Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hernia and return to running

Options
  • 30-12-2019 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Just wondering if I could get some feedback from others who have had hernia injury and how you got sorted.

I think I have a hernia near groin. Stressing about it as i see alot of post op issues for people who have gone ahead with an op.

Would really like to hear any guidance or feedback from others who have had it.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Hi Tommy;

First things first have a visit to the Doc and get confirmation on what is going on.

I had a double hernia op in the middle of November in 2017 (both sides of my groin). On guidance from the consultant I ran pretty much up to having my op.

Thankfully I had keyhole surgery on mine; the first few days post op weren't too pleasant but I took the medication the Doc gave me; I was ok getting up and about and it was more uncomfortable than anything; I was also able to get out for short walks pretty much straight away.

In the end I had 2 weeks off work and had to be careful lifting etc for about 6 weeks. I was back out doing light running after 4 weeks.

Like I said first thing to do is get it diagnosed. Any questions feel free to ask here or drop a PM.

C
    Tommy Max wrote: »
    Just wondering if I could get some feedback from others who have had hernia injury and how you got sorted.

I think I have a hernia near groin. Stressing about it as i see alot of post op issues for people who have gone ahead with an op.

Would really like to hear any guidance or feedback from others who have had it.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ger 36

Hi Tommy
    I had an open tension free inguinal hernia repair on the 2nd January, I am 55 and compete in triathlons and was back doing easy training after 3 weeks without any difficulty, 4 weeks from the operation and I am in good shape although I don't intend going back to normal levels until 6 weeks is up so I am confident that the repair has healed fully. I am still tender and somewhat numb in the groin area but that improves everyday and does not affect my mobility in any way. I did suffer discomfort for the first few weeks so it not a walk in the park.
    Best of luck, Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

Hi Tommy,

In general, I wouldn't recommend researching on the internet before surgery - you do seem to just read about all the bad cases...

However, in this instance, I would recommend reading up a bit about the differences between open and keyhole surgery - also on whether to use a mesh or not.

Places like PubMed, Cochrane Library, NHS, etc will give you independent advice

In my own case, I had keyhole surgery, but the defect was so large that the surgeon had to change over to open during the surgery - in doing so, he damaged a nerve....

In general surgeons seem to prefer keyhole, but I know in the UK that the NHS decided to only provide open surgery, as there was no significant difference in outcomes, and open was more economic.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/inguinal-hernia-repair/what-happens/
    Recent guidance from the British Hernia Society advises to repair most primary single-sided hernias (those appearing for the first time on just one side) using the open technique.

Keyhole techniques are usually only recommended for recurrent or bilateral hernias.

Advertisement