Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Am I mad that I think petit mouchoir could be am ew bet for the champion hurdle at 40's ? Has form in the race and looks close to that form from 2/3 years back over hurdles

I dont think there is any selection that could be deemed mad in this renewal, there are massive gapping holes in all the leading players, I have finally come down on Saldier who I think has the strongest piece of form in the race but it's a wide open contest.

Min v APT in the Ryanair could be epic
    Love both, usually back both
    Head scratcher!

Could do worse than dutch the pair of them @ 3/1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well they're right to go back hurdling as he's a woeful jumper of a fence. Not sure why they're going the stayers route though. Doesn't look like he's crying out for 3m to me and the champion is looking pretty open atm. The ballymore has been a good trial for the champion over the years too.

Ballymore is a great pointer to the Champion Hurdle over the years.

I still won't back him however. But it makes the most sense as it is a more open looking race.

The only horse that can beat Paisley Park is Paisley Park. It worries me she pulled him at Ascot the last time, his next run is key, if Paisley Park does not win, there is an issue there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

akelly02 wrote: »
    seen somewhwere they reckon its irish champ hurdle then mares hurdle for cheltenham ....i can see that changing after she wins the irish champion handy enough

I think she'll only go CH route if she wins the Irish version well, and i mean very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Regarding the Pertemps qualifiers, almost certain there is or it’s coming soon a qualifier at Punchestown as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Ballymore is a great pointer to the Champion Hurdle over the years.

I still won't back him however. But it makes the most sense as it is a more open looking race.

The only horse that can beat Paisley Park is Paisley Park. It worries me she pulled him at Ascot the last time, his next run is key, if Paisley Park does not win, there is an issue there.

I fancy if the cap fits to beat paisley

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I fancy if the cap fits to beat paisley

I have heard worse shouts. The 8/1 is a good ew bet, if he definitely goes. He has never raced at Cheltenham, so it cannot be argued he won't like the course.

The only issue I have here is that it looks like Fry deliberately skipped Cheltenham for the Aintree race last year ( or was he injured slightly ?), everything in behind had been to Cheltenham, while this is a nice example of horse placing, I am always dubious of horses which skip Cheltenham for Aintree.

Eitherways beating the mares allowance was a good result and he is on the shortlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Anyone be surprised if Paisely is pulled before we get to Saturday
    I actually fully expect it to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

He was pulled the last day as the ground was absolutely bottomless.
    That will be the only reason they will pull him again. Can't see it around Cheltenham myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

stretchaq wrote: »
    Would be very keen on conflated for the MARTIN pipe serious word knocking around for him 25/1

heard from a reliable source thats the aim, but you know yourself these things tend to change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Anyone be surprised if Paisely is pulled before we get to Saturday
    I actually fully expect it to happen

Not a hope roger , remember when he ruined your life last year, when your beloved faugheen went down on his sword !!! :)

Not a hope roger , remember when he ruined your life last year, when your beloved faugheen went down on his sword !!! :)

HOW DARE YOU!:mad:

Oh a reckoning is coming for all you Faugheen haters!
    A RECKONING!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

HOW DARE YOU!:mad:

Oh a reckoning is coming for all you Faugheen haters!
    A RECKONING!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ohh dont get me wrong, im a faugheen lover, was delighted when he won at xmas!!!

even though he ran well in the stayers, he was never gonna beat paisley !!

ohh dont get me wrong, im a faugheen lover, was delighted when he won at xmas!!!

even though he ran well in the stayers, he was never gonna beat paisley !!

Gonna hack up in the Marsh/JLT
    Just you watch!!
    #Doubtersgonnadoubt

Just you watch!!
    #Doubtersgonnadoubt

do him in a double with paisley before he runs this saturday so :)

do him in a double with paisley before he runs this saturday so :)

Already have him backed in the novice chases

Just you watch!!
    #Doubtersgonnadoubt

Is there a chance he goes RSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭spuddiesal

Slattsy wrote: »
    Is there a chance he goes RSA?

