Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to legally circumvent anti boycott laws.

Options
  • 29-12-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

One way of conducting a boycott is to not purchase a product. Originally however, to boycott was to shun in a broader sense. It included withholding service by not working for an individual or company and not selling to the boycotted party.

Nowadays, there are laws which make it illegal not to sell to a willing buyer as it is considered discriminatory. This is fair enough in so far as it prevents one person suffering the consequences of bad behaviour by another. However, in the case of the travelling community for example, they are transient. They could for example be on their best behaviour for a long time and then behave badly just before they move on. Now if a publican were to experience this phenomenon happening over and over again, then permanent closure would be tempting as the option of refusing service in a discriminatory way is prohibited by law.

Personally, I would never discriminate against travelers or anyone else and besides, people who are treated with respect generally reciprocate. The point I am getting at is this: Is the government trying to limit people`s freedom to protest by introducing laws that are anti boycott? After all, if such tactics were illegal in 1880, the original boycott might have failed. These laws just seem to me to be designed to control. They dis-empower the masses. So, how can such laws be legally circumvented if the cause is just and warranted?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It is illegal to circumvent laws

Given your example, I can see what you are up to here

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement