Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Annie Power?

Oh yeah :D

In fairness though, his reason for not entering her beforehand was because the same trainer/owner combination had the defending champ who was a short price to follow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Who is this years Espoir Dallene and this years Al Boum Photo?
    Horses everyone knows are good horses, horses in the betting but not in the conversation....
    Horses who could shock us all....

Couer Sublime and Monalee!

THEY JUST WIN!
    Couer sublime might place in the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

This place is an absolute loony bin.

Unfortunately I think it's just the nature of the game, all the decent horse racing forums have disappeared over the years simply because its such a divisive sport that's predominantly based on opinions and for some reason most of the top fans are shall we say bullish!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭MaxBet

Earendil wrote: »
    Don't start being a tool will ye. We've already heaps of them on the Horse Racing board.

Won’t reply to this here and drag it up again so I sent you a pm ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Have ye booked the week of work yet folks

I have it booked off for the rest of my life no chance me ever working that week again if I can help it. Last time I tried to work it was about 10 years ago it was a failure and way too stressful didn’t get a tap done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Booked it off soon as chrustmas was over
    Priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Annie Power?

Mon the Roge!

Aramon is a gift.

For the CH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭famagusta

Slattsy wrote:
    Been digging into the RSA today. I've come to the conclusion that Champ just wins it.

yaboya1 wrote:
    Really liked Allaho's jumping on his debut, but he still managed to get beaten and both himself and Minella Indo have only run in two beginners chases each and are 2nd & 3rd in the betting. I think there could be an upset here. Just need to find the one who's going to do it.

Champ is the one fav that I really want to take on. Dont think he jumps well enough or settles well enough and I'm not convinced he'll fully stay the trip. I actually think 2m5f would suit him a lot better and I'd run him there!

What to take him on with? I think allaho runs here alright, maybe easy game will run too. Either way, after them two and minella indo, the field is pretty weak. I've a few bob on minella indo and allaho already and will tip away on them until the off, I know they're short of experience but they're the classiest horses in the race. Allaho will be closer to 5/1 if he turns up here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Champ probably the worst priced horse of the festival, or one of them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Earendil wrote: »
    For the CH?

The one on the Friday imo

Is nobody worried about the trip in the RSA for Allaho? Cut out fairly badly at the end of the Albert Bartlett last year. Maybe he'll be fine with another year under his belt, but at his current price you really don't want question marks like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Oh yes.... half days for the first 3 days and off the Friday... Will work at home Tues/Wed so finish up by 12 at the latest... Thursday a group of us go out from work and Friday I'll be perched up on a seat by 12.30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Oh yeah :D

In fairness though, his reason for not entering her beforehand was because the same trainer/owner combination had the defending champ who was a short price to follow up.

Saldier and Sharjah were/are the owners Champion Hurdle horses until two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Money markets seem to lean JLT for Allaho. I've Allaho backed for the RSA as some will know. Must be question marks whether he stays. I think the RSA is more winnable tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Is nobody worried about the trip in the RSA for Allaho? Cut out fairly badly at the end of the Albert Bartlett last year. Maybe he'll be fine with another year under his belt, but at his current price you really don't want question marks like that.

I think he's Marsh bound and Faugheen and Easy game go to the RSA. Willie generally sends his RSA horse to the Flogas beforehand. Al Boum Photo, Belshill,Adrianna Des Mottes, Ballycasey and Boston Bob have all gone down the same route in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

What are peoples thoughts on cash back overturning the form with Notebook ?
    i thought with a better jockey it would have won at leopardstown but would rather back him at the prices at cheltenham

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Finished work March 5th and not back till the 18th. Swung it well

Morgans wrote: »
    Saldier and Sharjah were/are the owners Champion Hurdle horses until two weeks ago.

Neither were short priced favs though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

carq wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on cash back overturning the form with Notebook ?
    i thought with a better jockey it would have won at leopardstown but would rather back him at the prices at cheltenham

I think neither of them covered themselves in glory at last years festival, Notebook tailed off in the Ballymore and Cash Back did not go. No 8 year old winner since Sizing Europe. Cash back can win it, but he has only run 6 times since France in 2017, does he have the experience for an Arkle? To put this in perspective last years Arkle was run 1 second slower than both the Supreme Novice and the Champion Hurdle, albeit over a 100 yards less distance. My point is that they don't jog around.

Itchy Feet was only 5 lengths 3rd in last years Supreme, I would love to see him run here. I also thought Rouge Vif jumped like a buck at Warwick on Saturday. The back stretch at Warwick has five of the most difficult fences in the game, so that is good form. Either of these is running in the Arkle.

• Advertisement

The one on the Friday imo

Ah. Not entered yet.

Neither were short priced favs though.

They were the champion hurdle horses and seen and hoped to have better chances, by connections, than Benie des Dieux to win the champion hurdle.

I think he's Marsh bound and Faugheen and Easy game go to the RSA. Willie generally sends his RSA horse to the Flogas beforehand. Al Boum Photo, Belshill,Adrianna Des Mottes, Ballycasey and Boston Bob have all gone down the same route in recent years.

I think there is a greater than 50% chance that Faugheen misses Cheltenham. Especially given WPMs comments after his Leop win. Id go Powers Gold Cup and then Punchestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Faugheen gets retired at the end of the season, he deserves one more go at Cheltenham

Faugheen gets retired at the end of the season, he deserves one more go at Cheltenham

Email/Phone Willie

Morgans wrote: »
    I think there is a greater than 50% chance that Faugheen misses Cheltenham. Especially given WPMs comments after his Leop win. Id go Powers Gold Cup and then Punchestown.

Same owner/trainer have Annamix for the Fairyhouse race?

I think Faugheen only goes to Cheltenham if WPM thinks he will win. I dont see him jumping quick enough for the Marsh and doesnt stay well enough for the RSA. I dont think he will run on good ground also. I think Willie sees it similarly. "This race [the flogas] was his Gold Cup". Whether Faugheen "deserves" to go to Cheltenham is irrelevant and I dont think will be in connections' minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Margate

allaho was nver a hurdler , a different beast over fences

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Is Samcro gonna go or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Defi for champion chase confirmed

• Advertisement

Min "just wins" the Ryanair now, doesnt he :D

4 weeks and 39 mins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

As long as frodon doesn’t win. Nothing against the horse but itv creamed themselves when he won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Slattsy wrote: »
    Min "just wins" the Ryanair now, doesnt he :D

Be a good race vs A Plus Tard and they have close form lines via Chacun now, Min would have won a supreme and QMCC if no Altior and as we seen last season A Plus Tard won at the track and trip so is proven round there.

madmoose wrote: »
    Be a good race vs A Plus Tard and they have close form lines via Chacun now, Min would have won a supreme and QMCC if no Altior and as we seen last season A Plus Tard won at the track and trip so is proven round there.

Its a great looking race on paper. Its between Min and A plus Tard anyway, in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Has anyone heard anything around Farouk D'Alene? On at big prices for the bumper but saw bet365 have pushed to 33s, despite everyone else around 12/14s. Had assumed he would not go but hadn't really heard anything mentioned since. Looked very impressive over Christmas, and I know O'leary couldn't give a sniff about the bumper but he has sent a horse to the bumper the last few years.

wardides wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything around Farouk D'Alene? On at big prices for the bumper but saw bet365 have pushed to 33s, despite everyone else around 12/14s. Had assumed he would not go but hadn't really heard anything mentioned since. Looked very impressive over Christmas, and I know O'leary couldn't give a sniff about the bumper but he has sent a horse to the bumper the last few years.

It has as good a chance as any of them. The bumper is a massive lottery as far as I can see. Total pin job.

The mares novice hurdle is worse.

You will hear more shight talk over the next 4 weeks than you will be able to stomach. Watch out for unadulterated waffle such as,

" won't be beaten"
    " hacks up by half a furlong ears pricked"
    " absolute machine"
    " Willie said she is the best he has ever seen"
    " I will have one for you next week, PM me"

Any of the above and drink your money instead, you will thank me for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

wardides wrote: »

Just depends whether he makes the cut for the couple they will run, as you said it's a race they don't like.

The Mig wrote: »
    Is Samcro gonna go or what?

Yes he goes. Arkle most likely.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think neither of them covered themselves in glory at last years festival, Notebook tailed off in the Ballymore and Cash Back did not go. No 8 year old winner since Sizing Europe. Cash back can win it, but he has only run 6 times since France in 2017, does he have the experience for an Arkle? To put this in perspective last years Arkle was run 1 second slower than both the Supreme Novice and the Champion Hurdle, albeit over a 100 yards less distance. My point is that they don't jog around.

Itchy Feet was only 5 lengths 3rd in last years Supreme, I would love to see him run here. I also thought Rouge Vif jumped like a buck at Warwick on Saturday. The back stretch at Warwick has five of the most difficult fences in the game, so that is good form. Either of these is running in the Arkle.

How can Cash Back not cover himself in glory when he didn't even run? In terms of experience for the Arkle he has ran over fences three times, no less than any of the last five winners. Western Warhorse won it off one chase run before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It has as good a chance as any of them. The bumper is a massive lottery as far as I can see. Total pin job.

The mares novice hurdle is worse.

You will hear more shight talk over the next 4 weeks than you will be able to stomach. Watch out for unadulterated waffle such as,

" won't be beaten"
    " hacks up by half a furlong ears pricked"
    " absolute machine"
    " Willie said she is the best he has ever seen"
    " I will have one for you next week, PM me"

Any of the above and drink your money instead, you will thank me for it.

Certainly not a lottery but do take on board your point. Find it almost impossible to back something unless track side in a bumper, but had to take a shot at this lad at big prices. All the talk is that he’s a very good strong type, so if he went to bumper I’d expect him to go off single prices.

Big issue now, as you said, it’s preview circuit time so we’re going to hear some ****e spouted over the coming weeks. Good things, plot jobs, the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

lemush wrote: »
    How can Cash Back not cover himself in glory when he didn't even run? In terms of experience for the Arkle he has ran over fences three times, no less than any of the last five winners. Western Warhorse won it off one chase run before that.

Cash Back didn't go as he only had his first run a week before Cheltenham last year through no fault of the horse. Was bought to be a chaser anyway. Hopfully he goes well and the hill suits rather than stifles his chances. Notebook didnt exactly enjoy Cheltenham last year (i know it was over hurdles,distance etc etc)...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Lads I'm in the US for Gold Cup day. Whats the best way of watching the races?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Moon Dice wrote: »

Television probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Loads of cheap/free VPNs and ITV have a live player, I'm in Belgium and it's how I watch every Saturday

• Advertisement

Hola on Google Chrome will do the job. Then use ITV or RTE live streams (probably need to create an account). Failing that... find an Irish pub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Get a RTV subscription and watch it on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Just looking through the stayers hurdle assuming BDD doesn’t run, the field looks very week, if the cap fits not going either,

Summerville boy @ 7 NRNB
    Looks to have a great chance was highly impressed with his run behind pp the last day after he led all the way

Penhill @ 10s NRNB
    Haven’t heard any reports from WPM and he was far from impressive in Gowran but he’s has lit up Cheltenham twice

Dark horse maybe city island??

stretchaq wrote: »
    Just looking through the stayers hurdle assuming BDD doesn’t run, the field looks very week, if the cap fits not going either,

Summerville boy @ 7 NRNB
    Looks to have a great chance was highly impressed with his run behind pp the last day after he led all the way

Penhill @ 10s NRNB
    Haven’t heard any reports from WPM and he was far from impressive in Gowran but he’s has lit up Cheltenham twice

Dark horse maybe city island??

Can't have Summerville Boy, got gifted a freebie the last day and absolutely crawled. Bar the jolly and the Fry horse who ran no race it was a field well short of going close in the stayers. Won't place in a truly run 3m hurdle imo esp with a freebie up front v unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

lemush wrote: »
    Can't have Summerville Boy, got gifted a freebie the last day and absolutely crawled. Bar the jolly and the Fry horse who ran no race it was a field well short of going close in the stayers. Won't place in a truly run 3m hurdle imo esp with a freebie up front v unlikely.

Good points in fairness a lot of horses in the market won’t run though has to be value there somewhere PP at 8/11 is too short although he is most likely winner

• Advertisement
Advertisement