Yes I’d say he will as Mullins has a lot more ammunition for JLT.

Laurina to win (or come close to Faugheen) next week over 2m5f and then laurina for jlt. Faugheen
    RSA

spuddiesal wrote: »
    Yes I’d say he will as Mullins has a lot more ammunition for JLT.

Laurina to win (or come close to Faugheen) next week over 2m5f and then laurina for jlt. Faugheen
    RSA

That was my thinking too. Melon could go JLT too?
    And if they're sending Carefully Selected for the NH Chase, that only leaves Allaho (off top of my head - open to correction) as their RSA horse?

However, if Faugheen does go JLT.... how goos must they think Allaho is?

Yes I've snapped up some 20s on Allaho fwiw.

And if they're sending Carefully Selected for the NH Chase, that only leaves Allaho (off top of my head - open to correction) as their RSA horse?

However, if Faugheen does go JLT.... how goos must they think Allaho is?

I can’t see him overturning Minella Indo.

• Advertisement

I can’t see him overturning Minella Indo.

But sure isnt that half the craic! The price reflects that expectancy tbh, so i'm happy to take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Allaho went through the AB like a JLT horse for me and Patrick said he could be their Black Hercules type and go the JLT when most see him as a stayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭famagusta

I can still see carefully selected turn up in the rsa, he'll have right chance too

famagusta wrote: »
    I can still see carefully selected turn up in the rsa, he'll have right chance too

Can’t see it backed off boards for 4m, and Patrick want to ride him

Markets seem to think Faugheen will go JLT, currently 7/1F
    14/1 for RSA

I would be confident in either race
    No way he wins an Arkle or the NHC I wouldnt think

stretchaq wrote: »
    Can’t see it backed off boards for 4m, and Patrick want to ride him

Black Hercules similar a few years ago he was in the region of 4 or 5/1 the week before the festival and up until declarations when Willie changed his mind.

Nothing is done until it is done with Willie.

Champ has to be the worst Fav at the festival
    Couldn't back him with stolen money

who fancys thyme hill lads?

who fancys thyme hill lads?

Fury Road for me in that one AK

• Advertisement

Champ has to be the worst Fav at the festival
    Couldn't back him with stolen money

Certainly gets beat from time to time and the jumping error he made lto is not what you want your beans on.

However I think the horse is very very talented, so it is one of those. I thought to get beaten last year and then to come back and win at Aintree shows resilience, you want those qualities in horses your backing. He has some engine in fairness, but I would think there will be plenty of 7/2 available on the day, so no great excuse to back him before that.

If he runs in the RSA I will be looking for EW value from something else. It is not a great race for favourites either.

The worst favourite of the festival I think is Benie Des Deux, I am not saying she can't win but the mares race looks very open. Roksana is 10/1, Honey suckle, Epatante, Stormy Ireland, Concertista etc. Huge value in that race.

City Island is 12/1 favourite for the Close bros? What the holy phuck?:( Be careful out there.

https://www.oddschecker.com/cheltenham-festival/close-brothers-novices-handicap-chase/winner

BoldReason wrote: »
    Black Hercules similar a few years ago he was in the region of 4 or 5/1 the week before the festival and up until declarations when Willie changed his mind.

Nothing is done until it is done with Willie.

Has not been given an RSA entry anyway so rules that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

However, if Faugheen does go JLT.... how good must they think Allaho is?

Strongly suspect they see Allaho as their No 1 novice and I will be with him for the rest of the season wherever he goes.

When he was beat by the stable neglected at Christmas Willie and Townend spent a good 10 minutes debriefing in the parade ring after, animated discussion, chin stroking. They were absolutely crestfallen. Then Willie steps into the photo with the winner for 2 seconds with its connections and then back to Allaho.

Great fun people watching at the races!

