Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade for 1440p gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's a old low core count CPU. Why are you picking that?

edit: Mis-read so that's your current system. I'd still go for Ryzen 3600 build with a B450 and new RAM. Should all come under €500

You could also remove your storage if you have files on them you want and keep for new system buy a cheap SSD to go into the that above system and sell it on adverts. And go all out on a complete new system with the €500 plus what ever you get for selling above system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's a old low core count CPU. Why are you picking that?

edit: Mis-read so that's your current system. I'd still go for Ryzen 3600 build with a B450 and new RAM. Should all come under €500

Are you sure going all out on the CPU upgrade is the way to go? The GTX 1060 may struggle at 1440p.
    How about an older Ryzen and a new GPU?

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you sure going all out on the CPU upgrade is the way to go? The GTX 1060 may struggle at 1440p.
    How about an older Ryzen and a new GPU?

I would actually believe a whole new system is the way to go and sell the current. €500 plus what you get for the new system would get you a pretty capable machine.

He could get a second hand newer GPU and maybe a used i7 6700 or 7700 k model if he finds one cheap and it would be decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

I'd try and sell your current system for 600 and go from there. Even if you get 400 that brings your budget up to 900 which gets you a very capable 1440P machine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You're both probably right. I have a 6700k right now and at 144hz it does ok so would probably do well at 1440p 60hz. But it's only a matter of time, when the new consoles arrive and 6/8 core will become standard for games developers. Might as well make the jump now if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sell the 6600K, motherboard and 8gb ram for 150 or whatever. Sell the 1060 for 120-50, whatever people are willing to pay. That gives you a budget of almost 800 for new board, cpu, ram and card.

Ryzen 3600, 16gb 3200 or 3600mhz, b450m max, rx5700 or rtx2070 non-super should be achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Thanks for the help people

Advertisement