Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admin Command Prompt help

Options
  • 31-12-2019 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

HI All,

This is probably a silly question, but I need a little help with entering code in command prompt in windows 10.

I use an old Microsoft App called Photodraw and want to install it on my new windows 10 PC.

I have the insataller and article on reddit :
    https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3g2ij6/psa_how_to_get_microsoft_photodraw_v2_office_2000/

How do I enter the code in command prompt?

DO I copy and paste one line at a time and hit enter?
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\Ole DB"
    regsvr32 MSOLAP.DLL
    regsvr32 MSMDCUBE.DLL
    regsvr32 MSMDGDRV.DLL
    regsvr32 MSOLAPUI.DLL

when i start command prompt I see this to begin...
    C:\Windows\system32>

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sticker wrote: »
    HI All,

This is probably a silly question, but I need a little help with entering code in command prompt in windows 10.

I use an old Microsoft App called Photodraw and want to install it on my new windows 10 PC.

I have the insataller and article on reddit :
    https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3g2ij6/psa_how_to_get_microsoft_photodraw_v2_office_2000/

How do I enter the code in command prompt?

DO I copy and paste one line at a time and hit enter?

when i start command prompt I see this to begin...

Thanks!

In the command prompt type:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\Ole DB"

... and hit enter.

You will see the current directory change.

Then type each of the rest of the commands

Yes, you can copy each line and paste into the command prompt

You may have to open the command prompt with admin privileges... Right click on Command and Run as Administrator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

It doesnt seem to work - see video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksRUjld8tvY&feature=youtu.be

Can you find those DLL files in this directory?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\Ole DB

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Can you find those DLL files in this directory?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\Ole DB

Yes, I see them there...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What happens now when you try open the Photodraw app, after entering those commands?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    What happens now when you try open the Photodraw app, after entering those commands?

I get a loading icon for a few seconds and then nothing...

I'm on my phone now, I'll check in later.

But funny how you don't get an error after the reg command

I'm on my phone now, I'll check in later.

But funny how you don't get an error after the reg command

Sorry to disturb. Any further ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

If you can't get it to work, Paint Shop Pro 7 free edition from back around the same time works just fine on Win10, and it has a similar featureset. Just remember if you're on a hires display to tell its Compatibility settings to adaptively scale the PSP7 UI.

Have you tried opening the command prompt with admin rights (run as Administrator)?

Have you tried opening the command prompt with admin rights (run as Administrator)?

Yes, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and tried again, its so frustrating, I've a ton of .mix image files so I need this to work!

No error messages at all?
    Have you tried Help on the regsvr command?

No error messages at all?
    Have you tried Help on the regsvr command?

Once I click on the Photodraw launcher or a .mix file, I get the loading icon (hour glass) and then nothing happens - no error window. Nothing!

How do I do the regsvr command?

Thanks

Once I click on the Photodraw launcher or a .mix file, I get the loading icon (hour glass) and then nothing happens - no error window. Nothing!

How do I do the regsvr command?

Thanks

Open the command prompt in admin mode.
    Type help regsvr32
    See if you get usage instructions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

DLLs have different versions. You need the correct version for the software you want to use. Also they often need other DLLs to work. A family of DLLs all compatible with each other.

You can't just install them at random. You need to find out the correct versions and their dependencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You have run it in compatibility mode also.

Find the shortcut for Microsoft Photodraw V2

Right click

Properties

Compatibility

Choose Windows 8

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is anything of relevance here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photodraw-v2-on-windows-10/704b9cc4-289b-46a2-926d-b8dfd28d4a37
    or here:
    https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/microsoft-photodraw-v2-on-windows-10.111578/

It looks as if people have gotten it working but I know even the various releases of windows 10 can have significant changes when it comes to things like this.

Open the command prompt in admin mode.
    Type help regsvr32
    See if you get usage instructions

I get this window when I try that

df.png

• Advertisement

OK, try again and provide the name of the dll you want to register.

Make sure you open the command prompt in admin mode.

kippy wrote: »
    Is anything of relevance here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photodraw-v2-on-windows-10/704b9cc4-289b-46a2-926d-b8dfd28d4a37
    or here:
    https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/microsoft-photodraw-v2-on-windows-10.111578/

It looks as if people have gotten it working but I know even the various releases of windows 10 can have significant changes when it comes to things like this.

Tried that and it did not work... I've done a full install and did the command prompt as per top post here again.

Maybe I should uninsatll and fresh install and try the solution without the command prompt entries? or are these important to do?

I think the four DLL's are properly registered - otherwise there would be an error message of some sort on opening the application.
    The issue is either a missing file/location ( as mentioned in the first link in my post above) and/or the need to run the app in compatibility mode.

OK, try again and provide the name of the dll you want to register.

Make sure you open the command prompt in admin mode.

Sorry I'm not following: provide the name of the dll you want to register.

I think the four DLL's are properly registered - otherwise there would be an error message of some sort on opening the application.
    The issue is either a missing file/location ( as mentioned in the first link in my post above) and/or the need to run the app in compatibility mode.

I've tried compatability mode for windows 8 - it did not work...

Very frustrating!!

Can you confirm whether or not you have the app configured to run in Win8 Compatability mode?

regsvr32 MSOLAP.DLL
    regsvr32 MSMDCUBE.DLL
    regsvr32 MSMDGDRV.DLL
    regsvr32 MSOLAPUI.DLL

I've tried compatability mode for windows 8 - it did not work...

Very frustrating!!

Can you select another option for compatability mode? (XP SP3for example?) And select the tick box to "Run this program as an administrator"
    Failing that and a restart, have you tried running the compatability troubleshooter?

• Advertisement

Can you select another option for compatability mode? (XP SP3for example?) And select the tick box to "Run this program as an administrator"
    Failing that and a restart, have you tried running the compatability troubleshooter?

I'll try a restart of the PC - see video just posted. Thanks again...

Advertisement