Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info for first time dads

Options
  • 30-12-2019 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Can anyone recommend any good reading for first time dads? We don't have a lot of friends/family who are parents so dont have much experience with teeny babies and I have a feeling my husband is in for a bit of a wake up call when baby arrives.

Anything you'd recommend for a first timer who thinks it will all be a breeze?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin is a good read - it's mostly around the actual giving birth bit though, not necessarily afterwards though if that is what you are more aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

I was given ‘pregnancy for men’ by mark woods. Although its a guide for pregnancy opposed to parenting it is a good start and a enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

Never mind a book. He will be grand. You learn as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Holly13

baldbear wrote: »

Yes defo, but is he used to a good night’s sleep?
    If so maybe emphasis the fact that this will change big time🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

baldbear wrote: »

I agree with this.

Somehow you just learn.

And this is from someone who has 4 (older) sisters who all had kids before I had kids. I always had kids and babies around me, and wouldn't you think this worked to my benefit. Nope. Not at all. Sh'tting it beyond belief when the first baby was on the way. Still held babies awkwardly and was delighted to hand them back to my sister as I was scared I'd drop the child.

Amazingly when it is your own baby you just learn.

And remember, you won't change that nappy. That nappy will change you.

If you are late for work, just tell your manager the child had a bad nappy. No further questions will be asked.

And best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

I am a first time dad in the last six months. You be surprised what you remember if you have younger siblings when they were younger.

It's a huge learning curve but common sense prevails. A routine is key to success. I was like every new parent, got to feed every three hours etc.

And by week 8 we had our new born sleeping through the night, and still do. Goes to bed at 10pm and we have to wake at 8am.

Remember every family is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Vaquita wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any good reading for first time dads? We don't have a lot of friends/family who are parents so dont have much experience with teeny babies and I have a feeling my husband is in for a bit of a wake up call when baby arrives.

Anything you'd recommend for a first timer who thinks it will all be a breeze?

Sweet lord you must have a great relationship with your husband, God help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Father of five here...learn as you go! And good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Instincts and pre-learned information from siblings/own childhood etc will kick in. However, the following is a good guide for both parents. https://www.easons.com/what-to-expect-the-first-year-heidi-eisenberg-murkoff-9781471172090?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl5zpj_rg5gIVmKztCh3auwHFEAQYASABEgJsYPD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Father of four, books didn't prepare me for the reality. In saying that, the book my wife bought me for the first time had "during the third trimester you may want to start taking some of the household tasks such as hoovering from your wife as she may be uncomfortable doing them". She was disgusted when I referenced that to avoid hoovering in trimester 2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Don't bother about books, just help as much as humanly possible. I read everything I could get my hands on and it was all either useless or irrelevant. Just do everything you can and you'll get the hang of it very quickly.

And the mammy is always right. Remember that and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

1. Antenatal classes in your hospital.

2. https://www2.hse.ie/my-child/

3. * Apparently New born nanny on Instagram is good

4. mid wives will teach you loads in the few days after birth.

5. The mother will do most of it and you can just do what you’re told * edit. Just noticed the mother is the OP.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I tried to think of a book that might help, and there just isn't one.
    I could name a few alright but honestly, you (and he) can read it all in a book but there is nothing that can prepare you for the reality.It will.mean very little to him until that baby is in his arms.And all babies are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

shesty wrote: »
    you (and he) can read it all in a book but there is nothing that can prepare you for the reality.

Very true! We had a bad case of role-reversal with our first - MrsCR read every book, went to every ante-natal class possible, and could list the price of everything in Mothercare. I did some of the ante-natal classes but was a bit Dara O'Briain about the whole thing. Other than that, I had no memory of ever having handled an infant.

Then SonNo.1 arrived. Having carried him for two hot summer weeks longer than her due date, and a long labour, MrsCR wasn't feeling too great, so he was handed over to me for everything other than feeding. I realised it was just like having a cat and never looked back! :cool:

I reckon if you get your husband to read this thread, that'll cover the basics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

All I can say is life will never be the same again from a full night of sleep perspective, I think if I git a full night of sleep now it would be a severe shock to the system. I’m heading for baby number 8. My eldest is still in primary school

Advertisement