Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice on preparing for the interview

• 31-12-2019 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I've got my interview coming up next month.
    I've also got a prep session with GardaIP coming up too.

I need some advice on how to go about answering the competency questions.

I know about the STAR structure:
    Situation - The problem/situation.
    Task - What did you have to do.
    Action - What exactly did you do, step by step but concise.
    Result - What happened, did you learn anything from it?

Do you just fly through them?
    So I'd start with say conscientiousness and say:
    "There was an issue regarding ....."
    I had to ....."
    I did ..... by doing ..., ... and ..."
    As a result, ...."

What I'm taking from all of this is it is a quite formal and straight-forward process, right?
    Do they ask about the info on your application form?
    "So I see you dropped out of college, why?"

I'm not really sure how to go about this whole thing so any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

MrMiata wrote: »
    I've got my interview coming up next month.
    I've also got a prep session with GardaIP coming up too.

I need some advice on how to go about answering the competency questions.

I know about the STAR structure:
    Situation - The problem/situation.
    Task - What did you have to do.
    Action - What exactly did you do, step by step but concise.
    Result - What happened, did you learn anything from it?

Do you just fly through them?
    So I'd start with say conscientiousness and say:
    "There was an issue regarding ....."
    I had to ....."
    I did ..... by doing ..., ... and ..."
    As a result, ...."

What I'm taking from all of this is it is a quite formal and straight-forward process, right?
    Do they ask about the info on your application form?
    "So I see you dropped out of college, why?"

I'm not really sure how to go about this whole thing so any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi I never did any courses Just sat with a super and helped with with the questions from the format they gave us.
    I really didn’t think I’d pass considering the first half if my interview was a shocker and they tried they’re best to help me but the first thing the did ask was the application I filled in from the start of the process. How long I was out of schooling and what did I do in between not working. Also about my leaving cert results and also my involvement in the community. They are so easy going and will try make you feel at ease once you enter the room. They are there to pass you so once you got what you mentioned you breeze through it.
    They do ask you a question at the end that will through you off that varied from peeps to person. I forget what mine was but I know I didn’t answer it and just said sorry I cannot answer right now. Hope some of this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Triplek wrote: »
    Hi I never did any courses Just sat with a super and helped with with the questions from the format they gave us.
    I really didn’t think I’d pass considering the first half if my interview was a shocker and they tried they’re best to help me but the first thing the did ask was the application I filled in from the start of the process. How long I was out of schooling and what did I do in between not working. Also about my leaving cert results and also my involvement in the community. They are so easy going and will try make you feel at ease once you enter the room. They are there to pass you so once you got what you mentioned you breeze through it.
    They do ask you a question at the end that will through you off that varied from peeps to person. I forget what mine was but I know I didn’t answer it and just said sorry I cannot answer right now. Hope some of this helps

Thanks!

I completed a Garda prep course between now and then and I found it very helpful.
    Main point for me was to ensure all gaps were filled..
    My history is a bit all over the place between leaving college, doing an apprenticeship, rejoining and what not, so I just have to be air-tight on what I did, when I did it and if I can add in how those experiences will work in my favour as a trainee Garda I'm good to go.

What type of thing do they ask at the end?
    Is it a weird question, some variation of 'where do you see yourself in 10 years time?' or is it relating to your competencies?

I've a lot to go over between now and my interview but fingers crossed it all goes well, I might be seeing ya in Templemore!

Advertisement