Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Against Method.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

What would you hope to run in a track 5k?

Yes, I've been thinking about that!!

I don’t know…I’ve never run a track 5k so I’ve no idea how a 12.5 lap race will suit me.

I don't think I've ever trained specifically for a 5k race either (vs doing 5k pace training for 1500m) and I don’t have huge experience with the distance. I think I’ve run 10 5ks in total (6 of which were Parkruns, 2 were the Great Ireland Run 5k, 1 was Jingle Bells and 1 was a low-key sort of xc 5k) but I ran sub-17 in all except one, which was a Parkrun coming back from a lay-off.

I can only go off how fit I felt when I ran certain times...on paper, and in my mind, I think I should be probably going for at least 16’20” but, if training goes well, I would like to go lower than that, based on previous times and compared to my fitness when I ran them.

The main 'however', and it’s a very important ‘however’, is that my 3k pb is only 9’20” which is a good bit off what my 1500m from last year predicts. And I suspect the longer distance on the track (vs. road), and subsequent loss of concentration, is a part of that. So, that would point to slower again for 5k.

I’d be happy enough with anything in the low 16s and disappointed with anything above 16:20 but that’s all presuming I don’t actually have to worry about running one until April, that I stay fit, and don't get sick in the interim.

I feel more '5k fit' than I was when I ran some 5k times I'd be happy with now, but I'm also a couple of years older (and more tired too!).

Ok, a few weeks to catch up.

So, two weeks before last was a paltry 42-odd miles and, between the weather and work, I was really starting to flag. Just 5 days of running and no sessions.

I’ll be glad to put February behind me. I am completely a fair weather trainer. I just find it difficult to get out when it’s grim - add a rapidly accumulating sleep deficit and the stress of a couple of work deadlines and I was just not feeling the love.

The week before last, circumstances aligned so that I was able to get out for a bit longer in the morning and, coupled with the good weather, I managed to clock up 62 miles, my biggest week since the middle of October.

Back to my original lockdown loops for Monday and Tuesday, and two sort-of sessions on Wednesday and Saturday.

Monday - 73mins @ 7:56
    Tuesday - 71mins @7:58

Wednesday was an experiment in running economy - just thought it would be interesting l to see the difference that cadence can make to economy. Basically, I ran 10 x 800m off 90s holding the cadence consistent @ 190spm

There’s a certain amount of coordination required (for me) that goes into maintaining a high turnover and, without doing much fast stuff at the moment, I always think it’s worth practicing. Or, at least, it’s the type of experimentation I enjoy doing. And you end up with 5 miles of work with a low HR at a reasonable pace.

Thursday - 55mins @ 8:16

A lovely "legs' choice" run. Just disengaged and let my legs run as slowly or as quickly as they wanted to. They went for a slow run.

Friday - (meant to run the same loop as Monday, but forgot and turned off early) - 56mins @ 8:23

Saturday -

Originally planned to do 3 laps of the acres at a threshold effort but I think a third would have put me closer to a TT/Race effort by the end so pulled the plug at 2 laps. Happy enough with pace and intensity (+ hr in the right zone), just not able to pull off a casual 5 miles at threshold at the moment. Ended up with 19mins @5:43 and a consistent pace/effort but I would have been pushing it on a 3rd lap. Did 8 x 20s hill reps afterwards.

Probably something I need to do more of. Based on the session, I think either 3 x 10mins on the same lap at the same pace - or bringing it back a notch for 30mins straight - would be more sensible.

That was last week. And this week I managed 47 miles off 6 days.

I’ve been struggling sleep-wise for the past few weeks so just wanted to hit 200 miles for February for this first time and pit a lid on February. No real structure or quality to the month.

All easy runs this week. Was going to attempt a big session yesterday but a series of snafus and technical hitches meant that it was interrupted a few times in the first 20minutes so a bit of a waste of absolutely perfect conditions.

I’ll probably just do one session a week until I catch up on sleep. The good thing about running easy is that I find it easier to do decent mileage in this state than a single session, so that’s the plan.

If March stays sensible COVID-wise, we might be back at club sessions by April and then there’s the possibility of a graded season.

I don't feel like I've been training well for a while now but I'm a long way ahead of how last year started, so I'm taking that as comfort. As ever, the only thing that really matters for me is whether I'm faster in a race so won't know about that until summer.

Ok. So a week of mostly easy running, with one session.

49 miles and 6 days running.

Monday - 57mins @ 8:00
    Tuesday - 53mins @ 7:44
    Wednesday - 49mins @ 6:55 (a bit stuck for time)
    Thursday - 56mins @ 7:56
    Saturday - SESSION

I wanted to get back to see the men’s 3000m at the Euros and I was planning to start a new regime from next week so nothing too intense for the session.

A 40 minute LT+ workout of 4mins off 3 then 2 x 3mins off 2 followed by 3 x 2mins off 1 then 4 x 1min off 1 and, finally, 4 x 30s off 1 min.

The target is an intensity range of 145-155bpm for the 4min and 3min sections, which is just straddling the upper end of marathon hr and the lower end of LTHR. And then hoping to hit more progressive paces as I go on (that’s the LT+ part).

This was my first run in the Adidas Adios Pro that I accidentally bought last week. A bit crazy really and like nothing I’ve ever run in before. No comparison between these and the Asics Metaracer. The Asics Metaracers still feel like actual runners, whereas these were more like running on marshmallows, albeit very fast and comfortable marshmallows (I went half a size up). I’m putting them back in the box for a target race. I can see how tempting it would be to wear a pair like these for big sessions, but I’d prefer to save them for that extra couple of % for a race.

The session itself went well. 40mins @6:06 pace in total. 5:30-odd pace for the longer sections, 5:20s for the 2mins and faster again for the 1 min and 30s sections. The trouble with the new shoes was that I was running 6:30 pace for the early recoveries without noticing it so I might have been able to eke out faster ‘on’ sections later on if I had reined in those early recoveries. Good fartlek session anyway.

Sunday - 75mins @7:31

So, that’s what the super shoes are for!! I don’t normally run this quickly on a Sunday but the legs were still turning over very easily even in the Dynaflytes on the trails. While it might be completely in my head, there could even be a carryover biomechanical benefit the next day from the good form the adios Pro forces you into.

GOING FORWARD (QUICKLY)

As I said last week, I’m struggling a bit with a lack of focus. While still getting the miles in, I need a new regime for however long it takes until I know what I’m actually training for (which will probably be April at least), or club sessions are back (probably the same time). And, now that the schools are back, I can get sessions done in the morning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭healy1835

That was a cracking session. My biggest gains from plated shoes have come in my recoveries. If I was to do an 8 Mile tempo in the Vaporflys vs a pair of Streaks, the difference is like night and day. It's when you're upping mileage and trying to fit in 2/3 sessions a week that you really reap the benefits.

healy1835 wrote: »
    That was a cracking session. My biggest gains from plated shoes have come in my recoveries. If I was to do an 8 Mile tempo in the Vaporflys vs a pair of Streaks, the difference is like night and day. It's when you're upping mileage and trying to fit in 2/3 sessions a week that you really reap the benefits.

