Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving 6tb of data

Options
  • 30-12-2019 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place or not but looking for some help. I'm trying to move 6tb of data from one external drive to another. I don't want to copy and paste as I find sometimes the files don't copy over fully or it times out.

I have seagate toolkit but that only let's me back up the full C drive not the external drive. I tried paragon but that leaves it in a format that needs paragon to open it. I just want the files to copy over as they are and to be aple to open the files on any PC.

If anyone has a good reliable way to do this in one go Id really appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Xcopy at the command line, robocopy could also do it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

L1011 wrote: »

Robocopy will often be a bit faster and more flexible. If the destination folder is blank the /MIR option would be a good choice otherwise /E. e.g. from a command prompt ROBOCOPY <Source folder> <Destination folder> /MIR

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

L1011 wrote: »

Thanks I'll take alook I'm not great at command line stuff wS hoping for a program type but I'll try anything lol.

Thanks again

smacl wrote: »
    Robocopy will often be a bit faster and more flexible. If the destination folder is blank the /MIR option would be a good choice otherwise /E. e.g. from a command prompt ROBOCOPY <Source folder> <Destination folder> /MIR

Would this give me an exact copy of the source drive as in all folders and names be the same if I connect the destination drive to another Pc when copy is complete. Some of the files are used for my plex server so trying to keep the structures the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I've used a bootable version of Gparted previously to clone drives, should be a video of how it works online. Not exactly a fancy gui with it though!

Acronis true image does it as well if you want to buy a product that will do it in a few clicks

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I've used a bootable version of Gparted previously to clone drives, should be a video of how it works online. Not exactly a fancy gui with it though!

Acronis true image does it as well if you want to buy a product that will do it in a few clicks

Thanks I've tried robocopy seems to be working fingers crossed

Advertisement