Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken flavouring

Options
  • 30-12-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

Ok this is quite a strange one .

Davincis italian in Leixlip used to do buffalo wings with this amazing flavour on them, since discontinued and replaced with just franks wings :(

zaytoon however season their chicken doner very very similarly to those wings however the shish is nothing like it

absolute long ask but does anyone have any idea, whatever it is its oily and will leave your fingers bright yellow as is the chicken, just very tasty though.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Saffron?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

not on its own, could be part of it but its a unique enough flavour that i cant pin it but anyone whos'e had the wings or eaten some of that zaytoons doner chicken may know.

Edit : looking up a saffron chicken recipie, it does look correct and seem like it makes sense, i may give it a go and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I reckon it's saffron too, it's the world's most expensive spice and Zaytoon are Ireland's biggest importer of it.

Good luck with trying it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zaytoon however season their chicken doner very very similarly to those wings however the shish is nothing like it
    zaytoon specifically say the shish uses saffron, so you might want to try others before forking out the money for it!

https://www.zaytoon.ie/our-menu
    SHISH
    Good things grilled on a skewer over charcoal
    CHICKEN
    Boneless Irish chicken fillet, marinated with Iranian saffron

After trying lots of doner kebab recipes one of the most most noticeable spice I used was cumin. Lots of recipes do not have it and it made a big difference. Oregano too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Saffron on its own barely tastes of anything (and is wildly expensive) so their seasoning is likely to be a pinch of it for colour more than anything, supplemented by a host of other flavourings, one of which I'd almost put money on being Aromat. You'd be amazed how many professional chefs use it as a seasoning. I use it myself on steak.

OP, try the following in various ratios til you find the right one: saffron (literally one stamen and infuse it in a couple of tablespoons of oil, depending on how much meat you're prepping), aromat, garlic granules, plenty of black pepper, oregano and a tiny pinch of either celery or onion salt (the aromat is already plenty salty so don't add too much). Rub it all into your meat and leave to marinate for as long as you have, basically.

• Advertisement

The bright yellow fingers is making me think of turmeric.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Saffron on its own barely tastes of anything (and is wildly expensive) so their seasoning is likely to be a pinch of it for colour more than anything, supplemented by a host of other flavourings, one of which I'd almost put money on being Aromat. You'd be amazed how many professional chefs use it as a seasoning. I use it myself on steak.

OP, try the following in various ratios til you find the right one: saffron (literally one stamen and infuse it in a couple of tablespoons of oil, depending on how much meat you're prepping), aromat, garlic granules, plenty of black pepper, oregano and a tiny pinch of either celery or onion salt (the aromat is already plenty salty so don't add too much). Rub it all into your meat and leave to marinate for as long as you have, basically.

Aldi are now stocking Aromat so you're probably not alone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Aromat, turmeric, cumin, oregano, black pepper, saffron.
    Maybe a bit of onion and garlic powder, too.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    . You'd be amazed how many professional chefs use it as a seasoning.
    I'd have thought it would have fallen out of favour as so many places have jumped on the NO MSG bandwagon. Also would think they would just use straight MSG rather than overpriced MSG premixed with salt & spice.

Zaytoon do not have a "no MSG" notice on their site.

Advertisement