Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace- Old shower pull cord switch with wall socket

Options
  • 30-12-2019 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Looking for some advice. I have an old wiring that terminates on a pull cord switch in the upstairs bathroom. This switch was used to operate an electric shower which has been long replaced by pumped shower and the wiring just terminates at the pull cord switch. The rest wiring has been taken off. I think the wiring is of a RCBO ABB DS941.

I am planning to replace the pull cord switch (from inside of bathroom) to a wall socket in the attic. This will be used to connect couple of attic lights and extractor fan on humidistat, probably might add a pull cord to it. All these will be plugged into the wall socket.

My question
    1. Can a RCBO be used to terminate as a wall socket
    2. Can I legally replace the pull switch to wall socket and will I be covered insurance.
    3. I guess once the lighting and extractor fan terminates on a three pin plug, it will not be conisdered as wiring. May be I am wrong.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Looking for some advice. I have an old wiring that terminates on a pull cord switch in the upstairs bathroom. This switch was used to operate an electric shower which has been long replaced by pumped shower and the wiring just terminates at the pull cord switch. The rest wiring has been taken off. I think the wiring is of a RCBO ABB DS941.

I am planning to replace the pull cord switch (from inside of bathroom) to a wall socket in the attic. This will be used to connect couple of attic lights and extractor fan on humidistat, probably might add a pull cord to it. All these will be plugged into the wall socket.

My question
    1. Can a RCBO be used to terminate as a wall socket
    2. Can I legally replace the pull switch to wall socket and will I be covered insurance.
    3. I guess once the lighting and extractor fan terminates on a three pin plug, it will not be conisdered as wiring. May be I am wrong.

Thanks.

I think only a REC can do the work you want done as the socket will be in the bathroom.

Most likely your RCBO is a 40 AMP RCBO & this would need to be changed for sockets as 40amp is too high. Only a REC can replace the RCBO.

Time to call in a REC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mexicanking

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think only a REC can do the work you want done as the socket will be in the bathroom.

Most likely your RCBO is a 40 AMP RCBO & this would need to be changed for sockets as 40amp is too high. Only a REC can replace the RCBO.

Time to call in a REC :)

Thanks.

Googled DS941 it shows up as 25 A. Is it still too high?
    I was planning to pull the wire off the ceiling in the bathoom and fix it on the concrete wall in the attic on a surface box. The attic is not converted. Can this be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thanks.

Googled DS941 it shows up as 25 A. Is it still too high?
    I was planning to pull the wire off the ceiling in the bathoom and fix it on the concrete wall in the attic on a surface box. The attic is not converted. Can this be done?

An electric shower would have tripped a 25A regularly so something is odd with your setup.

You will definitely need a REC one way or another

EDIT: I'm getting 32 amp & 40 Amp on a Google search & that makes more sense. Can you post a photo of the RCBO?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mexicanking

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    An electric shower would have tripped a 25A regularly so something is odd with your setup.

You will definitely need a REC one way or another

EDIT: I'm getting 32 amp & 40 Amp on a Google search & that makes more sense. Can you post a photo of the RCBO?

You are right, the first result that showed up was 25 A for me. I had a look again and its DS941 40B, so definitely very high. Spot on.

I will get a REC and get the whole lot wired properly. Thanks for prompt response.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

It is doable. but there will be work needed on the fuse board and you might be better off having an sub board in the attic for your lights and sockets. Get a registered electrician in for the works needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

keithdub wrote: »
    It is doable. but there will be work needed on the fuse board and you might be better off having an sub board in the attic for your lights and sockets. Get a registered electrician in for the works needed

Sub board is not permitted in an attic. Agree you need a rec

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    Sub board is not permitted in an attic.

.......unless the attic is converted into a room :)

Would high level on the landing do? It's been a few years since I've done any of that work, or will it have to be at low level?

Would a flod down ladder class the attic as a room?

Would high level on the landing do? It's been a few years since I've done any of that work, or will it have to be at low level?

All db should be max height 2.25m

• Advertisement

Would a flod down ladder class the attic as a room?

No

Advertisement