Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Alaho was very impressive today. Simply the betts too hopefully doesn’t get crucified by the handicapper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

A good day for my ante post bets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Margate

Slattsy wrote: »
    A good day for my ante post bets!

Please santini has no chance in a gc

Margate wrote: »
    Please santini has no chance in a gc

Good post. Run along now.

Would he have won if Bristol hadnt have made that mistake Slatts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Good post. Run along now.

The mistake by Bristol cost him the race. Santini hasn't impressed me enough for a gold cup winner

Al boum photo or kemboy are the ones fools to think otherwise

TheTorment wrote: »
    Would he have won if Bristol hadnt have made that mistake Slatts?

Don't think he's the type of yolk that's ever gonna win by 20 lengths. Just does enough. Had a good blow there afterwards, loads of improvement. It's only his 6th run over fences remember.

Definitely vulnerable I'd say on good ground though, could be done for pace. I'd prefer if Nico was more forceful in the GC. BDM a good yardstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Al boum photo or kemboy are the ones fools to think otherwise

Yes, fools indeed. Especially given the fantastic record Kemboy has at Cheltenham. Obvious lover of the track.

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Yes, fools indeed. Especially given the fantastic record Kemboy has at Cheltenham. Obvious lover of the track.

Ha!

Ha!

Yeah unseating tells you he hates the track haha fool

Yeah unseating tells you he hates the track haha fool

He's completed twice at the festival and failed to place.
    Fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Marie's Rock is going to go off about 6/4 in the mares novice the way the other ones at the top of the betting have been running in the past couple of weeks.

I still seen 5/1 out there.

BoldReason wrote: »
    Marie's Rock is going to go off about 6/4 in the mares novice the way the other ones at the top of the betting have been running in the past couple of weeks.

I still seen 5/1 out there.

You can have your 5/1.
    That race in Fairyhouse today was surely the best trial run to date. De Bromhead's mare gave a decent field weight and a beating and should be favourite imo. Anything Mullins runs will also have to be respected. Can't see Hendersons yoke getting any shorter. Will more than likely drift.

You can have your 5/1.
    That race in Fairyhouse today was surely the best trial run to date. De Bromhead's mare gave a decent field weight and a beating and should be favourite imo. Anything Mullins runs will also have to be respected. Can't see Hendersons yoke getting any shorter. Will more than likely drift.

She will go off fav imo. Which will be a fair bit shorter than 5/1 she has been the most impressive in my view.

• Advertisement

She will go off fav imo. Which will be a fair bit shorter than 5/1 she has been the most impressive in my view.

Impressive against what though? How good can a mares hurdle at Taunton be?
    She's very unlikely to go off fav imo as the Irish mares form has far more substance to it.
    Today's performance by De Bromheads mare is the best single piece of form for that race to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭spuddiesal

You could say that for every course when Kemboy was a novice.

Obviously a different horse now. Unfortunate to fall last year

spuddiesal wrote: »
    You could say that for every course when Kemboy was a novice.

Obviously a different horse now. Unfortunate to fall last year

We'll see.
    Horse that underperform at Cheltenham tend to repeat that habit. Beef or Salmon is a good comparison in this case.

Impressive against what though? How good can a mares hurdle at Taunton be?
    She's very unlikely to go off fav imo as the Irish mares form has far more substance to it.
    Today's performance by De Bromheads mare is the best single piece of form for that race to date.

Irish Mares are not up to much in my view. That coolreevy isnt the best yardstick. Who knows what kind of form she will show up in. Think Henry's mare wants 2 and a half myself.

We will see. She may not go off fav but I'd be shocked if she went off bigger than 5/1

Irish Mares are not up to much in my view. That coolreevy isnt the best yardstick. Who knows what kind of form she will show up in. Think Henry's mare wants 2 and a half myself.

We will see. She may not go off fav but I'd be shocked if she went off bigger than 5/1

They're probably still better than the British mares regardless.
    Irish mares have won all renewals of the mares novice hurdle to date and all but two of the mares hurdle. Most of them were trained by Willie Mullins, who actively buys good mares and targets the easy prize money that can be picked up by following a programme of mares only races. Other trainers (especially in Britain) just don't do that. I'd say if Mullins doesn't win it, it will be an Irish mare who stops him (most likely De Bromhead this year).

