Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding US preclearance at Dublin Airport

Options
  • 30-12-2019 5:53pm

I will be traveling to the US for the first time shortly and was wondering about pre-clearance. I saw a video from 2 years ago explaining the process at Dublin Airport which is very helpful but was wondering about the self service kiosks.

I read that these are no longer working/work sporadically and wanted to know if this was true? From the video, it seems like you need to go to the kiosk before the US agent. If it's a case if the kiosks aren't working when I arrive at this section, is it best to just go straight to the agent who will issue everything?

Also, I plan to get to the airport 4 and a bit hours before my flight.. should I be safe with this time, i.e. is it enough time to find my way around, get through Irish & US security and find my gate for flight departure? It will be my first time navigating an airport alone and not too used to being in airports in general so have some pre-flight jitters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's well signposted so I wouldn't worry about finding your way to pre-clearance. Once there, there are plenty of staff on hand to direct you and point you where to go and what to do so not much thinking involved so don't worry about that either. 3 hours is more than enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

There's plenty of staff down around pre-clearance, they will direct you. Last time I went through pre-clearance in Dublin (3 years ago), the kiosks were only for people who had travelled on their ESTA before I think. The agent will do everything with you. Just make sure you have all your travel details to hand (where you will be staying in the USA) and be prepared for lots of questions! I've always found the agents to be friendly enough though.

Once you get through pre-clearance, it's not a big area so you'll easily find your gate. There's not much stuff down after pre-clearance so if you want to do any shopping, make sure it's done before you get through. My sister went through a few months ago, she said it was really busy and the queues were long but they were pulling people out of the queues and prioritizing them depending on their flight.

Hope you enjoy the holiday and don't be too nervous, Dublin is a fairly easy airport to navigate!

Thanks guys! What questions do they tend to ask at preclearance? Also, I am going on a Sunday. Are Sunday mornings/afternoons typically busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Questions are usually along the lines of how long are you going for, who are you going with, where are you staying etc. You'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Yeah it is no big deal and the staff will direct your around to either kiosk or agent, have your passport in your hand after the pre-clearance security check, they'll see an Irish passport and just point you in the right direction.
    FYI I think it only opens at 6 or 7am so being too early for some US flights just means a long queue for pre-clearance, but I usually fly on weekends so might be earlier during week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

There have been no kiosks since September 2018. there are 3 lines - US citizens/non-US citizens and those with Global Entry. Follow instructions by staff. How busy it will be will be determined by how many flights are departing around the same time and how many passengers need to be processed - impossible to answer.

Your questions were answered on your other thread on Trip Advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks guys! What questions do they tend to ask at preclearance?

The principal question they ask is: 'what is the purpose of your trip to the US?'

You told us in a previous thread that you work for a US multnational so at that point, show the agent your employee ID badge and say that you're visiting friends or colleagues in the US, you'll have no trouble after that. Don't treat it like a lark, don't crack jokes, be very polite and don't answser a question you were not asked i.e. don't ramble.

The process will be that you go up to the agent, hand over your passport and wait for hm/her to lookup your ESTA on their system. They will then ask you some questions. Working for a US company means you will sail through.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

when I went through pre clearance last February I wasn’t asked to give my fingerprints. My new Irish passport was only 6 months at the time. Is there any reason why some people are asked for fingerprints and others aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Mullet wrote: »
    when I went through pre clearance last February I wasn’t asked to give my fingerprints. My new Irish passport was only 6 months at the time. Is there any reason why some people are asked for fingerprints and others aren’t.

I asked the same question in November and was told by an Agent that facial recognition negates the need for fingerprints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Me and my wife went through preclearance twice this year. The first time (February) both of us had our fingerprints and picture taken but in October, I only had to do the face thingy whereas she had to do the fingerprint thing as well. Both times we were on the same passports and ESTAs. He also didn't ask us to identify our bags the second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Went through in May and they asked for fingerprints and took a photo. Fairly straightforward and only took a couple of minutes.

Advertisement