Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bet not paid out and cancelled

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

yaboya1 wrote: »
    The odds minutes before kick off were as I stated above.
    Assuming what you say to be true the day before (Leinster -2 @ 10/11), how did the semi pro punter get a shorter price the same day for Leinster -4?
    As I said, I smell a rat.

Missed the bit where he said semi pro, but I see it now. I don't believe in semi pro gamblers anyway, the best and biggest gamblers I know admit they are down over their lives. Anyone who thinks they're up long term are deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Staff in bookies take large stakes all the time and then get a call from hq who was that customer... you should have rang that one over...ring next bet etc...

I’ve never heard of them cancelling a bet if the the market and price were legit.
    If that’s the case you’ll defo get paid out if you push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Bet instructions may have been ambiguous,
    Can happen unintentionally or otherwise especially with handicap betting.
    What price would Munster have been +4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

This is almost certainly fantasy. But on the off chance it is not do the following.

1. Under absolutely no circumstances accept your money back until you have exhausted all avenues to getting paid.
    2. Contact customer support and bet dispute over the phone and ask to speak to someone senior. Also send an email to their bet dispute department to open a case with them.
    3. Contact @BoycottBetfred and @gondorffhenry on twitter. Explain the issue and also send them a screenshot of the bet. Paul will help if there is a case to be made.
    4. Open a case with IBAS. This will take 6 months to 2 years to resolve. However if all is how you say the bookies don't have a leg to stand on.

Do not accept your original stake back until you have exhausted these channels.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭gmufc19

Why will it take IBAS 6 months to 2 years to resolve the dispute?

Could OP ask IBAS to instruct that the bet is refunded while the dispute is resolved? Six months, let alone 2 years, is an awful long time to leave €1,800 with the bookie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

gmufc19 wrote: »

Could OP ask IBAS to instruct that the bet is refunded while the dispute is resolved? Six months, let alone 2 years, is an awful long time to leave €1,800 with the bookie.

No regulation ,they slow-play the dispute

gmufc19 wrote: »

Unfortunately that is just the way it is. They work at their own pace and will usually look for any possible way to rule against the punter.

It is a long time indeed and quite often the bookmakers may just pay out to avoid having to deal with the dispute in the first place. But as I said if this is how the OP says it is he needs to be prepared to go all the way. If he is indeed a semi pro punter then 1 bet held up is hardly going to cause him to go hungry.

If it was me I would not be collecting 1800 quid just because you don't want the bookies having it. I would not be accepting a partial payout or stake returned without more answers.

Who is the bookmaker OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Only if it happened, which is very unlikely.

I completely agree, and was dubious about the OP from the start, but in fairness this thread has thrown up some interesting discussion.

As for IBAS you'll need a tighter than tight case, as they'll do all in their power to find in favour of the bookmaker.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    I completely agree, and was dubious about the OP from the start, but in fairness this thread has thrown up some interesting discussion.

As for IBAS you'll need a tighter than tight case, as they'll do all in their power to find in favour of the bookmaker.

I'm also sceptical but I said I would put up advice anyway as it may be helpful to someone. I have opened a case with IBAS myself in the past. They are beyond useless tbh. The dispute ended up getting resolved during the IBAS process. The bookmaker called me one day to tell me they would pay me the full amount owed and so I closed the IBAS case.
    But I think it is worth it to open the case with them just to show that you are willing to fight it.

If you are opening a case with IBAS ensure you have a dispute logged with the bookmaker first. Do this by calling or emailing them. Ask them for a dispute number that you can provide to IBAS

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

As others have pointed out the game went off Munster -1, it was Leinster -1 the day before.
    The fact the bet was placed at odds of 5/6 rather than 10/11 indicates it was probably an In-running bet, possibly when Leinster went 7-0 up when playing with the wind.

I'm guessing the odds might have changed while the bet was being put on or the money counted etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

In general regulation of bookies in inadequate. They are basically allowed assymetric T&Cs that say that they can cancel the bet but that you cannot. Given the nature of the industry this is needed to some extent, but they should be at least required to pay some compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Name and shame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I'm guessing the odds might have changed while the bet was being put on or the money counted etc.
    If the story is valid, this could be the likely scenario i.e. large bet on a dynamic live market, subject frequent to price changes.

Online you might expect a price adjustment (even automated) every 10secs or so and would often have to accept any +/- movement just in order to get it through with any sense of gusto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭chooseusername

As others have pointed out the game went off Munster -1, it was Leinster -1 the day before.
    The fact the bet was placed at odds of 5/6 rather than 10/11 indicates it was probably an In-running bet, possibly when Leinster went 7-0 up when playing with the wind.

5/6 would be very generous when 7-0 up,
    also would he not be offered the bet at whatever the odds were at the time the bet was placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Confused Punter

Ok this is the last post I will make in regards to the post.