• Advertisement

They're probably still better than the British mares regardless.
    Irish mares have won all renewals of the mares novice hurdle to date and all but two of the mares hurdle. Most of them were trained by Willie Mullins, who actively buys good mares and targets the easy prize money that can be picked up by following a programme of mares only races. Other trainers (especially in Britain) just don't do that. I'd say if Mullins doesn't win it, it will be an Irish mare who stops him (most likely De Bromhead this year).

All fair points. What happened in past years doesn't really come into my thoughts when backing a horse so each to their own.

Marie's Rock single piece of form in blowing apart that Taunton listed race is the single best piece of form at the moment in my eye.
    So we will have to agree to disagree. Game of opinions :)

All fair points. What happened in past years doesn't really come into my thoughts when backing a horse so each to their own.

Marie's Rock single piece of form in blowing apart that Taunton listed race is the single best piece of form at the moment in my eye.
    So we will have to agree to disagree. Game of opinions :)

You're right of course and it's up to you to disregard previous years results if you wish. For me, they are iron clad proof that Mullins targets both races every year.
    That being the case, anything that gives three of his potential runners weight and a beating in a Grade 3 merits huge respect imo.
    I personally wouldn't rate the UK mares form anywhere near the Irish and a 1-2-3 in that race for the away team is fairly likely imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

You're right of course and it's up to you to disregard previous years results if you wish. For me, they are iron clad proof that Mullins targets both races every year.
    That being the case, anything that gives three of his potential runners weight and a beating in a Grade 3 merits huge respect imo.
    I personally wouldn't rate the UK mares form anywhere near the Irish and a 1-2-3 in that race for the away team is fairly likely imo.

Doesn’t Willie still have lackmerscie that won the same race Laurina won last year in tramore, would think she is the best mare he has

stretchaq wrote: »
    Doesn’t Willie still have lackmerscie that won the same race Laurina won last year in tramore, would think she is the best mare he has

Haven't heard of the horse you mentioned there. Was it not Dolcita that won the Laurina race?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Haven't heard of the horse you mentioned there. Was it not Dolcita that won the Laurina race?

Sorry your right Lamarcksie runs in limerick Thursday supposed to be a serious horse

stretchaq wrote: »
    Sorry your right Lamarcksie runs in limerick Thursday supposed to be a serious horse

Sounds like you're agreeing with me. Lots of ammunition from Willie/Ireland and history on their side, meaning the Henderson mare is unlikely to shorten or go off fav for winning a mares race at Taunton imo.

Separately, anyone know the story with Asterion Forlonges?
    I really liked his run/win at Naas, but with Shiskin (Supreme) and The Big Getaway (Ballymore) for the same owners, will he even go to Cheltenham?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Sounds like you're agreeing with me. Lots of ammunition from Willie/Ireland and history on their side, meaning the Henderson mare is unlikely to shorten or go off fav for winning a mares race at Taunton imo.

Separately, anyone know the story with Asterion Forlonges?
    I really liked his run/win at Naas, but with Shiskin (Supreme) and The Big Getaway (Ballymore) for the same owners, will he even go to Cheltenham?

They said Asterion is a stayer and he is entered in the 2m6 on Saturday at Leopardstown so if he goes that and runs ok the Donnellys have three novice hurdlers for each race at the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Who are Willie Mullins Supreme horses does anyone know. Elixir Dainay possibly?

Wasnt impressed by Carefully Selected at all, jumping a bit sketchy and seemed to want to jump right at some. May not have won either if the other one stayed up. But he's qualified now, and that was the aim. Still have Champagne Classic miles ahead in my book.

Allaho won as expected, and shortened appropriately for the RSA. Chance he goes JLT but he looks like a RSA horse to me.

I was delighted with Santini. Down as low as 6/1 in places. Proper chaser and just hoping he has a good preo, unlike last year. Think he's a big chance and better ground should suit.

All in all, a good weekend for my ante post selections. Value well and truly snagged!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Though Protektorat was eyecatching and took some 20s for the Coral Cup.

Was very impressed by Paisley Park also. BDD will go mares after that.
    Anything over the weekend catch your eye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Though Protektorat was eyecatching and took some 20s for the Coral Cup.