Think(hope) the 20/1 on Sporting John for the Ballymore will look huge on Saturday evening

Certainly gets beat from time to time and the jumping error he made lto is not what you want your beans on.

However I think the horse is very very talented, so it is one of those. I thought to get beaten last year and then to come back and win at Aintree shows resilience, you want those qualities in horses your backing. He has some engine in fairness, but I would think there will be plenty of 7/2 available on the day, so no great excuse to back him before that.

If he runs in the RSA I will be looking for EW value from something else. It is not a great race for favourites either.

The worst favourite of the festival I think is Benie Des Deux, I am not saying she can't win but the mares race looks very open. Roksana is 10/1, Honey suckle, Epatante, Stormy Ireland, Concertista etc. Huge value in that race.

City Island is 12/1 favourite for the Close bros? What the holy phuck?:( Be careful out there.

https://www.oddschecker.com/cheltenham-festival/close-brothers-novices-handicap-chase/winner

Still think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Think(hope) the 20/1 on Sporting John for the Ballymore will look huge on Saturday evening

Been waiting for this fella, was hoping he'd go Supreme but it will probably be Ballymore and Chantry house to the SNH. :(

• Advertisement

throw benie into the champion and she wins

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

throw benie into the champion and she wins

Reckon she’d win any race at the Festival.

Still think that?

I do actually.

I never said she wasn't good enough, what I said was that the mares hurdle is a very competitive race. Nothing has changed.

But she looked very good today, in fairness.

Just to put things in perspective as well, before everyone gets carried away.

She looked good today, but what has she beaten?

Apples Jade looks finished.
    Penhill hasn't won a race in 2 years.
    Kilutagh Vic hasn't won a race since new years eve 2017.
    Death Duty hasn't run since 2017
    Mary Frances - got paid € 900 for finishing.

She beat them all by 30 yards, but whatever turns up at Cheltenham will be fitter.
    She is a great mare but everything in perspective please.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

She beat them all by 30 yards, but whatever turns up at Cheltenham will be fitter.

We’re not just basing it off today’s run but all her previous form. I honestly think if she lined up in any race at Cheltenham, Townend would choose to ride her.

• Advertisement

Penhill being trained easy. Will show big improvement at Cheltenham.
    Kilultagh vic to win the 3m handicap hurdle at Cheltenham this year.

Honeysuckle to win at Leopardstown and win champion hurdle at Cheltenham

Laurina to mess up at Leopardstown and go for mares hurdle

Benie to run in stayers

530/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

The Pertemps? Not a chance in hell will a horse like Killultagh Vic ever win a race like that at the Festival. If he was the only runner in the race I still wouldn’t fancy him.

He’s also not entered or even qualified to run in the Pertemps.

Motivator wrote: »
    The Pertemps? Not a chance in hell will a horse like Killultagh Vic ever win a race like that at the Festival. If he was the only runner in the race I still wouldn’t fancy him.

He’s also not entered or even qualified to run in the Pertemps.

Coral. WTch back his last few races. Going out in front to get a blow. Will be held up at Cheltenham. Similar what they did with Wicklow Brave last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Killultagh was finished years ago

Agree on Penhill kilitagh vic hasn’t been the same horse since the leopardstown injury

Santini (Gold Cup winner 2020 ;) ) is out tomorrow. Must be some horse to keep right, but sky is the limit for this fella.

Allaho out tomorrow. Early Doors probably only only 33% fit. Could win doing handstands. Get on now if you fancy it for the RSA.

The RSA looks very strong this year but I'm certain this fella is top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Lads do ye fancy anything for next weekends Dublin festival?

Nothing really stands out value wise bar maybe Supasundae at 20s for ICH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Allaho out tomorrow. Early Doors probably only only 33% fit. Could win doing handstands. Get on now if you fancy it for the RSA.

The RSA looks very strong this year but I'm certain this fella is top class.

Just be safe and back any race 12/1 as could go JLT or RSA

• Advertisement
Advertisement