of "no-go areas" is ****ing hilarious. As someone who lived on popes quay for two years till very recently I've never encountered a lick of bother in North Main, or Cornmarket street, considering there's a bloody Garda Station nearby. Yes it's not greatly lit towards the cinema but there's very little trouble. Shandon street the same, you'll have a few dodgy heads hanging about but they couldn't give less of a **** about some fella passing.

Jury's Inn at night I'll give you but that's a given considering it's near a wet hostel. And as for how this "lovely little city" has never been so bad... I've drank with plenty of older people while I've been here and they've told me some amount of stories of how there were legitimate no go areas in the 80s, or at the very least very dangerous parts.

I've been in this city four years and I love it. It's got its issues, and could do with a bit more Gardai around the city centre at night considering there's been a lot of scumbags roving upper Patrick's street a few times I've been down there but it's grand for the most part.

Gway with your pearl clutching, you'd swear we were in Mogadishu.

• Advertisement

While you’re all trying to out-edgelord each other, I’ll just leave this here.

Advertisement