Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem using a pay as you go sim card in 4g router

Options
  • 31-12-2019 1:53pm

I have a vodafone pay as you go sim card that I want to use in a 4g router.
    I have tried it in the 4g router and an internet dongle but can't get any internet.
    When I log into the router, it says that I am connected to Vodafone, but my laptop tells me that there is no internet connection.
    Is there some setting to change or will the pay as you go phone sims, not work as data sims.
    Any help, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Check the APN, needs to be...
    live.vodafone.com

Is there any credit on the SIM? Is there an active plan on the SIM? Is data working when the SIM is used in a phone?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Check the APN, needs to be...

Is there any credit on the SIM? Is there an active plan on the SIM? Is data working when the SIM is used in a phone?

Thanks
    I have changed the apn, sim works in phone and there is credit.
    Just onto Vodafone chat and they are telling me that it won't work and that I need a new sim card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Can you tether from the phone to the laptop? Just be aware that some phones automatically change to a chargeable APN when tethering, (eg iphones and android 8+)

Is there a current active plan like Vodafone X?

Vodafone chat will likely say it won't work as they want people to buy separate broadband devices and bundles. They may have a way of blocking routers but it should work if all the settings are correct. Is there a SIM PIN code setting in the router that might be set on and needs to be entered to work. Or else turn off PIN code in the phone but this might turn back on in a different device.

If the SIM is showing up connected in the router then a new SIM won't make any difference.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Can you tether from the phone to the laptop? Just be aware that some phones automatically change to a chargeable APN when tethering, (eg iphones and android 8+)

Is there a current active plan like Vodafone X?

Vodafone chat will likely say it won't work as they want people to buy separate broadband devices and bundles. They may have a way of blocking routers but it should work if all the settings are correct. Is there a SIM PIN code setting in the router that might be set on and needs to be entered to work. Or else turn off PIN code in the phone but this might turn back on in a different device.

If the SIM is showing up connected in the router then a new SIM won't make any difference.

I have a sim in my phone which I can tether to. I also have a sim with a broadband plan and that works in the router and dongle. So they are working fine.
    My guess is that they block the phone sims being used as data sims.
    I was just trying to save myself the job of going to a Vodafone store. But I think that is what I will have to do.
    Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement