Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham 2020

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

They should supplement Tiger Roll for the Stayers hurdle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Paisley park is as close to a cert as you will get at the festival, will be extremely hard to beat

this time last year nobody would listen to me , after his win at ascot i called him for the stayers at decent prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

akelly02 wrote: »
    Paisley park is as close to a cert as you will get at the festival, will be extremely hard to beat

this time last year nobody would listen to me , after his win at ascot i called him for the stayers at decent prices
    If Benie goes here PP will his fill of it I suspect. Would be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

I do not see a single "sure thing" this year

People saying BDD in the mares is a sure thing, when Honeysuckle will probably run there are mad! I mean, I would back her, but a sure thing, v Honeysuckle! Doesn't fit with my definition!
    Similarly, if BDD goes Stayers then PP is absolutely not a sure thing, not atall!

The only way I see any sure things, is, if Honeysuckle goes CH, leaving the Mares a penalty kick for Beni, or of Beni goes Stayers, leaving the Mares a penalty kick for Honeysuckle, or if Beni doesn't go Stayers, leaving that race a penalty kick for PP

If any of that makes sense!!! :)
    Either way, I can't see, right now, anything that's a sure thing, atall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

If Benie goes here PP will his fill of it I suspect. Would be a cracker.

i dont want to see it because they are my two favourite horses in training..

getting 7 pounds BDD would be hard to beat . But paisley park has so much in hand everytime its hard to know exactly how good he is.

a real head scratcher !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Disagree...

horse-racing-shutterstock-editorial-10518388b.jpg

Worthwhile setting up a Best Bet thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Worthwhile setting up a Best Bet thread?

Yes, and worst?

The days of aa thread per race is well and truly gone.

I see bet365 are in the process of shortening everything, have they gone NRNB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Or the Champion hurdle

• Advertisement

Disagree...

horse-racing-shutterstock-editorial-10518388b.jpg

I am a believer, but...Samcro, same yard, same hype, I hope to God it hacks up, but, this all seems very familiar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Latest scratchings today for the championship races and mares hurdle have just come out.

People saying BDD in the mares is a sure thing, when Honeysuckle will probably run there are mad! I mean, I would back her, but a sure thing, v Honeysuckle! Doesn't fit with my definition!
    Similarly, if BDD goes Stayers then PP is absolutely not a sure thing, not atall!

The only way I see any sure things, is, if Honeysuckle goes CH, leaving the Mares a penalty kick for Beni, or of Beni goes Stayers, leaving the Mares a penalty kick for Honeysuckle, or if Beni doesn't go Stayers, leaving that race a penalty kick for PP

If any of that makes sense!!! :)
    Either way, I can't see, right now, anything that's a sure thing, atall

Your making sense at last Roger, nice one.

I think backing mares around spring time is chaos. Look at Apples Jade the last few years. If they come into season you could be screwed altogether. The bookies are laughing, they have them priced up on their winter form and the fact is that mares are more volatile to back than your average gelding. Just look at the amount of dosh the bookies got out of Apples Jade and Laurina last year.

One year later they have two different mares in the mix again. The bookies are doing cartwheels on punters niggling at Antepost and scratching their heads over where they run, they love it.

Your making sense at last Roger, nice one.

I think backing mares around spring time is chaos. Look at Apples Jade the last few years. If they come into season you could be screwed altogether. The bookies are laughing, they have them priced up on their winter form and the fact is that mares are more volatile to back than your average gelding. Just look at the amount of dosh the bookies got out of Apples Jade and Laurina last year.

One year later they have two different mares in the mix again. The bookies are doing cartwheels on punters niggling at Antepost and scratching their heads over where they run, they love it.

You cheeky mare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

madmoose wrote: »
    Latest scratchings today for the championship races and mares hurdle have just come out.

Linky please MM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I am a believer, but...Samcro, same yard, same hype, I hope to God it hacks up, but, this all seems very familiar!!!

Samcro won though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭jj mac

He has to run in a chase to qualify for the national, and the cross country is that chase

jj mac wrote: »
    He has to run in a chase to qualify for the national, and the cross country is that chase

He is not running in the national. How do you think he is going to give Burrows Saint a stone over 4 miles?

They should supplement him for the Gold Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

He is not running in the national. How do you think he is going to give Burrows Saint a stone over 4 miles?

I always said he would hold his own in the gold Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

Have Wolf Prince backed antepost for the boodles as one of my strong fancies, he's currently off 136 with the cut off at 140, what do ye reckon the english handicapper might give him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Margate

Pretty clear why there's bugger all winners put up here, talking of tiger roll in the gold cup for gods sake and this is from a huge fan of the horse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Croll wrote: »
    Have Wolf Prince backed antepost for the boodles as one of my strong fancies, he's currently off 136 with the cut off at 140, what do ye reckon the english handicapper might give him?

Is 140 the cut off as last season Torpillo ran in the race off 141??

Margate wrote: »
    Pretty clear why there's bugger all winners put up here, talking of tiger roll in the gold cup for gods sake and this is from a huge fan of the horse

According to the handicapper he is rated the same as Delta Work.

• Advertisement

madmoose wrote: »
    Is 140 the cut off as last season Torpillo ran in the race off 141??

Yeah your right actually good spot, usually top weight is around the 140 mark anyways but must not be the cut off. Cant imagine the english handicapper will be too generous anyways but if he got a mark of 140 I would be confident he runs there

Slattsy wrote: »
    I see bet365 are in the process of shortening everything, have they gone NRNB?

Just went NRNB there in the last while along with PP.

Footpad out too, what is Willie doing?? :)

Footpad NR for festival
    Prob makes little difference now anyways unfortunately

Just went NRNB there in the last while along with PP.

Yeah i seen that, prices slashed quicker than a Harvey Norman sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Not only run, he has to finish in the top 4.
    Would be a fair risk going for the Gold Cup in that scenario, given placing in that race is nowhere near as likely as the cross country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Not only run, he has to finish in the top 4.
    Would be a fair risk going for the Gold Cup in that scenario, given placing in that race is nowhere near as likely as the cross country.

As far as I know that's not the case, just needs to finish a chase start

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭jj mac

The o'learys are not going to turn down the chance to win the national 3 years in a row imo. He's top weight because he's a two time winner and I reckon he would beat burrows saint in the national giving him a stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Rochey18 wrote: »
    As far as I know that's not the case, just needs to finish a chase start

This is correct. You need to be placed in a chase start but it doesn't have to be that year. Which he already has done. He only needs to come under starters orders in a chase to qualify now. In theory they don't even need to jump a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

It’s for the 4m at Cheltenham that you have to be placed in a race over 2m 5f I think open to correction though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The 4 miler is the one you need to finish in the top 4 of a 3m+ chase.

The National you need to have ran in a 3m+ chase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

You need to have been placed in the top 4 of a 3mile+ chase at some point however there is no date range so he already meets that criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

There's no cut-off point for the Boodles. Only three of the handicaps at the festival have a max rating and they are the Novices Handicap Chase, the Kim Muir and the Martin Pipe Hurdle. Max rating for those three races is 145.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Not a fan of ante post betting unless there is good evidence a horse will contest a particular race,should go off at a lower price, its NRNB which is commonplace nowdays.

I backed one today whose profile is the opposite of what we normally look for,i.e young and unexposed.

REMILUC is a horse i often back and after his recent very good run i put 15 euro ew on at 33s 5 places in the County Hurdle.He likes the place a lot and even aged 11 i believe he will give a good account.

CORMACREYN wrote: »
    There's no cut-off point for the Boodles. Only three of the handicaps at the festival have a max rating and they are the Novices Handicap Chase, the Kim Muir and the Martin Pipe Hurdle. Max rating for those three races is 145.
    Cheers Cormac, wasnt sure exactly which handicaps had cut-offs and which didn't and it's hard to find info on them anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Cheers Cormac, wasnt sure exactly which handicaps had cut-offs and which didn't and it's hard to find info on them anywhere.

https://dkgm08yz51nav.cloudfront.net/WEBFILES/1228337-444409.pdf

That link is from last year's official release of the weights. It has details of the max field size, any age restrictions, potential rating restrictions in the blurb above the entries for each race. Handy guide for future reference.

Tiger Roll has to have completed the X Country to get into the National

Would make you slightly nervous backing him as they may just look to get around, not worry about winning it, just make sure you finish it, ride very carefully and be vulnerable to something coming to win

Best website out there to search a horse that will clearly state their current handicap mark?and I mean clearly and identifiable easily!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Not a fan of ante post betting unless there is good evidence a horse will contest a particular race,should go off at a lower price, its NRNB which is commonplace nowdays.

I backed one today whose profile is the opposite of what we normally look for,i.e young and unexposed.

REMILUC is a horse i often back and after his recent very good run i put 15 euro ew on at 33s 5 places in the County Hurdle.He likes the place a lot and even aged 11 i believe he will give a good account.

Great run the last time
    any other options for his besides the county ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭zimmermania

carq wrote: »
    Great run the last time
    any other options for his besides the county ?

The county is his race.

CORMACREYN wrote: »
    https://dkgm08yz51nav.cloudfront.net/WEBFILES/1228337-444409.pdf

That link is from last year's official release of the weights. It has details of the max field size, any age restrictions, potential rating restrictions in the blurb above the entries for each race. Handy guide for future reference.
    Ideal, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭maximo31

Best website out there to search a horse that will clearly state their current handicap mark?and I mean clearly and identifiable easily!! :)

Have a look at irishracing.com. They even have a visual graph for you to use....might suit your needs.

maximo31 wrote: »
    Have a look at irishracing.com. They even have a visual graph for you to use....might suit your needs.

Yeah my current go to site, seems to be the best of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

https://www.hri-ras.ie/ihrb-handicap-ratings/full-nh-ratings/

• Advertisement

Pubs in Dublin city for the Thursday that would have a good bit of atmosphere? Group of us go from work for pints and to watch it, last year was the Gin Palace as it's a stones throw from our office but looking for somewhere a bit more of a racing crowd.

Advertisement