Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours sheep on my land

• 29-12-2019 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all. Have an out farm thats beside an individual who got into sheep two years ago. One issue is he did not fence his farm. I have been plagued by his sheep on it. Every time I pass it they are on it. The have fences pulled down and the existing hedge has more holes in it than a sieve. I've tried talking to him but he is ignoring my calls and texts. What options have I.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Solicitors letter asking him to cease and desist allowing his animals to trespass on your land, are you confident that the boundary is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Ginger83

murrak123 wrote: »
    Hi all. Have an out farm thats beside an individual who got into sheep two years ago. One issue is he did not fence his farm. I have been plagued by his sheep on it. Every time I pass it they are on it. The have fences pulled down and the existing hedge has more holes in it than a sieve. I've tried talking to him but he is ignoring my calls and texts. What options have I.

We have had the same problem with land rented beside us, animals breaking in all the time.

The owner does not care and we are currently going through court to recoup costs for damage so i have told them i will be putting down the next animal that breaks out of that field into ours.

And if he sues you for same he will almost certainly win

Stanford wrote: »
    And if he sues you for same he will almost certainly win

as long as he gets the message ;)

no issues since

Fair enough but remember you do not have the automatic right to shoot animals trespassing on your land

• Advertisement

Fair enough but remember you do not have the automatic right to shoot animals trespassing on your land

probably not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Young95

Could u not just fence the ditch yourself?? Or is there loads of gaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

option one gather the sheep get tag numbers phone dept to find out whose sheep they r (coz u don't know) they won't tell u bcoz of gdpr) .repeat a number of times emphizing that they are scratching a lot.

option 2 gather sheep deposit on the most inconvient mountatin commonage forestry available

option 3 <snip>

Mod note: NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is it not just a simple matter of contacting the department? Aren’t you supposed to have stock on your own maps? They’d inspect and fine 5 or 10% if stock not on land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is it not just a simple matter of contacting the department? Aren’t you supposed to have stock on your own maps? They’d inspect and fine 5 or 10% if stock not on land.

Would that not be a double edge sword
    Your land should be stock proof (yours in and others out)

• Advertisement

No. His sheep are not staying in the designated field but the other guys cattle are. Case closed I’d imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Fresh lamb chops are damn tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

But if those animals are repeatedly causing damage to the land even after the owners have been told.........are they not vermin?

No. His sheep are not staying in the designated field but the other guys cattle are. Case closed I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Murang

Load them up and dump them about 30 miles away he will soon realise what's happening and control them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    option one gather the sheep get tag numbers phone dept to find out whose sheep they r (coz u don't know) they won't tell u bcoz of gdpr) .repeat a number of times emphizing that they are scratching a lot.

option 2 gather sheep deposit on the most inconvient mountatin commonage forestry available

option 3 <snip>

Option 4 land them into the mart and go. Saw a pen of sheep selling for a quid once and was told that's what happened

Options 1 and 3 are the best options

Is it illegal to gather sheep up on your own land and insert own tags into any sheep which have other so they then become your own flock?

What happens to old tags is a mystery.

Is it illegal to gather sheep up on your own land and insert own tags into any sheep which have other so they then become your own flock?

What happens to old tags is a mystery.

That's called theft

But the sheep are on your own land and if the owner has been told but does nowt most probably they arent his otherwise he would have claimed his property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Load a few of them up and deposit them up the side of a hill, repeat until owner gets the message

• Advertisement

But the sheep are on your own land and if the owner has been told but does nowt most probably they arent his otherwise he would have claimed his property?

Remind me to never lend you anything

But if those animals are repeatedly causing damage to the land even after the owners have been told.........are they not vermin?

I might be able to tell you in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

There is no obligation on the owner of land to fence purely to keep livestock owned by others out.
    There is an obligation on owners of livestock to keep their animals in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Odelay

Bull crap. If I decide to run an elephant and mink farm, it is my responsibility, as the stock owner to fence it correctly to keep them in. Nothing to do with the neighbouring land owners, they do not have to install elephant and mink proof fences to keep them out. Its quite simple. Your stock, you're responsible for their control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Go to Garda and explain you have stray sheep on your lands and can they get them removed to the pound. The owner will have to pay to get them back and all legal and above board. The owner has to control his animals for disease purposes and can’t let them stray and wander. Nobody likes a visit from the boys in blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How can Bord Bia stand over the tracability of Irish lamb/sheep if this roaming is allowed happen, complete joke of a certification.

How can Bord Bia stand over the tracability of Irish lamb/sheep if this roaming is allowed happen, complete joke of a certification.

Who said the neighbour is bordbia certified?
    Ya know it's not compulsory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭joe35

Also with hill farmers, sheep graze together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

If its going on this long, write a letter to your local DVO, explaining that you are making an animal welfare complaint of sheep being allowed to stray, you can state which parcel of land, a few photos of holes in the fence. Check out the animal welfare act 2017, Section 8. 2. A. And Section 8. 3. A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Theres a Ram in our land for the past few weeks. I have asked all the neigbours around who keep sheep and it doesnt belong to any of them. How can I find out who it belongs to? Have the tag number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Young95

Theres a Ram in our land for the past few weeks. I have asked all the neigbours around who keep sheep and it doesnt belong to any of them. How can I find out who it belongs to? Have the tag number.

Where are you from ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

Yep ring DVO, in order to comply with a herd number sheep have to have good fencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A lamb jumped off a lorry on the motorway, guards came to me and we caught him, I phoned the DVO with the tag number but they would only tell the name of the owner to the guards, lamb was sold in Ballinasloe that day, buyer collected him a few days later, he jumped off the top deck, he was well stiff and sore the next day

I'm missing a ram about 5 weeks. Had the sheep in an out farm of about 20 acres. A few big drains in the field. Not many sheep in the area, mainly tillage. Walked the field and surrounding area and can't find him. Said it to a few men in the area but no word.
    He's either in the drain, travelled a good distance looking for love, or somebody lifted him. Would love to know what happened him, he was only a hoggett🤔🙁

Young95 wrote: »
    Where are you from ?

Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭hopeso

It might be worth putting a notice on local radio, in case he has travelled a bit.

joe35 wrote: »
    I'm missing a ram about 5 weeks. Had the sheep in an out farm of about 20 acres. A few big drains in the field. Not many sheep in the area, mainly tillage. Walked the field and surrounding area and can't find him. Said it to a few men in the area but no word.
    He's either in the drain, travelled a good distance looking for love, or somebody lifted him. Would love to know what happened him, he was only a hoggett🤔🙁

Did you not walk the drain? Vermin don't be long consuming a dead sheep, but you'd still find wool for a good while after.....

Walked it about 5/6 times, father walked it too. Not even a bit of wool showing. There deep drains around the field, but still no sign anywhere.

You'd be surprised how far they'd travel. We had a blackface ewe in with us 3 or 4 years ago. The owner is 3 mile as the crow flies from us. We traced the ewe back to the owner fairly handy because hes the only one around with mountain type ewes. We let him know we had the ewe but he never bothered to come and collect her. One day after about 6 months the ewe was no where to be seen and hasnt been seen since. Often wondered where she ended up.

Walked it about 5/6 times, father walked it too. Not even a bit of wool showing. There deep drains around the field, but still no sign anywhere.

I'd say you can rule out the drain, then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

hopeso wrote: »
    I'd say you can rule out the drain, then.

Noooo could still be in the drain eaten down to bones be the visious drain rats!

Advertisement