Yup, they just make things easier. Pace, rhythm, recovery, everything.

I'm happy to leave them in the box for now but, if I was to do a marathon again, I would definitely be saving up for a couple of pairs of these for training + racing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Sacksian wrote: »
    GOING FORWARD (QUICKLY)

As I said last week, I’m struggling a bit with a lack of focus. While still getting the miles in, I need a new regime for however long it takes until I know what I’m actually training for (which will probably be April at least), or club sessions are back (probably the same time). And, now that the schools are back, I can get sessions done in the morning as well.

Are there any intermediate training goals you could aim for to get focus before races reappear?

demfad wrote: »
    Are there any intermediate training goals you could aim for to get focus before races reappear?

I have a general plan in mind for the next few weeks, just didn't want to get too bogged down in detail - will see how I get on with it!

6 days running and 55miles for the week.

Monday - 71mins @7:43
    Tuesday - 8 x 3mins off 1min

Was originally targeting a threshold pace (rather than HR) for these but the wind - and my general condition - meant that it was harder than it should have been. Mostly around 5:40 pace but 2nd last one was over 6mins pace and last one was in 5:30s.

Am going to do this again next week, but do 10 instead of 8 and forget about pace or hr and just do it at a relaxed effort (probably come out low 6:00 pace). Personally, I always get more out of that range (HM-MP) rather than threshold pace as a support for middle-distance training, but I keep forgetting that. And, with so few racing opportunities, it's very easy to forget what works for you - and undercooking training has generally worked for me in the past. It just feels like it won't this time when I've no races to back it up!

Wednesday - 74mis @8:12
    Thursday - unintentionally off
    Friday - 49mins @8:02
    Saturday - 3 x 10mins off 2min

Nice and controlled progressive session (the wrong way) round a very windy acres - with good company for a change! Paces for the 10min sections were: 6:27 / 6:22 / 6:15 so closer to MP than threshold. Will keep the Saturday sessions for the next few weeks around this level of intensity.

Sunday - 78mins @7:46

So, I wanted to do something different for the next 3-4 weeks until club sessions are back, or the track is open, or we have a sense of when races come back. Ideally, I’d go back to the simplicity of the first lockdown last year when I just went out every day for 70mins (very easy) and threw in an odd steady 4-5 miles in the middle once a week. I did that for 8-10 weeks or so. That level of mileage was something new to me and while I never felt particularly fresh on it, I did notice myself being stronger in sessions and the few 1500m races that I got to run. A few more racing opportunities and I think I might have seen even more benefit from it. This year, there’s no need to build up to 70 minutes a day again because I know I can handle it. I don’t really want to run any more miles than that but I want to replicate the strength emphasis of that period (and throw in lower intensity sessions too). Catch up on sleep as well.

Once the track is back, I can worry about getting fast at some point in April.

6 days running and 55miles for the week.

Monday - 71mins @7:43
    Tuesday - 8 x 3mins off 1min

Was originally targeting a threshold pace (rather than HR) for these but the wind - and my general condition - meant that it was harder than it should have been. Mostly around 5:40 pace but 2nd last one was over 6mins pace and last one was in 5:30s.

Am going to do this again next week, but do 10 instead of 8 and forget about pace or hr and just do it at a relaxed effort (probably come out low 6:00 pace). Personally, I always get more out of that range (HM-MP) rather than threshold pace as a support for middle-distance training, but I keep forgetting that. And, with so few racing opportunities, it's very easy to forget what works for you - and undercooking training has generally worked for me in the past. It just feels like it won't this time when I've no races to back it up!

Wednesday - 74mis @8:12
    Thursday - unintentionally off
    Friday - 49mins @8:02
    Saturday - 3 x 10mins off 2min

Nice and controlled progressive session (the wrong way) round a very windy acres - with good company for a change! Paces for the 10min sections were: 6:27 / 6:22 / 6:15 so closer to MP than threshold. Will keep the Saturday sessions for the next few weeks around this level of intensity.

Sunday - 78mins @7:46

So, I wanted to do something different for the next 3-4 weeks until club sessions are back, or the track is open, or we have a sense of when races come back. Ideally, I’d go back to the simplicity of the first lockdown last year when I just went out every day for 70mins (very easy) and threw in an odd steady 4-5 miles in the middle once a week. I did that for 8-10 weeks or so. That level of mileage was something new to me and while I never felt particularly fresh on it, I did notice myself being stronger in sessions and the few 1500m races that I got to run. A few more racing opportunities and I think I might have seen even more benefit from it. This year, there’s no need to build up to 70 minutes a day again because I know I can handle it. I don’t really want to run any more miles than that but I want to replicate the strength emphasis of that period (and throw in lower intensity sessions too). Catch up on sleep as well.

Once the track is back, I can worry about getting fast at some point in April.

I've noticed that any continuous threshold type run I've done below the threshold I've 'Banked' entirely. The 'cleaner' these runs are the better.

I've done that 8-10 x 3ms session too. Hard to get right at first but great when it does.

'Joe Rubio' middles distance pdf --- is worth a google as he has 'true base' ideas for track folk. True bass = bass phase 2.

Also 'John Kellogg pdf' has great run as you feel progression runs which allows a snails start to potentially a fast 2 min finish at 5k speed or faster.

Lastly Canova has a standard base buildup:

Eg, Standard run of 1hr. Start with 2 x 1hr runs . Progress one in lenght the other in speed.
    Run 1: 1.25hr, 1.5, 1.75, 2
    Run 2: 1hr but last 25% 20s per mile faster, last 50%, last 75%, all run 20s per mile faster.
    Run 3 would be weekly fartlek between both other runs

You can then go in different directions

Sorry, I love those steady runs! Kellogg's prog run is best description though.

I've noticed that any continuous threshold type run I've done below the threshold I've 'Banked' entirely. The 'cleaner' these runs are the better.

I've done that 8-10 x 3ms session too. Hard to get right at first but great when it does.

'Joe Rubio' middles distance pdf --- is worth a google as he has 'true base' ideas for track folk. True bass = bass phase 2.

Also 'John Kellogg pdf' has great run as you feel progression runs which allows a snails start to potentially a fast 2 min finish at 5k speed or faster.

Lastly Canova has a standard base buildup:

Eg, Standard run of 1hr. Start with 2 x 1hr runs . Progress one in lenght the other in speed.
    Run 1: 1.25hr, 1.5, 1.75, 2
    Run 2: 1hr but last 25% 20s per mile faster, last 50%, last 75%, all run 20s per mile faster.
    Run 3 would be weekly fartlek between both other runs

You can then go in different directions

Sorry, I love those steady runs! Kellogg's prog run is best description though.

I am very like you!! I have every decent LetsRun training discussion and PDF saved in various file on google drive somewhere!

Having said that, I don't think I've really looked at attempting that Canova base buildup before, but it looks interesting - although I'm not sure I'd handle it that well.

The tempo-threshold-steady run is always one that I've struggled with (whatever distance I've trained for). I've never liked continuous tempos unless they're closer to Marathon HR/Pace or they're progressive (like the Kellogg ones). Steve Magness would suggest that means I'm more fast-twitch than long-twitch, but I might just be soft!

