Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham 2020

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Pubs in Dublin city for the Thursday that would have a good bit of atmosphere? Group of us go from work for pints and to watch it, last year was the Gin Palace as it's a stones throw from our office but looking for somewhere a bit more of a racing crowd.

Toners if your south side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Toners if your south side.

Bit out of the way I think, we're around Jervis St so ideally northside or maybe up towards to Camden St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Bit out of the way I think, we're around Jervis St so ideally northside or maybe up towards to Camden St.

Someone mentioned the Oval to me once Gav
    Finger food, racing on the screen etc

I don't be around that part of town much tbh Shels. But if you are with a work gang the best thing is to get a decent boozer near a bookies, simple really.

I would say the gin Palace is as good as any pub.

Another good one on the southside is the Lombard on Westland row, great food and nice smoking area. PP next door.

Did you think about Parnell Street? They give a free claw hammer in O'Reillys with every 3rd pint of Guinness... always comes in handy later on:P.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Sackville lounge is back open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Get in the Sack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Tiger Roll has to have completed the X Country to get into the National

Would make you slightly nervous backing him as they may just look to get around, not worry about winning it, just make sure you finish it, ride very carefully and be vulnerable to something coming to win

This is not correct he only needs to come under starters orders to be qualified. In theory they could pull him up before the first fence.

The handicaps are all fairly obvious this year, the Grade 1s are the harder races to call :D

BoldReason wrote: »
    This is not correct he only needs to come under starters orders to be qualified. In theory they could pull him up before the first fence.

That for definite?
    Thought i heard he had to complete??

I don't be around that part of town much tbh Shels. But if you are with a work gang the best thing is to get a decent boozer near a bookies, simple really.

I would say the gin Palace is as good as any pub.

Another good one on the southside is the Lombard on Westland row, great food and nice smoking area. PP next door.

Did you think about Parnell Street? They give a free claw hammer in O'Reillys with every 3rd pint of Guinness... always comes in handy later on:P.

Listen to the culchie talking about Dublin pubs.....Gangster!!!
    :P

• Advertisement

That for definite?
    Thought i heard he had to complete??

Yes. The rules are you have to have been placed in top 4 in at least 1 chase over 3miles or more. Need to have run in at least 3 chases. Neither of these first 2 have a time frame so he already meets both of those.
    He also needs to have run in 1 chase in that season. There is no stipulation as to where he needs to finish in the rule. So coming under starters orders will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Footpad sold to an American crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

Slattsy wrote: »
    The handicaps are all fairly obvious this year, the Grade 1s are the harder races to call :D
    Does seem that way so far, whats your biggest handicap fancies for the festival?

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Footpad sold to an American crowd

Christ :eek::(:(
    After the Arkle 2 years ago he was the toast of the 2m chase world
    Bloody hell

No Road to Cheltenham this week IAMAMORON ?
    No sign of it on the listings......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Someone mentioned the Oval to me once Gav
    Finger food, racing on the screen etc

No Rog, they don't even have RacingTV....or didn't when I was last in there...2018 I think.

@Gav, the Sackville as already mentioned. The dame tavern always gets a mention...I was in there last year and not that impressed to be honest.

Lovely pint of Guinness in the Dame all the same. Definitely a racing pub and bookies next door.

Earendil wrote: »
    No Rog, they don't even have RacingTV....or didn't when I was last in there...2018 I think.

@Gav, the Sackville as already mentioned. The dame tavern always gets a mention...I was in there last year and not that impressed to be honest.

Full of cúnts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Slattsy wrote: »
    Full of cúnts.

That was just the day I was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dame Tavern be uncomfortable... could be 12 or so of us. Going to head up to Camden St I think as that's normally where I do be, plenty of options pub wise and bookie wise.

• Advertisement

Dame Tavern be uncomfortable... could be 12 or so of us. Going to head up to Camden St I think as that's normally where I do be, plenty of options pub wise and bookie wise.

Ooh look at you with your 12 friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I see Greaneteen is out again tomorrow for Nichols. I know he hasn't beaten much but for a novice he is some slick jumper of a fence. He is 66-1 to win the arkle. Anyone else been monitoring this fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭spuddiesal

He is not running in the national. How do you think he is going to give Burrows Saint a stone over 4 miles?

They should supplement him for the Gold Cup.

How do you know Burrows can stay that distance? And also jump around them fences?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vautours Ghost

The nightclub/bar place called The Camden always has racing tv on some of their smaller screens.

I presume they're open for the festival, I heard their main screen is the biggest of its kind in europe.

It is absolutely massive (screen & venue).

Might be worth giving them a ring and seeing what the craic is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

spuddiesal wrote: »
    How do you know Burrows can stay that distance? And also jump around them fences?

Not to mention the fact Tiger is officially rated 21lbs superior.

spuddiesal wrote: »

I have a hunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Meant to post this a few days ago but forgot: Paddy Power are NRNB for all races at Cheltenham now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Whats the verdict on last seasons Triumph?
    Pentland Hills hasn't set the world on fire, not has Coeur Sublime. Tiger Tap Tap remains a novice bu I can't have him against this crop of novices. But Pic D'orhy,who was well beaten, was a decent winner of the Betfair under second top weight. I'm gonna say no, that they are'nt as good as the older horses. In fact, all of last years novice hurdlers were mediocre. It'll be a battle hardened older horse that wins the Champion Hurdle I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I fancy ballyandy to go well in the champion hurdle . It’s that bad!

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I fancy ballyandy to go well in the champion hurdle . It’s that bad!

Get out......

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Cilios emery added to champion hurdle field €22,500, 7/1 on bet 365 not sure how I feel about this can be certain BDD will not go there anyway now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Best of a bad bunch

To put things in perspective Hurricane Fly won his champion hurdles off 172.

