Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€20 booking fee for restaurant

• 30-12-2019 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Is this normal? I was looking to book a table for two tomorrow and got directed to resdiary. I knew there was supposed to be a nominal fee which is grand but a tenner per person just to book seems crazy! I'd gladly pay it if some of it came off the bill but it seems to be just a fee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

tvc15 wrote: »
    Is this normal? I was looking to book a table for two tomorrow and got directed to resdiary. I knew there was supposed to be a nominal fee which is grand but a tenner per person just to book seems crazy! I'd gladly pay it if some of it came off the bill but it seems to be just a fee.

You sure it doesn't come off the bill? I'd imagine it does or is refunded.

So much business is lost by restaurants by no shows, so I don't blame a deposit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's not a deposit in case of a no show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

There is a major issue at present with dopes booking tables and not turning up. It is threatening the viability of some places.

Check to see if it is a non-refundable deposit. If it is, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Madness as a booking fee that doesn’t come off the bill, perfectly five otherwise (unless you’re someone who books and doesn’t turn up).

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

No indication that it comes off the bill so I'll have to wait to call tomorrow and hopefully get a table. Its a small place so understandable they can't afford cancellations but I'd pay a higher non refundable deposit if it came off the bill. 20 euro is taking the piss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No indication that it comes off the bill so I'll have to wait to call tomorrow and hopefully get a table. Its a small place so understandable they can't afford cancellations but I'd pay a higher non refundable deposit if it came off the bill. 20 euro is taking the piss

It's quite obviously a deposit.

You've just misunderstood.

Whilst you never say never, I've never heard of a booking fee for a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Yes, it comes off the bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

It's needed tbh especially with the increase of people using the likes of OpenTable and not turning up. It will come off the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

it seems to be just a fee.
    is this what they told you when you asked for clarity?

what is the name of the place. There is no naming and shaming if that is their policy, but I doubt it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

Would you not just call the restaurant yourself if it's not clear from the booking system whether it's taken off the bill or not?
    If it isn't and you feel aggrieved, during the busiest time of year for restaurants, then you (maybe) have a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If it is a deposit, which I bet it is, perhaps you should politely suggest to the business to make that fact clear, as they could be losing custom because of the misunderstanding.

If its a non-refundable charge, then I would be more blunt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Terminology is important.

If this is a booking deposit ( i.e. comes off your bill at the end of the night, but non refundable if you don’t show up) then that perfectly fair imho.

However if it’s a booking fee ( i.e. a charge for making the booking that is in addition to your bill for the night} I’d give the online system a miss, and instead just phone them and book a table. It’s Ireland, not Trump’s NYC. No way can you justify paying €20 just to make a booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭worded

Mate runs a Business and says ppl sometines book different places and then let the group decide where to go ... so Group will it be Indian or Italian etc ?

Horrible thing to do to a restaurant but no shows are not unusual

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Terminology is important.

If this is a booking deposit ( i.e. comes off your bill at the end of the night, but non refundable if you don’t show up) then that perfectly fair imho.

However if it’s a booking fee ( i.e. a charge for making the booking that is in addition to your bill for the night} I’d give the online system a miss, and instead just phone them and book a table. It’s Ireland, not Trump’s NYC. No way can you justify paying €20 just to make a booking.

It states booking fee "A payment of €20.00 will be required to secure this reservation" and "Booking Fee (€10.00) December Booking Fee €10 per person"

It's a small restaurant in Sallins, I'll be ringing later today to try make a reservation and clarify the fee but nowhere in the process is it mentioned that it's a deposit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,424 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Knowing what restaurant you mean, it's a deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

It's a small restaurant in Sallins, I'll be ringing later today to try make a reservation and clarify the fee but nowhere in the process is it mentioned that it's a deposit

They should make it clearer and say deposit not fee but if you read the full terms it states:

The terms, require a €10 non refundable and non transferable booking fee per person to be paid at the booking stage to secure the booking. This amount (€10 x number of guests) will be deducted from bill total upon payment of the bill for all guests who attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Knowing that restaurant, I'm well jealous. Enjoy.

I rang and got the reservation anyway without a deposit or a fee so happy enough, I just never read that far down the terms and conditions I guess so my bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I rang and got the reservation anyway without a deposit or a fee so happy enough, I just never read that far down the terms and conditions I guess so my bad!

Storm in a tea cup.
    As others have said this type of setup is becoming more common and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Is this sneaky viral marketing?
    I don't think anybody bought that it was a fee that wouldn't cone of the bill, but a lot of people were willing to jump to the restaurant's defence.

I for one have now looked up the restaurant (that I didn't know existed before) and really want to go ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,424 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't get the cote de beouf, it's not worth it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Is this sneaky viral marketing?
    I don't think anybody bought that it was a fee that wouldn't cone of the bill, but a lot of people were willing to jump to the restaurant's defence.

I for one have now looked up the restaurant (that I didn't know existed before) and really want to go ASAP.

Big +1 to this, I am thinking exactly the same.

Anyone who has not been living under a rock for the last few months would have the savy to know that this is a deposit as opposed to a fee.

Nice marketing gag if it is the case, hats off ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What is it, Two Cooks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

noodler wrote: »
    It's quite obviously a deposit.

You've just misunderstood.

Whilst you never say never, I've never heard of a booking fee for a restaurant.
    Why is it quite obvious that it is a deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Why is it quite obvious that it is a refundable deposit.

because it is written in the ts and cs that wernt read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Emmersonn wrote:
    Why is it quite obvious that it is a deposit.

Because restaurants don't charge fees just to book a table however plenty of restaurants now require a deposit.

As mentioned earlier in the thread we've gone back to the Celtic Tiger trend of booking 4 or 5 restaurants & deciding on one only minutes before the booking time. It's a scumbag thing to do but unfortunately people do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Its hard to read that far down when on your high horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What is it, Two Cooks?

I read that as Two Cocks :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

Query.... what if you book for say 4 and gave €40 deposit. If only 3 could make it on the night.. will the €40 be deducted or only €30!!

My curiosity is wanting me to go there and eat ... but don't want to get caught on 'small print'!!!! I HATE being scammed!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Masala wrote: »
    Query.... what if you book for say 4 and gave €40 deposit. If only 3 could make it on the night.. will the €40 be deducted or only €30!!

My curiosity is wanting me to go there and eat ... but don't want to get caught on 'small print'!!!! I HATE being scammed!!!

How are you being scammed?

If you pay a deposit for 4 and 3 show up, then its correct that only 30 is credited. They would probably let you off with those numbers though. But where do you draw the line...if you book for six and 3 show up or if 10 and 3 show up, is it a scam if they dont allow the deposit be used for the 3.

A small restaurant like that cant afford not to fill the restaurant.

Advertisement