This talk by Marcus O'Sullivan was my guide to the 8-10 x 3mins, so 8 x 3 off 1 or 8 x 3m30s off 90s at a very manageable pace has been my staple for the past few years. I think it's a brilliant talk...

https://swimmingcoach.org/understanding-threshold-from-a-runners-perspective-by-marcus-osullivan-2006/

But last year was the first year I attempted an actual 'base' period in 10 years of running and it was just very easy running every day with a 4-5miles progressive run in the middle of the week (which was always run as I feel). It felt like it was the first time in a long time where I achieved that effortless progressive steady run where you're really opening up more and more as you go on. So, I think all the miles (relatively speaking) had a benefit.

This year, I probably need to add more quality in base (do that 8 x 3mins once a week for 6 or 7 weeks) and also once races appear on the horizon.

I like Canova's take on hill-sprints year-round (do them ALL OUT!) and I think he rates the intensity between HM and MP as support for middle-distance runners.

My only really attempt with Canova stuff was, in 2018, the last proper track season I did, an attempt at a Canova 1500m session, which was much harder than the stuff I normally do but which I think helped me that season. It's ambitious and it's counterintuitive, so I found it really interesting.

It was 4 x 3 x 300m with INCREASING recoveries 5 mins b/t sets. Fairly straightforward on paper, but very difficult to pace correctly.

Target for each set was:

1st set: 95% of 4:15 1500m pace off 30s (quite handy)

2nd set: 100% of 4:15 1500m pace off 1min (ok. manageable)

3rd set: 105% of 4:15 1500m pace off 2min (quite a bit of an effort)

4th set: 110% of 4:15 1500m pace off 4min (nowhere near - busted from running 47s in the previous set and 49s in the set before that)

Which also illustrates my problem with hitting race paces in sessions. I'd already run 4:15 1500m a couple of times already at this point in the season, but I found doing it in training was really hard.

Afterwards, I realised that this is the sort of thing that probably differentiates Canova's training from lots of others. The very long recoveries and getting used to over-pace reps. Probably something I need more of too! Hopefully get a chance to go again this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

This talk by Marcus O'Sullivan was my guide to the 8-10 x 3mins, so 8 x 3 off 1 or 8 x 3m30s off 90s at a very manageable pace has been my staple for the past few years. I think it's a brilliant talk...

https://swimmingcoach.org/understanding-threshold-from-a-runners-perspective-by-marcus-osullivan-2006/

That's a great article/talk - very informative.
    I'll need to read it a few times. Maybe compare with "Tinman".
    At the end he mentions a website with more details.
    Any idea where that is?

dna_leri wrote: »
    That's a great article/talk - very informative.
    I'll need to read it a few times. Maybe compare with "Tinman".
    At the end he mentions a website with more details.
    Any idea where that is?

It's a great story too!

I think a lot of coaches share that sentiment of undercooking sessions and slowly progressing them as a more sustainable type of fitness - which I'm 100% on board with, just sometimes find it hard to move on to the harder pre/competition phase sessions because I find I'm still getting a benefit from the easier ones or I feel like the "pull" approach is too much for me.

Re website: I found this just now:

https://slideplayer.com/slide/4323391/

---
    I started with 10 x 3mins off 1 min @30k pace today...and it was very enjoyable!

Good week’s training - very happy with it all.

62miles over 7 days - intensity of the sessions was very much kept in check and caught up a bit on sleep. A few weeks of this will do wonders. Actually had a knee niggle on Wednesday/Thursday but had it sorted by Friday.

Monday - 73mins @8:03

Tuesday - 40mins @6:32 consisting of 10 x 3mins off 1min - all except the last one were in 6:15 - 6:30 range.

Wednesday - 54mins @7:35

Thursday - Hills

6 x 20s hill off walkback - 20s up the path to the Magazine Fort - good, consistent gradient and smooth surface. Good sprint efforts.

As I get used to the miles + sessions, I will build up the # of intervals to, hopefully, 16.

Friday - 66mins @7:26

Saturday - 36mins @6:27 - 3 x 10mins off 2mins

Same session with company as last week in slightly better conditions. First 2 were nice and controlled and so was the first 7 minutes or so of the last rep, kicked in the last k feeling nice and strong after a good week of sensible training!

10mins @6:22
    10mins @6:11
    10mins @5:47

Sunday - 76mins @7:37

Plan next week is to repeat this week. And, hopefully, the week after too.

Good week’s training - very happy with it all.

62miles over 7 days - intensity of the sessions was very much kept in check and caught up a bit on sleep. A few weeks of this will do wonders. Actually had a knee niggle on Wednesday/Thursday but had it sorted by Friday.

Monday - 73mins @8:03

Tuesday - 40mins @6:32 consisting of 10 x 3mins off 1min - all except the last one were in 6:15 - 6:30 range.

Wednesday - 54mins @7:35

Thursday - Hills

6 x 20s hill off walkback - 20s up the path to the Magazine Fort - good, consistent gradient and smooth surface. Good sprint efforts.

As I get used to the miles + sessions, I will build up the # of intervals to, hopefully, 16.

Friday - 66mins @7:26

Saturday - 36mins @6:27 - 3 x 10mins off 2mins

Same session with company as last week in slightly better conditions. First 2 were nice and controlled and so was the first 7 minutes or so of the last rep, kicked in the last k feeling nice and strong after a good week of sensible training!

10mins @6:22
    10mins @5:47

Sunday - 76mins @7:37

Plan next week is to repeat this week. And, hopefully, the week after too.

A few quick ones:

The 10 x 1k off 1m @ 30k pace. 30k is your starting pace to build towards 15k I saw in Marcus slideshow?

That hill is the steep one straight up (steepest) to Magazine fort? Traction was ok?

Ever try the Vigil Fulcrum runs?
    https://marktosques.com/running/coach-vigils-fulcrum/
    I did something similar before but never stuck at it. The Marcus 1000s might have a similar initial effect: ability to run relaxed and strong throughout the session to give a strenght and aerobic base for the harder stuff later.

A few quick ones:

The 10 x 1k off 1m @ 30k pace. 30k is your starting pace to build towards 15k I saw in Marcus slideshow?

That hill is the steep one straight up (steepest) to Magazine fort? Traction was ok?

Ever try the Vigil Fulcrum runs?
    https://marktosques.com/running/coach-vigils-fulcrum/
    I did something similar before but never stuck at it. The Marcus 1000s might have a similar initial effect: ability to run relaxed and strong throughout the session to give a strenght and aerobic base for the harder stuff later.

30k pace was just a joke - it was a relaxed effort faster than marathon pace (but a good bit slower than HM pace). I'm just doing them as controlled as possible so that I still feel like going out the next day and running 8 miles! And being able to progress the hill session too.

So, the intention is simply, like you said above, to build a bit of strength for the harder stuff later. I would like to build it closer to 8x1k at threshold before I start doing anything harder but I might have to skip a step or two along the way, depending on the race calendar.

Last year, I didn't get much of a chance to do much harder stuff in between base and the track season. The 'Fulcrum' seems like a good route to that!