Epatante is rated 150. If they raced in the County the Fly would have to give Epatante 22bs, or 1 1/2 stone.

I cannot believe they have Epatante favourite, she has only had 5 runs :eek::eek: She is almost 20lbs off your standard Champion Hurdle winner rating. Horse might well be improving, but she will need to. As a caveat to her ratings deficiency you have her flop at last years festival. Where is Nicky Henderson going to find the 20lbs?

Hardy Eustace was 167. 17 lbs
    Macs Joy 167 ( didn't win it) 17 lbs
    Brave Inca 167
    Faugheen 168
    Annie Power 162

The only deviation from this standard is Sublimity, who was only 137, but in fairness could have been backed before his prep at 66's. He was sublime.

I am astonished that trainers are not pricking their ears at this open goal of a champion hurdle.

I am beginning to get my head around the likes of Petit Mouchoir, Supasundae, Thomas Darby. I don't think Ballyandy is out of it either.

Mullins' one that won on Saturday must have some sort of chance too. Says a lot about Chacun PS..

Two I like at the moment are Supasundae, particularly if the ground is soft, and Coeur Sublime, who I think has had a wind op and isn't far off Pentland Hill from last year.

Mullins' one that won on Saturday must have some sort of chance too. Says a lot about Chacun PS..

Two I like at the moment are Supasundae, particularly if the ground is soft, and Coeur Sublime, who I think has had a wind op and isn't far off Pentland Hill from last year.

• Advertisement

To put things in perspective Hurricane Fly won his champion hurdles off 172.

Epatante is rated 150. If they raced in the County the Fly would have to give Epatante 22bs, or 1 1/2 stone.

I cannot believe they have Epatante favourite, she has only had 5 runs :eek::eek: She is almost 20lbs off your standard Champion Hurdle winner rating. Horse might well be improving, but she will need to. As a caveat to her ratings deficiency you have her flop at last years festival. Where is Nicky Henderson going to find the 20lbs?

Hardy Eustace was 167. 17 lbs
    Macs Joy 167 ( didn't win it) 17 lbs
    Brave Inca 167
    Faugheen 168
    Annie Power 162

The only deviation from this standard is Sublimity, who was only 137, but in fairness could have been backed before his prep at 66's. He was sublime.

I am astonished that trainers are not pricking their ears at this open goal of a champion hurdle.

I am beginning to get my head around the likes of Petit Mouchoir, Supasundae, Thomas Darby. I don't think Ballyandy is out of it either.

10 of the last 12 winners were rated 162 or higher. This years field is quite weak with only Sharjah meeting the 162 threshold. However your Epatante rating is incorrect, she is rated 159 now, was 150 before the Xmas hurdle.

lemush wrote: »
    10 of the last 12 winners were rated 162 or higher. This years field is quite weak with only Sharjah meeting the 162 threshold. However your Epatante rating is incorrect, she is rated 159 now, was 150 before the Xmas hurdle.

Your correct, I had given her rating before the Christmas Hurdle. Fair point. Who decided that she goes up 9 lbs for the Christmas hurdle win?

https://www.racingpost.com/profile/horse/1721440/epatante/form

Your correct, I had given her rating before the Christmas Hurdle. Fair point. Who decided that she goes up 9 lbs for the Christmas hurdle win?

https://www.racingpost.com/profile/horse/1721440/epatante/form

Not only did her give her a 9lb rise but he upgraded Silver Streak by 5lbs and Ballyandy by 3lb. Handicapper has a higher opinion of the form than I have anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Ballyadam was backed for the champion bumper into 2nd favorite This week before it ran today it’s now out to 20/1

I liked queens brook on Saturday though the heavy ground likely exaggerated the winning distance

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Epatante will also receive the 7lbs mares allowance which brings her up to the mid 160's in terms of ratings vs the geldings.

Anything that can run up to 165ish will probably win it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

what was espoir d'allen before its run last year ?

CORMACREYN wrote: »
    Epatante will also receive the 7lbs mares allowance which brings her up to the mid 160's in terms of ratings vs the geldings.

Anything that can run up to 165ish will probably win it this year.

Yes after lemush pointed out that I was 9lbs wrong it does give her her more of a squeak. But given her age and experience I still think it is a squeak. I think she needs to improve again to win it, and you don't want to be backing favourites who need to improve.

carq wrote: »

159, but it is worth noting his form was good. He gave a half stone and a beating to Wicklow brave, who arguably should have won the Coral Cup, off top weight.

But still low enough.

Yes after lemush pointed out that I was 9lbs wrong it does give her her more of a squeak. But given her age and experience I still think it is a squeak. I think she needs to improve again to win it, and you don't want to be backing favourites who need to improve.

Technically she is the best in the field when you take into account the weight allowance. So really she does not need to improve a bit to win it according to the handicapper.

She is the correct fav in my mind. Couldn't find one that I'd have ahead of her in the betting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

carq wrote: »

A run to 165 wins it.

Also, mares allowances are there for a reason lads.

I think a fully fit and wound up SupaSundae would beat them all. Has a 10 year old won it, he could be getting on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I think a fully fit and wound up SupaSundae would beat them all. Has a 10 year old won it, he could be getting on?

Sea Pigeon and Hattons Grace both won it aged 10 and 11. No recent 10 Yr old winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

If it comes up soft Not So Sleepy is not out of it either. Standing start cost him any chance the last day to show his true credentials. He would be dangerous with a lead in soft ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

What horses caught your eye over the weekend that you think could go well at Cheltenham?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Sporting John could be a monster but looking like the ballymore for him against envoi allen who is a monster!

• Advertisement
Advertisement