Was very impressed by Paisley Park also. BDD will go mares after that.
    Anything over the weekend catch your eye?

Santini was quality. Not really getting the negative commentary as it's quite obvious he has plenty more to give.

• Advertisement

Santini was quality. Not really getting the negative commentary as it's quite obvious he has plenty more to give.

Yeah i'm not sure either, maybe he's not flashy enough or whatever. He's never going to win a race by a distance, just does enough.

Beat a good yardstick in BDM. Had a serious blow after and an endless amount of improvement to come. That was a perfect prep in my eyes.

My main concern is the jockey tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Loved Santini also and he just wants a bit of company, if he is head to head jumping the last vs most he comes out on top as the GC extra trip will suit him so much.

I wouldn’t give up on Lostintranslation to bounce back seeing he beat Bristol well at Haydock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The Walshes have been talking up Carefully Selected at every opportunity since his bumper days. Didn't Katie herself sell him on (?) - she definitely had him in the yard for his pre training. Just get the feeling they are feeling pressure for him to go and prove himself a top notcher, hasn't really happened yet.

madmoose wrote: »
    Loved Santini also and he just wants a bit of company, if he is head to head jumping the last vs most he comes out on top as the GC extra trip will suit him so much.

I wouldn’t give up on Lostintranslation to bounce back seeing he beat Bristol well at Haydock.

LIT has to bounce back though after that King George effort.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    The Walshes have been talking up Carefully Selected at every opportunity since his bumper days. Didn't Katie herself sell him on (?) - she definitely had him in the yard for his pre training. Just get the feeling they are feeling pressure for him to go and prove himself a top notcher, hasn't really happened yet.

Well he was my RSA fancy, i do like him!
    But if he's as good as they think he is, they wouldnt go for the NH Chase, surely??

Unless they think Allaho is a good thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Well he was my RSA fancy, i do like him!
    But if he's as good as they think he is, they wouldnt go for the NH Chase, surely??

Unless they think Allaho is a good thing :D

Allaho is the greatest certainty since Our Conor IMO.

And whichever of Gordon's the late money comes for in the Pertemps, not necessarily The Storyteller

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Allaho wont beat Minella Indo over 3 miles

And whichever of Gordon's the late money comes for in the Pertemps, not necessarily The Storyteller

SDB wins it two years in a row choo choooooo

The Mig wrote: »
    Allaho wont beat Minella Indo over 3 miles

Quiet wench.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Quiet wench.
    Shup ya dope. Gonna name my new tugboat Santini #slowasatug

The Mig wrote: »
    Shup ya dope. Gonna name my new tugboat Santini #slowasatug

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Santini is a poor man's Percy

I like Allaho, but he's going into a 3m grade 1 off the back of two runs over shorter in beginners chases. Would have liked to seen him contest a better quality race before the festival, which looks unlikely now.
    I'd be with SDB for the pertemps. The storyteller looks the obvious one, but SDB was very eye catching at Warwick the last day imo

Last year the Dublin racing festival had two graded nhf races won by envoi Allen and Santa Rosa, looking at cards I don’t see any this year?

There is 2 grade 2 bumpers one closing each day. One for colts and geldings and the other for mares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

BumperD wrote: »
    Last year the Dublin racing festival had two graded nhf races won by envoi Allen and Santa Rosa, looking at cards I don’t see any this year?

Bumper entries just ain't in yet.

Ah ok that makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It was a poor Cotswold Chase . Santini will have to improve a lot to win a gold cup in my opinion

Santini wins the GC. Will be his second run back after wind surgery. So, according to the experts massive improvement is to come.

Can even see him coming 2nd to Kalashnikov in the 2021 renewal - he's that good :pac::pac::pac:

Most of the naysayers probably downgrading his chances so they can get a good price on the day.

GET ON SANTINI!

Santini wins the GC. Will be his second run back after wind surgery. So, according to the experts massive improvement is to come.

Can even see him coming 2nd to Kalashnikov in the 2021 renewal - he's that good :pac::pac::pac:

Most of the naysayers probably downgrading his chances so they can get a good price on the day.

GET ON SANTINI!

Poor Slattsy

• Advertisement
Advertisement