In the past, anything involving mile repeats is usually beyond me. And I've never been able to crack it in training.

Based on the tables in that link, I'm level III (my mile PB is 4'37" and I ran a sluggish 4'42" last September). So, for safety's sake, I'm towards the back end of level III. It suggests that 80% of my mile time (5:37 – 5:56) is roughly equal to my Marathon pace! I generally use 6:20/6:25 or so as my marathon pace. I think I *probably* could do mile repeats off 3mins in that range but I generally end up doing shorter repeats (even 400s or 200s) even at that pace.

Thanks for that link though - looks like there's some really, really good reading material on that site. I've already bookmarked a couple of posts!

The hill I'm using is actually just off military road -it's the tarmac road right up to the actual gate of the Magazine Fort on the opposite side to the Khyber i.e. not one of the (very steep) grass tracks that you see the sprinters using and not the one right beside the Khyber car park.

Thanks for the comments - feel free to drop in any other links you think might help!

This week was an exact replica of last week.

61miles over 7 days - intensity of the sessions again kept in check, with a few more hill sprints added to the session on Thursday.

As I’m keeping the sessions handier at the minute, I’ve noticed the easy days speed up the last couple of weeks. My legs just feel like running a bit quicker than usual and hr is nice and low, so it’s a good sign that I’m handling the load ok at the minute. Once I start pushing the sessions a bit more again, they’ll probably slow down.

Monday - 68mins @7:47

Tuesday - 40mins @6:33 consisting of 10 x 3mins off 1min - all except the last one were in 6:10 - 6:30 range. Will push this a little harder next week.

Wednesday - 52mins @7:23

Thursday - Hills

This was I did 12 x 20s hills off walkback, compared to 6 last week - same hill up the path to the Magazine Fort gate. Probably hold this at 12 next week.

Friday - 68mins @7:38

Saturday - 36mins @6:18 - 3 x 10mins off 2mins

Same session as last 2 weeks. Windy. Still felt a bit fatigued from Thursday’s hill session so wasn’t sure how this would work out. Very comfortable. Was running it solo so the recovery section was pretty brisk too.

10mins @ 6:16
    10mins @6:01

Sunday - a narrower window of 69mins @7:44

Plan next week is to repeat this week again. After that, I might move the Saturday session to Tuesday, until the track is back open, and do a faster fartlek on Saturdays.

Once the track is open, I’ll figure out a likely date (+ distance) for a track race and work backwards from that.

Another decent week this week, even if it was a bit all over the place in terms of structure, so didn't get to repeat the same week I did for the last two weeks.

61miles over seven days.

Monday - 71mins @7:54

Tuesday - went down to the Park to do 10 x 3mins off 1 min, but it was heaving and I didn’t really fancy doing lots of weaving so just did 10 x 6s hill sprints instead.

Wednesday - 67mins @7:33

Thursday - 36mins @ 6:17

I did my Saturday standard 3 x 10mins off 2mins around the acres on a Thursday. I knew beforehand it would mean a slightly lighter session at the weekend, as I had planned to hit it a little harder. Interestingly, it turned out that the overall pace + distance covered were essentially identical both weeks because, even though the interval paces were faster, the jog recoveries this week were a little slower than last week:

10mins @6:15
    10mins @6:04
    10mins @5:49

Did this in the Metaracers. I really like them - not sure how long they’ll last but if I can top 350 or so miles in them and get a bit of a discount, I’ll buy another pair.

Saturday - 4 x 15s HS followed by Mona Fartlek

Decided to do a Mona Fartlek this morning and, for no other reason than scratching an experimental itch I’ve had in my mind for a while, I did 4 x 15s hill sprints (hard) off walk-back before the session. I guess the theory would be that it’s a decent primer for a faster session. Don't think it made much or any difference but would prefer to leave more time between them and the session in future, if I repeat the experiment. The session itself was fine.

The Mona Fartlek is:

2×90s on/off
    4×60s on/off
    4×30s on/off
    4×15s on/off

Started off a bit brisk (uphill) and ended up with the final 2mins into a decent headwind so it wasn’t as progressive as I’d like. The 10 minutes of ‘on’ sections averaged about 5:05 pace. All in the TartherEdges.

3.41 miles @5:52 = 20mins

Sunday - 76mins @7:47

==> Thinking of trying a few weeks of the Fulcrum mile workouts that Demfad suggested above: 6 x 1 miles @80%; of mile time off 3mins + 3 (or 4) x 1 miles @ 85% of mile time off 3mins, until the track opens again. Will see how it goes and will be attempting these at the slower (slowest) end of the suggested ranges. If it’s too intense, I’ll step back - just want to keep the show on the road until May/June and news of track races.

SHOES:

Both my Dynaflytes and my Hyperion Tempo are coming to the end of their natural lives, so will be back looking for a daily dullard running shoe to replace them. Might go back for the Asics Noosa Gel Tri worked out for me (twice) last summer.

"Examples of Running Economy Runs

1K Mile 2K 3K
    Volume 6-7 Miles
    Pace Start at 85% of vVO2
    Work Up To 90-94%"

I think all reps run perfectly (as possible) relaxed/good technique.
    If you feel all reps are good the idea is to add 3% to intensity so then its 88% of vV02.

Think you do a two mile time trial at average session pace to determine if you are ready to up it a few %. If that is easy you are ready.

I have a good trick if you want to run on grass. For aerobic paces the metres covered per heartbeat is more or less constant.

For any run in any location (decent conditions) where you record your HR you can make this calculation:
    (metres covered)/(ave HR * time elapsed)=C

Once you have C you can fill in the blanks for say a starting intensity and distance to predict times/paces etc. for all aerobic running.

Not sure if i shared this link before:

https://www.txrunning.com/archives/11119

"Examples of Running Economy Runs

1K Mile 2K 3K
    Volume 6-7 Miles
    Pace Start at 85% of vVO2
    Work Up To 90-94%"

I think all reps run perfectly (as possible) relaxed/good technique.
    If you feel all reps are good the idea is to add 3% to intensity so then its 88% of vV02.

Thanks - miles @ 85% of my vV02 is probably beyond me. So, it would take me a while to work up to that. But, in the long term, that's the plan!

Bit of a muddled week last week. A combination of the weather, a slight ear problem and a severely disrupted schedule meant I was not feeling the love for running. So, just 47 miles over 5 days.

Truthfully, I was feeling tired and lazy anyway. And when it’s cold outside and I’m feeling like that, tired and lazy wins. I was born to race indoors.

However, I did get to do my first session of miles and first session of 800s in a very long time, so that was interesting.

Due to time shortages and various other factors, neither was done as originally intended. I was originally planning to do 6 x 1 mile @80%; of mile time (i.e. 80% of 4:42 ==> 5:52.50) off 3mins on Tuesday and 3 or 4 x 1 mile @85% of mile time (i.e. 85% of 4:42 ==> 5:31) off 3mins on Saturday i.e. explore the Fulcrum progressions discussed above.

Monday: 55mins @7:54

Wednesday: 5 x 1mile @5:50 off 2mins

As it turned out, I didn’t get out on Tuesday and was really squeezed on Wednesday so just did 5 x 1 mile @5:50 off 2mins on the road circuit around the Polo Grounds. I was trying to keep an eye on the watch for the first four, which always makes things considerably less enjoyable. And then just relaxed on the fifth.

Reps were: 5:50 / 5:52 / 5:49 / 5:51 / 5:43 => 6.2miles @ 6:17

And I kept the recoveries honest enough for the 2 mins.

The goal was to introduce myself to running miles intervals at a reasonable effort and give me somewhere to start from. Which I think it did.

For at least the next week, I’ll do miles again, this time 6 x 1 mile off 3mins. Not sure of the venue - the OS/Furze loop never really stuck, and while I hate the wind on the Acres, at least there's no traffic.

Pace-wise, I don’t really want to make it any speedier. The recoveries can be run slower as the miles speed up, but I don’t think anything faster than 5:45 is necessary at this point.

Thursday: 55mins @7:49

Saturday: 10 x 800 @2:45 off 2:45 => 8.5miles @ 6:26

For this, I was not at all confident of running 5:31 even for 3 x mile reps off 3mins, especially given the wind. So, I decided to do 10 x 800s @2:45 off equal recovery, which is roughly similar in intent. It went okay.

I slightly misjudged the effort required to run 2:45 into the wind on the first one so ran it a little bit fast and working a little harder than anticipated for the first half thereafter. Thankfully, the generous recoveries helped keep it under control and finish.

2:40 / 2:42 / 2:48 / 2:42 / 2:50 / 2:45 / 2:48 / 2:43 / 2:46 / 2:33 = 2:43.7 AVG.

Odd reps mostly into headwind averaged 2:46.4 and evens mostly with tailwind averaged 2:41. Also did the 4 x 15sec hill sprints by the Magazine Fort beforehand as a primer.

Not sure what to make of it. Don’t think I’ll make the 800s a weekly thing and while I think a few miles at 5:31 on the track with very slow recoveries might be okay, I might be working too hard on the acres to make it a sensible session at this point. We'll see...

Sunday: 77mins @7:41

---
    The sessions this week did get me thinking about my approach to intervals over the last few years, and that I probably should be running longer intervals more often than I do - harder with long recoveries. Mainly for a different type of stimulus, but also just to keep me sane while races or club sessions are still a while away.

• Advertisement

Good week’s training. 60+ miles, including two sessions and my longest run since the Amsterdam Marathon in 2012!

Monday - a very handy 39mins @7:58 pace

Tuesday - 6 x 1 mile @5:52 off 3mins = 7.82 miles @ 6:27

For whatever reason, I found this tough. There’s something about mile repeats at this intensity that I find very physically and psychologically uncomfortable. Won’t get a chance to repeat them next week because I’m planning easy miles all week. And while I am genuinely intrigued to see if I would ever get any more comfortable with long intervals at this pace the more I repeat them, I’d probably go for a slew of 400s instead if the track opens the week after.

Splits were: 5:59, 5:51, 5:48, 5:49, 5:54, 5:47 => AVG 5:52

Recoveries all around 8/8:30 until the last one, which was closer to 9:30.

Wednesday - 48mins @7:46

Thursday - 59mins @7:44 - First time going to the Park via the canal, but will definitely incorporate it into easy runs next week.

Friday - = 20mins @MHR (3 mins jog) + 8 x 400 off 200 = 6.6 miles @6:13

Really enjoyed this session. Lovely combination of easy steady running, followed by some relaxed 400s. Felt fit and fast. Which explains why I prefer sessions like this to Tuesday’s, which just make me feel slow!

20mins @MHR were actually a little under MHR but the effort was right: 20mins @6:09 pace. Followed by 3mins @ 8min pace and then into 8 400s:

400s: 79 / 80 / 79 / 78 / 81 / 79 / 77 / 69 = 78 AVG.

200m recoveries ranged from 54s to 1:00.

Saturday - 130mins @ 8:02 = 16.2 miles!!

My longest run since Amsterdam Marathon in 2012. I’d forgotten how draining a proper long run is. Ran into a club mate for a few miles in the second quarter which probably helped me pace it sensibly. I might do it again next week.

I remember (from 9 years ago!) that it takes a while to get used to them, but that they do get comfortable. I’m just doing easy miles midweek so I might throw a long run in instead of a session next weekend.

Not planning a marathon anytime soon but it’s probably good for me generally to be able to run 16miles in a row without needing a stretcher.

Sunday - 56mins @7:59

Nice and gentle self-care slow run. Ran into scottindublin and another club mate while I was trundling around. Lovely to be able to finish the week with a short run.

——

Good week, felt like the easy days were shorter/easier compared to recent weeks.

Mileage-wise, I’m a couple of hundred miles ahead of this time last year and certainly a lot more in touch with relevant paces. So, there’s no reason to think I won’t be able to hit similar times in the 1500m as last summer, whatever about other distances.

Will be interesting to see how fitness develops over the next couple of months. Hoping for a 5k @Dublin graded in June and then hopefully a couple of 1500s in July. A 3000m and, possibly, an 800m would make it a great summer.

Masters are in September. Hopefully, I'll be gearing towards xc at that point so I don't know what distance I'll do. 5k would make more sense but we'll see how the summer races go.

Triple-week update…

Week before the week before before last was 55 miles over 6 days with one truncated session. Was originally intending to do closer to 70 but unexpected work stuff meant a day was dropped. The week before last was 50miles over 6 days with one injury/niggle. This week was 15 miles over 4 days as I navigated the rocky road back to activity. (And I stayed off Strava last week, I always find it a bit hard watching everyone training so well when you’re off injured or out of form. So, it’s easier just not to know!).

WEEK 19th -25th April

Monday 49mins@7:48
    Tuesday 73mins@7:51
    Wednesday 77mins@7:42
    Thursday 48mins@7:42
    Friday (not supposed to be) OFF
    Saturday

Planned Session was 8 x 1 mile steady off 2mins

Actual session was 6 x 1 mile steady off 2mins ==> 7.59miles @ 6:25

Was originally planning to do 8 steady miles off a 2mins brisk jog but was starting to flag at 5, so just did 6 and kicked in the last one.
    6:16 / 6:11 / 6:08 / 6:13 / 6:15 / 5:36
    As with all mile sessions, tougher than I had planned.

Sunday 78mins @7:51

WEEK 26th April -2nd May

Monday 55mins @ 7:35

Tuesday 56mins @6:38

In lieu of a session, I did a (mostly) progressive run for this. Nice steady effort. Always feel better when one of these comes off.

Wednesday 77mins@8:04 BIG LOOP - up the canal and back to Phibsborough via a loop of trails in the Phoenix Park

Thursday 35mins@8:01 w/ 4 x 15HS off walk-back in the middle

Friday 4 x 4mins @LTHR off 75s - 3mins - 5 x 1min on/off

Standard. Tried to make it progressive (within a LTHR range) and then closer to goal 5k pace for the 1mins. Paces were good on the 4min intervals. My (gammy) right leg was tightening throughout and starting to get a bit pinchy towards the end. Didn’t realise it at the time but it was a very sharp recurrence of my sciatica/neural tension, that I could have headed off Friday night, but didn’t. So, it dragged on.

