Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bet not paid out and cancelled

Options
  • 29-12-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Firstly may I say I am new to this country and English is my first language.

I am somewhat of a semi pro sports punter, yesterday I placed a wager with a well known national bookmaker. The bet was €1800 on Leinster -4 handicap at odds of 5/6 for a total return of €3300. Fast forward today I go into shop to collect and have been told the bet was taken in error and should not have been placed furthermore my bet was now null and void and the bet cancelled. Then the icing on the cake was they don't have the money to refund my bet currently and I would have to wait a few days to be paid.

Well so many things wrong with this, no idea where to start. The bet was taken and placed is my 1st issue, second issue is they don't have the funds to even refund my bet.

Now I have been informed I have no legal recourse in this country as bets are not deemed contracts here. I mean seriously WTF!!!!!

I have been told I can complain to IBAS which is funded by the bookmakers themselves so I don't see how this is a fair outcome as obviously they will find in favour of the company financially supporting them.

Can I contact the Gardi to report a theft? or Can i take legal action for financial theft through deception?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Firstly may I say I am new to this country and English is my first language.

I am somewhat of a semi pro sports punter, yesterday I placed a wager with a well known national bookmaker. The bet was €1800 on Leincester -4 handicap at odds of 5/6 for a total return of €3300. Fast forward today I go into shop to collect and have been told the bet was taken in error and should not have been placed furthermore my bet was now null and void and the bet cancelled. Then the icing on the cake was they don't have the money to refund my bet currently and I would have to wait a few days to be paid.

Well so many things wrong with this, no idea where to start. The bet was taken and placed is my 1st issue, second issue is they don't have the funds to even refund my bet.

Now I have been informed I have no legal recourse in this country as bets are not deemed contracts here. I mean seriously WTF!!!!!

I have been told I can complain to IBAS which is funded by the bookmakers themselves so I don't see how this is a fair outcome as obviously they will find in favour of the company financially supporting them.

Can I contact the Gardi to report a theft? or Can i take legal action for financial theft through deception?

Have they given a reason on what was the problem with the bet that they said it should have been refused in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Confused Punter

tipptom wrote: »
    Have they given a reason on what was the problem with the bet that they said it should have been refused in the first place?

No they didn't, but the guy behind the counter says the bet was probably too big. He was a different guy than yesterday, and if so why was the bet taken and my cash pocketed into there tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Contact the guards and they'll laugh at you, and rightly so.

Have you tried contacting the Head office via social media or email?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Contact the guards and they'll laugh at you, and rightly so.

Have you tried contacting the Head office via social media or email?

Yes their customer care centre was the one's telling me the bet should have never been taken. Confused as to why boommakers seem to be unregulated in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

No they didn't, but the guy behind the counter says the bet was probably too big. He was a different guy than yesterday, and if so why was the bet taken and my cash pocketed into there tills.
    You need to find out from their office why they think the bet was refused in the first place as under the circumstancesc that the shop gave you is no reason not to pay out on a winning bet,that should be with their employee and their shop staff.

Only option now is to harass head office and social media the sh&t out of them and ibas as a last resort.

If Leinster was beaten your 1800 would be down the swanee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

The guards hahahahahaha

Ring Joe Duffy while you are at it

tipptom wrote: »
    You need to find out from their office why they think the bet was refused in the first place as under the circumstancesc that the shop gave you is no reason not to pay out on a winning bet,that should be with their employee and their shop staff.

Only option now is to harass head office and social media the sh&t out of them and ibas as a last resort.

If Leinster was beaten your 1800 would be down the swanee

Explanation given was bet was too large and shouldn't been accepted, when I questioned it was they said they take no responsibility for the actions of staff if they were made in error and are not liable for such mistakes made by staff. To which I almost fell over laughing.

Not sure why people think reporting the theft of a large sum of money is funny and shouldn't be reported to the Gardi. They haven't even returned the original stake, that is blatant theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Wonder what would of happened had it lost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Explanation given was bet was too large and shouldn't been accepted, when I questioned it was they said they take no responsibility for the actions of staff if they were made in error and are not liable for such mistakes made by staff. To which I almost fell over laughing.

Not sure why people think reporting the theft of a large sum of money is funny and shouldn't be reported to the Gardi. They haven't even returned the original stake, that is blatant theft.

Well first of all they are liable for the actions of their staff, just like a garage would be liable if one of their employee mechanics buggers up your car.

It is not up to you to have consideration for their internal procedures and instructions to staff. If what you say is correct the bottom line is that they accepted the wager and now appear to be reneging on it which is very dishonourable to say the least.

And a bookie shop that hasn’t got two grand on the premises during one of the busiest weekends of Premiership football and Christmas festival horse racing ? Don’t make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The kicker here is that if you had a losing bet they would have taken your money.

I had this issue before with an online bet I put on, I opened a new account and my first bet was substantial and it won, should have been a €1900 payout but instead my money was refunded and my account closed and I’d no recourse of action at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

some firms i have seen have payout limits on each catergory of sport in the t/cs - see if you can source that for thepro 16 or whatever its called these days

paddys max payput on rugby union p[ro 12 is 250,000 on match handicaps ??

https://www.paddypower.com/aboutUs/Betting.Rules/

boyles 100,000

https://www.boylesports.com/content/html/sports/rulebook.html

Well first of all they are liable for the actions of their staff, just like a garage would be liable if one of their employee mechanics buggers up your car.

It is not up to you to have consideration for their internal procedures and instructions to staff. If what you say is correct the bottom line is that they accepted the wager and now appear to be reneging on it which is very dishonourable to say the least.

And a bookie shop that hasn’t got two grand on the premises during one of the busiest weekends of Premiership football and Christmas festival horse racing ? Don’t make me laugh.
    My point exactly, would would the shop not have enough money to even refund the original bet although I do stress I would like the original bet paid out
    The kicker here is that if you had a losing bet they would have taken your money.

I had this issue before with an online bet I put on, I opened a new account and my first bet was substantial and it won, should have been a €1900 payout but instead my money was refunded and my account closed and I’d no recourse of action at all.

Again which is why I ask apart from IBAS which seem to be funded by the bookmakers what course of action can I take. I'm confused as to why a wager in this country is not deemed a contract between two parties and enforceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

It's fraud basically

You lose you lose

You win you get refunded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It's shocking what they get away with here.

When I'm placing an acca for example, I deliberately pick my selections to NOT go over the €1000 returns cus I'm worried they won't pay out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Serious gambler - 1800 quid on a 4 goal handicap market!

Maybe cancelled on gambling awareness reasons...

But your bet came in, they should have paid. But bookmaking is a scumbag's business really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

lawred2 wrote: »

Presumably it’s a 4 point handicap on Leinster rugby

Not sure what that means, I considered -4 Leinster a gift against Munster. Granted game was closer than I would have liked but they still got up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Collie D wrote: »
    Presumably it’s a 4 point handicap on Leinster rugby

Lol - makes way more sense

I saw Leicester.

Lol - makes way more sense

I saw Leicester.

Yes sorry LOL it was the Leinster vs Munster game sorry for the confusion and my bad spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

They will need to have some sort of terms and conditions to back up the cancellation. I would request that.

File an internal complaint they will have a procedure.

Once that fails then go to IBAS.

I would be surprised if we are not missing some details here tbh.

• Advertisement

advice i would give going forward - spread it about a bit if u can if in dublin do a few shops

your not rob howley are you lol ?

They will need to have some sort of terms and conditions to back up the cancellation. I would request that.

File an internal complaint they will have a procedure.

Once that fails then go to IBAS.

I would be surprised if we are not missing some details here tbh.

Not missing anything, bet was placed. Now they are saying the bet was too large to accept and the bet is null and void. They are going to refund the money of the original bet but didn't have enough apparently currently and asked me to return on Monday or Tuesday to receive the refund in full.

Nowso wrote: »
    advice i would give going forward - spread it about a bit if u can if in dublin do a few shops

your not rob howley are you lol ?

Not sure who that is. But yes as another poster mentioned I may have to place a few smaller bets and returns in a few shops to avoid this going forward. I'm still curious as to why bookmakers aren't regulated by anyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

Put the bet up
    On twitter etc . Highlight it as much as possible . Something doesn’t sound right here . I doubt this bet was done in pp spoils or lads was it ?

Not sure who that is. But yes as another poster mentioned I may have to place a few smaller bets and returns in a few shops to avoid this going forward. I'm still curious as to why bookmakers aren't regulated by anyone though.

you bet 1800 on rugby union but you dont know who Rob Howley is ? lol

Nowso wrote: »
    you bet 1800 on rugby union but you dont know who Rob Howley is ? lol

I#m a kiwi and welsh coaches dont make the news much lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

spurshero wrote: »
    Put the bet up
    On twitter etc . Highlight it as much as possible . Something doesn’t sound right here . I doubt this bet was done in pp spoils or lads was it ?

he said a major shop, so all points to Powers or Boyles. Lads panick at anything over €50

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

was this a one shop bookmaker or one of the big boys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

Has anyone ever had a losing bet cancelled and got refunded?

• Advertisement

I'll name bookmaker tomorrow or Tuesday after i receive my initial outlay back, then try and work out what I can do going forward.

Advertisement