Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body found in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Lillyfae wrote: »
    While you’re all trying to out-edgelord each other, I’ll just leave this here.

Hard to argue with the figures. Is it due to an influx of outsiders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

saabsaab wrote: »
    Hard to argue with the figures. Is it due to an influx of outsiders?

There were plenty of outsiders at the height of the Celtic Tiger in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Would be better to see that as a percentage of the population at the time, I'm sure we have more people in the city now than we did in 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Be right back

The population has indeed increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The population has indeed increased.

Mostly non Corkonians I'd bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cause listing broad crime stats for the entire city is the same as proving that specific areas are no go areas. :rolleyes:

Don't get upset cause nobody's agreeing with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Lillyfae while it may seem grand for you to sit there and call people "edgelords" and noting tiny percentage increases in crime Cork city is still a safe city and that won't change.

Tarring a city or region as being "no go" is hurtful and damaging to both the people there and to people who might like to travel there but are unjustly put off with this sort of raimeis.

If it's taboo to say that Cork is generally a safe city and I would have no issue walking any part of it, then I must be an 'edgelord'.

Anyway, Francis's funeral is this week. May he rest in peace.

Tarring a city or region as being "no go" is hurtful and damaging to both the people there and to people who might like to travel there but are unjustly put off with this sort of raimeis.

What’s even more hurtful and damaging is implying that Francis deserved it because of the company he kept and that he would have been saved from himself had he been institutionalized.

The house and grounds are abandoned and derelict less than a km from the city, in a housing crisis no less. Anyone there was trespassing, and by all accounts it was an occurrence known to Gardaí.

The figures are the figures, and they’re just a small snapshot, not taking into account or including the newly added towns to the city council extension. Also not included are the Gardaí per head of capita.

For the record, not implying that the homeless crisis has anything to do with this horrific crime and completely agree that mental health care shortcomings have a lot to answer for it. I’m just wondering why places like this aren’t legally subject to a bare minimum of upkeep when their dereliction are a magnet for antisocial behaviour.

What’s even more hurtful and damaging is implying that Francis deserved it because of the company he kept and that he would have been saved from himself had he been institutionalized.

The house and grounds are abandoned and derelict less than a km from the city, in a housing crisis no less. Anyone there was trespassing, and by all accounts it was an occurrence known to Garda

The figures are the figures, and they’re just a small snapshot, not taking into account or including the newly added towns to the city council extension. Also not included are the Gardaer head of capita.

For the record, not implying that the homeless crisis has anything to do with this horrific crime and completely agree that mental health care shortcomings have a lot to answer for it. I’m just wondering why places like this aren’t legally subject to a bare minimum of upkeep when their dereliction are a magnet for antisocial behaviour.

Ah come on.

Implying Francis deserved it? Who in this thread implied anything like that. Please point out where you're getting that from. Nobody said or suggested anything like that.

You made a stupid statement and objectively false statement. You said Cork was full of "no go" areas and it was pointed out to you that it's objectively not and in fact it's one of the safest and nicest cities in Europe. You need to take back your post and concede the point. Now you're going to lengths as far as saying that people are implying he "deserved it" because people are attesting to how safe and secure a city it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The ironic thing about those figures is that they show a reduction in reported crime in the Togher district (which includes large parts of Ballyphehane, Glasheen, Black Ash and even up as far as the airport.
    When I was a teenager growing up in Glasheen in the 70s' and 80s' large parts of Togher and Ballyphehane would have been considered no-go areas - and I was fairly streetwise myself but would avoid them if I could !!

The house and grounds are abandoned and derelict less than a km from the city, in a housing crisis no less. Anyone there was trespassing, and by all accounts it was an occurrence known to Gardaí.

The figures are the figures, and they’re just a small snapshot, not taking into account or including the newly added towns to the city council extension. Also not included are the Gardaí per head of capita.

I don't think anyone has implied that Francis deserved it and it's unfair to suggest that people have implied such.

Ah come on.

Implying Francis deserved it? Who in this thread implied anything like that. Please point out where you're getting that from. Nobody said or suggested anything like that.
    splinter65 wrote: »
    If this guy wasn’t murdered at this derelict house then he would have been murdered instead at some other squat/boarded up house/in the woods in a tent by someone in similar circumstances to himself, someone he owed money too, someone who was angry with him.
    People with this level of addiction/mental health issues used to be incarcerated in institutions under heavy supervision to protect themselves from themselves and protect everyone else from them.
    ^^^^^ This, all day long. ^^^^

Really? This is only a page back.

The ironic thing about those figures is that they show a reduction in reported crime in the Togher district (which includes large parts of Ballyphehane, Glasheen, Black Ash and even up as far as the airport.
    When I was a teenager growing up in Glasheen in the 70s' and 80s' large parts of Togher and Ballyphehane would have been considered no-go areas - and I was fairly streetwise myself but would avoid them if I could !!

I noticed that too, seems crazy. Those flats by the Credit Union being pulled down would have made a massive difference at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There’s a difference between a woman walking alone and a man by himself walking the streets at night.

I’ve done it but walk at an extremely fast pace and wouldn’t be able to relax till I got to my destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You need to point out specifically where I even implied that this poor man deserved to die, because your being very unfair to me.
    This is what’s wrong now.
    Anyone who strays away from the official narrative of the “homelessness” crisis as laid down by the liberal media and swallowed in entirety by people like yourself ( “people are dying on the streets because the government won’t house them”) is a victim blaming hard hearted monster.
    People are dying in the street because we don’t want to face up to the fact that lots of people don’t, and won’t ever have, the tools or/and skills to deal with adult life, for lots of reasons. And we need to do something about it.
    If that offends you then that’s your problem, but it is the truth.