Saturday

This was a chore, thought it was just a bit of muscle soreness but I had to stop to stretch a few times as my right leg seized up. Nobbled.

Sunday OFF

WEEK 3rd May - 9th May

I’m pretty sure that if I went to a physio that, given the symptoms (and experience), they would have diagnosed it - even if only to be on the safe side - as a hamstring strain. Got stuck into my injury treatment protocol, which is basically an attempt to restore range of motion, start restoring strength and stretch/ease out as much as I can the back (lower mostly) and muscles around the hamstring/glutes, without any stretching of the hamstring.

Monday OFF

Tuesday 8mins @9:14 - short lap of the Basin

Wednesday OFF

Thursday OFF

Friday 27mins @8:22 - Up to the Zoo and back

Saturday 44mins @7:52 - cycled up to the Park and a lap of the trails. Felt ok in parts, but a little conscious of the neural tension towards the end and for the rest of the day.

Sunday 41mins @8:01 - cycled up to the Park and a slightly shorter lap of the trails than yesterday. Felt worse during run but fine the rest of the day.

Not too bad - missing 4 days with a proper "injury" is a good outcome.

5-DAY FORECAST

Club training is back tomorrow, but obviously not going to make that. Disappointed to have picked something up just as it looks like races are going to be back on soon (competition due to restart from June 7th). I’ll see how it is tomorrow and, if it’s okay tomorrow, I’ll go down to the club track tomorrow morning for a light session to test it a bit more. If that’s okay, I’ll try to get one of the Golden Ticket spots for club training on Saturday (demand exceeding supply due to the training pod constraints!).

LONGER TERM OUTLOOK

With races on the horizon, I’m not exactly sure where I stand right now. Last few weeks have been a bit sketchy and I always feel like I've lost a load of fitness with any time out. But if I’m uninjured, I’ll roll through the next few weeks with the club sessions on Saturdays, and probably do my own thing mid-week, hoping that will get me 1500/5000m fit in the next 4-5 weeks (AAI Games on the 13th, National Seniors on the 26th). Once races start, the sessions will have a bit more bite, so it would be really, really great to be able to start back full training by next weekend and have a full racing season to get the benefit from both.

In terms of goal races. I’d said I wanted to do a track 5k. Not sure when that will happen, to be honest. It won’t be a goal for the season, whenever it does. If I had to pick one goal, it would be to run the 1500m race I should have ran last season.

As I said above, Masters in September is just before xc, so it might make sense to have a go at the 5k there. However, I think it will be very hard to resist the temptation to run the 1500m and, depending on how everything goes, I might even throw my hat at the 800m too (my last decent one outdoors was the heats in National Seniors in 2018).

Leinster outdoors is probably the most likely for a 5k but, eh, I think it will be very hard to resist the temptation to run the 1500m…etc, etc.

Ironically, before I got injured, I had intended to get a proper gait analysis last week, to see if I could get more insight into a long-standing issue with my gait that makes me prone to injury on the right leg (and bad sciatica after any fast sessions) - just a difference in timing/coordination between the right and left that has its origins in my back. It’s not a huge issue over middle distance but it’s permanently there and it limits my ability to train consistently at the top end stuff, also makes very easy running awkward. I just think it would be great to resolve it if I could.

If I can get around to it, I'm also going to have a go at doing some strength training for the 1500m. I'm a classic ectomorph(!) and I'm hoping a small bit of extra power might go a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ectomorph eh. I'm still learning.

I can't remember if it was on my log or another's but I remember someone posting a warning about hill sprints and hamstring injuries before. It didn't put me off doing them TBH but after one or two hill sessions in the past I've had tight hamstrings. Never turned into an injury or anything but I wouldn't shy from taking a day off if I feel a run woulldn't be enough to loosen them out completely.

The "ectomorph" thing was in one of the first 800m training articles I read from the British Milers' Club magazine. I printed it out about 7 years ago! It was about developing "800m specialists" and one part was talking about how different types of athletes should approach weight training differently:
    If we take the mesomorph athlete and introduce weight training the chances are that they will bulk up and become too heavy. If they increase bodyweight too much their aerobic system may not be sufficiently developed to sustain this increased weight and subsequent loss in relative VO2 max. The mesomorph type runs the 800m through muscle power which results in very high lactate production and obvious muscle damage. These athletes need to learn to float around the track and emphasise tendon development through jumps training. Olympic Lifting weight training would not be suitable – power is already there. Circuit based work with 50-100m jogs between work stations would be a more suitable conditioning stimulus for the mesomorph athlete.

The more slightly built ectomorph athlete who can sprint fast probably has great reactive strength capabilities. Although a jumps programme should be implemented this athlete requires Olympic Lift Strength development to maximise muscular power. The slight increase in bodyweight due to weight training will not affect this athlete but the power gains will drastically improve performance.

For a skin-and-bones athlete like myself, who has basically no strength, it sounds like it would be worth at least trying out. I'm very much a floater when it comes to track running, and I'm running out of time to run PBs at middle-distance!

There's loads of stuff on their site, really, really brilliant stuff: https://www.britishmilersclub.com/bmcnews/

re: hill sprints

Honestly (personal opinion disclaimer), I think short hill-sprints are one of the safest things you can do, in terms of injury risk, and I'd actually consider them an important part of injury prevention. I need the the discipline to do them more often.

My injury stuff tends to happen after a long period of not paying attention to what I'm doing when I'm not running: too much looking at a phone, sitting hunched over a laptop especially around deadlines, or sitting legs crossed and then not paying attention to stretches or exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

re: hill sprints

Honestly (personal opinion disclaimer), I think short hill-sprints are one of the safest things you can do, in terms of injury risk, and I'd actually consider them an important part of injury prevention. I need the the discipline to do them more often.

My injury stuff tends to happen after a long period of not paying attention to what I'm doing when I'm not running: too much looking at a phone, sitting hunched over a laptop especially around deadlines, or sitting legs crossed and then not paying attention to stretches or exercises.

Hmmm, I can't not jump in here to say I missed a whole year of competition (2019) because of a hamstring tendonitis injury caused by the introduction of hill sprints to my routine. :(

Am I unusual? No idea!

Mulberry wrote: »
    Hmmm, I can't not jump in here to say I missed a whole year of competition (2019) because of a hamstring tendonitis injury caused by the introduction of hill sprints to my routine. :(

Am I unusual? No idea!

I missed a few seasons in recent years from injuries caused by bad sitting position and posture, so I sympathise with the agony of sitting out races!

I don't know how unusual you are and I can only say how they've worked for me, hence the disclaimer, but short all-out hill sprints (e.g. 6s-10s) would be fairly standard for distance runners and they're generally prescribed because, for some runners, they're often safer than flat sprints (probably because distance runners aren't really able to sprint that fast!).