Firstly they have refunded all 3 bets on the match. So I'm all square no profit. Yes the 3rd bet placed during the game.

Apparently the bet was null and void shortly after I left shop when they must have rang it through.

I have been accused of arbo betting and apparently was seen in same shop day before placing the other 2 bets. My mistake placing the bets in same shop and just being lazy.

They have informed me that i may continue to wager with them but my bets will be limited to a max €100 per wager.

No i wont post screen grabs of my tickets or wager because that would show how the bets were done.

And for those who dont know nor understand arbo betting its a strategy used to cover all aspects of a result ensuring a ROI (return on investment). This happens when over odds are posted usually 24 to 48 hrs before a match.

Been laying bets like this for over 12 months here now 1st time I have had an issue, so lesson learnt will have to be more aware of where and when I place the bets now.

Thank you for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

5/6 would be very generous when 7-0 up,
    also would he not be offered the bet at whatever the odds were at the time the bet was placed?

Hard to say unless the OP lets us know but 5/6 Leinster -4 would seem around right allowing for the wind advantage and a closing line of Munster-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Ok this is the last post I will make in regards to the post.

Firstly they have refunded all 3 bets on the match. So I'm all square no profit. Yes the 3rd bet placed during the game.

Apparently the bet was null and void shortly after I left shop when they must have rang it through.

I have been accused of arbo betting and apparently was seen in same shop day before placing the other 2 bets. My mistake placing the bets in same shop and just being lazy.

They have informed me that i may continue to wager with them but my bets will be limited to a max €100 per wager.

No i wont post screen grabs of my tickets or wager because that would show how the bets were done.

And for those who dont know nor understand arbo betting its a strategy used to cover all aspects of a result ensuring a ROI (return on investment). This happens when over odds are posted usually 24 to 48 hrs before a match.

Been laying bets like this for over 12 months here now 1st time I have had an issue, so lesson learnt will have to be more aware of where and when I place the bets now.

Thank you for your replies.

So in other words ....
    You didn't give us ALL THE INFORMATION ... Yet asked us to comment on " what you should do about been refused winnings " .
    How about in future .... Give the whole story !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

What's the big deal about the screenshots

Its not like its anything new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

BoroMan32 wrote:
    It is a sad state of affairs that you'd even have hassle with a so called 'major' bookmaker taking €1,800 on a sports handicap bet @ 5/6. The industry in this country badly needs some form of regulation as the behaviour of the bigger firms is absolutely disgusting in many respects. I was in Powers over Christmas and the two lads on the in shop 'radio' were constantly sh!tting on about horses and dogs being certainties and one of them actually referred to a greyhound race by saying ''gambles at Crayford nearly always win''. Sickening stuff.

Ah come on!!

Anyone who has a bet on the "advice", of the bookie deserves everything they get.

It reminds me of that episode of bottom involving sad ken. Couldn't put the link up but you tube "sad ken bottom"

Well that moves the goal posts considerably. You will get banned out of every bookie on the planet for arbing and IBAS will have a good laugh off you as well so I wouldn't waste your time with that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Was following this out of curiosity. And there it is. A semi-pro(?) punter who arbs in the same shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

I don't believe a word of the OP. I said it yesterday, this whole story is fictitious. The whole situation didn't/does't exist, hence changing the story to make people believe, and people did actually believe a bookmaker wouldn't pay out on a winning bet?! I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

For once I'm on the same page as GOAT. The whole story is just made up nonsense. If it wasn't you'd have made it clear what had occurred in the opening post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dice75 wrote: »
    Was following this out of curiosity. And there it is. A semi-pro(?) punter who arbs in the same shop.

Could someone explain what arbing is please?

Stheno wrote: »
    Could someone explain what arbing is please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrage_betting

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So op was basically changing increasing his winnings with different bets and different odds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

There we have it, 10 pages based on incomplete information before the truth comes out. How did you think you even had a case with them?

Stheno wrote: »
    So op was basically changing increasing his winnings with different bets and different odds?

No, he was guaranteeing himself a profit on the match by betting seperately on all outcomes of the handicap market as the market changed from a couple days before the game up to early in-running prices. All done in the same shop. Which he neglected to mention in the OP as this would have given the correct quick answer as to why they were witholding the bet(s).

Im not arguing either way on the merits of arbing just discussing what happened in this thread.

No, he was guaranteeing himself a profit on the match by betting seperately on all outcomes of the handicap market as the market changed from a couple days before the game up to early in-running prices. All done in the same shop. Which he neglected to mention in the OP as this would have given the correct quick answer as to why they were witholding the bet(s).

Im not arguing either way on the merits of arbing just discussing what happened in this thread.

Thanks that was what I meant and just put it badly

Appreciate the clarification

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

What a pr*ck, you had me on your side but of course you left out the part that you were arbing... in the same shop. Which they will always reject.

Advertisement