Do you know what the word "deserve" means? You're not using it correctly by any stretch of the imagination.

You need to point out specifically where I even implied that this poor man deserved to die, because your being very unfair to me.

Have a little look at your own post and tell me how saying because someone must have been angry with him or he must have owed money to someone (All speculation on your part) doesn’t look a bit victim blamey.
    Anyone who strays away from the official narrative of the “homelessness” crisis as laid down by the liberal media and swallowed in entirety by people like yourself ( “people are dying on the streets because the government won’t house them”) is a victim blaming hard hearted monster.

No idea who you’re quoting here but you’d never catch me saying anything along those lines.
    If that offends you then that’s your problem, but it is the truth.

I’m not the one getting offended. I pointed out that violent crime was on the rise in Cork, was laughed at, then posted statistics to back up my point, which have been largely rejected by the good posters of Current Affairs/IMHO. Quite hysterically in some cases it seems.

Imagine being such a bad poster even splinter65 is destroying you.

Imagine being such a bad poster even splinter6 is destroying you.

This is a daily worry of mine, truly.

Back on topic, he is sorely missed by his family who he spent Christmas with. He had his demons but none so bad as to burn bridges with them. Again, RIP to Francis and condolences to his poor family. Hope the animal who did this to him is caught soon and brought to justice, and measures are taken to assist the more vulnerable people in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Cork in general is a safe city but in the last decade, there has been an alarming increase in hard drug use, anti social behaviour and assaults.I just don't see the point in brushing this under the carpet.The evidence is there right in front of our very eyes.In fact open drug dealing and usage, has gotten so bad in the city centre, that some businesses now have to resort to hiring their own private security team.The business owners in town, feel that the private security team, can get to and deal with incidents, a lot quicker than the gardai.

I’m not the one getting offended. I pointed out that violent crime was on the rise in Cork, was laughed at, then posted statistics to back up my point, which have been largely rejected by the good posters of Current Affairs/IMHO. Quite hysterically in some cases it seems.
    Nope you tried to claim something else and when it was pointed out how ridiculous it was you tried to backtrack and say you meant something else. Just admit when you're wrong.

If you want to have a conversation about violent crime then do, I'd agree with you to an extent, just don't resort to hyperbole.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Nope you tried to claim something else and when it was pointed out how ridiculous it was you tried to backtrack and say you meant something else. Just admit when you're wrong.

If you want to have a conversation about violent crime then do, I'd agree with you to an extent, just don't resort to hyperbole.

Where have I backtracked exactly? Some have agreed with me and admitted that they feel unsafe, some have disagreed and ridiculed me- including some posters who don’t really have any knowledge of how the city was before 5 years ago. Paleo is afraid I’ll upset tourism ffs.

My personal opinion is that the rise in Class A drug use, inadequate policing and the amount of derelict buildings around the city are directly contributing to the levels of violent crime. And yes, that there are places that I would not walk through alone anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

saabsaab wrote: »
    Mostly non Corkonians I'd bet.

Christ that's some axe you have to grind there.:pac:

Where have I backtracked exactly? Some have agreed with me and admitted that they feel unsafe, some have disagreed and ridiculed me- including some posters who don’t really have any knowledge of how the city was before 5 years ago. Paleo is afraid I’ll upset tourism ffs.

My personal opinion is that the rise in Class A drug use, inadequate policing and the amount of derelict buildings around the city are directly contributing to the levels of violent crime. And yes, that there are places that I would not walk through alone anymore.
    Feeling nervous somewhere doesn't make that place a no go area. Plenty of normal people go there, you apparently would go there with company. If you feel uncomfortable in a place then fair enough, but don't use language more suitable for describing a Brazilian favela.

I feel like Lillyfae is the type of person that no matter how much they get proven wrong and called out for their false and inaccurate statements they'll just twist and turn everything that was said and use pedantry when it suits them or try and forget something else and come up with things like "oh I meant that when a girl is walking on her own there late at night they might feel nervous" and similar nonsense. How many days is this going to go on for?

Lillyfae will you at least concede that Cork is not in any way a dangerous place relative to other cities in Ireland and Europe, and that there is no place in Cork that is a "no go area" in any reasonable sense of the term? You can't say you never said that or represented the area like that because you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Imagine being such a bad poster even splinter65 is destroying you.

Imagine being so bored and unhappy that the only point of this post is to criticise two other posters. Pathetic.

I don't want to criticize anyone, it's just annoying when people say things that are clearly not true and then don't acknowledge it when others politely correct them.

I feel like Lillyfae is the type of person that no matter how much they get proven wrong and called out for their false and inaccurate statements they'll just twist and turn everything that was said and use pedantry when it suits them or try and forget something else and things like "oh I meant that when a girl is walking late at night they might feel nervous" so on. How many days is this going to go on for?

Lillyfae will you at least concede that Cork is not in any way a dangerous place relative to other cities in Ireland and Europe, and that there is no place in Cork that is a "no go area" in any reasonable sense of the word? You can't say you never said that or represented the area like that because you did.

I don’t come here to be right, I come here to discuss current affairs. That’s what the forum is for, isn’t it?

I also never related Cork to anywhere else- I explicitly said that comparing Cork to Dublin wasn’t good enough. I related it to itself, 10+ years ago.

Stick your heads in the sand all you like but 3 people in as many months have been murdered and no one is awaiting trial.

• Advertisement

Imagine being so bored and unhappy that the only point of this post is to criticise two other posters. Pathetic.

I’m with you there Splinter!

Advertisement