Steve Magness has a couple of good posts on them:

https://www.scienceofrunning.com/2009/05/sprint-training-part-2.html?v=47e5dceea252
    Hill Sprints work as a great introduction to sprinting because it is almost impossible to get hurt doing them. In addition, it’s almost impossible to sprint wrong while doing them too. They really emphasize hip extension and it’s very hard to land on your heel while sprinting up a hill.

Obviously, you've got to be sensible with them but I think that applies to all additions to a training programme, so I wouldn't necessarily avoid them on that basis.

Certain stressors are probably always going to expose specific underlying weaknesses but, for me, flat sprints do that to a greater degree than hill sprints on a good surface because the hill sprints force me into a good sprinting posture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Mulberry wrote: »

Am I unusual? No idea!

I'm assuming you'd be doing much longer hill sprints given you're training as a sprinter? Like 100m reps, 150m reps, 200m reps etc. The hill sprints that distance runners do are much shorter, 6-10 seconds as Sacksian mentioned. So they are fairly incomparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you'd be doing much longer hill sprints given you're training as a sprinter? Like 100m reps, 150m reps, 200m reps etc. The hill sprints that distance runners do are much shorter, 6-10 seconds as Sacksian mentioned. So they are fairly incomparable.

The hills I was referring to were 150m in length also. So very short are fine. Longer are a bit more risky?

The hills I was referring to were 150m in length also. So very short are fine. Longer are a bit more risky?

I think, for distance runners, they become more hill intervals/repetitions (not hill sprints) once you go above 10s!

Same with anything, treat any new stimulus with caution.

As Chivito says, a sprinter's long sprint is very different to a distance runner's hill work. Trying to sprint hard for any duration without warming up sufficiently is not a good idea and trying to push yourself hard up a hill when you're fatigued (insufficiently recovered) might result in sloppy mechanics that create a stress somewhere you're not able to tolerate.

What's 'risky' for you is obviously going to depend on your specific weaknesses (which you might not know about until after the event!).

There are lads doing 800m hill intervals up the Khyber in the Phoenix Park, where the recoveries are a steady downhill - no one's sprinting for 2+ minutes up a hill! It's not steep enough, and too long, to be working biomechanics, so it's really just a strength workout with the hill (and wind, if you're unlucky!) adding resistance. There's probably not much injury risk in those.

For any workout, I always want know what is the purpose behind it is. Is there a specific dimension it's supposed to condition or improve? That helps me figure out how hard I run the 'on' bits and what I'm doing with the recovery.

A steep 150m hill is long for a short sprinter but Clyde Hart's 400m training could have 6 of those off jog back. They're short for an 800m runner.

That's a lot of words for very little informative return.

• Advertisement

I think, for distance runners, they become more hill intervals/repetitions (not hill sprints) once you go above 10s!

Same with anything, treat any new stimulus with caution.

. Trying to sprint hard for any duration without warming up sufficiently is not a good idea and trying to push yourself hard up a hill when you're fatigued (insufficiently recovered) might result in sloppy mechanics that create a stress somewhere you're not able to tolerate.

Think that's key.

Q is: how can you prepare to make hill sprints safe?

-Practice flat strides then flat sprints for a few weeks
    -warm up well including strides on the flat and on the hill
    -For good mechanics run the sessions as fast as possible but WITH good form. Don't force it.
    -Running as perpendicular to hill as poss but with good mechanics will hit specific muscles (for non sprinters i guess).
    -Start safe (8s and small number) and build slowly

Think that's key.

Q is: how can you prepare to make hill sprints safe?

-Practice flat strides then flat sprints for a few weeks
    -warm up well including strides on the flat and on the hill
    -For good mechanics run the sessions as fast as possible but WITH good form. Don't force it.
    -Running as perpendicular to hill as poss but with good mechanics will hit specific muscles (for non sprinters i guess).
    -Start safe (8s and small number) and build slowly

Again, this is personal opinion, but I would actually start with hill sprints before moving to flat sprints, as flat sprints cause more of an injury risk (for me). There's loads out there to support why you would do hills --> flat, rather than flat --> hill, but, for me, hills force good mechanics more than flat. You can't overstride going up a hill and overstriding at speed is a quick way to put a lot of stress on places that may not be able to take it!!

Again, this is personal opinion, but I would actually start with hill sprints before moving to flat sprints, as flat sprints cause more of an injury risk (for me). There's loads out there to support why you would do hills --> flat, rather than flat --> hill, but, for me, hills force good mechanics more than flat. You can't overstride going up a hill and overstriding at speed is a quick way to put a lot of stress on places that may not be able to take it!!

Sorry, didn't mean full on flat sprints, but I guess well executed fast strides. For me I think mechanics difficult to get right on steep sprints compared to shallower ground. Maybe a solution is to practice on moderate hills first...

Sorry, didn't mean full on flat sprints, but I guess well executed fast strides. For me I think mechanics difficult to get right on steep sprints compared to shallower ground. Maybe a solution is to practice on moderate hills first...

The theory behind "hills --> flat" would be that steep-ish hills *force* good mechanics - but I do think everyone should go out and experiment for themselves and see what works!

At this point, it is necessary to tell Geroge Malley's story, taken from Letsrun, of when Henry Rono revealed the secret of running to Steve Dinatale.
    As Rono sat at the bar nursing a cold one, The Dina started a conversation about Salazar and training, and he kept the beers flowing freely, figuring it was truth serum so that he could extract the secrets of running from five-time world-record holder Henry Rono.

Finally, stting on a barstool, Henry opened up, and the conversation went something like this:

"Tooooz-day... Sal-luh-zahhh.... trrraack," said Rono, shaking his head "no."

"Tourrrz-day.... Sal-luh-zahhh.... trrraack," again shaking his head no.

"Saaa-tuhh-day.... Sal-luh-zahhh.... trrraack," emphatically shaking his head no.

Dina listened intently.

"Dee Heeeeel!" shouted Rono, with his arm extended straight and pointing uphill.

The Dina figured he was privy to a rare inside glimpse into the training that made Rono a legend, leaned forward at the bar to finally coax out the name and location of the secret incline.

"Henry, what hill?" he asked earnestly.

"Steve," Henry waved his arms maniacally, ..... "ANY HEEEEEEEL!"

Given that I’m still not uninjured, I should probably be a little less satisfied with the week’s training than I am, but 30miles + 7 days of activity feels like a win in the circumstances.

Monday - a relaxed 39mins @7:54

Tuesday, I went down to the club track and tried a gentle enough session but realised I was too crocked for a continuous effort on the track at the minute, so was back to square two.

Plans was to do 3k warm-up at mhr and then a relaxed 8 x 200m. Leg got pinchy at 2700m (in 10m26s) so I pulled the plug then.

Wednesday - a laboured 14mins run and about 5 miles walking.

Thursday - tried some very light intervals 10 x 1min running off 1 min jog/walk ==> 20mins @ 8:01

Friday - tried some slightly less light intervals 8 x 2min running off 1 min jog/walk ==> 24mins @ 7:28

Saturday (46mins @ 7:37) and Sunday (47mins @ 7:35) were easy running to get me back at least to where I was on Sunday last week, which is where I think I am at the minute. I’ve been cycling up to the park, keeping to my standard trails loops and just keeping the intensity low enough so that I don’t get any sensation from the leg and it doesn’t tighten up/get aggravated.

Another week of holding my breath. I'm happy enough doing the 45min trail runs with the odd fartlek session. My leg feels fine at the moment but as the attempt on Tuesday shows, it just needs a misjudged half-session and you’re set back. The good thing about the fartlek sessions is that you can test the waters progressively throughout the session and, if things are going okay, at least get a bit of turnover in the legs.

• Advertisement

Good week - (almost) 40 miles, 1.5 sessions and some hill sprints!

Apart from 20minutes on Thursday, it was all on the trails in the Park, which means there’s also 20+ miles of cycling in there.

Monday - 45mins @ 7:26

Tuesday - 46mins @ 7:30

Wednesday -
    Attempted a tentative session of 10 x 2mins on/ 1 min off through the Park trails and around the 15 acres ==> 30mins @6:28

Paces for the ‘on’ sections started at 6:20 and finished at 5:20 and the off sections were generally under 8min pace.

Thursday - Up the canal and back for 22mins @7:43, just to make sure everything was ok after yesterday.

Friday - 4 x 15s HS off walk-back @ the Magazine Fort. Just to make sure everything was okay for tomorrow.

Saturday - 16 x 400m off 200m @ Polos ==> 40mins @6:39

Very excited about this - first group training session since OCTOBER 12th. Saturday sessions on the Polos are always very enjoyable. We always get good numbers (currently in pods of 15) and there's something magical about those Saturday mornings, when there's a massively diverse group of people, targeting distances from 1500m to 50k, and everything in between, 5k runners from 15minutes to 30minutes, all doing the same session and united in their love of running!!

Anyway, wasn’t sure how it’d go, but I thought I’d be able to ease myself into it. Was lucky enough to have Barbara there who I’d generally run the xc sessions with. We started off very relaxed at 86s and then settled at 81/80 from #4 to #12, sped up a little on the next few and then I felt good enough to finish with a 70s rep. Average 81s. Recoveries very handy.

As a first session back after some enforced inactivity, I’m very happy with that (the reduced mileage in recent weeks probably meant I was a little fresher for it too). Didn’t feel like it was an effort aerobically or bio-mechanically, and the grass is probably a second or so slower than the track for the same effort.

Already looking forward to the planned 25 x 400m!

Sunday - 47mins @7:54

Next week should be okay but my right ankle is a bit tender - I decided to wear my spikes for the first time since 26th December and there’s a bit of a reaction to that.

I know what sessions I want to do in this period. I’m going to try and do the club session on Saturday as often as I can, and I have midweek sessions planned for the next while, but will see how I feel before deciding which specific session to do.

I haven't made a decision on what mileage to aim for. I've enjoyed the reduced mileage and the feeling of freshness but there's no doubt about the strength benefits I got last year from a consistent 50-60mpw.

Forgive me forum, for I have slipped down to page 4 of the training logs. It has been four weeks since my last update.

Last 4 weeks have been:

24/05 - 30/05 - 38.3 miles
    31/05 - 06/06 26.1 miles
    07/06 - 13/06 21 miles
    14/06 - 20/06 22 miles

And I was rehabbing for large portion of the previous three weeks too, so really the last two months have been quite badly interrupted.

Since I last posted, I was unfortunately struck down with a calf strain/niggle caused by excessive going up and down the stairs moving heavy things the day after a heavy hill session and before a club session (16 x 300 off 200/175 @ polos), where my calf went on the LAST one!!

I tried to rehab it quite aggressively (no time off, but short jog/walk runs everyday) and was able to start the session the following Saturday (200s + 400s @approx 5k pace) but calf seized half-way through.

Took two days off this time and calf was fine for an easy 5-miler before stiffening, but managed it again so that I could attempt another session the following Saturday - which I was able to do 2/3s of, at a reduced intensity, before getting the stiffening sensation.

Next morning was in a bit of a rush to get back home - to get the jab - and stupidly pushed it on the run, and calf went again.

Took 3 days off this time and paid proper attention to calf raises (gastroc + soleus) and that seems to have settled it. Will try a fartlek or a light tempo on Tuesday and I’ll know more then.

50mins @7:32 this morning and a good chat with scotindublin which gave me a chance to live vicariously through other people’s track races.

——

Unfortunately, the ****-show of the last 7 weeks means I may have to forget about track this summer, but will keep an open mind. Masters and Road Relays in September will help to keep me focused and there’s alway the possibility that a few good weeks strung together will give me a completely different perspective by mid-July.

(one benefit of running less is that my legs feel really great - but that'll change once I start being able to run hard again!)

41 miles for the week and first week over 40 since the last week of April. 7 days of running, including two sort of sessions.

Monday - 47mins @7:41. My daily standard these weeks - approx 10k all on trails in the Phoenix Park.
    Tuesday - 45mins @7:14. As above.

On Wednesday, I did a very light session of 10mins warm-up and then 8 x 3mins off 1 min with the 3mins at a sort of ‘steady’ pace. This ended up as 42mins @ 6:52. Same route as above.

Thursday - 56mins @ 7:26. Ran up to Park and back.
    Friday - 29mins @7:25. Few miles in the park.

Saturday. Back to the club session and finally completed one without my calf going. Big group as usual on the Polos. The session was 20 x 200m off 200m-ish. Which is basically my favourite session. The 200s were around 5k pace, generally somewhere between 38s and 41s, and I kept the recoveries rolling generally around 55s (7min pace). Opened up on the last one for a 33s, which felt good (and relaxed). This was a rhythm session for us on the way to doing 20 x 400m. Very fortunate to have Kev to pull me around for the session, who is going off this week to represent Ireland in the World Orienteering Championships in the Czech Republic.

The reason I love this session is that it’s such a versatile session. I love doing it as a 5k session where you’re really rolling on the recoveries but you can also do 20 200s @ 3k/mile pace if you slow down the recoveries appropriately. And I generally do this a few times a year.

This ended up as 5 miles in 30:32, which is (for me) a hell of a lot easier to run as 200 on/off than as a straight 5 miles, even though you’re still covering the same distance. I say I completed the session, but there was the option of doing 25 200s instead of 20, but I was pushing my luck even doing 20 and throwing in the fast last rep, so called it a day at 20 (as did Kev!).

Sunday - 31mins @7:43. Redirected a motorist who had somehow found their way onto the cycle path around the pitches at the 15 acres. No mean feat. And, as mad as this sounds, I have a vague memory of having been confronted with this before

I’ve dropped mileage by cycling up and back to the park every day, instead of running. No calf niggles at the moment but my knee is grumbling (probably from the extra 30mpw cycling I’m doing). It’s amazing what a difference a drop in mileage does for my easy running pace. At 60 miles, it’s very much closer to 8mins. At 50, it starts coming down a little. And, at 40, it comes down again.

No plans worth putting down on paper for the moment, will just see how the weeks go. Saturday’s session was more encouraging than I was expecting, but it’s the type of session that is always flattering for me. Won't be able to run as much this week but hopefully still hit 40.

Advertisement